test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

[Mod 10] Lia Knowles' GWF Destroyer DPS for PVE build.

Comments

• Options
    rinat114rinat114 Member Posts: 913 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    i turned on advanced combat tracker for the first time today,,(a friend from the guld helped me with it..i never knew how to use it haha) and we ran valindra and it seemed like all of my damage is from sure strike.. most of it anyways.. is that right? seems like my encounters are supposed to do more damage it looks weird

thnx

Sure thing. It's expected and perfectly normal. It means you're doing your job right, buffing yourself correctly when your encounters are on CD (and in the class case, with hardly any recovery at all, the CD will be long.)

This is a chart from an eTOS run I did with guildies yesterday, when your gear improves eventually your IBS becomes on par with your at-wills (numbers are a bit inflated in here, I ran with 3 major buffers, thus the 3.2m IBS and 600k SS), but eventually, if you look down the pie chart, they're still top DPS. It's a huge benifit GWF's get, no doubt.

(for enlarged version click here)

zLSywD1.jpg
  • Options
    kiori001kiori001 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just curious as to how much difference the Race makes.

Played the game years ago, came back and started a Tiefling GWF, stats are 16 str, 18 con, 12 dex, 12 cha, rest were 10.

Its only lvl 13, so if in the long run, Human or half orc made a decent difference to damage output, I would delete it and make it over.

I had put the first stat points I got into str and dex.
  • Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kiori001 wrote: »
    Just curious as to how much difference the Race makes.

Played the game years ago, came back and started a Tiefling GWF, stats are 16 str, 18 con, 12 dex, 12 cha, rest were 10.

Its only lvl 13, so if in the long run, Human or half orc made a decent difference to damage output, I would delete it and make it over.

I had put the first stat points I got into str and dex.

CON gives you %HP which is marginal compared to what you get on gear, since the % is from your base HP.
    CON also gives Resistance Ignored which is low priority and easy to get through gear if you have too much CON you actually will waste some stats since too much Resistance Ignored has 0 combat effect.
    STR is nice since it adds % damage bonus, however all % damage bonus stack and not multiply so its kinda meh for actually dealing more damage. Crit is an excellent scaling stat especially if you can get lots of Crit Severity like the GWF.
    For example Half Orc adds +5% crit severity. I haven't made testing on that m6 yet, but m5 1% crit severity gave me about 1% more overall damage which is quite huge (did the testing on a "maxed character"). Now m6 with higher weapondamage higher crit chance and things like lostmauth set etc. Crit Severity is even more valuable. CHA is somewhat usefull but too low priority and too hard to obtain.
    INT and WIS are straight up garbage.
    I personally have a "classic" 16-12-16-10-10-10 roll. With +2 on both 16s from Half-Orc for pretty much all damage dealers getting a balanced roll focusing on the Ability Score with % damage bonus (STR for GWF) and % crit chance (DEX for GWF) is great.

I hope you understand Half-Orc is very well noticable and the best min/max choice.
    Human and also Dragonborn are more "visually" attractive race options, they are for no class best choice, but somewhat viable. Allrounders.
    So if you don't like some flappy ears and spiky teeth, there you go.

After all you can also be a filthy casual and play Dwarf GWF and name him Gimli ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    kiori001kiori001 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Lol, that was a fantastic response, cheers for that.

I do tend to min/max, but basically having zero knowledge its hard to do. I will make a half orc, I have no issues with my toon being fugly. Your reply gave an excellent answer and the guide has been most useful.

Thanks once again for the quick reply and the excellent guide.
  • Options
    blackylukeblackyluke Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    kiori001 wrote: »
    Lol, that was a fantastic response, cheers for that.

I do tend to min/max, but basically having zero knowledge its hard to do. I will make a half orc, I have no issues with my toon being fugly. Your reply gave an excellent answer and the guide has been most useful.

Thanks once again for the quick reply and the excellent guide.

I am not the author of this guide/build im just a stranger walking by :D

If you try Half-Orcs don't even need to look ugly.
    At least I don't consider my Half-Orc GWF to look that bad:

pmoNkSh.png
  • Options
    edited May 2015
    blackyluke wrote: »
    I am not the author of this guide/build im just a stranger walking by :D

If you try Half-Orcs don't even need to look ugly.
    At least I don't consider my Half-Orc GWF to look that bad:

pmoNkSh.png

ngl his orc looks better than my human ;)

But yer, +1 to what Luke said. Orc is superior, no question. I'm just a chick and I prefer a better looking toon :) I'm also a min/max person, and will never choose a race that doesn't fit the class (dwarf tr's for exmample, my blood boils QQ), but if you don't care as much, do whatever you see fit. Con is super nerfed this mod, it contribute to so little of your HP pool it's ridiculous (seeing as HP pools are well over 100k this mod), and it contributes to a percentage of your base HP and not the HP you get from the actual gear. It's not longer viable to go dex/con for PVP even.
  • Options
    enzitoxenzitox Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Looking nice Lia :) 20k power and 20k crit sounds awesome;)
    Enzo@enzitox GF--Forsaken Rebels
  • Options
    edited June 2015
    enzitox wrote: »
    Looking nice Lia :) 20k power and 20k crit sounds awesome;)

Lol just saw this. Thanks enzo, been a while :)
  • Options
    tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    Laz:
    "18 STR - 18 DEX - 12 CON, including racial +2 STR + 2DEX, then each 10 lvl we will add points to STR-DEX. "

Lia:
    "So, if human, roll 20 STR and 13 CON/DEX...We're going to add +1/+1 to DEX/STR every 10 levels."

I am glad that Lia has a solution for my current problem because my ability score is STR26, CON15, and DEX19, which doesn't work for the build of Laz.
  • Options
    elfdrizztelfdrizzt Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2015
    Hello Lia. I met you in the game a while back, finally decided to make a gwf after your guide.. I just have a question about the companions. I got a few Death Slaads, Phase Spiders and a bunch of other companions. Are any of the two good alternatives to what you have? Slaads are selling for a lot and a friend of mine said they do a lot of damage. Is Phase Spider also like that? Should I equip it?

tnx

oh btw another question: PVP build setup? Is it the same as this one or different?
  • Options
    edited July 2015
    elfdrizzt wrote: »
    Hello Lia. I met you in the game a while back, finally decided to make a gwf after your guide.. I just have a question about the companions. I got a few Death Slaads, Phase Spiders and a bunch of other companions. Are any of the two good alternatives to what you have? Slaads are selling for a lot and a friend of mine said they do a lot of damage. Is Phase Spider also like that? Should I equip it?

tnx

oh btw another question: PVP build setup? Is it the same as this one or different?

Hey, handle is familiar, nice to see you again.

The Slaad is neither OP or that broken, sorry to burst the bubble. People make it seem like it has <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> addition to your DPS, but it really doesn't. Prices are broken accoridngly. Preview ETOS run, Slaad is blue -

Aofs7CA.jpg

It was 1% but I corrupted the logs by doing a DR lair afterwards, so it shows 2%. In solo content it'll do slightly more, but it's still not as good and defeinitely not OP. Yes, it ticks for waaaaaay too long, but most mobs don't have that amount of HP and will die long before it starts showing serious numbers.

The Phase Spider is way worse, sell it if you can.

I wouldn't worry about endgame companions just yet, level your GWF, enjoy it, you might not want it to be your main after all.

As for my PVP setup, I posted something for my guildies a while ago, I'll just copy it over. (Note though, it's a toal rework of the build requires different artifacts/enchants, it's quite expensive, but if you're planning to make a pure PVP GWF it might be useful.)

Paragon - Iron Vanguard

Powers:

At-wills - Threatning Rush/Sure Strike
    Dailies - Savage Advance/Slam (against tr's)
    Encounters - Daggers, Takedown, IBS (can switch takedown for FLS sometimes, sneaky cw's and gf's are harder to catch with takedown).

Passives - Weapon Master/Bravery

Feats -

SfyhK.jpg

Boons to change from original build:

IWD - Crit sev instead of Reco, Avalanche instead of Winter's Bounty
    TOD - Armpen instead of Defense
    DR - Augmented Thayan Bastion instead of Rampaging
    PVP - Living wall, Vanguard's Resolve, Wicked Assault
    Shar - Fey Thistle as capstone instead of Elven Resolve

In dom endgame (and of course, bis) stats should be around:

17k power
    10k crit
    6k armpen
    37% deflect chance
    21% lifesteal chance
    5k defense
    around 97k HP

All defense slots shall be Dark enchants rather than the original Radiants.
    Offhand bonus changes to Bravery for more deflect + runspeed.
    Trans Negation instead of Soulforged.

Deep Gash is a problem with avalanche, best not slot it for obvious reasons (suicide :D)

That's about it. My k/d is more than reasonable, I do lack some PVP insight and skills, but the build proves to be very useful.
    Post edited by rinat114 on
  • Options
    tostrek2012tostrek2012 Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    How does the greater belt of dexterity compare to the regular belt of dexterity? I understand that the regular belt has +4 dexterity. What does the greater belt has in its stat?
  • Options
    How does the greater belt of dexterity compare to the regular belt of dexterity? I understand that the regular belt has +4 dexterity. What does the greater belt has in its stat?

Level 60 (regular) Legendary stats - 4 DEX, 458 power, 298 crit, 298 armpen.
    Level 60 (greater) Legendary stats - 4 DEX, 846 power, 530 crit, 530 armpen.

I will say upfront though, I have the lostmauth set and the dex belt as backup yet I'm not using the dex belt anymore. I'm using the full lostmauth set. Nobody seems to care that the LOL set is overpowered and it doesn't seem like they're going to nerf it anytime soon sadly. Until then there's nothing to do really, if you wish to stay competitive, going for the set is not invalid until nerfed.
  • Options
    razerofhell#7086 razerofhell Member Posts: 1 New User
    Hia Lia- huge fan!

I'm a console player and we're getting the rest of the game's content very soon and looking at your Mod 6 version I'd just really want to know what should be my priorities? Companions/enchantments/gear? I already bought a lot of rank 7 azures for offense and some of the companions (don't have air archon yet) but what should be my primary priority? is my avatar set good for leveling or should i get rid of it fast?? how long will it take me to get to 70?

thanks a bunch!!!
  • Options

Hia Lia- huge fan!

I'm a console player and we're getting the rest of the game's content very soon and looking at your Mod 6 version I'd just really want to know what should be my priorities? Companions/enchantments/gear? I already bought a lot of rank 7 azures for offense and some of the companions (don't have air archon yet) but what should be my primary priority? is my avatar set good for leveling or should i get rid of it fast?? how long will it take me to get to 70?

thanks a bunch!!!

I'd say your primary priority would be leveling, shouldn't take long at a all, yet I'm not sure if they already implemented the new crappy EXP system PC got a few months back, hopefully it wouldn't be as painful. AOW should suffice while leveling, it did for me, yet take into account I was very close to best in slot so by the time I hit Spinward I got wrecked a couple of times, my HP just didn't cut it, yet they nerfed the mobs so again, might be easier for you. Start gearing up as soon as you can, get yourself in a good guild with skilled players and start running dungeons, enchants and the rest can come later when you have the funds.
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    ROFL, since Vanilla is being a troll and I can't update my guide due to - "Body is 6465 characters too long." aka suddenly too long, the guide has been updated to Mod 7. just not in these forums. You can find the updated version Bad link.

There are minor tweaks with the feats, boons and of course - gear. I have decided to change nothing with the actual build for now, expecting a massive change in Mod 8, there are some viable tweaks that became available due to SH boons, but they are not necessary. The build itself is still viable.

And again, I say that every mod but the response has been overwhelming, thank you very much for the support, it's much appreciated :)
    Post edited by kreatyve on
  • Options
    alyrissaalyrissa Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    Awesome guide, I am a relatively new player to Neverwinter. It helps me understand some mechanics questions I had and also gives me a clearer idea of significant stats and setups towards endgame (my GWF is just lvl 29 at this moment). Finally I'd like to compliment you on your work to promote gameplay and comraderie in Neverwinter. You have obviously put a huge amount of time and effort into this game and it shows, and we all get to achieve some benefit from your labors, thank you greatly!
  • Options
    alyrissa said:

Awesome guide, I am a relatively new player to Neverwinter. It helps me understand some mechanics questions I had and also gives me a clearer idea of significant stats and setups towards endgame (my GWF is just lvl 29 at this moment). Finally I'd like to compliment you on your work to promote gameplay and comraderie in Neverwinter. You have obviously put a huge amount of time and effort into this game and it shows, and we all get to achieve some benefit from your labors, thank you greatly!

Thank you very much for your kind words, much appreciated!
  • Options
    keldrath87keldrath87 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Why is Half-Orc better because of extra 5% crit severity when it misses 5% crit severity from feats that a Human gets? Doesn't that more or less make them equal to Human minus the +2 starting in dex or strength? Would it be better for a Half-Orc for example to drop 1% crit from feats to grab the extra 5% crit severity instead? It seems like they have to trade off one or the other.
  • Options

Why is Half-Orc better because of extra 5% crit severity when it misses 5% crit severity from feats that a Human gets? Doesn't that more or less make them equal to Human minus the +2 starting in dex or strength? Would it be better for a Half-Orc for example to drop 1% crit from feats to grab the extra 5% crit severity instead? It seems like they have to trade off one or the other.

A smart move if we're taking an orc is to take 3/3 Crit Severity and 2/3 crit chance feat wise. That 1% is really insignificant to matter. Not only that, while the orc will lose the 1% crit, the human will lose 2% due to missing abilities (-2 to either DEX or STR, usually the DEX is lackluster). 5% crit severity easily becomes nearly a direct 5% damage boost at 100% crit chance, thus if we're taking a BIS human and a BIS orc, assuming perfect mechanics and knowledge, the orc will have a slight advantage over the human. You can argue that the 3% defense is not bad, yet it won't make much of a difference in the DPS race. As a human however, I do have slight advantage with AP gain given the extra 3 points, yet still, Orc is superior.
  • Options
    keldrath87keldrath87 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    rinat114 said:

A smart move if we're taking an orc is to take 3/3 Crit Severity and 2/3 crit chance feat wise. That 1% is really insignificant to matter. Not only that, while the orc will lose the 1% crit, the human will lose 2% due to missing abilities (-2 to either DEX or STR, usually the DEX is lackluster). 5% crit severity easily becomes nearly a direct 5% damage boost at 100% crit chance, thus if we're taking a BIS human and a BIS orc, assuming perfect mechanics and knowledge, the orc will have a slight advantage over the human. You can argue that the 3% defense is not bad, yet it won't make much of a difference in the DPS race. As a human however, I do have slight advantage with AP gain given the extra 3 points, yet still, Orc is superior.
    Thank you. That's what I was thinking but I wasn't sure since the non-human feats section of the guide had 3/3 crit and 2/3 severity.

• Options
    vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    Hey Lia, I saw they corrected the Dragon Fury boon in ToD campaign. Have you tested it maybe?
  • Options
    vida44 said:

Hey Lia, I saw they corrected the Dragon Fury boon in ToD campaign. Have you tested it maybe?

I did, it's working as intended now, I'll change it on the MMOminds version soon with other minor updates to companions/artifacts. Sadly I still cannot edit the forum version since it's apparently too long for Vanilla.
  • Options
    vida44vida44 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 667 Arc User
    rinat114 said:

vida44 said:

I did, it's working as intended now, I'll change it on the MMOminds version soon with other minor updates to companions/artifacts. Sadly I still cannot edit the forum version since it's apparently too long for Vanilla.
    Perfect, just unlocked my 6th boon so was wondering where to put the points. ;)
    Thx.
  • Options
    Luckily I managed to trim enough of the guide to make it fit to Vanilla's restrictions, so this one's updated for Mod 7 yet still relevant for 6 for Xbox people.
  • Options
    gary5038gary5038 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 29 Arc User
    Are the new underdark armor any good? Or should I just stick with dragonflight?
  • Options
    gary5038 said:

Are the new underdark armor any good? Or should I just stick with dragonflight?

It's an overall downgrade, however I did switch my Elven Ward gloves for Drowcraft Raid as they're slightly better.
  • Options
    eshkull#7182 eshkull Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    Hi, I have a GWF who's needing a little guidance. I'm not quite level 70 but I have learned that Wrathful determination is better as I can keep my determination fully built with either running to the next set of mobs or slotting in Daring Shout. My question is, should I use WMS as my right click or keep SS? The reason I'm asking is because WMS clears a lot of the "trash mobs" faster than my daggers do. I haven't played a GWF since M6, so I don't really know of a good way to max my damage as a low iLVL player.
  • Options
    triscoavasttriscoavast Member Posts: 1 New User
    I've follow your build since i dont have experience with gwf but thinking only in DPS some changes come to my mind and i wanna see what u think of it. Instead using daring shout i use battle fury cause in my tests (just simple math, so can be wrong) i got something abt 15%/25% more dmg with it, then instead taking student of the sword feat i go for relentless battle fury cause imho the dmg i lost wont taking student of the sword i more than compensate wth BF and as i got relentless battle fury instead use florish i go for takedown, ofc the dmg is lower but with that changes the cd compensate.
This discussion has been closed.