What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Hunter Ranger changes

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    jhpnw said:

Im for this our armor sets already stack recovery! but now recovery only works out of combat since a few mods back that would have to be changed

@jhpnw

Regeneration (passive health replenish stat) only works out of combat. Recovery (cooldown reduction/AP gain stat) works fine in combat.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    amenar said:

It's pretty clear that you love the changes to Steel Breeze, so I'll pass along that we need more charge based powers.

>:)

We'll be looking at Steel Breeze again, and removing the charges.

I would suggest editing the first post to indicate that this change is being reverted (even if you don't get it into a build right away) to possibly head off some of the people still wanting to scream at you about it.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    ghoulz66ghoulz66 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,748 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    They really need to test archery and combat themselves just so they can actually feel the horrific flaws behind them. They don't seem to take testers seriously enough.

The only thing we could get through was, steel breeze nurf, trapper ruined...? "Ok, we change it back". That's not even progress!! Only class progress was, trapper nerf, trapper back to normal. Toke a step backward and are in the same boat still. Archery and Combat have no true QoL improvements.
  • Options
    canescioltocanesciolto Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    As i remember, skills without cap or at least not capped to 5: Oppresive Force, Steel Time, Ice Terrain, Conduit of Ice (slotted), Smoke Bomb, Blade Flurry, Dazing Strike (in stealth), Weapon Master's Strike, Spinning Strike and surely im missing a lot more.

Of course, almost all of these powers are used by 95% of players. Who knows why? ;)

Starting from the statement that, if Devs want the meta to be in some way usually its not the best (or the right) way, the question is: if the cap is intended, why some skills are capped and some others are not? Its not needed a degree to imagine that ppl will use the uncapped and trash the capped ones :)

Making differences only creates unbalance, HR is a clear example.
  • Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    ghoulz66 said:

They really need to test archery and combat themselves just so they can actually feel the horrific flaws behind them. They don't seem to take testers seriously enough.

The only thing we could get through was, steel breeze nurf, trapper ruined...? "Ok, we change it back". That's not even progress!! Only class progress was, trapper nerf, trapper back to normal. Toke a step backward and are in the same boat still. Archery and Combat have no true QoL improvements.

in the end its still a nerf. Aoe capped, dazes reduced.
    i was glad for oak skin but its not healing like it states...hence awful as always.
    im just glad for hawkeye but hawk shot animation sucks so i guess i ll continue to not use it.
    combat and archery are nothing we can really talk about...they need laying on of the hands
  • Options
    demortian#6338 demortian Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Feedback
    Cold Steel Hurricane - remove target cap.
    Steel Breeze - remove charges.
    Seismic Shot - 10 target cap in line.
    Rain of Swords - insta cast, 10 target cap in line.
    Longstrider's Shot - little lover buff activation range.
    Gushing Wound - little faster cast will be nice.
    Plant Growth - 10 target cap.
    Slow HR = dead HR.

Bug
    Plant Growth - not procs Blade storm.
    Hindering Strike - sometimes it not deal dmg at all, and no roots..

• Options
    edited July 2016
    I'll be quite honest. I don't really care if they reduced the cap on plant growth or, even if they plan to nerf the damage. I just want the damage of other powers tuned up. I feel frustrated to even have to slot that power just to see my DPS go up. Even as trapper I just want to sit far back and root them and snipe them off, but it doesn't go by fast enough so I gotta finish them off by yanking vines off my fence and strangle my foe to death with them. You don't have to use it, but it's a fairly large DPS loss. All that power does is remind me of what I can't be, which is actually be a ranger and plug bad guys full of arrows or slice them up.

Same situation for combat, but worst, far worst. Why use my blades to cut their throats when the vines on my fence are a much deadlier tool?

It only makes me stratch my head further. Why is the damage on this power so great for it's AoE range and speed? It only makes me wish powers like Arms of Hadar were just as good and that's harder to use.
  • Options
    feanor70118feanor70118 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,170 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Apparently the situation is that only have so much time and so much budget to fix a thoroughly screwed up class. That alone shows they haven't been listening to us and came into this project with the wrong set of ideas. If they were going to approach it from an uninformed perspective (and seriously if they were actually tracking high geared HRs in the game rather than internally they'd have found a lot more of us using Longstrider's in my opinion - and anyone who told them that adding charges to steel breeze was a good idea was clueless beyond belief), with no intention of actually fixing the class they thoroughly screwed up and neglected with mods 6-9, I don't see why they bothered. The earlier suggestions of simply buffing all damage by 30-50% except for Cordon/Plant Growth and then maybe nerfing thorned roots make more sense than a hundred little tweaks that don't accomplish much individually or collectively. And our problem is much worse in pvp, where as they have been for TWO YEARS they're ignoring us completely.

These little tweaks and totally uncalled-for nerfs to target caps are just pointless. If Cryptic ever gets around to real pvp balancing none of them are even a foundation to build on. To the extent any of these changes affect us in pvp they're just more nerfs to the class they've already nerfed into the basement. Unbelievable.
  • Options
    alliera7311alliera7311 Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    Feedback

Plant Growth-Needs to Proc Blade Storm. (Bug Currently) *not mentioned either.

Plant Growth-NoTarget cap on Plant Gworth or atleast 10.

While in Melee make Dailes used in that stance Proc Blade Storm. (Bug Currently) *not mentioned either.

Gushing Wound-Faster animation.

Aim Strike-doesn't match its tool tip dmg and needs faster animation.

Base dmg-More across all powers.
    is nice.

Steel Breeze-No Charges on Steel Breeze you will mess with the flow of the rotation 80% dmg is nice though. If charges then make the CD faster 15 secs for charge refill once expended is to long.

Split the Sky-Needs a faster animation takes far to long to use.

Carful Attack-needs a clear tool tip on how it actually works.

Majority of all the other changes I like but this is what I'd like to see.
    Guild: TLO GH 20
    Main: EMERALD LEGEND
  • Options
    Feedback

The BIGGEST problem of not popular skills(like Rain of Swords) isnt low dmg but the slow animation(cast). It was ok if HR only have 3 skills.. but its 6 skills so faster you use skills = more effective you are. You can rise dmg of this skills to 200% and still noone will use it cuz its MEGA slow.. and as i said before Slow HR = dead HR.
  • Options
    peri87peri87 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    I'd suggest to look into older bugs as well, for instance thorn ward not hitting stealthed trs (also split the sky from the stormwarden paragon is affected by the same problem if I remember correctly, not so sure though to be honest)... if someone would ever want to use archery in pvp and its best encounters have such major bugs you know...
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User

Feedback
    Cold Steel Hurricane - remove target cap.
    Steel Breeze - remove charges.
    Seismic Shot - 10 target cap in line.
    Rain of Swords - insta cast, 10 target cap in line.
    Longstrider's Shot - little lover buff activation range.
    Gushing Wound - little faster cast will be nice.
    Plant Growth - 10 target cap.
    Slow HR = dead HR.

Bug
    Plant Growth - not procs Blade storm.
    Hindering Strike - sometimes it not deal dmg at all, and no roots..

I have been trying to highlight the problems with Hindering Strike for ages. It does not seem to use the Off-Hand Weapon damage in its calculations sometimes. Also Thorned Roots that proc off it only use Main Hand Weapon damage to proc the Thorned Roots.... I imagine that the supposed 250% Weapon damage to CC Immune Targets does not work AT ALL for Hindering Strike (hence the 0 damage).
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    wdj40wdj40 Member Posts: 1,958 Arc User
    wdj40 said:

Whoa I never knew about this thread until now... I have only read up to page 3 but I`ll just add a quick comment about a couple of broken things @amenar as I play on the X1 and never played the PC. I only contribute a little on the PC forums.

1st up... Melee Encounter Hindering Strike is broken. It does not apply any damage to Thorned Roots at all, currently Thorned Roots is applied from Hindering Strike but actually uses the Main Hand for the damage. You can easily test thing just by un-equipping the Bow... Then use Hindering Strike and watch the root tick damage, it is all 0. The Encounter Power should take into account the Off-Hand Weapon damage as well, considering it is a Melee Encounter.

If you use the Encounter Power Fox's Shift but dodge out of it fairly quickly. The skill no longer works but you can spam the Encounter button and the animation glitches out, but you cause no damage.

Aspect of the Pack is broken at Rank 4. It resets itself back to Rank 1 and it costs a fortune to Respec to take points out of the power. It only works up to Rank 3.

Natures Enhancement Feat does not work at all, putting points into it does not do anything on the X1. Completely broken.

Anything that states "uses weapon damage" in its calculations for damage for us is broken. For instance Lostmauth Set causes 25% Weapon damage on a Crit... It does not it just causes inbetween Main Hand and Off Hand damage... It should add the 2 Weapons together. Most things I have tested is like this for the HR which is probably why a lot of people think we are under-powered. I have a strong feeling both weapons are not used in a lot of damage calculations.

Feytouched is currently broken in PvE and only procs once. It will only proc again if you die or change zones etc. Very expensive broken Trans Enchant sitting in my bank. (if this is fixed I apologise as I have not tested it for some time)

Plant Growth does not proc Blade Storm.

I probably have a few more but wanted to get a post in before reading the rest of the thread.

Just PLEASE don't ignore these bugs.
    Main - Rydia (HR70) - Xbox One Player only
    Alts :
    Storm (SW70), Edge (TR70), AD Farm (CW70), Grunt (GF70), Rosa (DC70), AD AD AD (GWF70), Your Mum (OP70)

Member of Q-Snipe
  • Options
    peri87peri87 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    > @krondhor said:
    > @landelmer stop being a spoilt kid and read posts properly. And stop with the exaggeration. There's not even hundreds of HR players in the game, tbh, and even if there were, I highly doubt they'd leave over this.
    >
    > As @kangkeok said in the HR forums, the nerfs I'm proposing aren't to entirely remove the "feel" of Trapper as you call it, but to tone it down so that it's inline with the other paths, and then buff the entire base class so that all 3 paths have enough damage and viability.
    >
    > Since apparently people can't read:
    >
    > - Trapper: Swiftness of the Fox: reduce to 10% instead of 15%
    > - Trapper: Swiftness of the Fox: make it proc on skill use rather than targets hit (Swiftness of the Fox currently activates based on targets hit, which is quite possibly a BUG)
    > - Trapper: Thorned Roots: reduce to 50% or 70% of current damage at minimum.
    > - Class base damage: increase overall damage of skills by 30-50%~ (open to adjustment, some will need far more than others)
    > - QoL changes to some feats (i.e. Archery Stillness of the Forest should not rely on such a distance)
    >
    > You still have your Trapper playstyle, and now stacking Recovery is actually effective. Overall, you should see substantial increases in damage and viability for all 3 paths, and Archery and Combat won't be aeons behind Trapper. Archery and Combat will still need some adjustments, but overall it'd be far easier to see where they stand in terms of balance. Additionally, the class could quite possibly do with an overall cooldown reduction of about 10-20%, but that's not absolutely necessary.
    >
    > I would go for it but without the first change. It would still need to stack recovery which is possible with existing equipment but not an horrible amount. Return on Recovery is non linear in terms of time reduction so that extra 15% you will lose would be quite difficult to replace. Anyway if they do something like this I'll be happy to test it. I want to preserve the feeling and if a decent chance is given I'll try it.
    >
    > I agree fully with @ralexinor and I already faced and tested it to be viable, basicaly anybody who tryed in past ralexinor trapper+longhshot build knows it's still possible, as with that build we only had 3 pts given to swiftness of the fox (9%) it was still working okish and I went further in fixing myself around ~5k recovery to be more fluid nobody here want to kill at the whole Swiftness of the Fox, but it require to be toned down, to be able to obtain an overall base damage increase.

@krondhor I hope you realize that your build being viable is just due to the feat multiproccing not on targets hit but on how many times the encounter hits (in this case dots from gushing wounds), which is like exploiting the so called bug to its fullest extent, and that if you miss it you will just stand still watching your opponent nailing you, since you do not use hindering/costricting lol
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User

Feedback

The BIGGEST problem of not popular skills(like Rain of Swords) isnt low dmg but the slow animation(cast). It was ok if HR only have 3 skills.. but its 6 skills so faster you use skills = more effective you are. You can rise dmg of this skills to 200% and still noone will use it cuz its MEGA slow.. and as i said before Slow HR = dead HR.

Agreed. The amount of powers we have with ridiculously slow animations is frightening. My Combat HR uses Rain of Swords, which is one of those and I cannot tell you how many times the encounter has not gone off to due its laboured animation. Others on the list include Aimed Shot/Aimed Strike, Split the Sky, Electric Shot, Hawk Shot, Commanding Shot, Cold Steel Hurricane, Gushing Wound, even Cordon of Arrows IMO.

I'd like to comment on an earlier suggestion about having one hard-hitting power. Currently the only one we have is Plant Growth. It's no surprise that the majority of HRs are using this encounter - even Trappers despite it not applying Weak/Strong Roots to trigger their feats. We have nothing (besides Aimed Shot) that comes even close in damage - which is sad given that other classes have plenty of better options that do more damage than Plant Growth. While I like the idea of the new Hawk Shot dealing AoE damage, I feel the mechanic of doing more damage the further away from the target we are is not a good one. Just make it a devastating attack so we have one encounter to use as burst damage.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    • Clear the Ground: Activate time of the third strike reduced from 0.6s to 0.5s. Increased damage of second and third strikes of this combo. These changes have increased the overall DPS of the combo by ~35%.
    • Clear The Ground: This power's activation is no longer cancelled by all other power activations.

@amenar: could I get some clarity on this pls? Why is there a discrepancy in the damage of CtG strikes? It mentions nothing in the tooltip and I certainly wasn't aware of how this actually functions. Why don't all strikes of CtG deal the same damage? Seems like you are complicating matters.

Also I see no delay or cancellation of CtG when I weave in encounters. Is this something new which surfaced on preview?
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
  • Options
    hastur905hastur905 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    Til this point I have seen that most are treating this rework as a nerf, I don't agree with that assessment completely, but that is neither here nor there. If the objective of the MOD's was to make the other trees more relevant again then I support this. The gap in my opinion is not strictly limited to the dps output of the other powers but also has it problems rooted in cooldowns and and feats. The Trapper is the one tree that requires little recovery to effect cooldowns maybe 35% or so to make it that they can spam encounters without much need to use atwills at all. Some of this is in how or what encounters you are using. But I don't need to tell the community that, that is why most have moved to Trapper because that is the highest dps yield. For an Archer 70% RSI or above is needed to be able to somewhat maintain your distance and be able to attack with viable dps options. Having to stack this much recovery can mean that other stats like crit and power suffer, which is a catch 22. One Feat that helps with this is Scoundrel Training, 3 heroic points gives u +9% dps on your atwills. The catch is you must be not targeted by an enemy for it to work(what the tooltip says). Most, if not all HR do not chose this feat because in any situation or build, if u are not in a party u are the target. Also even in some parties if u are the high dps (congrats if u are) then it also does not work. My suggestion is this:

Change the Feat Scoundrel Training into an Aspect and replace the feat with one that gives cooldown

The idea here is that a Archer may choose to take feat points in the feat that say reduces cooldown by 10/15/20 % allowing them to put less points into INT or less enchants gear focused on Recovery and more on Crit, power etc. The second part is make an Aspect, perhaps replacing Crushing Roots or frankly any of the Aspects above 30pt mark with something like Aspect of the Peircing grants 10% bonus damage to all Atwills, then +5% for each point Rank 4 gives additional 5% CD on encounter powers.

Changing just these two things would offer a distinctive difference in the load out and choices between a Trapper build and an Archer Build. The Trapper would most likely not choose the cooldown feat, but if they do then they would be able to slot more Crit and power thus raising their performance. They almost certainly would not choose an Aspect that would increase Atwill powers though despite the additional cooldown on Rank 4.

Archers would at minimum take 1 if not 2 or 3 feat points in the cooldown, and almost all would run with the Aspect for both solo and party. Which would help increase the dps of this tree drastically. The fourth point in this would also help with the Cooldown in Aimed Shot, with an Archer taking both feat and aspect they would increase damage of Aimed by 25% and reduce their encounter cooldowns by 25%. This would put them on par with trappers when it comes to cooldown while remaining ranged.

• Options
    rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited July 2016
    @amenar
    so i spent another 2 hours testing only the changes listed.

lets stard
    BUGs:
    OAK SKIN: is not healing the amount stated on tooltip just 1/4 of it.
    BLADE STORM: is not proccing out of gushing wounds and plant growth. Most used encounters by combat HRs.

Feedbacks:
    DODGE: i cant really see longer dodges, the immunity frames are still problematic.
    GUSHING WOUNDS: needs really a way faster animation...please
    HAWKSHOT: animation is soo long that no one will ever use it.
    HAWKEYE: nice...sadly hawkshot is of no use.
    AT WILLS: damage is laughable at best.
    COMMANDING SHOT/STAG HEART: power without reason to exist. Would never use it, never.

Consider to rework NATURE'S ENCHANTMENT: the feat is really underperforming, something like everytime you crit you are control immune for 0.something seconds or restore some stamina would really help survivability.

CRUEL RECOVERY AND BATTLEHONED: these class features are really underperforming under all points of view. Battlehoned should be totally changes, cruel recovery should stack maybe?

please update us

• Options
    rhadamathysrhadamathys Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    Can you please fix:

jump and shift so they aren't exploitable?

Thorned roots to take into account off hand not main hand?

Hawkeyes double buff and debuff bug?

Xbox: plant growth won't trigger blade storm..

Here's a detailed explanation... On the first 2...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUzqNUkge4I
    Ney - HR (max item level)
    The Legendary Outlaws

Preferences:
    PvE and PvP - Pathfinder Combat
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Before any encounter interaction with Blade Storm gets fixed, it has to be nerfed. Scales insanely well with buffs and debuffs.
  • Options
    I really hope there are some serious changes coming for combat and archery for the next patch.
  • Options
    whitestaruawhitestarua Member Posts: 175 Arc User
  • Options
    kaudilhokaudilho Member Posts: 70 Arc User
    oh damn i'm on tv ^^

Harding Grim
    Guild:
    Dragon Server-Essence of Aggression
    Drider Server- TheWolves
    youtube channel
  • Options
    edited July 2016
    Feedback

Swiftness of the fox - Swap it with Trappers cunning in feat list so it can be used in Melee and Archery builds. It wont fix all problems but gives some interesting variants.

P.S. Blade storm - this dmg is caus by overbuffs from ITF+DC(same as soul doll and GWF atwill) so next patch ITF nerf will fix it.
  • Options

P.S. Blade storm - this dmg is caus by overbuffs from ITF+DC(same as soul doll and GWF atwill) so next patch ITF nerf will fix it.

Not true. While ITF is getting a nerf, another buffer will take the GF's place. This is not fixing the problem, this is finding temporary solutions, or in this case, an excuse.
  • Options
    scathiasscathias Member Posts: 1,174 Arc User
    edited July 2016

Feedback

The issue with blade storm is that buffs get applied to it twice due to the way it works (which is the same way that hawk eye and Murderous flames work) so while nerfing ITF will reduce some of the damage it can deal it won't fix the 5 mil blade storm procs (and that is on the low end of what bladestorm can do).

Bladestorm needs to be reworked so that buffs only apply to the damage once and then it will be "fine", possibly in need of some small buffs to make it viable since right now we have no way to tell how good it would be if it was working properly
    Guild - The Imaginary Friends
    We are searching for slave labor, will pay with food from our farm!
  • Options
    whitestaruawhitestarua Member Posts: 175 Arc User
    @amenar
    Feedback

Is not for HR, but Courage Breaker of TR needs to be nerfed!
    This is so overpowered skill.
    Damage reduction, power fuff, and slowing which TR can apply permanently to 1-2 targets!!

and this of @rayrdan
    DODGE: i cant really see longer dodges, the immunity frames are still problematic.
    GUSHING WOUNDS: needs really a way faster animation...please
    HAWKSHOT: animation is soo long that no one will ever use it.
    HAWKEYE: nice...sadly hawkshot is of no use.
    AT WILLS: damage is laughable at best.
    CRUEL RECOVERY AND BATTLEHONED: these class features are really underperforming under all points of view. Battlehoned should be totally changes, cruel recovery should stack maybe?

• Options
    edited July 2016
    Longstrider Shot buff activation bug
    If there is a player standing between you and the mob and you use longstrider shot, the buff will not activate if the player is standing too close to you, it will consider the player as a mob being too close.

This discussion has been closed.