test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Other Balance Changes

Comments

• yukimaru153yukimaru153 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Well first of all, they buffed a CW tree that isn't being used so they really didn't buff the current CWs you see today.

Second, HRs are the best PVP class by far on live server. BIS HR will consistently beat a BIS CW, BIS GWF and BIS TR.

Lastly, HRs are the only class I know who can burst someone down and go to full health at the same time

This is very true. But no one likes to see their class adjusted or nerfed. Your statement about the HR is true though. But I'm sure your honesty will not go far with the HR's XD
    edited October 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    The Renegade (which have been the opposite of OP) changes don't seem like they'll make much difference. Chaos magic needs a total rework. Fury is the only good part of it. Furthermore, we still have to put 5 points into one of two worthless T2 feats. Sure, this keeps Thaums from using Nightmare Wizardry, but they can still take Chilling Control from Oppressors, and Oppressors can take T1 and T2 feats from other trees, while Renegades pretty much have to stick to their own tree.

But I'll test it when it's available and find out for sure.

I will agree with you on all of what you said. But a rigged fix to chaos magic is to give us 2 of the 3 procs at the same time. I don't think it would be op because from what i have seen on the test sever my ren seems to be addicted to the healing proc >.>. uggg. Great heals though! .....sighs. We need two of the Chaos procs active at the same time and were good to go i think. Probably still wont out dps a thaum but that's okay by me. The buffs we give will help the party out so that's kinda like dealing good damage to me. Also i think the range for Chaos Magic should be raised from 50 to 80 for party members. I don't think that's unreasonable seeing how cw is ranged and melee is stacked on the boss. It would give us a little distance cushion....hopefully I'm not asking for to much seeing how im grateful to the devs for listening to the community about the ren cw.
    edited October 2014
    ghoulz66 wrote: »
    No buff to Nightmare Wizardry..?

That's what i was wondering to...but nope they did not buff it. It being raise from 15% to 25% would have been nice. But they worked with the overall crit rate. Its really hard to see how much of a diff thats going to make on while on the test server due to how hard it is to get dungeon runs there. I would love to see this on live.
  • rashylewizzrashylewizz Member Posts: 4,265 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    New Changes! (Not in the 10/10 Preview build)
    Control Wizard
    • Storm Spell: Chance to activate increased to 30%, but can only trigger on critical hits now.
    • Thaumaturge: Assailing Force: The damage from this power is now activated by Encounter powers rather than all damage.
    • Orb of Imposition: This class feature has been reverted to a previous state where it grants 5% increased control duration per rank.
    • Oppressor: Glacial Movement: This feat now increases the effectiveness of each rank of Orb of Imposition by 4/8/12/16/20%.

I like your idea of letting CWs choose between control or DPS. Storm Spell was procing too much and so was Assailing Force. This lead to tons of dot damage that really doesn't promote a skill-based duel. However I don't think you are giving "control" path wizards enough here.

If you are going to cut all of their dps (which is fair), then you have to revert orb of imposition back near its original numbers to 20/20/20%. I would then suggest buffing the Glacial Movement feat to somewhere around 8/16/24/32/40%. Do not forget that you have introduced tenacity which rendered orb of imposition useless for the most part until it was buffed.

Please take note that CWs cannot go into stealth, do not have block, do not have broken heals(like the DCs on preview), or unstoppable. If you are going to create a path that removes a lot of their DPS, you have to balance it out. I would also like you to explore the idea of giving Control Wizards more stamina to run away.
    edited October 2014
    I'm going to skip to what concerns me: Renegade Wizard (PVE) -
    Chaos Magic
    • Fury - 30% damage is nice, 10% Life Steal is basically useless to CW's, since most of us already stack enough for it to not matter.
    • Nexus - Armor Penetration - pointless, should already have enough to not matter. The 30% Crit Chance is good.
    • Growth - Heal's - no point, that's what Life Steal or your DC should be doing. Completely wasted result.
    Chilling Advantage: still inferior to Storm Spell and the diminished Eye of the Storm. Basically all damage passives are pointless except those 2. Even in mod3 Chilling Advantage was only 1/2 as effective as the old Storm Spell. Since mod4 Storm Spell is normally 25-40% of my DPS, why would I ever use Chilling Advantage. Even with the upgrade to Chilling Advantage, it remains inferior to Evocation (it burns 5 valuable feat points for no more extra damage than Evocation).

Observations:
    • Magic Missile remains substantially inferior to all other CW at-wills in mod4.
    • Renegade still has a 5 feat point structural disadvantage (since all our Tier 2 feats are wasted space).
    • Arcane remains inferior to Chill & Chill Stacking.

It depends on your build really.... if your ren is at 51% crit the extra 10% "should" make it to where you dont need EoTS slotted. But... that promised crit is kinda hard to let go of so i do see where your coming from. I'm testing it all out to see how it works. But the healing from Growth is very good ....at least I think. I think two of the procs working together would solve the problem and make it pretty nice. not so much as for the CW alone but for the party because not always is there a dc present. Nor is everyone epically geared in most pug runs. So they could help out a bit. However I really was not looking to the the next high damage branch of the cw tree. Just to be in a good spot :-)
  • kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I will agree with you on all of what you said. But a rigged fix to chaos magic is to give us 2 of the 3 procs at the same time. I don't think it would be op because from what i have seen on the test sever my ren seems to be addicted to the healing proc >.>. uggg. Great heals though! .....sighs. We need two of the Chaos procs active at the same time and were good to go i think. Probably still wont out dps a thaum but that's okay by me. The buffs we give will help the party out so that's kinda like dealing good damage to me. Also i think the range for Chaos Magic should be raised from 50 to 80 for party members. I don't think that's unreasonable seeing how cw is ranged and melee is stacked on the boss. It would give us a little distance cushion....hopefully I'm not asking for to much seeing how im grateful to the devs for listening to the community about the ren cw.

OK, this is from a PVE view. Chilling Advantage still sucks even with the buff (still always better to take Storm Spell & EotS). The buff to Arcane Mastery makes Steal Time even more the goto Renegade spell. Storm Spell changes but is still better than all other choices for Spell Storm CW's. And Chaos Magic is still something I can ignore 2/3 of the time ( I have enough LS, Healing, and Arp, so the only useful buffs are Fury (ie damage) and Nexus's Critical Buff.

As far as my buff's to the party, remember this is a RENEGADE build, and most of the benefits are worthless to a decent party (except for the 2 I listed above). Renegade doesn't imply party support build. The original Chaos Magic (ie pre-mod4) was completely ignorable, and the only party utility Renegade provided was Nightmare Wizardry (now a joke, just get CA from the other party members- HR & GF/GWF marking or positioning). So unless Thaum is seriously nerfed, it's always better to bring a comparably equipped Thaum than a Renegade (nerf to Assailing will help there, but I don't think it will matter, they have a few more feat points they can afford to spend toward a viable build than Renegade).
    edited October 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    OMFG so you wreck Chaos magic and make renegade a useless option , I changed to Thaum and have just finished making the Chilling eye of the Golden Dragon legendary and now you go and buff up Chaos magic ........................

o.O that orb works just fine with ren...at least mine. There's no point making the one for mm at the moment because of how its just so behind the other at wills. Chilling cloud is very strong at the moment. Granted not a giver of arcane stacks like mm but its great on mobs due to the third strike aoe type damage and chill stacks. But ehh just my opinion.
  • zacazuzacazu Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,934 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Feedback instigator:

please... NO MORE STACK SYSTEM

is boring (boring = killed the fun of gwf. got bored and frustrated in 5 minutes using inst) does not prevent problems in pvp and only brings frustration in pve (all classes have insane damage now. why gwf need all these heavy chains?).

make bonus with best answer. combination of encounters+ feets with effects more diverse. i dont know, but, stop to this stack systems.
  • yperkeimenosyperkeimenos Member Posts: 334 Arc User
    edited October 2014

The new renegade tree is much better, however Nightmare wizardry and Phantasmal Destruction ,being of the same tier,means that players will have to remain ,mostly ,within that tree and not be able to select tier 2 feats from other trees. These two feats work so well together that it's almost essential to have both. This could be resolved if one of the two were to exchange places with Masterful Arcane theft.
    It's BUGS bunny i tell you.
    edited October 2014

I'd like to point out that Spellstorm mages rely heavily on Storm Spell for their damage. By making it procc 30% of the time on Critical hits alone,means that for a 50% critical chance the average activation rate would be 15%. That is way too high crit rate for any mage to have,and will make Eots essentially the only other option for mages. This might be Ok with some people,but renders all other slottable Class Features,such as Storm fury or even Evocation and Chilling presence (unless you're a renegade) less desirable. I would suggest not to implement this change or ,if you do, also make Storm Fury (an undesirable, by all, Class feature) increase the proc rate of Storm spell by 15/20/25%. So at rank 3, the activation rate of Storm spell would be 55%(30% + 25%) on each critical hit. That would mean that a Cw with a 33% critical chance,would have an average procc chance, for Storm Spell, of 18%,thus making it a much more viable option.
  • twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited October 2014

I'd like to point out that Spellstorm mages rely heavily on Storm Spell for their damage. By making it procc 30% of the time on Critical hits alone,means that for a 50% critical chance the average activation rate would be 15%. That is way too high crit rate for any mage to have,and will make Eots essentially the only other option for mages. This might be Ok with some people,but renders all other slottable Class Features,such as Storm fury or even Evocation and Chilling presence (unless you're a renegade) less desirable
    This just brings SS Mages in line with MoF Mages. Two absolutely essential class features and forget everything else.

Welcome to our world. :)
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Storm Spell still does ~35-40% of a SS/Th dmg. About the same for SS/Ren. Not sure where the nerf is.

(Edit: Tests done in T2s with ~7.5k power, pVorp)

EDIT2: Yeah, I missed the part of this going to preview in a future build.
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    o.O that orb works just fine with ren...at least mine. There's no point making the one for mm at the moment because of how its just so behind the other at wills. Chilling cloud is very strong at the moment. Granted not a giver of arcane stacks like mm but its great on mobs due to the third strike aoe type damage and chill stacks. But ehh just my opinion.

Chaos magic only procs when you use MM so it's pointless using the Chilling cloud orb if you are wanting to go back to the new improved Renegade path.

Hence my complaint that they nerfed the Renegade tree for a couple of months , got most people to choose and level up to legendary the Chilling cloud or Ray of Frost artifact weapon then a couple of months later nerf Thaum and rebuff Renegade meaning that if you want to go full Renegade you need to level up the MM artifact weapon.
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • inthefade462inthefade462 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Instigator: Instigator's Vengeance: *Rework* Now grants 10% increased damage at all times. This value is increased by 10% each time you are struck in combat, up to a maximum total increase of 50%.
    This power appears to be bugged. It seems impossible to get the 4 stacks (which is max, so the 10% must be inherent with the feat, and each stack =10% more).

Running dungeons on PTR i'm pulling the entire dungeon until a door or something that prevents me from going further, like 30-50 mobs all attacking me and only rarely am i getting the 4th stack, and it seems to disappear instantly.

In normal fighting i'm lucky to have 1-2 stacks tops and i'm the one tanking everything. i'm getting hit fine, i'm getting determination to go into unstoppable fine. i'm just not getting stacks.

I'm not exactly sure what is happening here. possibilities:

It seems that the feat only counts consecutive hits from the same mob to grant a stack. so unless the same mob hits you a 2nd or 3rd time you will only have 1 stack max

*or*

the stacks do not refresh the duration timer, and with how slow mobs attack, you rarely ever get the max stacks.

*NOTE* Mobs attack very very slowly. they lack at wills. the 6 second duration of this feat is far too low. it should be 15 or 20s to match Destroyer capstone (which requires you to deal dmg while unstoppable to refresh, rather than just take hits, so inst capstone should be shorter than destroyer for this reason) but 6 seconds is far, far too low. especially since its so hard to get stacks.

Also, what are you guys planning on doing with intimidation?
    I mean seriously:
    intimidation_zps940dfca0.jpg

This is with only 10.5k power unbuffed. most high end gwf i know run with at least 15k power unbuffed. slightly reducing it 15% is a joke, right?

edit:

Ok upon further review on ptr it appears that the instigator stacking issue may be related to some bug with DCs?

Because running around solo in Dread Ring the stacking mechanism works as advertised. However, 6s is still too short. this still needs to be changed to 15s minimum.
  • bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    wixxgs1cht wrote: »
    Storm Spell still does ~35-40% of a SS/Th dmg. About the same for SS/Ren. Not sure where the nerf is.

That's because it's not on preview yet.
    Updated OP with changes to Wizard and Great Weapon Fighter that are as follows. These changes will *NOT* be in the initial preview push, but should be in a subsequent build.
    <snip>
  • wixxgs1chtwixxgs1cht Member Posts: 430 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's because it's not on preview yet.

Hah! Reading (everything) is a rare gift, lol. Thanks ;-)
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    This power appears to be bugged. It seems impossible to get the 4 stacks (which is max, so the 10% must be inherent with the feat, and each stack =10% more).

Running dungeons on PTR i'm pulling the entire dungeon until a door or something that prevents me from going further, like 30-50 mobs all attacking me and only rarely am i getting the 4th stack, and it seems to disappear instantly.

In normal fighting i'm lucky to have 1-2 stacks tops and i'm the one tanking everything. i'm getting hit fine, i'm getting determination to go into unstoppable fine. i'm just not getting stacks.

I'm not exactly sure what is happening here. possibilities:

It seems that the feat only counts consecutive hits from the same mob to grant a stack. so unless the same mob hits you a 2nd or 3rd time you will only have 1 stack max

*or*

the stacks do not refresh the duration timer, and with how slow mobs attack, you rarely ever get the max stacks.

*NOTE* Mobs attack very very slowly. they lack at wills. the 6 second duration of this feat is far too low. it should be 15 or 20s to match Destroyer capstone (which requires you to deal dmg while unstoppable to refresh, rather than just take hits, so inst capstone should be shorter than destroyer for this reason) but 6 seconds is far, far too low. especially since its so hard to get stacks.

I mean seriously:

This is with only 10.5k power unbuffed. most high end gwf i know run with at least 15k power unbuffed. slightly reducing it 15% is a joke, right?

edit:

Ok upon further review on ptr it appears that the instigator stacking issue may be related to some bug with DCs?

Because running around solo in Dread Ring the stacking mechanism works as advertised. However, 6s is still too short. this still needs to be changed to 15s minimum.

They have completely changed how mitigation works and is applied for clerics so it could be related to the DC changes. I've found a lot of weird stuff on my DC. I can't reproduce bugs reliably but they didn't change spells only they changed a lot of code at work in the mitigation, healing and DR mechanics.
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    iambecks1 wrote: »
    Chaos magic only procs when you use MM so it's pointless using the Chilling cloud orb if you are wanting to go back to the new improved Renegade path.

Incorrect. Dealing ANY damage will proc Chaos Magic. It was changed in Module 4. No one needs to use Magic Missile.

H3t1wP0.jpg

That being said, the new buffs to Chaos Magic make it very interesting. The +30% to Crit is a straight up +30%. Assuming you have Chilling Advantage slotted, I was rocking 80%+ crit rate with Chaotic Nexus. That's pretty powerful in a group.

My suggestions.

Chilling Advantage: Remove the need for Chilling Presence. Or fix the fact that Chilling Presence doesn't work on a lot of spells (See bug reports here: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?771251-M4-CW-Bug-List). Another option would be to change Chilling Advantage to be a +10% Crit Rate against targets affected by Chill.

Chaotic Growth: It's unnecessary. The roll of a CW is Control or Damage. Not healing. Change this to something that does or improves damage. For example, a DoT that ticks every 0.5 seconds for 250% weapon damage. Or while under the effects of Chaotic Growth, each critical hit reduces the cooldown on powers by 0.5 seconds. Or increases your Recharge and AP gain by 30-50%.

Finally, switch Energy Recovery with Phantasmal Destruction. Or modify Energy Recovery to reduce cooldowns on spells by .1/.2/.3/.4/.5 seconds when you critical hit with an at-will.

I think some of those tweaks would finally make Renegade a very compelling tree for Wizards looking for more damage.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • gilbertojhungilbertojhun Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    thedemien wrote: »
    Pretty much agree about 3.
    Would also add increase control strength and area of effect rather then control duration in Biting Snares.
    so that HR control would be able to increase duration if needed with Ancient roots.

Plus trapper does need some survival feet. Like increase healing effects or and temp HP to any buff power. We could pretty much make it instead of Fleet stances as suggestion. This would make HRs buff valueble again - now rearly ever you see HR as buffer even if you find trapper in party.

I Agree with them.Tapper needs survability, more radius effect to constict arrow and stacking grasping roots.
    It would be nice if you put a feat that make At-wills apply weak grasping roots, and when it stacks turns strong grasping roots then ancient grasping roots. Balance it on pvp like you've done to other feats half effect on players, it would benefit pve trappers, increasing the duration of crowd control
  • iambecks1iambecks1 Member Posts: 4,044 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Incorrect. Dealing ANY damage will proc Chaos Magic. It was changed in Module 4. No one needs to use Magic Missile.

Oh sweet , thanks for the heads up , I was thinking MM still needed to be used to proc Chaos magic , well that is a relief knowing that I don't need to level the MM artifact weapon if I want to respec back over to Renegade .
    YourSecretsAreOurSecrets.gif
  • aulduronaulduron Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,351 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't see many Thaums respeccing to Renegade, unless they started out as Renegades and want to try again.

The self heal should be removed, and replaced with something useful for PvE.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    I don't see many Thaums respeccing to Renegade, unless they started out as Renegades and want to try again.

The self heal should be removed, and replaced with something useful for PvE.

Can you people PLEASE stop thinking only about yourselves.

Leave the self-heal alone. CW has no means of survival. I tried full Renegade yesterday, and with the Storm Spell still buffed, it is half decent (i.e. it takes 10 minutes to kill a DC and you die in a single Lashing from a TR at 46K HP).

Storm Spell will get nerfed to bits very soon. Orb too unless you go 0 damage Oppressor. Thaum lost Assailant.

So Renegade is a slim hope for now in PvP.

Remove that lame random heal and you make it lame too.

You don't need more stuff for PvE...
  • koalazebra1koalazebra1 Member Posts: 1,173 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    CWs would need a coffin
  • abecassisabecassis Member Posts: 255 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    CWs damage is way to low compared to other classes now.
    In 1v1 situations there is absolutely no chance for a CW to win when you removed the Assailant. I cant even imagine when the storm spell nerf comes.

To compensate this you defineatly need to give CWs more damage on their encounters and/or atwills.

The common concern for people was that CW was skill less to play and was relying on proccs to do damage. Which was true, but when you removed the procc damage, you removed all damage. So at least bring some damage to encounters or bring back the proccs!
    Dr. Phil
  • hfgtfsdfshfgtfsdfs Member Posts: 688 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Nerf Stormspell damage
    Buff Focused Wizardy to make up for the stormspell nerf
    Buff shard damage on TABB or when flagged for PvP
    Buff Chilling presence damage

Nerf TRs.
    Nerf HRs.
    ZengiaH@ejziponken
    edited October 2014
    wixxgs1cht wrote: »

That's because it's not yet implemented on preview. It will be in the near future.
  • dante126pldante126pl Banned Users Posts: 257 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    hfgtfsdfs wrote: »
    Nerf Stormspell damage
    Buff Focused Wizardy to make up for the stormspell nerf
    Buff shard damage on TABB or when flagged for PvP
    Buff Chilling presence damage

Nerf TRs.
    Nerf HRs.

make my class 1 shot other classes plx qqQQqQQ
  • ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can you please stop suggesting such <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>? That heal is extremely important in PvP.

Burning someone down before they can do anything is extremely important in PvP. If you're hoping for a 1 in 3 chance to proc Chaotic Growth to save your bacon in PvP, you're doing something wrong. And when you're under the effects of healing suppression, that heals ain't going to save you anyway. Once you start trading healing for damage, you're just delaying the inevitable.

I'd rather bring full on DPS to the fight, and to the rest of the group. I can imagine any other group in PvP would rather someone bring a DPS buff than a small heal. If you want to bring the heals to PvP, trying a DC or a SW.

Again, the choice is what I said it is. Damage or Control. That's the two elements of a CW. Don't go trying to bake in some tacked on heal to the capstone. Offense is what the Renegade path needs.
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • zvieriszvieris Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I mean seriously:

It's not 15% reduction, it's 30% reduction. And what's this nonsense about 15k power unbuffed? What about other stats? 20k HP, 2k def? Good luck with that, lol.

And why are you surprised that intimidation does most damage from sentinel powers? GWF sentinel has the lowest at-will, daily and encounter damage from all the classes and builds, with worse survivability than GF. In comparison, destroyer GWF does ~3x more damage and isn't that far beyond survivability-wise due to much higher determination gain.

Before intimidation patch sentinel was completely and utterly useless in both PvP and PvE. Couldn't deal damage, couldn't keep threat, control, only run around like an idiot. No-one ever knew such a spec existed and when someone talked about GWF they only talked about destroyer GWF. Just look through the forums. Now intimidation receives 30% damage reduction and you still cry? Shame on you. Shame. On. YOU.
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Burning someone down before they can do anything is extremely important in PvP. If you're hoping for a 1 in 3 chance to proc Chaotic Growth to save your bacon in PvP, you're doing something wrong. And when you're under the effects of healing suppression, that heals ain't going to save you anyway. Once you start trading healing for damage, you're just delaying the inevitable.

I'd rather bring full on DPS to the fight, and to the rest of the group. I can imagine any other group in PvP would rather someone bring a DPS buff than a small heal. If you want to bring the heals to PvP, trying a DC or a SW.

Again, the choice is what I said it is. Damage or Control. That's the two elements of a CW. Don't go trying to bake in some tacked on heal to the capstone. Offense is what the Renegade path needs.

You don't understand, do you?

I already sport a tank CW at 45K HP, 2000 Life Steal and 1300 regen, with additional Incoming Healing and Life Steal bonuses, that is before I even pot up.

It's not enough, Shield or not.

I'll take whatever else survivability I can get.
This discussion has been closed.