What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Classes

Comments

• Options
    streethawkestreethawke Member Posts: 705 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Not covered by the NDA... but When Bill Murphey from MMORPG.com was playing with Zeke yesterday during a live stream, Zeke made mention that there would indeed be more classes at launch. He did not say what.

Earlier in the gameplay, Zeke did say how important it was for the team to make the game "Very Dungeons and Dragons-like". So when Bill asked if there would be archers, Zeke stated "I can't say for sure, but it would be Dungeon's and Dragons-like to have them".

I think there will be plenty of classes added in the future... I just hope they dont screw up druid.

*shrugs* sorry, just how I feel on that one.
    b_ro.png
    When you want to break the mold

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    trayaltrayal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm pretty sad that we do not have all of the 4e classes that were in the first Player's Handbook. Paladin, Ranger, Warlord, Warlock are all no shows.

I can understand not making it to the 2nd and 3rd player's handbook stuff like Avenger, Invoker, or my favorite, Monk, but not having all of the 4th edition launch classes does make me a bit saddened.

Also, the races leave much to be desired. Dragonborn, Eladrin are also from the base PHB. From the non base PHB, I'd really like Aasemar, Shade/Shadar-kAi, and Minotaur.

Regardless, still excited.
  • Options
    fugitive1001fugitive1001 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    My only question as of now is what can this game provide me as a mostly PvP player? I have heard there is PvP content in the game but with only 5 classes and 6 skills.. it just seems like GW2 but worse (since GW2 did have more skills via different weapons) Also since this is my 1st DnD game, I know NOTHING about how these types of games work. So I mean, will there be Open World PvP? Or battlegrounds?
  • Options
    jambalayajakejambalayajake Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    WTF IS THACO?????!?!?!?!!lol
  • Options
    sirvantraxsirvantrax Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Dont forget that this is a Closed BETA and we are only looking at things they have already ALPHA tested. They will artifically contrain what we can access in order to ensure that everything is properly tested and concentrate the testing pool on specific groups. You will likely find in the next beta we will have a new set of classes to play, and have the ones we are testing now be locked.

Open Beta is where its finished and you are stress testing and trying to polish things like your netcode when you have massive player numbers.

It would be sucidide for the game to launch without some of the halmark classes of DnD including the ranger and paladin. It would prompt many players to reconsider the game, and likely consider it rushed or 'half baked'.

This should really be about mechanics and responsiveness at this stage.
  • Options
    trayaltrayal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sirvantrax wrote: »
    Dont forget that this is a Closed BETA and we are only looking at things they have already ALPHA tested. They will artifically contrain what we can access in order to ensure that everything is properly tested and concentrate the testing pool on specific groups. You will likely find in the next beta we will have a new set of classes to play, and have the ones we are testing now be locked.

Open Beta is where its finished and you are stress testing and trying to polish things like your netcode when you have massive player numbers.

It would be sucidide for the game to launch without some of the halmark classes of DnD including the ranger and paladin. It would prompt many players to reconsider the game, and likely consider it rushed or 'half baked'.

This should really be about mechanics and responsiveness at this stage.

As much as your hope and enthusiasm spurs me to also hope, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, launch classes are GW Fighter, Guardian Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard(Control). Thats it.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    trayal wrote: »
    As much as your hope and enthusiasm spurs me to also hope, unless I'm remembering incorrectly, launch classes are GW Fighter, Guardian Fighter, Rogue, Cleric, Wizard(Control). Thats it.

No. Not entirely accurate. The mmorpg.com stream from Wed has Zeke stating that there would be more classes that would make it to launch. Even though he did not say it directly, he did hint there may be an archer class, if not by launch then in the future because it would be "D&D-like" and he said making the game D&D-like was very important to them.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    goukeikengoukeiken Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    No. Not entirely accurate. The mmorpg.com stream from Wed has Zeke stating that there would be more classes that would make it to launch. Even though he did not say it directly, he did hint there may be an archer class, if not by launch then in the future because it would be "D&D-like" and he said making the game D&D-like was very important to them.

I don't think he was implying that the classes would make it to launch, just that it wouldn't be very D&D if they didn't have that class in the game at all. To me that just meant they probably had something in mind, and it would be implemented in the future.
  • Options
    slambitslambit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 282 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    sofar they commited to 5 classes at launch, and hinted strongly at more after launch.

if you watch totalbiscuits video, the dev mentions it is okay to launch with few fun and well made things and add in more as you can.

Do no take above as direct quote or gospel, for that, watch the gorgeous 1 hour video.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/setView/videos/gameID/634/videoId/2931

At 1 hour 24 minutes it starts... and ends at 1 hour 25 minutes.

Granted my brain plugged in "at launch" because I heard it, but in all fairness Zeke did say in the "future for sure". Sorry Zeke!!! Forgive me!
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    bloodsuckingparasitebloodsuckingparasite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I keep seeing people saying that they will charge us for classes? What is your reasoning for this?

There are games out there that do not charge you for new characters and classes that are free to play.

I think the real issue is the character slots, but I can't be for sure until more information is gathered.
  • Options
    fugitive1001fugitive1001 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I keep seeing people saying that they will charge us for classes? What is your reasoning for this?

There are games out there that do not charge you for new characters and classes that are free to play.

I think the real issue is the character slots, but I can't be for sure until more information is gathered.

Because this is Perfect World Entertainment we are talking about. Do you know anything about their history with greed and terrible money hungry cash shops? I do not think it will happen but there is a very good chance it might. Hopefully they see that if they do charge people for more classes or races, they will ruin the game.
  • Options
    manilein1234manilein1234 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Gimme a Bard :D
  • Options
    rickmanrickman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

People are Expecting the Worst... and also because the other D&D game online... does charge for Character Classes.
    Personally i don't think they will... or they will but only for Some that are Completly Different.
    Diplomancy: Sometimes "I hit it with my Axe" is the only Answer.
    A Challenge is something interesting and awkward until you beat it... then it's called "Repetative"

Neverwinter on TVTropes(Needs some loving)
    Neverwinter Nights on TVTropes
  • Options
    edited February 2013

The base 5 classes and base races I do not think people will be charged. This is true in DDO also (AKA the other D&D game). The other classes and "other" races that they add in, you will probably need to purchase. This is my best guess, because it just plain makes sense... Play the game, enjoy what we have given, but if you want to enjoy it another way, try the ranger, or paladin, it will cost you. Same as other Free to play games.

I would not worry about it now. Maybe 3 months after launch... but start saving your "lunch money" and you will be ok.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Because this is Perfect World Entertainment we are talking about. Do you know anything about their history with greed and terrible money hungry cash shops? I do not think it will happen but there is a very good chance it might. Hopefully they see that if they do charge people for more classes or races, they will ruin the game.

PW is publishing the game, not developing it. They are wise enough to let Cryptic make its own plans before...learning from the mistakes that don't work on this side of the world. Everybody is pouring over metrics and trying to see what works instead of blindly copying monetization this time.

If we were to historically even GUESS at what Cryptic would do with their games (since we only have Feemium and NOT a F2P ground up history,) me MIGHT suggest that RACES are to be charged and CLASSES are not. It has been done in STO. CO sorta, but their...design is different and doesn't quite use "races."
    The base 5 classes and base races I do not think people will be charged. This is true in DDO also (AKA the other D&D game). The other classes and "other" races that they add in, you will probably need to purchase. This is my best guess, because it just plain makes sense... Play the game, enjoy what we have given, but if you want to enjoy it another way, try the ranger, or paladin, it will cost you. Same as other Free to play games.

I would not worry about it now. Maybe 3 months after launch... but start saving your "lunch money" and you will be ok.

Warforged was a base race that was pay to unlock after their (mess of a) Freemium paywall redesign. I swear, every third item became "purchasable."
    Let's not even go into LOTRO.....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Warforged was a base race that was pay to unlock after their (mess of a) Freemium paywall redesign. I swear, every third item became "purchasable."
    Let's not even go into LOTRO.....

Correct, but warforged is not a base D&D race but it a selectable race for the setting of Ebberon. So the races like Teifling and Drow and even half-orc you might have to pay for. Human, Elf, Half-elf, dwarf (and halfling though I did not see one) I would guess to be free from the start.
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Correct, but warforged is not a base D&D race but it a selectable race for the setting of Ebberon. So the races like Teifling and Drow and even half-orc you might have to pay for. Human, Elf, Half-elf, dwarf (and halfling though I did not see one) I would guess to be free from the start.

It's a base Eberron race and was a core race of the MMO. The point is the "core" race of a campaign area became pay. I'm hoping the core MMO races here as well as those in the basic PH here never become pay.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    It's a base Eberron race and was a core race of the MMO. The point is the "core" race of a campaign area became pay. I'm hoping the core MMO races here as well as those in the basic PH here never become pay.
    Speaking of base PH races, any idea on Dragonborn? :(
  • Options
    virindivirindi Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am also a little disapointed about the class system..
    I would probably pay a subscription to have more freedom in building the characters... like freeform in CO, there's a lot of CO stuff in there so... why not.. as long as it can follow the D&D rules..
  • Options
    dark0vdark0v Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 46
    edited February 2013
    Keep in mind people that you don't select your class at character creation, you select your build!

This is why there are two Fighters, because you're picking a build rather than just the class.
  • Options
    sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Perhaps freeform (like CO) will be an option eventually. I am sort of banking on this :confused:. These "builds" are gonna get really old soon for me. Overall fun game so far.
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    godofthornsgodofthorns Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I can't wait to try the Great Weapon Fighter, which hopefully will be available in the next Beta weekend in March; however, the Trickster Rogue's damage output is INSANE! That 'Bait and Switch' decoy stuff is wicked. I am not really into playing rogue-type characters, but I will have to say that players who love this type of playstyle should enjoy this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Thorn
  • Options
    harekazeharekaze Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    I can't wait to try the Great Weapon Fighter, which hopefully will be available in the next Beta weekend in March; however, the Trickster Rogue's damage output is INSANE! That 'Bait and Switch' decoy stuff is wicked. I am not really into playing rogue-type characters, but I will have to say that players who love this type of playstyle should enjoy this.

Screw bait and switch! Here's my annihilation combo, did 900K overall roughly in Cragmire Crypts 5 man using this mainly: Stealth -> Duelist's Flurry full combo -> Lashing Blade -> Shadow Strike -> Stealth -> Duelist's Flurry combo again -> Dazing Strike (May save this move for finisher of next stealth) -> Roll twice to regain stealth meter due to feats and repeat whence stealth is ready.
  • Options
    silentstrydersilentstryder Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

To Hit Armor Class 0(Zero)

I hope they have a Bow Ranger Striker with Stealth and a line equivelent with Battlefield Archer.
  • Options
    duerdalduerdal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Must say i do like the class system,nice and simple but by endgame there should be a fair few options depending how you want to play.As for 5 classes on release, cryptic seem to have all the bases cover in regards of roles and id rather see 5 complete classes instead of 8 or 9 incomplete ones.Lots of scope to add later,that will help keep the game fresh. Saying that hopefully a ranger style class will be one of the first introductions following release.
  • Options
    tallendaletallendale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    aznlazn wrote: »
    No Drizzt or Pikel clones? How will we ever go on? xD

"doo-dad'!!
  • Options
    ireskarsireskars Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I feel bad replying since I haven't read much about the game and only had enough time to play for 10-15 minutes before the server went down. I started a cleric and became a little disappointed that I did not have a melee weapon, but I see that it is a different type of cleric. I am wondering if they're going to add in another cleric or make using a 1h/shield 2h an option. Building a cleric in 3.5 or pathfinder I always go half-orc just so I can justifying playing as if my character is dumb. I know this is based off of 4e and I cannot bring myself to play 4e. That doesn't matter just me rambling and I am looking forward to playing a halfling cleric. Wait forgot if I was a halfling, being small, I would have to two hand a longsword or similar sized weapon.

Seems fun enough and I am hoping that groups with two Clerics, one doing dmg or trying to me :), and another healing cleric will be viable.

I know clerics heal and stuff, but in dnd they can be pretty damn mean in melee if built right, and given time to buff ;)

Ohh and character generation/building is a hugely interesting for me ;) I played lots of Neverwinter I & II online, on private servers, where the goal was to fight one another at max level. Building a character to counter someones specific build was quite enjoyable.

Ok, rambling so I will stop.
    not really here.
  • Options
    tallendaletallendale Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Mwa ha ha I'm trollin' and only I can answer this!!
    To
    Hit
    Armor
    Class
    0(zero)
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    virindi wrote: »
    I am also a little disapointed about the class system..
    I would probably pay a subscription to have more freedom in building the characters... like freeform in CO, there's a lot of CO stuff in there so... why not.. as long as it can follow the D&D rules..

Remember they have to follow a line.. that line is the class system in 4th ed. It would be like a Tactical Captain in STO using abilities that an Engineering captain has. It just does not happen. There would be chaos and dogs and cats living together... !! :D

The paragon system allows for some deviation, but it is what it is. It isn't bad, it is just... different. And free. Remember the free part.

Also, thac0 is the Advanced Dungeon's and Dragons term with how they had hit bonuses and armor classes. It used to be awesome to attack with a -10 :P
    b_ro.png

BETA Tips and Tricks
    Never saw Pants in beta?