test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• Options
    superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    I just hope there's a plan in place to absolutely prevent ANY increase in the prices for rp. Using the nifty tool from the censored site (r.i.p. too :( )one can see the economic havoc caused by the last anti-bot measure - prices for the rp for artifacts soaring as well as a lack of credible effort to stabilize them again anywhere near to where they had been before. Even if the drop in supply isn't quite so dramatic now (what do I know...in any case...players will generate less output now) ....the idea to justify a price surge with the fight against bots and the time it takes to adjust ig- systems AGAIN would be outlandishly...erm...unwise in this situation. Any dev time used to stabilize the market (draconian economic interventionism if need be) will be well used. 2xrp being so soon. Players being pissed off already. Some reassurance to players might help too...to lessen panicking. If I see economic mayday now....dunno how to express this adequately in English....-.-
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    The idea of logging to the game client by browser was great and i think it should not dissapear, maybe you guys can create another software thats not "in browser", just a stand alone application that lets you run the auction house and modify professions!!
  • Options
    nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User

It is with some regret that we are announcing the closing of Gateway for Neverwinter. This was not an easy call. I'd like to remind people to please keep all conversation respectful. Insults, flaming, and toxicity doesn't help anyone, especially in this situation. Thank you.

http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/neverwinter/news/detail/10161142-gateway-closing-down

I am indeed very, very unhappy with the loss of the gateway, but I can understand the reasoning.
    BUT consider at least to leave us
    * inventory view
    * toon view (what we are wearing)
    * mail reading ability

* I hate that professions is gone
    * that the easy ZAX access is gone for shifting AD from toon A to toon B (whoever had this stupid idea in the 1st place anyway?)
    * Easy sale of ZEN is gone
    * SCA is gone (what shall I do at the office now? Work?)

throw us a bone, give us read access that can not be exploited.
    make the UI of professions and the AH in game more user friendly
    Give us a shared AD wallet
    Give us the abiltiy to inspect our offline toons and bags from the currently logged in character

Comparing to Path of Exile where you can even build your character this total removal of the gateway is a good show of your competencies.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • Options
    truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    Well, I will post for my wife who does not do forums. She used the gateway all day long so that she could work on professions. She built up alchemy, and a few other professions to level 25 without going into the client. She doesnt like going into the client because she is working. She can stop by the computer about every twenty minutes. The client logs out after 15 minutes. As she may only be in front of the computer for about 5 minutes at a time, just enough time to reset professions logging into the game would eat all the time she has.

As for being civil, I will be civil, however, Cryptic, you seriously need to fire about a dozen people, and hire a PR executive, and about five admin that can be on game and perma ban botter accounts. WoW, organized, tracked, and then perma banned 50k+ accounts in one day. As a player I have reported more bot spam than I care to think of. I have talked to lots of others, who recognized names (@handles) they have reported showing back up a few weeks later. How is this even possible? Perma ban all the botters as you come across them.

The PR executive, will hopefully teach you, by demonstration, how to communicate with your Paying customer base instead of alienating them.
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,222 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    They planned this all out way before labour day. It just takes that long to test the reaction and deliver the message. It is all BS right from the start.

1. no low level staff would make decision to shut down Gateway right before the labour day long weekend.
    2. no low level staff would dare not post no information to the public to say a little bit about why it was shutdown.
    3. no company will schedule a "meeting" to make a big decision at 5pm on Friday.

These are all "scheduled" to happen; probably, when they decide to release console version.
    It has nothing to do with bots. It is the "direction" they chose.

Bottom line: maintaining Gateway does not give any benefit to the main platforms .. console.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    juttetsujuttetsu Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    So wtf is gonna happen to the loyal gear, Lightfoot thief, and the rest of the sca stuff we could ONLY get there. And for the player base that suffers all we get a p.o.s green companion.....awesome
  • Options
    scoutsniper2991scoutsniper2991 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    The main question I have is what will be done with the Loyal gear for companions, and will the there be another way to get the rings because they are the best gear for any companions?
  • Options
    artanisenartanisen Member Posts: 159 Arc User
    I would like to see the gateway SCA dungeon quests be put in game.
    "Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely."
    "Great men are almost always bad men."
    “If God is all-powerful He cannot be good, if God is good He cannot be all-powerful!”
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Guild management was another game feature that was much facilitated by Gateway. Not just the ability to sort your roster by login date, but I would regularly inspect players to see how they were progressing (I make care packages). I can no longer inspect anyone who isn't online at the same time as me.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    fjdkslsfjdksls Member Posts: 36 Arc User

& has anyone seen the price of Loyal Avenger gear on the AH now ...............

I can't check. I'm at work and the Gateway's down.
  • Options
    sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 437 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I didn't bothered to read Gateway related posts til now, but I spent like 45 min reading the other thread. And what can I say? Guyz, you suck at solving things. Playing this game since 2013 and I'm really sorry to say this, but howly %%%%, HUNDREDS of awesome solutions in the other thread. Meh, why bother, just take it down. And please, that mini companion, while it's a really nice from you but cmon, make it at least BtA or look at those stats, 1-2% of something will be a bit more useful. Oh well...
  • Options
    daxxxon69daxxxon69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 5 Arc User
    So you are HAMSTER reg players because your programmers suck and can't handle a few botters. Nice job there ARC. The gateway is needed so I don't have to keep logging in to make potions. Thanks again for HAMSTER your reg players. Have a Nice Day!!!
  • Options
    vonbek#3799 vonbek Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    fjdksls said:

& has anyone seen the price of Loyal Avenger gear on the AH now ...............

I can't check. I'm at work and the Gateway's down.
    You... You sir get the first honest smile and laugh out of me since the thread started.

You can be my Dragonwing-man any day. :smile:

• Options
    brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User

brun2000 said:

What do you mean you tried? Are you joking? I never saw you try using captcha! It's specifically made to keep bots away AND it works on every platform! You tried nothing! You went into the meeting and the first idea was "just shut it down, i'm tired of this shi*". Getting the cowards way out again! First dropped armors on dungeons can't be sold, then remove coals from tarmalune and make them bound, then make another mod that is exactly the same as the other (daily quests ftw) and now this! You're just murdering yourself really!

@brun2000 Do a quick Google search for "Captcha and bots" and tell me what you see. There's plenty of software out there than can defeat captchas...it's non-sense to think that's all it would've taken.
    Your research is absolutely useless, because most of the results are from 2013 and the new captcha is 10x better, you don't simply solve a text puzzle, you solve an image puzzle! 90% of the "bots" are actually scripters on gateway that use the same old plugin from 2 years ago that has not even been updated since, adding a captcha would solve most of the problem, only the most experienced botters would get away with it! Do you think shutting it down is better? How can you talk so easily if they didn't try it? I WOULD WANT TO SEE THEM TRY, THAT'S MY POINT, they didn't!
  • Options
    kalkelrial#8297 kalkelrial Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    Well, although I was expecting this, I'm still miffed by all this. The lack of communication and the feeling that I'm being punished for what a few other cheats are doing (if that's even the real reason for the closure).

Like many others, I used the Gateway all the time during work to do collect rewards from and to set up professions and played SCA during my lunch. My boss was even cool with me having it on in the background while working!

Now it's made professions a virtual chore I'm not even sure I'll bother with any more. May as well forget Alchemy in-game - I'd have to keep stopping every few minutes just to do the experimentation for it!

And really, the companion 'gift'. Yes it may be useful to some but THAT's all we get after years of using this feature (don't let the lack of posts in the forum fool you - I've been playing for about 2 years!).

I think I've said enough - any more and I'll end up being banned!
  • Options
    brun2000brun2000 Member Posts: 244 Arc User

brun2000 said:

-snip

-snip
    Of course it's an assumption, what I meant by that is that they didn't even try! All I wanted is for them to try! What did they do? Tell me please, I want to hear it! It's not like adding captcha is an expensive "resource" is it?
  • Options
    istarinistarin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 20 Arc User
    It kinda feels like a low blow to give us an augment companion and take away the easiest way to get companion gear at the same time.
  • Options
    averisharynaverisharyn Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    They are pissed that no one bought their BS blood ruby packs. (Notice they took it down during the sale and right before double rp). This is not going to prevent in game botting, if anything you are driving people to either quit or those that really want ad are going to buy it from farming site... YOU WILL NEVER stop botting, YOU WILL NEVER stop buying from AD sites. No one ever has without killing their game. What makes you think you will... hahaha. Stop HAMSTER your player base, the prices on things aren't going to drop enough that the poor will ever make money to afford the items needed to progress. For a current part time player, do you know how hard it will be to get to 3100 TIL just to get into end game content.

I can't wait till the game has 5000 people left and 4500 are botters.

• Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,222 Arc User
    Sigh! It has nothing to do with bots. It has nothing to do with make it better. They want it gone. The rest are just some "reasons" to hide the right intent.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    gateway i love you far from you i can live better. greek translate: gateway σε αγαπώ μακριά σου καλύτερα μπορώ να ζήσω.
  • Options
    krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    Ill ad my voice to the (probably useless) chorus. This is a bad decision.

This comes at a time when other games are adding content AND adding browser access. You've just removed 1 more reason for me to recommend any one else play this game. Much as I like to have company when I play, lately Ive had to warn some friends away because this holy war on botters (if you take that explanation at face value) has begun harming all corners of the game for normal players.

Will I quit? Likely not, at least right away. I have a lot of time invested in this game and crafting my character. I've already given up investing any real money. I will however now be even more open to other games that actually want to cater to player fun.

Please reconsider this gateway decision. Its a handy, moderately fun, piece of the game that doesn't need that much attention from devs. Your obsession with botting is harming actual parts of the game that give you player good will, and through that, profit.
  • Options
    wintersmokewintersmoke Member Posts: 1,641 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    So. many. KITTENS!!!!!! 0,o Great. Now i'm hungry.
  • Options
    kvetkvet Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,700 Arc User
    I'm less upset at the loss of the Gateway as I am disappointed that, again, Cryptic has chosen the path of least resistance (aka the nuclear option) over finding a creative solution that at least attempts to salvage some of the useful features of the gateway. A read only AH? Read only mail? Guild roster, character sheets, read-only/non-interactive inventory, ZAX... Even if full AH, all professions and SCA had to be dropped due to bots, at least make the effort to leave something.

But no, true to form, Cryptic takes the uncreative, easiest approach without regard for its customers.

Then, gives some crappy companion as "compensation" As mentioned, it's probably a single Character bound thing too - might as well as insult to injury. Hopefully, they can be bothered to at least make it an account unlock like other promo companions so we all get it for free on every toon, reclaimable, forever...
  • Options
    laurentiolaurentio Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    No surprise there,.... gonna nead to find another wey to spend my time at work :blush:
    ,at least put the companion gear and maby previously swordcoast obtainabile companion (lightfoot thieff) in Zen market or tradebar store.
    and,
    on a somewhat more constructive note might be time to consider implementing a 12-24 hours que list for profesions
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

It's always a resources battle. You can't keep just throwing resources and time at a problem indefinitely. Sometimes you can't continue to put the resources into a losing battle, and a wise commander knows when to concede the field and call a tactical retreat--or cut off something that's costing more in resources than they can well afford.

In this case, at least two highly skilled software professionals offered to provide free resources to help solve this issue in a player-friendly manner. I am one of them. Nobody took the time to reach out and discuss other solutions before pulling the plug. There are very good solutions, some of which are easy to implement compared to the very real monetary cost of alienating so many players. @panderus @strumslinger the offer still stands. Why not spend twenty minutes on Skype to get a fresh perspective?

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
  • Options
    agericageric Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    =( Damn... the gateway was the only way i could get my Neverwinter fix while I wasn't at home on my computer. Seriously though? Blaming the bots you're doing nothing about... I'm telling you, a bot is EASY to spot if you developers would just make a regular account and play on the server, you'll find them. EVERYWHERE. But instead, you take away every little fun thing for the legitimate players. Dungeons we'll never be able to run again, like Idris and Chasm,.. things that still show up on our completion lists that we CAN'T complete. You took our wards, you took our invoking diamonds, You destroyed beautiful content of this game over these bots that are STILL infiltrating. I've 'reported' several bots but all that happens is that they land on my ignore list. Please, don't take our Gateway.. It's honestly one of the best parts of the game.
  • Options
    weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    2 Songs this reminds me of: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-P2qL3qkzk (Cryptic Them song)

And when they want to pretent they have SOME thought about the welfare of players https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6WmJUVgHEv8

Notice a theme?
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • Options
    tripsofthrymrtripsofthrymr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,624 Community Moderator

I just hope there's a plan in place to absolutely prevent ANY increase in the prices for rp.

Prices are up 25% since the German/French/Italian language announcements. I haven't been able to log into the game client since the English announcement to check.

Caritas Guild Founder (Greycloak Alliance)

Sci-fi author: The Gods We Make, The Gods We Seek, and Ji-min
This discussion has been closed.