test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spellstorm Renegade Guide: Death is the Best Crowd Control

Comments

• Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    That's correct. Storm Spell is still the stronger of the two. The bonus hit can proc off any damage, and it can still critically hit.

As for Artifact Suggestions...that's tough. Lostmauth's Set is the no-brainer here, although it's horribly, horribly, without doubt broken. I relented last week a purchased the set on the cheap, and the amount of damage it adds is absolutely insane. It might be 20-30% of your total damage done, which means it's actually a 30-40% damage increase in certain cases.

I was sure for the longest time it would be nerfed...maybe with Module 8 changes coming? So I can't in good conscious recommend something that's broken. Buy it, but beware...it can't possibly last forever.

Otherwise, right now there's no set that's super strong for CWs. The Valindra set bonus is fairly weak, so I just went with the Valindra Belt for the +2 int/cha, and then the Dragon cloak, since it was essentially free for me with the extra Linu's favors. But really, anything that gives you +AP gain.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    anagramofevilanagramofevil Member Posts: 22 Arc User

Prior to the Spellstorm buffs, I was exclusively a MoF (and one of the first big advocates for that path, alongside Chemboy). Following the Module 4 and 5 changes, I tested both builds extensively in dungeon settings, doing EXACTLY what you described with the exact same group make up. The only difference was that I was MoF for some of the runs, and SS for others...and literally respecing in between runs to get more precise comparisons.

And I found that even with the SoD +20% buff, the overall damage of the group was still higher running my SS Renegade build than with any other MoF build I could put together. Since Module 5, I've respec'd back and forth probably 20 times figuring out the differences between both, and each time, in a real-world, live-fire dungeon, the groups (regardless of gear level) always performed better overall when I was spec'd as an SS vs MoF.

@ironzerg79 -

Have you done this same level of testing after the Storm Spell nerf? According to the following testing on dummies, a MoF build with SoD and CP out-performed all tested SS builds:

http://blog.nwo-uncensored.com/cw-pve-dps-test-after-the-storm-spell-nerf/

With the extra +20% group damage bonus from SoD, it seems like MoF could be the more optimal path (post-nerf). Granted, the testing was on dummies, so it's not the same as running several controlled dungeon parses back-to-back with the same group.

I'm on Xbox, so I don't have the luxury of running parses on the combat log.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    What I've done for my testing (due to the lack of reliability on spells consistently hitting multiple dummies, etc during tests) is utilize the single testing dummy in IWD at the end of the docks, and testing out AOE and ST rotations. I find otherwise DPS testing the Trade of Blades or in Dread Ring versus multiple dummies doesn't provide very accurate results.

I'd be curious to see what your tests showed in single target testing vs the solitary dummy in IWD, MoF vs SS.

When I get home this weekend, I'll run a few more tests myself.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    anagramofevilanagramofevil Member Posts: 22 Arc User

I'd be curious to see what your tests showed in single target testing vs the solitary dummy in IWD, MoF vs SS.

Those weren't my tests. I found the article while searching for info about the SS nerf. As I said, I'm on Xbox, so I can't run a parse of the combat log - there is no reliable way to test builds on Xbox.
  • Options
    warfy02warfy02 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    Need help on a control wizard level 70 gear need to know which gear to use and artifacts Ty
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    warfy02 said:

Need help on a control wizard level 70 gear need to know which gear to use and artifacts Ty

Honestly I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but did you even read the guide?
  • Options
    niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    What do you guys think?

When capped at over 66% ARP, and sitting at 70% Crit and 27K Power and 20% LS, does it make sense to go back to the 99 ilv crit/LS rings or move to the Power/Recovery rings?
  • Options
    asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    niadan said:

What do you guys think?

When capped at over 66% ARP, and sitting at 70% Crit and 27K Power and 20% LS, does it make sense to go back to the 99 ilv crit/LS rings or move to the Power/Recovery rings?

PVE, I would go for power/ recovery. Loking at your stats, you went for R 12 brutals and you might nt have that much recovery.

Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • Options
    truckiesnaketruckiesnake Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Zerg,
    First off thank you for the guide. I found it an excellent, easy to read, step by step breakdown of what you have found. I've poured over it for some time now in anticipation of this release on Xbox and have changed from a Thaum to Renegade. I was hoping to pick your brain some regarding some things I'm seeing on the xbox Rene.

I'm currently at 10k Power, 50% Crit Chance (unbuffed), 41% Arm Pen (unbuffed), 11% AP gain, and 7% Comb Adv Bonus. My gems are all 8's and 9's and I'm still working on rounding out my personalized rings for this mod, armors, and artifact gear set. My pets are very well aligned to what you have listed, as is the feats/powers set-up. All my regular spells are at rank 4.

I am able to rotate between adding chill stacks, controlling, and freezing mobs very effectively in the new zones (Sharandar, Dread Ring, and IWD) but am seeing a huge difference in my effectiveness in dungeons. Especially compared to other wizards running different builds. For instance, my crits fly all over the place in regular zones, but seem to fizzle in dungeons. Also, my ability to utilize spells like Icy Terrain and COI (TAB) on dungeon mobs seems to go to pot altogether. What I'm seeing is "Immune" pop up on almost everything when using these spells. I'm assuming this could possibly lead to lack of ability to add chill stacks; therefore, missing out on many personal damage buffs as a result. Group buffs remain exceptional.

Did you notice anything like this while you were building up your CW? I'm sure I could very well be missing some key ingredient in my rotations or proc's, but I'm a little concerned with my personal lackluster damage output while running dungeons. Please note, this is in no way intended to be a criticism of the build, rather an inquiry as to what I may be missing.

I have fully expected to trade some damage output for team buffing, and I do welcome the change. I find this build rather fun to play, watch, and react to. My concern is what I am doing wrong to warrant such low damage output. I was hoping you'd have some input, despite only being able to test on PC.

Any thoughts would be appreciate.
  • Options
    romotheoneromotheone Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 729 Arc User
    Getting your arpen higher should be the first step, 41% seems rather low and it puts you behind by quite a bit in terms of damage.
  • Options
    truckiesnaketruckiesnake Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Understood, but mine is considerably higher than all but one of the group members I ran with. But yes, I will continue to add there.
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    Hi ironzerg, I see on Sharandar you chose elven tranquility which heals 20k hp when struck by foe, but on dread ring you chose shadow touch over enraged regrouth, wouldnt it be better to receive 20k hp also from dread ring too?
  • Options
    corydonn15corydonn15 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I'm also a huge fan of the guide and I think one thing I missed for a while when playing the build is spell twisting, You usually want to get encounter powers out 2-3 at a time then hit with an at will to refresh your encounter cooldowns.

That and using a striker companion with bonding runestones is a massive help.
  • Options
    boom782boom782 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    Would love some help with direction of my CW. Currently iLvl 2362 and I am torn on whether to upgrade companions first, enchantments, or gear. I have about 4mill AD to spend. I listed Xbox prices below.

Here are current stats and companions(also I'm on Xbox): SS Sun Elf Renegade CW following ironzerg build

HP - 57,342
    Power - 9,879
    Crit - 5,296
    ArPen - 4,183
    Recovery - 3,067
    AP - 310
    CA -862
    Control Bonus - 0
    Def - 2,096
    Deflect - 75
    Regen - 646
    LS - 2,571

I am wearing Eternal WoD gear, blue artifact MH and OH(should be purple, possibly orange by next double RP), mod 5 personalized rings, Owlbear, and old Cloak of Black Ice. I will have jewelry and tailoring to 25 today so first thing will be to upgrade rings and clothing. Using mostly rank 7 enchantments with a couple 8's and one Dark 9 and Greater Vorp.

Artifacts are purple waters, lantern, tiamat orb, and heart of blue dragon.

Companions are purple Fire Archon, green Intellect Dev, blue stone of Allure(summoned), blue Air Archon, blue Striker(+105 power and Crit)

What should I upgrade first?

Dark rank 9's go for around 550k. Can buy purple Air Archon for 550k(cheaper than upgrading my blue). Can buy the Lostmauth set for 2.6mill. Greater bonding stones going for around 650k right now and perf for 3.2mill so not using an augment would be pricey.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

UPDATE: Purchased purple Fire Archon for 195k and 2 Dark 8's to increase ArPen by about 450 but still only at 42%.

Post edited by boom782 on
  • Options
    solbergxsolbergx Member Posts: 654 Arc User
    I checked your guide and saw that you went with the health in Dread Ring and Sharandar, i thought it was different, sorry for my post
  • Options
    fallengodlokifallengodloki Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    @ironzerg79 I just dinged 70 on xbox, I currently have 71 points spent with 8 points avalible, and disintegrate is the only power I currently have at level 4.

What other powers would you say NEED to be level 4, and which ones would you also recommend to be level 4?
  • Options
    Put any power you use regularly at 4. Conduit of Ice, Storm Spell, Chilling Presence, Disintegrate, Icy Terrain, Steal Time, Chill Strike, Ray of Enfeeblement...
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    @boom782 The new T1 and T2 gear will come with a lot of armor pen, too...so look to upgrade those pieces with large amounts of armor pen first.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    boom782boom782 Member Posts: 183 Arc User
    edited September 2015

@boom782 The new T1 and T2 gear will come with a lot of armor pen, too...so look to upgrade those pieces with large amounts of armor pen first.

Perfect. Already purchased Alliance robes with seals and had my helm drop in temple of spider and both of those allowed me to move some stuff around and get to 6500 ArPen. Sitting at 2550 iLvl

Now the next best thing to stack is Crit? I'm only at around 44%.

Also, is the DC sigil REALLY worth the grind and lack of stats? I'm currently using Lantern, Horn, Orb, and Heart of Blue Dragon which all give me amazing stats for the renegade build. I feel I would have a hard time giving one of them up for the DC sigil which gives defense.
  • Options
    kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    At epic it's an extra daily every 2 minutes. Yes, it's that good. So your daily use goes way up, since you can replenish AP without combat.
  • Options
    Indeed. It's an extremely powerful ability.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    blindmonkeyzblindmonkeyz Member Posts: 289 Arc User
    Yes it is. I love the Sigil after using it. Mine is currently Blue at the moment. Hoping to get double RP soon to make it higher. I am using Sigil, Horn, Lantern, Thayan Book. I am currently sitting at 59% RI with 3 out of 4 Alliance pieces. Havent been running many dungeons cause takes forever to get into a group.
    XB One
    LGPG Alliance
    Reagents of Death - Leader
    CW - Phoenix lvl 70 4034 (Main)
    GF - Spectre lvl 70 4012 (Main)
    GWF - Ice lvl 70 4010 (Main)
    SW - Zor lvl 70 3230 (Main)
    OP - Box lvl 70 3002 (Retired)

PS4
    Look Good Play Good
    GWF - Ice lvl 70 3875 (Main)
    GF - Spectre lvl 70 2669 (Alt)

• Options
    edited September 2015
    @ironzerg79 I'd like to tell you a story. I've been having difficulty getting into dungeons lately, even with it being 2xSeals.I either get kicked out or the group quits the dungeon before getting anything significant. So I joined up with a fellow twitch streamer. We got a group together and started running TotS. We had a Pally, GWF, Cleric and 2 CWs (me).

Now I was barely at 2k iLevel, still wearing the Eternal Gear set with a soulforge, new MH and OH with plaguefire, some rings and neck from mod5 lostmauth and a green Greater sash of wis. With only 31% AP, I knew I was squishy as hell and so did the mobs.

My sole job was to "make icicles and buff the party." Knowing I couldn't be right next to the action, I swapped my skills around.

I ran Icy Terrain in Mastery, with RoE, CoI and Suddenstorm/Disintegrate as encounters.

The runs went pretty good, my only trouble was at the end boss fight. Those assassin's are tough to put down.

Was that a good power setup for what I had to do, or would there be a better rotation that can still keep me mobile, safe and able to "make icicles and buff?"
  • Options
    That's exactly what you need to do. Before you get re-geared, dungeons are extremely dangerous for CWs. I don't see a problem running IT on tab, but I'd probably do Disintegrate, CoI and Steal Time as my regular loadout. Steal Time still has a 25 foot range, so you can cast on the periphery of the fights.

It's also another reason why I'm not a big fan of Icy Veins...it sometimes can keep you too close to the heat to be really useful, or at least more useful than Spell Twisting, which is always great (for trash, at range and on bosses).
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    @ironzerg79 Only reason I swapped out steal time was cause I was worried about the long cast animation. I was focusing on dodge speed, knowing I might have to do it alot.

I'll try that load out and see if I notice a difference. Having rays of enfeeblment on spider queen helped tremendously though. My gwf (3.5k ilvl) noticed a huge boost to his damage.
  • Options
    Enfeeblement is definitely a good go to on the bosses. For her, I would focus mostly on a single target rotation, CCing and burning the adds as quickly as you can.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    xedo01xedo01 Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    @ironzerg79
    So far my cw has reached 60. ( still cleaning up all pre-EE zone quests to maximize my exp earned once i finish spinward.
    But i have to say, You have a very good guide, and for a NEW cw, and somewhat new to the game, I have to say this build( and walkthrough of the skills) has helped tremendously, to let me learn/focus on the class.
    Instead of where to put each point every level. Will i completely use this guide point for point? Maybe/maybe not.
    But i have to say. It has been very helpful to finally have a class guide like this one. Alot of thought and thought was put into this guide .

thank you.
  • Options
    drexcidrexci Member Posts: 93 Arc User
    Thanks for taking the time to make this guide it's a great help. Could anybody have any info on whether ranking up to a trans fey touch is worth it for a CW. Does it benefit the group at all?
  • Options
    Feytouch has a much bigger benefit to your DPS, and none for the group. The damage reduction on enemies could be considered helpful, but not as much as the debuff from Terror, Plaguefire or even Vorpal.
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    pbrand45pbrand45 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
    What are the ideal hp, def, life steal stats. I don't see how u can not get one shotted in lol by invisible fireballs , unless you have sheild as a encounter