test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    I would like to see the gateway SCA dungeon quests be put in game.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Guild management was another game feature that was much facilitated by Gateway. Not just the ability to sort your roster by login date, but I would regularly inspect players to see how they were progressing (I make care packages). I can no longer inspect anyone who isn't online at the same time as me.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • fjdkslsfjdksls Member Posts: 36 Arc User

& has anyone seen the price of Loyal Avenger gear on the AH now ...............

I can't check. I'm at work and the Gateway's down.
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 440 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I didn't bothered to read Gateway related posts til now, but I spent like 45 min reading the other thread. And what can I say? Guyz, you suck at solving things. Playing this game since 2013 and I'm really sorry to say this, but howly %%%%, HUNDREDS of awesome solutions in the other thread. Meh, why bother, just take it down. And please, that mini companion, while it's a really nice from you but cmon, make it at least BtA or look at those stats, 1-2% of something will be a bit more useful. Oh well...
  • daxxxon69daxxxon69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    So you are HAMSTER reg players because your programmers suck and can't handle a few botters. Nice job there ARC. The gateway is needed so I don't have to keep logging in to make potions. Thanks again for HAMSTER your reg players. Have a Nice Day!!!
  • vonbek#3799 vonbek Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    fjdksls said:

& has anyone seen the price of Loyal Avenger gear on the AH now ...............

I can't check. I'm at work and the Gateway's down.
    You... You sir get the first honest smile and laugh out of me since the thread started.

You can be my Dragonwing-man any day. :smile:

• brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User

brun2000 said:

What do you mean you tried? Are you joking? I never saw you try using captcha! It's specifically made to keep bots away AND it works on every platform! You tried nothing! You went into the meeting and the first idea was "just shut it down, i'm tired of this shi*". Getting the cowards way out again! First dropped armors on dungeons can't be sold, then remove coals from tarmalune and make them bound, then make another mod that is exactly the same as the other (daily quests ftw) and now this! You're just murdering yourself really!

@brun2000 Do a quick Google search for "Captcha and bots" and tell me what you see. There's plenty of software out there than can defeat captchas...it's non-sense to think that's all it would've taken.
    Your research is absolutely useless, because most of the results are from 2013 and the new captcha is 10x better, you don't simply solve a text puzzle, you solve an image puzzle! 90% of the "bots" are actually scripters on gateway that use the same old plugin from 2 years ago that has not even been updated since, adding a captcha would solve most of the problem, only the most experienced botters would get away with it! Do you think shutting it down is better? How can you talk so easily if they didn't try it? I WOULD WANT TO SEE THEM TRY, THAT'S MY POINT, they didn't!
  • kalkelrial#8297 kalkelrial Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Well, although I was expecting this, I'm still miffed by all this. The lack of communication and the feeling that I'm being punished for what a few other cheats are doing (if that's even the real reason for the closure).

Like many others, I used the Gateway all the time during work to do collect rewards from and to set up professions and played SCA during my lunch. My boss was even cool with me having it on in the background while working!

Now it's made professions a virtual chore I'm not even sure I'll bother with any more. May as well forget Alchemy in-game - I'd have to keep stopping every few minutes just to do the experimentation for it!

And really, the companion 'gift'. Yes it may be useful to some but THAT's all we get after years of using this feature (don't let the lack of posts in the forum fool you - I've been playing for about 2 years!).

I think I've said enough - any more and I'll end up being banned!
  • brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User

brun2000 said:

-snip

-snip
    Of course it's an assumption, what I meant by that is that they didn't even try! All I wanted is for them to try! What did they do? Tell me please, I want to hear it! It's not like adding captcha is an expensive "resource" is it?
  • istarinistarin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    It kinda feels like a low blow to give us an augment companion and take away the easiest way to get companion gear at the same time.
  • averisharynaverisharyn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    They are pissed that no one bought their BS blood ruby packs. (Notice they took it down during the sale and right before double rp). This is not going to prevent in game botting, if anything you are driving people to either quit or those that really want ad are going to buy it from farming site... YOU WILL NEVER stop botting, YOU WILL NEVER stop buying from AD sites. No one ever has without killing their game. What makes you think you will... hahaha. Stop HAMSTER your player base, the prices on things aren't going to drop enough that the poor will ever make money to afford the items needed to progress. For a current part time player, do you know how hard it will be to get to 3100 TIL just to get into end game content.

I can't wait till the game has 5000 people left and 4500 are botters.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,374 Arc User
    Sigh! It has nothing to do with bots. It has nothing to do with make it better. They want it gone. The rest are just some "reasons" to hide the right intent.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    gateway i love you far from you i can live better. greek translate: gateway σε αγαπώ μακριά σου καλύτερα μπορώ να ζήσω.
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Ill ad my voice to the (probably useless) chorus. This is a bad decision.

This comes at a time when other games are adding content AND adding browser access. You've just removed 1 more reason for me to recommend any one else play this game. Much as I like to have company when I play, lately Ive had to warn some friends away because this holy war on botters (if you take that explanation at face value) has begun harming all corners of the game for normal players.

Will I quit? Likely not, at least right away. I have a lot of time invested in this game and crafting my character. I've already given up investing any real money. I will however now be even more open to other games that actually want to cater to player fun.

Please reconsider this gateway decision. Its a handy, moderately fun, piece of the game that doesn't need that much attention from devs. Your obsession with botting is harming actual parts of the game that give you player good will, and through that, profit.
  • wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    So. many. KITTENS!!!!!! 0,o Great. Now i'm hungry.
  • kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I'm less upset at the loss of the Gateway as I am disappointed that, again, Cryptic has chosen the path of least resistance (aka the nuclear option) over finding a creative solution that at least attempts to salvage some of the useful features of the gateway. A read only AH? Read only mail? Guild roster, character sheets, read-only/non-interactive inventory, ZAX... Even if full AH, all professions and SCA had to be dropped due to bots, at least make the effort to leave something.

But no, true to form, Cryptic takes the uncreative, easiest approach without regard for its customers.

Then, gives some crappy companion as "compensation" As mentioned, it's probably a single Character bound thing too - might as well as insult to injury. Hopefully, they can be bothered to at least make it an account unlock like other promo companions so we all get it for free on every toon, reclaimable, forever...
  • laurentiolaurentio Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    No surprise there,.... gonna nead to find another wey to spend my time at work :blush:
    ,at least put the companion gear and maby previously swordcoast obtainabile companion (lightfoot thieff) in Zen market or tradebar store.
    and,
    on a somewhat more constructive note might be time to consider implementing a 12-24 hours que list for profesions
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

It's always a resources battle. You can't keep just throwing resources and time at a problem indefinitely. Sometimes you can't continue to put the resources into a losing battle, and a wise commander knows when to concede the field and call a tactical retreat--or cut off something that's costing more in resources than they can well afford.

In this case, at least two highly skilled software professionals offered to provide free resources to help solve this issue in a player-friendly manner. I am one of them. Nobody took the time to reach out and discuss other solutions before pulling the plug. There are very good solutions, some of which are easy to implement compared to the very real monetary cost of alienating so many players. @panderus @strumslinger the offer still stands. Why not spend twenty minutes on Skype to get a fresh perspective?

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • agericageric Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    =( Damn... the gateway was the only way i could get my Neverwinter fix while I wasn't at home on my computer. Seriously though? Blaming the bots you're doing nothing about... I'm telling you, a bot is EASY to spot if you developers would just make a regular account and play on the server, you'll find them. EVERYWHERE. But instead, you take away every little fun thing for the legitimate players. Dungeons we'll never be able to run again, like Idris and Chasm,.. things that still show up on our completion lists that we CAN'T complete. You took our wards, you took our invoking diamonds, You destroyed beautiful content of this game over these bots that are STILL infiltrating. I've 'reported' several bots but all that happens is that they land on my ignore list. Please, don't take our Gateway.. It's honestly one of the best parts of the game.
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    2 Songs this reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk (Cryptic Them song)

And when they want to pretent they have SOME thought about the welfare of players https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WmJUVgHEv8

Notice a theme?
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

I just hope there's a plan in place to absolutely prevent ANY increase in the prices for rp.

Prices are up 25% since the German/French/Italian language announcements. I haven't been able to log into the game client since the English announcement to check.

• plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,374 Arc User
    kvet said:

I'm less upset at the loss of the Gateway as I am disappointed that, again, Cryptic has chosen the path of least resistance (aka the nuclear option) over finding a creative solution that at least attempts to salvage some of the useful features of the gateway. A read only AH? Read only mail? Guild roster, character sheets, read-only/non-interactive inventory, ZAX... Even if full AH, all professions and SCA had to be dropped due to bots, at least make the effort to leave something.

But no, true to form, Cryptic takes the uncreative, easiest approach without regard for its customers.

Then, gives some crappy companion as "compensation" As mentioned, it's probably a single Character bound thing too - might as well as insult to injury. Hopefully, they can be bothered to at least make it an account unlock like other promo companions so we all get it for free on every toon, reclaimable, forever...

Even read only profession is good. At least, I can see if the tasks are done and how many of them are done.
    If it is really a bot problem, they can do that. I don't think it is. This is probably another point for "it has nothing to do with bot". It is obvious to me that they had no interest to have a "solution" when they made the decision way before labour day.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • mintmarkmintmark Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 445 Arc User
    This makes me very sad indeed... I used the gateway to do professions and I used the gateway to buy things on the auction house.

It has been a regular part of my life for over three years... I would gateway every morning on my tablet and start my tasks. I would gateway at lunch time at work on my phone and collect my D20 roll. If I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't get back to sleep I would look for bargains on the auction house. If I had spare time I would treat myself to game of sword coast adventures.

Almost every day for years and now it's just stopped. Just like that. I feel like I can't play effectively or efficiently... I was getting into masterworks professions, but that seems impossible now. The chances of finding the right rare tasks have diminished...

I don't know what to do now... my heart isn't in it :( The gateway was a big part of how I play this game.

I'm really sorry...
  • sm0ld3rsm0ld3r Member Posts: 236 Arc User
    I think it's pretty clear, the current crew is completely incompetent and plan to run this game deep into the ground. I don't think I could have planned a better way to HAMSTER off the players if I tried. Truly mind boggling.
  • yokki1yokki1 Member Posts: 451 Arc User
    kvet said:

please do not mention the promo companions. reminds me of the promo companion fiasco where they took months and months and then they even gave the wrong amount of companions at end.
    brun2000 said:

Your research is absolutely useless, because most of the results are from 2013 and the new captcha is 10x better

How about this result from 2016? ReCaptcha (the "new captcha") has also been broken

https://www.reddit.com/r/google/comments/4dqgp8/google_recaptcha_cracked_in_new_automated_attack/

It's one of the top google results from "recaptcha broken".

• tritius2001tritius2001 Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Here's a few observations I have thought of:
    1. Watching the explosion of negative response from the gateway shutdown, I have something to say. If you think that Cryptic didn't weighed the pros and cons of alienating the player base against the time, effort, money and servers needed to keep the gateway up, you're dumb. Try to see it from their shoes, the bots have gotten so good that they can make a new account, make a character, complete the starting quests, invoke, run daily dungeons and skirmishes, and post up items for auction, then using the gateway they can max professions, spam run SCA for items and trawl the AH for any deals and repost all for profit. They can't ban accounts fast enough to fight the influx of new characters. And all that is happening with gateway up, 5% of traffic is legitimate players using it as its meant to, 95% bots abusing it to farm.

2. Trawling the AH with botters BREAKS the AH. This is the reason gateway is down. The servers got FRIED because some thousand accounts, set to trawl AH prices, so overworked the servers that they CAUGHT FIRE! Now with it down botters are going to have to logon, hopefully, potentially maximizing their exposure to devs and getting banned. Soon AH prices will start rising as bot accounts are banned and items become scarce, but will then drop and regulate because bots aren't artificially inflating prices for profit.

3. If you have an idea to make the game better, post it. If the community would pool all of its resources we could have easily come up with a solution before it came to this. And who knows if they do get the wonderful idea that fixes everything you can bet they will employ it and bring gateway back.
  • boyjimmboyjimm Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    Dear All - Mods, Devs, Players, Payers, Donators, Bots, Newcomers, Veterans,

With the latest in the feature pullback feature (Gateway closing down), I realized that I had to put in my two cents again. It may not matter, but it's my two cents and it's gotta get out. Looking back to 2013 when I joined the game, I realize that the latest (and many of the past feature pullbacks) doesn't really affect me. I have a full set of gear on three mains, a full set of R12 on one and R10 on the second and R9s on the third - and I know MANY of friends who have full R12s on multiple chars - more than my measly one. This means I can continue to 'probably' enjoy the ever increasingly harder-not-worth-the-reward content for a few more months till the next feature pullback.
    But enough about me, when I first came to this game, I spent a few hundred bucks in the first few months. Why? Because it was a fun game for a new comer. I enjoyed many aspects of the game and the community. I still remember the first time I died and didn't know if resurrection would delete my toon. I panic strickenly asked around till someone told me NO. Then came the major injury. It's been a fun journey. But now, looking at the system, I cannot imagine being a new player in the game. I'm NOT going to recommend anyone to play NW because it's going look bad on me - I don't want to be that loser who asked someone to join what is probably the top deteriorating MMORPG at the moment. And let's face it, there's no selling point either.
    I can't help them - since everything's bound and cannot be shared. They will not be allowed to chat, move, trade or do anything.
    And maybe I'm mistaken, but distancing the whole community of players seems to be a bad idea. While I simply don't care enough to even comment on most of the changes, this is the second time in the past three years that I've been compelled to make a statement. Because it takes from me too. I'm one of those in the bottom of the creamy layer - and everyone below me is going to feel increasingly hard pressed to enjoy the game.
    I would love to point out many basic economic articles and research regarding how banning and regulating things leads to an INCREASED black market movement, on how it widens the distance between the haves and have nots. Why? Because it's NOT my job to keep people interested in the game - it's yours. When you (whoever takes a dime from what I've put into this game) ask ME to start doing YOUR job, you are inherently breaking many of the contracts of fair play. [At this point, your invocation changes have certainly broken the contract of VIP subscription].
    As a side note, when you employ the opportunity to break contracts without fairness, be prepared to receive subtle back lash from the community along the same lines.
    Please again, stop thinking for solutions along the lines of repressiveness and start approaching problems progressively. If no one has an idea, fire them and begin searching for new people - with MOD 10, there is enough to do for most players (except the top 5%) without needing anything new or broken. Bring back the domination Solo Queue and take a break to look back at what and how things went wrong.
    Black markets DO NOT exist without a backer who earns from it. There are countless examples regarding this with marijuana (in the US & Colorado) - of how free world markets reduce prices, increase quality and income as opposed to severely regulated markets which increase burden, and redirect income. This is the EXACT problem you are facing.
    Your new ideas of income are failing because they are pushing players, not pulling them. Pushing to them to study alternate means to supplement the required push.
    I believe it's time to take a look at whoever is involved in your process again - because THEY are not delivering what they are paid to do. Using the guise of a 'tough call', they have made an easy call. In reality, a 'tough call' is when it's tough on you - it made you think, retrospect and learn, not tough because of the prospective back lash. Because, you can moderate people's words in the forums, but you can't stop them from leaving.
    Along the same lines, your recent post on the 2M+ adventures is nothing short of a desperate attempt to exemplify yourself and self-promote. Anyone with a couple of seconds to take a second look will know that while there may be ten million accounts - there are definitely aren't ten million players ever online or interested in this game. We have seen how zones lag when there are 40 people and a dragon in it, we see how many zones exist in the game, we would definitely know if there are even close to 25,000 unique players. This brings me to the reason on WHY you felt compelled to pull such a stunt. Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't this based off of someone's data report? That someone was asked to do something that they weren't equipped to do and went desperate with proper reporting techniques - techniques that interest, intrigue and stand up to scrutiny.

Finally, please DO NOT PUNISH me for playing and loving this game. It is becoming increasingly harder to convince people to take up this game and the existing crowd is terribly ill equipped to handle the task. While couples here and there can find time to bond over this game once in a while, with time, that is not going to last. Time should be the only thing that allows players to move on, not your own doing.

Just my two cents.

Thanks
    Someone who can't find it in themselves to care anymore after typing all this.

No. I refuse to make a noise and thrash around to prove any point. Evolve and let's talk about it. If monkeys can do it, you should have no trouble with it.
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    @panderus While I am trying to understand and cope with the decisions, I would like to please ask that you PLEASE do not put the Loyal gear in a lockbox. I would prefer it to be more readily available rather than have it in a lockbox. :( Trade bar store comes to mind, that way people still have to buy keys to get it, but are pretty much guaranteed to get the pieces they want/need.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator

2. Trawling the AH with botters BREAKS the AH. This is the reason gateway is down. The servers got FRIED because some thousand accounts, set to trawl AH prices, so overworked the servers that they CAUGHT FIRE!

Source?
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
This discussion has been closed.