test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

The "New Race(s)" Feedback Thread!

Comments

• Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    greywynd said:

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim introduced Dragonborn and it came out in 2011. D&D has had Dragonborn from as early as 2006. So, they didn't steal the idea from ESO.

Also, if you would bother to look at any of the official art for Dragonborn. You will see that their in-game representation is very accurate. Lastly, dragonborn is an official race in both core rule books for both 4th and 5th editions. Half-dragon is not.

Arguably, D&D's "first" dragonborn types were Krynn's Draconians.
    Aye. Krynn's Draconians are technically, as written in lore, a subspecies of Dragonborn.

• Options
    anarchjackanarchjack Member Posts: 48 Arc User

Arguably, D&D's "first" dragonborn types were Krynn's Draconians.Aye. Krynn's Draconians are technically, as written in lore, a subspecies of Dragonborn.

Ty, my point having been. A lot of people hate the look of the current Dragonborn. They threw in an offshoot for Drow, why not for the Dragonborn?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited September 2016

Arguably, D&D's "first" dragonborn types were Krynn's Draconians.

zebular said:

Aye. Krynn's Draconians are technically, as written in lore, a subspecies of Dragonborn.

Ty, my point having been. A lot of people hate the look of the current Dragonborn. They threw in an offshoot for Drow, why not for the Dragonborn?
    They have already, the [Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn], a Metallic Version of the Chromatic Dragonborn that you get from the Dragonborn Legend Pack. It's gained by opening the [Dragonforged Lockedbox] and getting the [Sigil of the Metallic Ancestry Dragonborn] token.

Since we have the Chromatic (Black, Blue, Green, Red, White) and the Metallic (Brass, Bronze, Copper, Gold, and Silver), I'd eventually like to see the Dragonborn Ancestries of Arcane (Hex, Tome), Ferrous (Iron, Nickel, Tungsten, Cobalt, Chromium), Gem (Amethyst, Crystal, Emerald, Sapphire, Topaz), Planar (Adamantine, Arboreal, Astral, Axial, Battle, Beast, Chaos, Chole, Concordant, Extoplasmic, Elysian, Ethereal, Gloom, Howling, Kodragon, Oceanus, Pyroclastic, Radiant, Rust, Styx, Tarterian), and hopefully even a Faerûnian specific Ancestry (Brown, Deep, Fang, Rattelyr, Shadow, Song) including the Kara-Turan specific Ancestry of Lung (Spiritual). They could even complete it by including the rest in an Wildborn or Independant Ancestry (Incarnum, Elemental, Force, Prismatic, Sand, Sunwyrm).

Post edited by zebular on
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    We got a whole mod build around large folks, we also got a really well made quest line involving a certain Goliath during Maze Engine. Let this be foreshadowing from Cryptic and let the next race be in fact the Goliath!
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    viperraiyneviperraiyne Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    quspiv said:

Vampires or werewolf.

Vampires :-D
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    vampyres and werewolves are not race class, these are the factions or bitten by one of those. they effect all races.
  • Options
    edited September 2016
    wylonus said:

vampyres and werewolves are not race class, these are the factions or bitten by one of those. they effect all races.

Aye, they are neither a race nor a class. In 5th edition, vampirism and lycanthropy are technically once again "inflictions," as they were in an earlier edition of D&D. Most mortal races are susceptible to both inflictions.

• Options
    a3roseta3roset Member Posts: 1 New User
    I selected other, and think like a Goblin race (Gremlins/ Tinker's)
  • Options
    edited October 2016

the post is a year old, still can't make up your mind on what new race.

It's been stated many times that there won't be a new race or class until the wave of class balancing is complete. To think they have not already begun work on a new race or class is quite folly, as we already know they were working on at least one new class before the class balancing wave begun. It only makes sense that they also have a new race in the works too.

• Options
    arianocturne#1689 arianocturne Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    Minotaur would be pretty awesome.
  • Options
    getsume#1425 getsume Member Posts: 36 Arc User
    What if instead of a new race they add a race maker like in star trek. They could charge something like a 300 zen fee for doing it or something. You could pick your race bonuses out of a list of existing ones with a few new ones and choose from several height options like, large, medium, and small. That way people could be a goliath or a gnome they'd just have to make it first. (Then maybe my bat-eared race could become a reality mwahaha.)
    Have I ever told you I'm a genius?
  • Options
    omegarealities#7219 omegarealities Member Posts: 1,004 Arc User
    I'd like to see a wolf like race.
  • Options
    dieselbob3dieselbob3 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    Id would love to see Goliath since ogres and half ogres where mainly 2nd edition things. Plus anyone that plays healers should know the fun of healing small races. I do not want to see gnome tanks running around crying they are not being healed while sitting between the legs of a boss with hits boxes 100x their's.
  • Options
    getsume#1425 getsume Member Posts: 36 Arc User

Id would love to see Goliath since ogres and half ogres where mainly 2nd edition things. Plus anyone that plays healers should know the fun of healing small races. I do not want to see gnome tanks running around crying they are not being healed while sitting between the legs of a boss with hits boxes 100x their's.

Unless I'm mistaken your character's size in this game doesn't actually effect hit box size.
    Have I ever told you I'm a genius?
  • Options
    nanowoofnanowoof Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I think that they should create a Shapeshifter race.
    Where it gives you an option to shapeshift into different animals and creatures such as Wolves, Bears, Spiders, Dragons, Birds, Goblins, Dogs, Cats, Lions, Tigers, etc..
  • Options
    obliviator#1991 obliviator Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    A djinn would be coolio for a gesture in the box
  • Options
    kjwashingtonkjwashington Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    I'm not entirely sure how minotaur even got such a high vote. Was it even a playable race in any of the D&D editions? Or are people that interested in Greek mythology? (Or were they fans of the Tauren from that other game*?)

*I know that the name of that game is censored on the STO forums, so I'm not testing my luck here.

As far as arguments about how the Warforged should have died with the spellplague, there is an item called "Warforged Armor" so Warforge definitely existed at some point. It isn't too big a stretch to imagine that someone created more of them or the spellplague affected them differently.
    star-trek-in-before-the-lock.gif
  • Options
    allsinsallsins Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    Hello guys

If they ever give us the Changeling race, how would you feel if one of its abilities was, well, to change your appearance to another race, it could either be, you click the ability select a race and it would change you to that race with a randomized appearance or you could target a player and change to look exactly like that player.

Now you wouldn't get that race stats and abilities because you are still a changeling, you just have a new skin.

This Ability would have a 20 hour cooldown, because we know they like the 20 hours cooldowns ^^.

You could revert back to your original form anytime you want, but can only change to something else once every 20 hours.

What do you guys think? i think it would be a really fun race :)
  • Options
    izworizwor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 238 Arc User
    There are few races they could introduce:
    Gnome - the only race missing from core rulebook,
    Planar race like Aasimar or Eladrin, good to have something in opossition to Thiefling.
    Warforged - humanoid constructs, great option for totally new ideas for the race
    Shifters - another great option, but might not make it, since we heard rumours about Druids.

I do not realy want any new race in Neverwinter, new classes... yes. I'd like to see Druids and Monks in NWO,
    lots of options for great and different new mechanics.
  • Options
    myles08807myles08807 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 409 Arc User
    If I could reconstitute my Gnome Bard from Living Greyhawk, D&D 3.0/3.5, in Neverwinter, I'd be overjoyed. His name was Wyzen Highmoor. Say it fast.
  • Options
    astrotiger5astrotiger5 Member Posts: 157 Arc User
    A Satyr (a "Pan" --goat horn, about size of a Dwarf/Halfling,etc--male fauna).
  • Options
    kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    The gnome idea is probably the best because they are a common race in D&D and Forgotten Realms scenario, but since I don't like gnomes I vote for genasi as they are a common race in Forgotten Realms.
    I'm not even going to comment my opinion about warforgeds in forgotten realms...

Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
  • Options
    mikaleus#7208 mikaleus Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    I'd like to see Genasi or Goliath
  • Options
    lastmaxstandinglastmaxstanding Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    Warforged by far, but gnome should have been in the game day 1. Doubt I would play one, but it's the truth.
  • Options
    dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @zebular , Please update this official survey with "None" as an option.
    Seriously. Standard survey design should have a nil option to avoid "bracketing".
    Example of bracketing : "Which Pontiac Aztec color is your favorite? Lime Green or Fuchsia?"
    https://imgur.com/gallery/9nlSB
    [For those who never watched Breaking Bad]
    If this survey is really intended to accurately sample and convey the opinions of the NW population , then "do NOT add another class" or "do NOT add another class until ____ is fixed" should be options.
    I suspect many players would change their vote.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • Options
    edited December 2016

@zebular , Please update this official survey with "None" as an option.

Seriously. Standard survey design should have a nil option to avoid "bracketing".

Example of bracketing : "Which Pontiac Aztec color is your favorite? Lime Green or Fuchsia?"

https://imgur.com/gallery/9nlSB

[For those who never watched Breaking Bad]

If this survey is really intended to accurately sample and convey the opinions of the NW population , then "do NOT add another class" or "do NOT add another class until ____ is fixed" should be options.

I suspect many players would change their vote.

Poll choices may not be manipulated once posted and are limited to a set number of choices. Besides, you may choose "Something else... (post your desire)" and then describe your reasoning as that would not only fit your abstain reasoning, but other options as well, which for the limitations of polls on our forums in well enough. I am sorry that you don't have a poll choice to use to exactly display your angst against any new races being developed but seriously, the option you describe is available to you by choosing "Something else... (post your desire)."
  • Options
    oclosoclos Member Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Imho, it is difficult to satisfy everyone, particularily since there hasn't been a new race for a while now and people might feelt left out. So and always imo, they could try to go the STO way and what they did with "alien" race(which was to make available all the characteristics they couldn't actually add as canonical races cause there were far too many of them, so they gave that option to the player so we could create our own races as we'd see fit).

So I voted other and I'd like them to make an "otherkin" race to fullfill that role)cause I have a few I'd like to add. Obviously, that could also be covered by races like Changeling as well(it's just that I prefer the term otherkin, which might imply a new race, wereas changeling would be more "isolated and unique as I'm thinking of it).

If This cannot be done for some reason, I'd certainly like to see Minotaur, Aaracocra and Genasi of those listed.(Aasimar too, though they're too much human looking and in a fantasy setting diversity would be preferable, as it's only a role we play in a fictional world so one might go with things they wouldn't/couldn't really be or want to be in the real world).
  • Options
    recoil1809recoil1809 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    Definitely need gnomes. There's no doubt about it, as, firstly, they are the only of the core D&D races missing. Secondly, they'd only be the second of all small races in the game. Thirdly, Arc suuuucks with non-humanoid heads and bodies, as shown by the Dragonborn. Fourthly, we currently have: Two separate Eledan races (sun and moon elves), two seperate cultures of the same race (drow and outcast drow), Dragonborn and shinier dragonborn, tiefling, and obviously, human, elf, dwarf, and halfling.

Breaking down the choices better:

Bird people that will have issues with most armour, and probably be realatively disappointing and long in the making.

Humans with air ancestry (which could EASILY be done if they'd just add sorcerers, and maybe have more than a single build for non-fighter characters, but pffft, too much effort),

Face stealers from a different setting whom probably sneaked over during DDO, and whom PROBABLY will have exactly no access to the entire. REASON. for the race, and whom you can already claim to be.

Another human whose great, great, grannies were shacking up with genies.. And are very colourful.

A race taller than anything else we have, like moving around, and are honestly comparable to a really pale version of the Norn, if any of you know Guild Wars.

Curious miniature elves with a love of jokes, pranks, and... small.... tendencies towards sneakiness.

Two Eyed, Two Horned, flightless, hairy people eaters.

Weretouched who, AGAIN, you are very, VERY unlikely to get the actually interesting parts of playing as.

And sentient robots who are (again) from a different setting, probably having sneaked over during DDO, and who can't technically use magic armor or normal health potions... And are unisex. Which is, in most games, a dealbreaker for me (and I know you guys might be different on that matter).

But hey, this is just my two cents. I've always loved the Eberon and Forgotten Realms settings (moreso 3rd and prior), so I'd honestly be satisfied with most of these races, all but Genesi and Aasimar (though not because I dislike the races, rather because they're basically reskinned humans, and would be the easy way for Arc, and another excuse not to add sorcerers, which are my favorite class.. In fact, a [red] dragon ancestry sorcerer is who I play on DDO). Sorry that this drags on, and sorry that it probably seems like rambling, but anyhow, ciao.

Side note: Don't make us pay for a race that SHOULD have already been in the damned game--it will not go over well.

Edit: Originally, under warforged, I said unable to use MAGIC and potions. This was unintentional, as I meant to write armour, but was currently listening to the Librarians in the background, and thus my absent-minded typing messed me up.
    Post edited by recoil1809 on
  • Options
    arakk00arakk00 Member Posts: 166 Arc User
    Kobolds. You have the model in game, you have a skeleton that follows a similar motion pattern and proportions (halfling), and there is a lot of well-defined lore for the race. You even see them as citizens in the underdark, plus Rhix in PE! I'm posting a more specific writeup in the general section.
    A <Friendly Dragon>!