test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Gateway Closing Down

Comments

• hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,462 Arc User
    Now, if some of those freed resources could be used to fix the Foundry bugs...
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    hustin1 said:

You better hope they don't, attention in this case might lead to its termination. Objects of focus tend to melt under their gaze.
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    I also have the feeling that dwindling players on the PC platform (7 million my donkey) do not allow any resources to be spent on a side feature that is not available to the new tow horses PS4 and X-BOX.
    From a investors point of view totally understandable, from a players who has invested much ... make your guess.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • superent666superent666 Member Posts: 133 Arc User

I just hope there's a plan in place to absolutely prevent ANY increase in the prices for rp.

Prices are up 25% since the German/French/Italian language announcements. I haven't been able to log into the game client since the English announcement to check.

Can we have some feedback on this? It´s going to increase the disparity between newer and older players...to a level where a player not done with refining would have to be a monkey to even try? It can be prevented. No reason to fail on this, too? I think it would help - to prevent panicking, too- if players would get some feedback on this.
  • denvalddenvald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 702 Arc User
    They should implement SCA in the game IMO.
    I am the monk, martial skill transcends the battlefield
    It is my my life style, my doctrine and my state of mind,
    You fight well, but without focus and discipline, you will fall.

More threads by me / Click on it B)
    My Support Warlock/Temptation Thread
  • kingramzekingramze Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    Here's how this negatively affects me:
    1) Even though I have 8 characters, the gateway was a simple, easy way for me to get avenger companion gear for myself and/or sell to others. Keep in mind, an avenger ring could go for 200K to 250K AD on the AH. I could probably get more than one avenger item in just a couple hours of SCA play and the AD earned would be more than the combined max refineable AD of all my characters combined for the day, yet not be limited by refinement as it was cash in hand from the AH. So, I'm out a significant amount of AD earnings as well as dealing with the lack of avenger gear (which is now selling for over 1M AD in the AH).
    2) SCA was fun, and I specifically chose blue and purple companions to play (which cost a lot of AD), so I'm left with companions I don't get much use out of now.
    3) The gateway was a quick place to find all inventory -- we really need something similar in-game that doesn't require switching characters.... a global view of inventory (current armor, all inventory and stats for all toons)
    4) Gateway provided access to professions out-of-game with easy switching between characters. Again, a global professions window for all characters on an account would be beneficial.
    5) Again, game items are removed unceremoniously without properly informing us of the reasons in advance or explanation for why this solution was chosen over all other alternatives. Every time I feel comfortable about opening my wallet to contribute financially to this game, I get news of such changes and it makes me change my mind -- and I tell others not to spend money also. As mad as I am about this change, I'd be even angrier if I had paid real money and then got this sort of treatment. I suggest Cryptic/Arc needs a revamp of their public relations and marketing. This is not how you garner trust and support of your customers
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited September 2016

hustin1 said:

You better hope they don't, attention in this case might lead to its termination. Objects of focus tend to melt under their gaze.
    That'd be pretty funny if it wasn't so seemingly accurate...

I do hope that they WERE spending a lot of resources on the Gateway that can be re-purposed now. But I kind of doubt that's the case, I would guess it's almost opposite. I would imagine the gateway mostly took care of itself, with the occasional fix or update once or twice a year to keep it from bugging out. Now that it's become clear that the gateway would need some real resources to address the botting problem, they are unwilling to invest those and so they close it down.

In some sense, I get it. People have floated the astute observation that consoles don't have Gateway access so resources spent on the Gateway won't ever benefit consoles.

BUT the Gateway did serve as a great resource and in many ways a crutch that made some of the poor in-game UI design decisions bearable. You could manage your fleet of toons' inventories, your guild activities, your mails. Not even mentioning AH, ZaX, and Professions.

It's a shame that they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater. @panderus I would strongly urge you to consider reworking some of the in-game UIs for guild and mail management. Or maybe you can bring back a stripped down gateway without some of the offending components, like you guys have for STO?
  • truckulatruckula Member Posts: 124 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    @panderus : can you do a few things?
    Remove all the teasing/insulting things linking to the gateway? (As in, the major link on the game launcher, the in game ads for the gateway, heck even the link at the top of this page.)
    Can you answer the questions regarding the companion gear, Shepard pup, Lightfoot Thief? Will these become available in the game somehow?
    ddfuv.jpg
    Click banner for the Dragon Dogs Family guild page.
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    @tanais58crane
    well and artfully said.
  • jinxerfelixjinxerfelix Member Posts: 1 Arc User

brun2000 said:

What do you mean you tried? Are you joking? I never saw you try using captcha! It's specifically made to keep bots away AND it works on every platform! You tried nothing! You went into the meeting and the first idea was "just shut it down, i'm tired of this shi*". Getting the cowards way out again! First dropped armors on dungeons can't be sold, then remove coals from tarmalune and make them bound, then make another mod that is exactly the same as the other (daily quests ftw) and now this! You're just murdering yourself really!

@brun2000 Do a quick Google search for "Captcha and bots" and tell me what you see. There's plenty of software out there than can defeat captchas...it's non-sense to think that's all it would've taken.
    You guys could have at a minimum restricted it to current VIP subs before tossing it out completely.
  • krzrsmskrzrsms Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    My wife is an inside wireman (commercial electrician) that installs those servers at datacenters. That physical replacement takes 2 days, assuming no parts are currently on hand and they need to be brought from the warehouse.

Time is money, and downtime for a server is money not made.

Those 20 years of experience were apparently served between 1970 and 1990. Im a computer programmer over the last 15 years. Nowadays major players use virtual servers, not a physical server per piece of software. If the hardware goes down, internal links are changed and little if any uptime is lost. The only significant downtime comes from routing outtages, usually due to an entire farm having an issue or translational issues with the top tier provider.

Even assuming its true that 'not many used' major parts of the gateway. If it was appropriately hosted that would mean low costs at the same time since its obvious that little/no development time has been spent on the gateway for at least the last 2years.

kreatyve said:

2. Trawling the AH with botters BREAKS the AH. This is the reason gateway is down. The servers got FRIED because some thousand accounts, set to trawl AH prices, so overworked the servers that they CAUGHT FIRE!

Source?
    20 years of experience, time gateway servers were down is approx what would be needed to do physical replacement, wiring repair and testing. Plus another few days to come up with patches that obviously didn't work(only up for an hour before dropping again).

• morrowind69morrowind69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    WAR ON BOTS :
    1-old dungeons removed.
    2-Refinement removed from nodes (resources small chance to get too).
    3-wards removed from the tradebar store .
    4-gateway closed ...done.
    5-profesions (leadership) removed ....soon.

MAKE THE NEW PLAYERS MORE LAZY :
    1-add packs for stronger race.
    2-add packs for campaign completion.
    3-add pack to become lvl70 in one min.

is the game dying or we just starting get bored ?!!

oh i forget to add removing AD from the invoking.
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    panderus said:

kreatyve said:

@panderus While I am trying to understand and cope with the decisions, I would like to please ask that you PLEASE do not put the Loyal gear in a lockbox. I would prefer it to be more readily available rather than have it in a lockbox. :( Trade bar store comes to mind, that way people still have to buy keys to get it, but are pretty much guaranteed to get the pieces they want/need.

Lockbox is not likely where we would put them, no.

Personally, I would like to see the Lightfoot Thief come from some gameplay related activity.
    Please make companion gear available at the seals vendor. And not in three months if possible. Given how game breaking bonding runestones are, companion gear is extremely important for character progression. This can't be ignored for long.

And for god's sake, don't give us lame pets as a little farewell gift. I have 2 endgame characters and an account-wide ioun stone unlocked. I can't get new companion gear but I'm going to get a green pet. What the heck am I supposed to do with that useless HAMSTER?
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer
    @nameexpired There are no dwindling players on the PC shard, our numbers have been stable for a while. We actually have seen an uptick of players just from announcing PS4 and continuing through M10.

@truckula We currently plan to remove the UI and quests that mention Gateway with the next module release. I have also already mentioned we will be looking at what to do with the SCA rewards before.

@denvald We went though the thought process of what it would take to bring SCA to the main game. All we would really save is some design and art time but it would still need a lot of UI work to implement. It is still possible we could do it, but it is a pretty big investment for a feature not that many players used a lot of. Part of why it wasnt played as much as expected was just because it was outside the game. I remember playing it a lot when it was released for a long time on an iPad while watching TV, it was nice between commercials or slow parts in a show.
  • thesomething000thesomething000 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    I'm really gonna miss the gateway just like everyone else. If enough ppl post, maybe they'll take a hint. maybe they could upgrade in game professions. it definatly takes me longer to do professions now
  • lazaroth666lazaroth666 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,332 Arc User
    What's the point in closing the Gateway? The bots were abusing the professions window and the AH, that's all. So, why you didn't disable only the professions and the AH? It doesn't make any sense to close the whole website since only a few parts of it were being abused. The SCA was limited due to the Stamina, you either spend Zen or AD for more companions and stamina. So many hours and money spent in a product just to close it later is a total waste of resources. Of course, there's more than just a botting issue behind this decision. Btw, NWO is starting to look like any other game, the main features: Foundry, Gateway and others were highlights of this game and now it's just the typical boring game: log in and farm like crazy, that's all.
    fkze9t.jpg
    ▄▀▄▀ Check out my blog for more information and cool videos: NWO-Battleground ▀▄▀▄
    Proud founder of the 'Primacy' alliance
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    Its ok everyone, I hear the Gateway was stockpiling WMD's. The good folks over at Cryptic have done us a solid by removing the tyrannical threat that was the bots. (Just don't look too closely at that mini apparatus or you'll notice the hidden recording devices)

On a side note, I fear for next generation of Sword Coast nobility; no one is guarding them on their trips anymore. They're all doomed... less elemental cultists to worry about though... so there is that I suppose.

^^
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    panderus said:

Part of why it wasnt played as much as expected was just because it was outside the game. I remember playing it a lot when it was released for a long time on an iPad while watching TV, it was nice between commercials or slow parts in a show.

I'd like to have played SCA on breaks more than I did, but it tended to take me a really long time for me to finish a T6 game, and I couldn't consistently retain progress between devices. Interacting with SCA on multiple devices in a single day tended to create unexpected outcomes. Lag and dice rolls either skipping or repeating didn't help. It was fun when I could play it and I am really sorry to see it go, even though most of my interaction with it was getting the Shepherd and the daily D20 roll.

It might have been a nice activity alongside TV, especially for tablet-owners, but my home screentime is all computer.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • vonbek#3799 vonbek Member Posts: 29 Arc User
    panderus said:

panderus said:

kreatyve said:

@panderus While I am trying to understand and cope with the decisions, I would like to please ask that you PLEASE do not put the Loyal gear in a lockbox. I would prefer it to be more readily available rather than have it in a lockbox. :( Trade bar store comes to mind, that way people still have to buy keys to get it, but are pretty much guaranteed to get the pieces they want/need.

Personally, I would like to see the Lightfoot Thief come from some gameplay related activity.
    Maybe an epic level leadership profession task??
    That is an interesting and flavorful place to put them.
    If that ends up the plan then do it sensibly...

Shepard in early leadership as a one off or as a short quest/added drop to existing quest ( for example have him found down the sewers in "Nest Egg" ), Loyals in the upper regions or even max of relevant prof but not as a rare job and Lightfoot as agreed at upper levels of LD ( even though I'm shooting myself in the foot here since I think my highest is still level 18 ) for example

Make those Loyals BOE to allow those who are already geared to supply those that aren't, even throw BTA versions in the TB store too for people without raised professions.

There's lots of ways to do it fairly and still provide a gating and also inherent revenue possibility too... whereas as @Kreatyve said Lockboxes probably would have an inherent Pitchfork generating possibility. :wink:
  • kreatyvekreatyve Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 10,545 Community Moderator
    @panderus I didn't play SCA a lot recently, but I have spent a lot of AD to upgrade some companions to epic or even Legendary mainly for SCA. So if there is a way to add this to the game, or some other way to use companions that are inactive (companion battles!), that would be really awesome.
    My opinions are my own. I do not work for PWE or Cryptic. - Forum Rules - Protector's Enclave Discord - I play on Xbox
    Any of my comments not posted in orange are based on my own personal opinion and not official.
    Any messages written in orange are official moderation messages. Signature images are now fixed!
    kuI2v8l.png
  • theflowerbottheflowerbot Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Not happy Jan.
    Before you jump to judge me, know this - I was called flowerbot long before I started playing Neverwinter.
  • weaver936weaver936 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 443 Arc User
    panderus said:

panderus said:

kreatyve said:

Maybe an epic level leadership profession task??
    That is an interesting and flavorful place to put them.
    it WOULD ad some use to leadership since you killed it (basically ) with other nerfs.
    “Improvise, Adapt and Overcome!”

― Clint Eastwood, Heartbreak Ridge

Guild Leader of Ardent Justice HQ: Always recruiting People not Pixels.

FOUNDER and OWNER of the SKT3K Channel: SKT Only Content 3k+. http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter/#/discussion/1228278/skt-content-for-the-non-elite-video-links-provided
  • ocennaocenna Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User
    I've not bothered to post on the forums before but I just wanted to let you know that when I first started playing this game, foundry and the gateway were huge sellers to me and I told my friends all about it. I loved taking my pets on a dice rolling adventure. I'm majorly sad about this decision, it was a great asset to the players of the game and has destroyed something I really enjoyed. Also, I don't believe that the players are going to see better or more content sooner because of this, I just don't trust you guys on that - you have given no information to indicate it is anything but an excuse.

Emotions aside, practicality means you'll need to add the pet gear and thief companion as available treasures in dungeons or HEs or something ASAP. The price on those things has already skyrocketed and they are items that are in demand daily.
  • theflowerbottheflowerbot Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Can we have a mini game client for portable devices? Those of us who support you with real $$ sometimes have to WORK and the gateway made this game attractive to us. Without it, it is far less attractive ... ** hears the sound of faraway virtual lands calling **

Please make it easier to search, sort and clear read mail items.

Can professions tell us how much of something we have or are missing? High VIP make it almost ok to get profession materials but can u add a market icon in game like for bazaar? The professions vendor we can summon is too ugly to deal with. And sometimes you know, our 12 months of VIP runs out and we take a short $$ feeding break while we figure out how much we still like this game and whether its worth coughing up$ for it the next time .. when that time comes, the green companion you gave me which I probably won't be using is not gonna be the thing that warms my heart and decides it for me.

And please add the 'time since online' info to guild roster. How are we gonna know who to kick otherwise?. What about 'read only' access to all the data so we can build our own tools to search and view it to our heart's content. Guild leaders would like to be able to export/analyse coffer donations and activity.

And if you do happen to look at the guild roster, can you please remove the bug that stops a guild in an alliance from seeing more guild members from a guild in their alliance their own total? Did you know that was happening? If my guild has 10 members the most number of members in another guild I can see is 10? Surely this is not 'by design'...

** One more thing **

The auction house on the gateway sorted more intelligently than the ingame version - can you add that to the game version. Main example is 'by price' actually seemed to work on the gateway where it does something different in game.

Still not happy tho.
    Post edited by theflowerbot on
    Before you jump to judge me, know this - I was called flowerbot long before I started playing Neverwinter.
  • albugalalbugal Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    Please make the SCA accessible somewhere! I rather enjoyed playing the game, and I spent precious diamonds getting those purple companions ready to play. My three-year-old even enjoyed the easy tiers. Would you at least make the companion gear BoA? I'd like to spread the love to alts now that I cannot get new ones. Sword Coast Adventures was great; please don't kill it.

The companion is quite cute, but could you make the active bonus pack a better punch, please? It would help with the sorrow of losing the oh-so-handy Gateway and the amazing SCA.
  • iandarkswordiandarksword Member Posts: 978 Arc User
    @panderus I'd like to recommend adding the companion gear, or all of the SCA drops really, as further RNG options in the Foundry loot table. Perhaps limiting the loot table to the prior eligibility for daily quests (15+ minutes). That way not every drop from a Foundry chest would be seen as "worthless".
    "I don't know, I'm making it up as I go..."
    Featured Foundry Quest: Whispers of an Ancient Evil [v3] - NW-DQ4WKW6ZG
    Foundry Quest: Harper Chronicles: Blacklake - NW-DCPA4W2Q5
  • blairreblairre Member Posts: 21 Arc User

Can we have a mini game client for portable devices? Those of us who support you with real $$ sometimes have to WORK and the gateway made this game attractive to us. Without it, it is far less attractive ... ** hears the sound of faraway virtual lands calling **

Please make it easier to search, sort and clear read mail items.

Can professions tell us how much of something we have or are missing? High VIP make it almost ok to get profession materials but can u add a market icon in game like for bazaar? The professions vendor we can summon is too ugly to deal with. And sometimes you know, our 12 months of VIP runs out and we take a short $$ feeding break while we figure out how much we still like this game and whether its worth coughing up$ for it the next time .. when that time comes, the green companion you gave me which I probably won't be using is not gonna be the thing that warms my heart and decides it for me.

And please add the 'time since online' info to guild roster. How are we gonna know who to kick otherwise?. What about 'read only' access to all the data so we can build our own tools to search and view it to our heart's content. Guild leaders would like to be able to export/analyse coffer donations and activity.

And if you do happen to look at the guild roster, can you please remove the bug that stops a guild in an alliance from seeing more guild members from a guild in their alliance their own total? Did you know that was happening? If my guild has 10 members the most number of members in another guild I can see is 10? Surely this is not 'by design'...

Still not happy tho.

They won't do anything like that they are just hoping we spend actual money on their game for refinement not that anyone with half a brain will

• gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 61 Arc User

Here's a few observations I have thought of:
    1. Watching the explosion of negative response from the gateway shutdown, I have something to say. If you think that Cryptic didn't weighed the pros and cons of alienating the player base against the time, effort, money and servers needed to keep the gateway up, you're dumb. Try to see it from their shoes, the bots have gotten so good that they can make a new account, make a character, complete the starting quests, invoke, run daily dungeons and skirmishes, and post up items for auction, then using the gateway they can max professions, spam run SCA for items and trawl the AH for any deals and repost all for profit. They can't ban accounts fast enough to fight the influx of new characters. And all that is happening with gateway up, 5% of traffic is legitimate players using it as its meant to, 95% bots abusing it to farm.

Actually you are incorrect. They dont care about the Gateway shutdown affecting players in the slightest.

Ill make it simple for you, and anyone else who thinks they worried before they dropped Gateway. Ill ask a few simple questions.

How many XBox players (potential paying players) used Gateway?

How many PS4 players (potential paying players) used Gateway?

How many XBox/PS4 players vs. PC?

theyve already given you the answer to that question, theyve also already given you how many XBox/PS4 accounts have been made.

PC is now an afterthought, were the niche market. We will NEVER be as profitable as the PS4/XBox crowd...so why waste time and effort on fixing things for PC, when you can allocate resources to the console.

If you dont think thats whats happening, your mentally incompetent. As my dear old dad used to tell me "Money talks, HAMSTER walks.", and PC is now the HAMSTER.

From this point onwards, were just going to be another test server. Thats it. Sure well get expansions, etc. Before the consoles. But thats only to test them.

• jaysun1977jaysun1977 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 177 Arc User
    @strumslinger @panderus @Mimic_King

A question out of interest:

These "ressources" that are now freed up, how are they going to help in the creation of new content?

I cannot, for the life of me, figure out how an additonal few infrastructure and security guys or web application specialists are going to help out with the content. I can also not believ that the financial cost or running the gateway was large enough to free up an entire new job role. What you need for content are game designers that can deliver a better experience than "Army Men: Sarge's War". You need game designers that both understand the psychology behind game design (specifically task resolution and reward mechanics) as well as the mechanical side of game design. For some reason I doubt that just such guys have been wasted on gateway duty for all this time.
  • audioalleyaudioalley Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Sad. I used the gateway from work. That way I could do my rofessions work 3x a day. Now, since I can't access the main game til I get home, I will only get to do professions 1x a day. That rots.
This discussion has been closed.