test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Stat Changes

Comments

• warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    abaddon523 wrote: »

As it stands now there is no reason to choose Defense over HP in any situation. Even with the above announcement that 400 defense will equal 1% DR (before it was 393.5, so that would actually be worse), it is still just vastly inferior to HP.

Here's the math:

Let's say I have 50,000 HP, and 0 Defense. If I add 100 Defense, my effective HP becomes 50,000/(1-1/400) = 50,125. Alternatively, I can add 400 HP and make my effective HP 50,400. Which is quite a bit better an effective HP than if I had added defense. The value of HP is so much higher, in fact, that the break-even point is 159,600. That is, If I had 159,600 HP then adding 100 defense will be equivalent to adding 400 HP in terms of effective HP. So people should only stack HP up to that point before they even consider adding defense.

Now I understand that the goal is to prevent characters, especially non-tanks, from becoming too tanky. But defense needs to be made somewhat competitive with HP, especially for classes that are supposed to be more durable. I think at a minimum you need to give GF's, Guardian OP's, and GWF's better defense curves than you give to CW's, SW's, TR's, and DC's. My CW should need to hide behind a tank to stay safe. But there's really no way for a GF to get the durability they need to do their job properly with the slope of the Defense Curve.

agreed def should be improved on gwf ,gf or hp as stat should be removed from , cw ,tr,dc,sw gear
  • rgladiatorgladiato Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 313 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys, the stat curves are getting a second balancing pass. As a general rule of thumb now at level 70 all of your stats should be more competitive against each other.

As a soft rule, 400 Points in any stat is worth 1% of whatever it does (Deflect Rating into Deflect Chance for example).

Additionally, we are buffing the Cooldown Reduction portion of recovery to make it fall more in line with what its expected performance should be. Every 200 points will generate 1% shorter cooldowns (keep in mind that 100% CDR actually cuts your cooldowns in half).

I don't know yet when these changes will hit preview, but they should make statting a much simpler thing to do going forward.

If I'm understanding this right you basically take stat/400 or stat/200 to get the % bonus. So 10000/400 = 25%?
    Nixon the TR
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.
    o1iHDN0.png?1
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I haven't ported my GF over to preview to look at this, but off the top of my head, both Martial Mastery (Tactician capstone) and Into the Fray have effects that are based directly on the GF's damage resistance, so reducing damage resistance is a nerf to these abilities, intentionally or not.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • hadestemplar#9918 hadestemplar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Feedback - Lifesteal
    The change to Lifesteal here makes it feel like kick to warlocks nuts. In the new map with gear which focusing on def, life steal, power I have to take trash mobs one on one, like it would be boss class monsters...

Before this slight change, I could use BoVA to take trashes, or just damage them. Now I have to run/shift away as fast I can when more than 4 mobs start hitting me. if I face 3 mobs who hitting from range, I already know that I am doomed. Even if my warlock hit back, life steal is not good enough to survive. More less I Holding Hp potions shortcut all time.

I like challenges, and in some time in Live server where to easy, but this change is little bit to drastically. warlock don't have instant CC skills, and even current ones, takes to many long formality. While you do it, you get killed. Even if use "Accursed soul" daily power, I get killed. It drain HP from mobs and regenerate my one. But in that time warlock get killed.

I think the classes who lack CC should get slight life steal or regeneration boost. After all the ones with CC get more survivability.
    ========================================================================
    “The masses have never thirsted after truth. Whoever can supply them with illusions is easily their master; whoever attempts to destroy their illusions is always their victim.
    Gustave Le Bon.

==================================================
  • candinho2candinho2 Member Posts: 550 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Hey guys, the stat curves are getting a second balancing pass. As a general rule of thumb now at level 70 all of your stats should be more competitive against each other.

As a soft rule, 400 Points in any stat is worth 1% of whatever it does (Deflect Rating into Deflect Chance for example).

Additionally, we are buffing the Cooldown Reduction portion of recovery to make it fall more in line with what its expected performance should be. Every 200 points will generate 1% shorter cooldowns (keep in mind that 100% CDR actually cuts your cooldowns in half).

I don't know yet when these changes will hit preview, but they should make statting a much simpler thing to do going forward.

I wonder when'll you look AT SW's, you are buffing all others classes and keeping SW's as free kill and unwanted on pve.
  • animalustanimalust Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 573 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    candinho2 wrote: »
    I wonder when'll you look AT SW's, you are buffing all others classes and keeping SW's as free kill and unwanted on pve.

SW will never be unwanted in PvE, PVP however we will never be seen again until Pre end game PVP, and until youa re Top Maxxed out BIS.
  • pantherwitch4982pantherwitch4982 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I play a CW, Oppressor MoF build, and it has served me very well over the past year. I pulled her over onto the test server to see how badly the changes would actually be with my particular build. I currently have 1938 Defense, and 1645 Lifesteal in my stat allocations. This has allowed me to work quite well in the past on keeping mobs under control and simultaneously keeping myself alive. I entered the new area and started running encounters, playing with mobs, running various quests, etc. Then I hit level 61... And now I'm seriously feeling as squishy as a brand new 60 trying to run VT in greens... My life steal chance went down to 4% (yes, you read that correctly... and it had been at 16% previously,) and the damage resistance chance dropped significantly as well. If leveling continues in this vein, I expect my life steal chance to be around 0.1% when I hit 70, and I'm estimating generously.

I agree that content should be considered challenging as you level up, but I do NOT think that causing stats to decrease (which seems a form of punishment for leveling up) should be the way to do it. It seemed that the minute I hit 61, my threat level skyrocketed, and my survivability tanked. I mean, seriously... Please, please, please take another look at how badly players in PvE will be affected by these changes BEFORE this goes live. I'm afraid that the game will lose numerous players if things are kept as-is.
  • kosmos1988kosmos1988 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The regen change and the life steal random proc is abit creepy for me as a pvp player. I rely alot on regen to keep me healthy, or atleast alittle bit healthier. And a random life steal proc feels abit meeh, also if a cleric just throws up a empowered astral shield, then he just killed my life steal by a 100% unless i do a shocking execution which penetrates that shield and somehow i get super lucky and manage to proc a life steal out of that. I have abit of doubt towards these changes when it comes to PVP.
  • mh0rammh0ram Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I play a CW, Oppressor MoF build, and it has served me very well over the past year. I pulled her over onto the test server to see how badly the changes would actually be with my particular build. I currently have 1938 Defense, and 1645 Lifesteal in my stat allocations. This has allowed me to work quite well in the past on keeping mobs under control and simultaneously keeping myself alive. I entered the new area and started running encounters, playing with mobs, running various quests, etc. Then I hit level 61... And now I'm seriously feeling as squishy as a brand new 60 trying to run VT in greens... My life steal chance went down to 4% (yes, you read that correctly... and it had been at 16% previously,) and the damage resistance chance dropped significantly as well. If leveling continues in this vein, I expect my life steal chance to be around 0.1% when I hit 70, and I'm estimating generously.

I agree that content should be considered challenging as you level up, but I do NOT think that causing stats to decrease (which seems a form of punishment for leveling up) should be the way to do it. It seemed that the minute I hit 61, my threat level skyrocketed, and my survivability tanked. I mean, seriously... Please, please, please take another look at how badly players in PvE will be affected by these changes BEFORE this goes live. I'm afraid that the game will lose numerous players if things are kept as-is.

Easy fix, no one level past 60.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    teribad15 wrote: »
    +1 to this GF/GWF should get 1% DR each 200 def points

Id rather have them give more value to AC since its REALLY undervalued in this game.

AC should be nearly a 1:1 or like a 3:2 AC:DR.

Also AC should work the exact SAME on EVERY class.

Tanky classes already get MUCH more AC than others. For instance:

My GF has 37.5 AC but it only gives me 13.5% DR?!

My 60 DC has 21 AC and this gives 5.5%

My Sent GWF has 34 AC but 12% DR

Soo tankier Classes already have built in more AC. This will ESPECIALLY become more important with more and more player able to reach really high values of armor pen. PVE characters will be TARGETING 80% ARP!

THE DR CAP is 80%!?

If we want a way to prevent 1 shotting in PVP Giving AC much more value gives tank classes much better DR.

At a 3:2 value I would get a boost to nearly 25% DR (up from 13.5%) from AC alone.
    On my GWF I would be at 22.67% DR (up from 12)
    On my DC I would be at 14% DR

See the difference? This helps make up for the Defense nerf AS WELL AS the ARP buff, because frankly given these values DR wont mean anything in PVP.

If PVE content is too easy, just buff their damage equal to the % increase in DR. BOOM PVE stays the same. PVP is now MORE balanced.
  • s1lv3rdrgnforums1lv3rdrgnforum Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 264 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    GCrush - man you guys gotta get gear updated so these one-time testers will realize it's not all doom and gloom.
    Bedlam: Creating chaos as a MI Exec TR
    Avariel Merilwen: Burn baby, MoF/Rene
    Aejun The Silver: Devoted to Healing, DevOP/Justice
    Mina Rosepetal: Super Natural, Pathfinder/Melee
    Frost: Benchwarmer, Soulbinder/Fury
  • masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited February 2015
    was thinking about sw and the change to life steal and temp lock what if one of thier attributes gained a slight increase in % for the sw ONLY. so it procs more often for them then other classes since its so integral to thier spec. up to the devs though i guess.
  • nathyielnathyiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I see 2 solution to help a little in PvP and for other class that rely a lot on Life Steal:
    + add a tiny guaranteed part. For example, with 20% life steal, it will give 2% heal + 20% chance to receive 100% instead of just 20% chance.
    + add a delayed effect over 2s. On hit, it heal for 80% then 10% per second over 2s.
  • kss1985kss1985 Member Posts: 118 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    This stat change it was something that needed to be done.
    It was impossible to have classes that had 44% DR 15% deflect chace, 40% critical chance. If we started growing those percentages, we would have everything al 100%. And the only solution for mobs would be to 1shot us.
    Where is the fun in being so strong, but been 1shotted?
    It is a hard break with the past, but this change is more than welcome.. for many reasons:
    - Finally no solo kamikaze CW with bazillions of LS that jump into 20+ mob packs and kill everything without die. Soulforge already allow this type of gameplay, at least now LS is no longer part of it;
    - Diversity in parties, we will have again need for more people and not 4 CW and 1 GWF. Is not even funny anymore, no strategy, just run and kill.
    - Maybe now we will have more difficulty where skill will matter more than GS.
    - This is a MMO, why everyone is complaining about solo play? Solo is a 5% when you level up.. Now the fun wil be to find good GF/DC/OP to support your super DPS CW/TR/HR.. and this is what it should be.
    - The LS change is the best thing that module 6 will bring
    edited February 2015
    morenthar wrote: »
    I'm not sure why anyone is even bothering to test anything right now. Until they update gear and make that next pass on stat changes, I'm not wasting my time.

I know, right? I thought about trying to gain another level or two on my tester character but then decided I had other things to be doing.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    The testing environment is craptastic and it's a real problem. We need to have 70s gear rather sooner than later to get an idea how the endgame will look like.

There are so many skills affected by the stat changes that have to be tested that it's not even funny.
  • lirithiellirithiel Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,482 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    But will the preview see lvl 70 gear in the near future? GMC said lvl 70 gear would not be available on launch which would suggest that it won't appear on preview either for a while.
    Our pain is self chosen.

The most important thing in life is to be yourself. Unless you can be Batman. Always be Batman.
    edited February 2015
    lirithiel wrote: »
    But will the preview see lvl 70 gear in the near future? GMC said lvl 70 gear would not be available on launch which would suggest that it won't appear on preview either for a while.

we need our t1 and t2 sets updated. They've already been done - they are in collections - they are just not available for us to get. I understand this may be hard to script - but even a vendor that has all the updated t1/t2 gear would be nice. I mean u can already get the updated artifact offhand .... and really the non-lazy (not me) could do all the math based on the text ... but where's the fun in that.. :P
    edited February 2015
    Comparing the collections on live and preview, the main change to any of the sets I've looked at is a substantial increase in their defense stat and a minor +/- tweak to other stats.

And if you already own a set, your copied character will have the updated version. I can understand not wanting to get every set on live for purposes of trying them all on preview, but you can totally check the performance of the gear you're already using.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• abaddon523abaddon523 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2015

I recently attempted some of the regular Tyranny of Dragons daily tasks to see how a level 70 CW would fare with the new stat/level scaling. I went to Ebon Downs and attempted Barrow Demolition. Enemies in this area were level 71. They posed a much, much larger challenge than currently on live. I was glad for it. However, I am a bit concerned that most of the population will have a lot of problems getting through these areas. I do a lot of damage and have a lot of control. Most other classes or less well-geared players will likely struggle.

After I left the Barrow something odd happened. I got two a messages. One said "??? is not a member of a party" and the other said "you are now fighting at level 38." I thought this was rather odd. Putting someone with level 70 gear at "level 38" means I get to keep all of my uber gear, but I get to benefit from the level 38 stat curves which are far, far more generous. Although the downside was that all of my spell damage had been nerfed down to level 38 (although my tooltips didn't show it) which made me hit like a wet noodle. It was an odd experience. After some experimenting I figured out that coming near a dragon is what reduces your level and leaving his area returns you to normal. I attempted to kill the dragon and did so without too much trouble. So the balancing seemed ok. Screencap showing the change below. Is this working as intended? I can't really tell.

4l2atz.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hmdq#4491 hmdq Member Posts: 508 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    abaddon523 wrote: »

I recently attempted some of the regular Tyranny of Dragons daily tasks to see how a level 70 CW would fare with the new stat/level scaling. I went to Ebon Downs and attempted Barrow Demolition. Enemies in this area were level 71. They posed a much, much larger challenge than currently on live. I was glad for it. However, I am a bit concerned that most of the population will have a lot of problems getting through these areas. I do a lot of damage and have a lot of control. Most other classes or less well-geared players will likely struggle.

After I left the Barrow something odd happened. I got two a messages. One said "??? is not a member of a party" and the other said "you are now fighting at level 38." I thought this was rather odd. Putting someone with level 70 gear at "level 38" means I get to keep all of my uber gear, but I get to benefit from the level 38 stat curves which are far, far more generous. Although the downside was that all of my spell damage had been nerfed down to level 38 (although my tooltips didn't show it) which made me hit like a wet noodle. It was an odd experience. After some experimenting I figured out that coming near a dragon is what reduces your level and leaving his area returns you to normal. I attempted to kill the dragon and did so without too much trouble. So the balancing seemed ok. Screencap showing the change below. Is this working as intended? I can't really tell.

4l2atz.jpg

Abbadon one question: how much in % your char return in Combat Advantage? Diminish punish this stat to?
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    I already posted that in the campaign feedback. I have no chance completing the dailies on my 17k Combat HR. Until 70 and geared, ToD has become group content for that toon.

And from what I've seen in IWD, it's pretty much the same there. Mobs are lvl72, which could be a bug though.
  • rayrdanrayrdan Member Posts: 5,410 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    loboguild wrote: »
    I already posted that in the campaign feedback. I have no chance completing the dailies on my 17k Combat HR. Until 70 and geared, ToD has become group content for that toon.

And from what I've seen in IWD, it's pretty much the same there. Mobs are lvl72, which could be a bug though.

i have to say...it's a problem on my 24.5k hr too (has just a radiance stone green) but at least is not boring
    edited February 2015
    Comparing the collections on live and preview, the main change to any of the sets I've looked at is a substantial increase in their defense stat and a minor +/- tweak to other stats.

And if you already own a set, your copied character will have the updated version. I can understand not wanting to get every set on live for purposes of trying them all on preview, but you can totally check the performance of the gear you're already using.

Will try copying again as my char def did not copy over with updated gear..

Edit: Nope - copied fresh and my gear level is still 60 while the gear in collections shows 92. The one thing I noticed is that if gear is not character bound (ie just in inventory) it will copy over with the updated stats. However that would mean buying a fresh set on live and while it's cheap .. im cheaper..

FWIW - the new gear would add +578 power, 578 Crit, 264Rec, 481 Def and 264 lifesteal. So it's not that huge a difference (well compared to the thousands of stat points we need to stay relatively the same - which i know we arent going to be able to) So for power, crit, def and recovery under the next patch i could add 1 % to whatever my current stat percentage is..(which unfortunately im still at 60 so the current # is meaningless) lifesteal would be .5% (this is comparing Swashbuckling gear at level 60 live to level 92 from collections)
    edited February 2015
    Hmm, ok. I was looking at Gateway which does show my character's equipped Draconic set as level 98. Gear in the backpack mostly registers as having updated ilvls as long as it's not dyed. Could be different if I actually logged in though.

Or is your gear customized and thus not being updated? That's a known issue.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited February 2015
    right i forgot about that - yes all my gear would be dyed. I dont think i have a character that doesnt have dyed armor.

Yeah even my warlock most of the gear is dyed "with questing dye pack" ... which is done by the game for who knows what reason.
  • ryugasiriusryugasirius Member Posts: 996 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Will try copying again as my char def did not copy over with updated gear..

Edit: Nope - copied fresh and my gear level is still 60 while the gear in collections shows 92. The one thing I noticed is that if gear is not character bound (ie just in inventory) it will copy over with the updated stats. However that would mean buying a fresh set on live and while it's cheap .. im cheaper..

FWIW - the new gear would add +578 power, 578 Crit, 264Rec, 481 Def and 264 lifesteal. So it's not that huge a difference (well compared to the thousands of stat points we need to stay relatively the same - which i know we arent going to be able to) So for power, crit, def and recovery under the next patch i could add 1 % to whatever my current stat percentage is..(which unfortunately im still at 60 so the current # is meaningless) lifesteal would be .5% (this is comparing Swashbuckling gear at level 60 live to level 92 from collections)

I just checked my own equipment, Black Ice sets weren't updated yet? Or did I miss something? Still shows item level 60! :/
  • koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2015
    Also as a minor update we are updating Great Weapon Fighter weapon damage to be roughly 20% higher. This should hit at the same time as updated stat curves.

is this already in preview or yet to come to preview?
  • ph33rm3ph33rm3 Member Posts: 549 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    is this already in preview or yet to come to preview?

yet to come
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    ph33rm3 wrote: »
    yet to come

Crossing fingers for a big PTR patch today - would be AWESOME!
This discussion has been closed.