test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Classes

Comments

• Options
    normanoftharnormanofthar Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 39
    edited February 2013
    I played a little LFR and the swordmage was my class of choice. When I hit paragon levels it did draw groans from DM's on how often I was able to deny foes attacks on party-mates.

I always thought swordmage DPS was a bit low from their power selections but naturally (being D&D) there were always tricks to pull.
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The Tiefling in the latest trailer definitely reminds me more of a Warlock than a wizard....

So wouldnt be surprised if they show up soon.
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The only problem with not all the classes available at launch is this:

What if you want to change your class (or wanted to be that class and it wasn't available yet)?

Well, time to make a new character. Hope you haven't earned too much on your 'main' that you don't mind losing.
  • Options
    bloodsuckingparasitebloodsuckingparasite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The first opportunity I get to make a shifter druid, I'm taking it the same goes to Drow Ranger. Drow ranger was a character I had in DDO for about 5 years, not because of Drizzit either. Didn't hear about him til they started talking about forgotten realms and I started seeing people with that name.
    Til then, I'll be a battle-ish cleric or a Trickster Rogue.
  • Options
    neokaito13neokaito13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    looks like il be rolling rogue then...should i make a female drow for more charm though? hehe
    I am the light that stands for truth. Those who turn away are already dead.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    goose1009 wrote: »
    The Tiefling in the latest trailer definitely reminds me more of a Warlock than a wizard....

So wouldnt be surprised if they show up soon.

What an interesting idea....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    zagemoggazagemogga Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    somebob wrote: »

What if you want to change your class (or wanted to be that class and it wasn't available yet)?

Well, time to make a new character. Hope you haven't earned too much on your 'main' that you don't mind losing.

I have the same problem in GW2, some special items are character bound and can only be claimed with one. All the races and classes are known and even then I cannot decide which is main, so the stuff is rotting in the mailbox.
  • Options
    noshmeknoshmek Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 48
    edited February 2013

No matter what, never forget that this is still a business venture and as such, it is their duty to separate you from your money in any way they may blatantly conceive. That's not a cynical statement, but a realistic one. It's not about the time you put into anything, and it never will be.
  • Options
    magmofdmagmofd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013

Why consider it "losing" that character. Your title states that you already will be set up with 3 character slots. Roll a new toon and keep your previous main as an alt. You haven't lost a thing. Everything you have achieved with the 1st character is still there.

-Magmo
  • Options
    goose1009goose1009 Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What an interesting idea....

I am full of them!
    iCW4wKwOat1oO.png
  • Options
    aeternys123aeternys123 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 149 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Hope in the first year we can get a good amount of the rest of the core classes in the game (phb1 for sure, although 2 would be nice as well lol).

I'm mega excited for Neverwinter but it wouldn't really be D&D without some more of those core classes (paladin, ranger, warlock, warlord, avenger, barbarian, bard, druid, invoker, shaman, sorcerer, and warden are whats left from 4.0 phb1+2). Wouldn't personally mind missing out on the warlord, invoker, shaman or warden lol but I'm sure Cryptic sees the community's desire for at least the ranger, paladin, druid and bard at the very least.

Either way... rogue for life lol
  • Options
    keneringkenering Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Is it possible for devs to post somekind of 'list of futured classes' with approximate date?
  • Options
    rustplayerrustplayer Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 93
    edited February 2013
    kenering wrote: »
    Is it possible for devs to post somekind of 'list of futured classes' with approximate date?

Not at this time, certeinly. The game is just moving from closed beta to a more open form of closed beta and I expect that any new classes will be introduced close to or even within open beta. Until then, there is much work to be done :)
  • Options
    agedfalconagedfalcon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Without a Ranger class I assume that the Trickster Rogue would be the closest to a Ranger?
  • Options
    garyv1967garyv1967 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Any chance they'll have Paladins as a choice?
  • Options
    magmofdmagmofd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 108 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    chance? yes... at launch? no
  • Options
    somebobsomebob Member Posts: 1,887 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    In the MMORPG stream when asked, the developer dodged the answer of 'will we see other races/classes and when will we see them?'. No doubt they're working on both, but the question is how quickly they'll appear.
  • Options
    thelenogenthelenogen Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    5 is enough to get started. They just need to make sure plenty more on the way. Remember all the crazy versions of Wizards?
    -Lenogen
  • Options
    joclojoclo Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    thelenogen wrote: »
    5 is enough to get started.
    I disagree, but I'm willing to give them a shot. A $200 shot.
  • Options
    demotoomademotooma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    wheres the paladin
  • Options
    killingmeloudlykillingmeloudly Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I am very interested to get into this game. I am coming from DDO pretty exclusively for the past few years so the idea of roles concerns me. Part of the appeal of a ddo game for me is freedom to build how I choose. We will see what this game really brings.
  • Options
    iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    rustplayer wrote: »
    Not at this time, certeinly. The game is just moving from closed beta to a more open form of closed beta and I expect that any new classes will be introduced close to or even within open beta. Until then, there is much work to be done :)
    More like Alpha to Beta. But no comment on future classes. Even if there were any, they'd still be under NDA.
    In the MMORPG stream when asked, the developer dodged the answer of 'will we see other races/classes and when will we see them?'. No doubt they're working on both, but the question is how quickly they'll appear.

Yep.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    klashin01klashin01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I hope that they are only starting with 5 classes for Beta. If they plan on releasing the game with only fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric its going to be very disappointing for many players and fans of DDO/D&D. The very best part of an RPG the ability to create a unique character based around your preferences and playing style. Are we going to have the ability to multclass? What about the Feat system? Is this going to be a D&D based game in name and appearance only? I guess we will all find out tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    Actually, they are starting Beta with only 3 classes... GWF and Wiz are still locked this weekend but in a sense I agree, The sooner we get more class variety the better. Who'd a thunk it :p

-Magmo
  • Options
    malagarrmalagarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And please don't ask for 3rd edition things like prestige classes when this is based on 4th edition. Yes, there will be PARAGON classes.

You mean I can't play a multi-class Kensai/Illusionist whose loaded down with proficiencies from my 1st Edition Dungeoneer's Survival Guide? =(

On a serious note, I truly hope this game turns out to be well designed and ends up with a fair amount of flexibility in actual character creation down the road. 4E is an abomination, and you won't find many long time D&D players who will defend it. But it does convert well over to the CRPG/MMORPG format. Neverwinter will either redeem 4E or, should it fail, bury it for all time.
  • Options
    edited February 2013
    malagarr wrote: »
    You mean I can't play a multi-class Kensai/Illusionist whose loaded down with proficiencies from my 1st Edition Dungeoneer's Survival Guide? =(

On a serious note, I truly hope this game turns out to be well designed and ends up with a fair amount of flexibility in actual character creation down the road. 4E is an abomination, and you won't find many long time D&D players who will defend it. But it does convert well over to the CRPG/MMORPG format. Neverwinter will either redeem 4E or, should it fail, bury it for all time.

You forgot the half-fiend template :p
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    malagarrmalagarr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    You forgot the half-fiend template :p

I did indeed! Shame on me!
  • Options
    joclojoclo Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    malagarr wrote: »
    klashin01 wrote: »
    I hope that they are only starting with 5 classes for Beta. If they plan on releasing the game with only fighter, rogue, wizard, cleric its going to be very disappointing for many players and fans of DDO/D&D. The very best part of an RPG the ability to create a unique character based around your preferences and playing style. Are we going to have the ability to multclass? What about the Feat system? Is this going to be a D&D based game in name and appearance only? I guess we will all find out tomorrow.

I agree with both of you. 4E was terrible as a tabletop version, but it always seemed well suited for a video game.
  • Options
    jlewis314159jlewis314159 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    What about a Necromancer Class? Not everyone wants to play an elementalist.
  • Options
    milcomamilcoma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Pretty sure they will have other classes that you will have to purchase since this is a f2p game.