test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Suggestion] Remove Life Steal & Buff Regen

Comments

• diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    aulduron wrote: »
    Any 5 characters should be able to clear any dungeon. There should be no required classes.

Without lifesteal, DCs could never keep the group alive.

They can. That's what everyone was doing at launch until mod 2. Of course there were a lot of subpar clerics not doing the job well and that was a common complaint. I've tried healing spells for the lulz lately in epic shores, i've scored 900k healing, which isn't bad for a 7-8 mins instance. My bastion of heal crits for 11k with a few buffs and my healing word can bring people back from almost certain death to full HP in no time.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Regen is terrible for PvE and it would still be terrible even if you buffed it by 200%.
    kweassa wrote: »
    Self-sustenance without mutual support should be made impossible no matter how high your defense/damage resistance is, left exclusively only to DCs.
    No.

I don't need another game with healer drama queens.
  • g0dfr3yg0dfr3y Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I don't need another game with healer drama queens.

Theoretically, it's possible to reduce lifesteal without making players dependent on healers, if it's done alongside other balance changes, like increasing the efficacy of the other stats. Marvel Heroes is an example of a game that nerfed lifesteal, and they did so without some of the problems posters in this thread have brought up.

They nerfed lifesteal because it made offensive specs / builds overpowered compared to defensive specs / builds. If the Neverwinter devs have the same concern, I'd suggest two changes:
    • make lifesteal a percentage of health bar, rather than damage dealt (so it synergizes with defense rather than offense)
    • give lifesteal an internal cooldown (so it does not benefit AOE more than single-target attacks)
  • burkaancburkaanc Member Posts: 2,186 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    g0dfr3y wrote: »
    [*]make lifesteal a percentage of health bar, rather than damage dealt (so it synergizes with defense rather than offense)
    [/LIST]

it would be broken in pvp imagine hr with 30% life steal and 50k hp(dunno how much hp they can get) and 60% deflect lol
    Paladin Master Race
  • magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    IWD with no LS or Regen? No thanks.

That's the only good point against this topic.

So for solo play (and extremely important, for PvP!), LS and Regen need to do their job.

They need some rebalancing for dungeons so you need Tank and Heals. Otherwise people will abuse the system and run stacked FOTM parties instead.
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That's the only good point against this topic.

So for solo play (and extremely important, for PvP!), LS and Regen need to do their job.

They need some rebalancing for dungeons so you need Tank and Heals. Otherwise people will abuse the system and run stacked FOTM parties instead.

To balance lifesteal, the best solution still would be to lower CW's (and other aoe using classe's) target caps. Because, aoe classes exclusively benefit too much from lifesteal. That way single target classes won't be screwed over just because 2% of the community think that it should require a freaking supporter (DC) for every tiny little bit of content. As for dungeons requiring a tank, it is never going to happen. I pointed out why, long ago already. Tanks slow down the rest of the party, while a conqueror is able to tank semi decent and dish out decent damage, where a tank just stands there, chilling with regeneration and zero dps/burst. Tanks were never needed in the first place and plenty of resources have been wasted on trying to turn the GF class into a brainless party buffer.

So yeah, limit aoe user's lifesteal to one target if it makes the DC's happier. Personally, i wouldnt't want to play a game where i have to have a supporter with me (DC is not a healer, btw), because i can get exactly that in every other xy-mmo out there. (but to each, their own)

• damnataanimusdamnataanimus Member Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    diogene0 wrote: »
    They can. That's what everyone was doing at launch until mod 2. Of course there were a lot of subpar clerics not doing the job well and that was a common complaint. I've tried healing spells for the lulz lately in epic shores, i've scored 900k healing, which isn't bad for a 7-8 mins instance. My bastion of heal crits for 11k with a few buffs and my healing word can bring people back from almost certain death to full HP in no time.

Are you using a pvorp? Just wondering :) My SW is temp spec, and she heals like a beast. I have gotten 72k heals with it/ My SW is rather well geared, and I have all boons done. even ToD,, so take that into account too. One thing this thread doesn't get is that clerics also basically double any healing done just by being in the group. They do not even need to heal for this happen. So, with a DC in party my 18% lifesteal is doubled to 36% lifeseal, which is again doubled to other people in party. SW + DC makes any party pretty much invulnerable xD

Basically rhough lifesteal is an integral part of the game, and there is now a class for which lifesteal is a main stat - the healing sw, though it is important for fury sws too ofc. Remove lifesteal, and you might as well remove temptation warlocks too.
    May the RNG Gods smile on you today!
    Adorable Temptress - 23.4k Temptation SW
    Mara Angelbane - 22k Thaum CW, Vaya Con Dios 15.2k Dragon CW.
    Mara Shadowskiss - 21.5k Destroyer GWF, Mara - 17.2k Sentinel GWF
    Mara Duskwalker - 15.4k Healing DC
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    Mara Spiritforge - 16.9k Tanky GF
    Bad Religion - 14.7k Pew Pew DC
    Mara Shadowstouch,Maara - TR's
    edited October 2014
    Are you using a pvorp? Just wondering :) My SW is temp spec, and she heals like a beast. I have gotten 72k heals with it/ My SW is rather well geared, and I have all boons done. even ToD,, so take that into account too. One thing this thread doesn't get is that clerics also basically double any healing done just by being in the group. They do not even need to heal for this happen. So, with a DC in party my 18% lifesteal is doubled to 36% lifeseal, which is again doubled to other people in party. SW + DC makes any party pretty much invulnerable xD

Basically rhough lifesteal is an integral part of the game, and there is now a class for which lifesteal is a main stat - the healing sw, though it is important for fury sws too ofc. Remove lifesteal, and you might as well remove temptation warlocks too.

Well that's just code so in theory anything is possible. No one said there couldn't be any special lifesteal stat/mechanics for warlocks.
    edited October 2014
    Can the DC's stop throwing tantrums? We tried to explain, even in detail why LS may be a little off the wall on "certain" (aoe using *cough,cough*) classes. You guys are getting an entire class rework and it would not surprise me, if the devs decide to get rid of righteousness, which was mainly introduced, due to people complaining about the DC not being in need of health potions as frequently as other classes and that argument is pretty much moot, by now. So 1+1 is 2, not 3. There's no need for drama 24/7, just be a little more patient.

edited October 2014
    I do have to agree. When I first started playing I was the same way on my DC - wanted partys to NEED my healing. Then I got used to playing the game as the devs have designed it - taking advantage of low potion cooldowns, LS and regen which barely does anything in pve really as my HP is usually full most of the time anyway. Theres really no need to ask for such game altering change as this would be just because you want to be needed.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
  • benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    I do have to agree. When I first started playing I was the same way on my DC - wanted partys to NEED my healing. Then I got used to playing the game as the devs have designed it - taking advantage of low potion cooldowns, LS and regen which barely does anything in pve really as my HP is usually full most of the time anyway. Theres really no need to ask for such game altering change as this would be just because you want to be needed.

I don't want them to be needed, I want them to be needed more (I mean, I don't want a party unable to do something if they are strong, but outhealing the "Healer" class?, it's ridiculous).

I get the idea, they want to make an easy dungeon for any composition and casual players and blah blah, but this is just bad... LS shouldn't be so OP...
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Can the DC's stop throwing tantrums? We tried to explain, even in detail why LS may be a little off the wall on "certain" (aoe using *cough,cough*) classes. You guys are getting an entire class rework and it would not surprise me, if the devs decide to get rid of righteousness, which was mainly introduced, due to people complaining about the DC not being in need of health potions as frequently as other classes and that argument is pretty much moot, by now. So 1+1 is 2, not 3. There's no need for drama 24/7, just be a little more patient.

The thing is that the devs keep seeming to want to do stuff to the DC that tends to shoehorn the DC into a healer role, which many parties don't need. The buff/debuff role isn't rewarded by heroic encounters because it's too hard to measure, and this has been confirmed outright. Upper tier DC gear all has healing set bonuses. The class rework is making two of the feat paths into more defined healers, also confirmed.

Cleric players want to be relevant. That doesn't necessarily mean they want people to be reliant on their heals, except that's the toolkit the devs keep trying to give them.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
    edited October 2014
    I don't want them to be needed, I want them to be needed more (I mean, I don't want a party unable to do something if they are strong, but outhealing the "Healer" class?, it's ridiculous).

I get the idea, they want to make an easy dungeon for any composition and casual players and blah blah, but this is just bad... LS shouldn't be so OP...

DC's aren't healers, they're supporters, pal. Read the entire thread btw, people explained why LS is a bit heavy on AOE using classes.

• magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    That doesn't necessarily mean they want people to be reliant on their heals, except that's the toolkit the devs keep trying to give them.

There's nothing wrong with wanting that.

I play a CW and an HR that could both solo most dungeons in the game, and I have nothing against making dungeon runs hard enough to require a healer, especially the bosses.

This can be achieved quite easily with "aura" type unavoidable damage such as Lostmauth has, it just needs to be stronger. Pulsating AoE damage without red zone telegraph each 3 secs or so, 10K+ is you're not in an Astral Shield seems fine to me.
    This would be just the start, I can imagine numerous ways to make DCs useful in dungeons, in HEALING, while also debuffing/buffing at the same time.

Some players though are just to used to their self-sufficient OP-ness.
    edited October 2014

You do realise that by you being there they get double the lifesteal heals? THAT is why they can outheal you. If you were not in party theyd heal half of that amount. A lot of people do not know that about the DC class so just thought I would mention it xD

You make all healing 50% more effect just by being there, dont even need to use the heals to do that - on my DC's I usually run w chains, divine glow and sunburst or the big nuke forget what its called, but it also puts 10% dmg buff on the mobs it hits. DC's add a LOT to a party, but I can agree that they do need stronger healing for sure.
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    edited October 2014
    There's nothing wrong with wanting that.

I play a CW and an HR that could both solo most dungeons in the game, and I have nothing against making dungeon runs hard enough to require a healer, especially the bosses.

This can be achieved quite easily with "aura" type unavoidable damage such as Lostmauth has, it just needs to be stronger. Pulsating AoE damage without red zone telegraph each 3 secs or so, 10K+ is you're not in an Astral Shield seems fine to me.
    This would be just the start, I can imagine numerous ways to make DCs useful in dungeons, in HEALING, while also debuffing/buffing at the same time.

Some players though are just to used to their self-sufficient OP-ness.

Yes exactly, DCs are currently excellent at dealing with sustained damage. Instant kills serves no purpose if you want to have a role for a buffing/healing class (mitigation counts as buffing after all). Let's take karrundax before they nerfed it, after they fixed the "pull the boss to campfire" thing. There were prones, DoTs, range attacks (why would only melees take hits). Was a cleric required? No. Did you want to bring one? Yes.

Prones were a great sweet spot for clerics because other team members couldn't drink potions or use an encounter to get at max HP. I don't know why they removed almost all the dazes and prones from the game (actually I do but it but well it's a lost cause).

To give clerics a role dungeons must have sustained damage, some spike damage, hitting melees and range players, and have many control NPCs because someone will make a mistake, get proned and will have to be kept alive until he can move again. That's why lostmauth is bad it has nothing from that list, it's just stupid instant kills or 100% safety once out of red and out of melee range.
  • benja32gonsalesbenja32gonsales Member Posts: 236 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2014
    You do realise that by you being there they get double the lifesteal heals? THAT is why they can outheal you. If you were not in party theyd heal half of that amount. A lot of people do not know that about the DC class so just thought I would mention it xD

You make all healing 50% more effect just by being there, dont even need to use the heals to do that - on my DC's I usually run w chains, divine glow and sunburst or the big nuke forget what its called, but it also puts 10% dmg buff on the mobs it hits. DC's add a LOT to a party, but I can agree that they do need stronger healing for sure.

Ok, I fail to see how is my GF able to do that...
  • fusionawesomefusionawesome Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All of a sudden there's a lot of talk about DC. DC's are wanted in groups that's not the point, the point is that there is no teamwork needed anymore. I play a lot of sot and i see the CW just run past the first mob too the second mob aggroing everything and killing everything while staying alive, the rest of the group is late to the party hits two times and on to the next mob. HR's and GWF's doing the eSOT boss solo and even got the time too type: "i got this".

When i see threads about new content being too easy that's not true. I have to you use pots now (that hasn't happened in a long time) and even die once in a while because i got 2 shot dodging the wrong way. But when i look at dps classes how they refill there health bar in one encounter they wont die. Maybe the content isn't too easy but some builds are too good.

Teamwork, that's the result that might happen when lifesteal is toned down if only a little and for a D&D game that doesn't sound too much too ask. 5 player content should require 5 players of some kind of diversity. And to be clear i am talking about the new content eSOT and eLOL, that we outgrew old content is normal.
  • xd108xxd108x Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    All of a sudden there's a lot of talk about DC. DC's are wanted in groups that's not the point, the point is that there is no teamwork needed anymore. I play a lot of sot and i see the CW just run past the first mob too the second mob aggroing everything and killing everything while staying alive, the rest of the group is late to the party hits two times and on to the next mob. HR's and GWF's doing the eSOT boss solo and even got the time too type: "i got this".

Have to agree with this, the life steal stat as it is is just part of the cause for lack of teamwork in dungeons/groups cos it lets people get away with it. Watching classes like CWs, GWFs and SWs run in ahead into enemies without a healer or tank and be able to survive + kill all the mobs is just not fun for the rest of the group who would like to be helping too. That and the excessive amounts of control that CWs can put down that allow them to attack without much fear of getting attacked back and the amount of damage SWs and CWs do at the moment :/

No need to remove it completely and I agree SWs using it for healing is fine, altho that they can out perform DCs by such a lot is a sympton of how OP the stat is. I just like balanced parties preferable with some sort of tank (either a GF or GWF) and a healer (DC or SW) where everyone can play their role.

DCs are perfectly capable of keeping a party alive without them needing life steal, but it does ofc depend on the DC player and the rest of the group, whether they understand for example how the DC heals and the best way of allowing him/her to do that in the group. I would disagree with anyone that says DCs shouldnt be a healer class first, but I do agree that they r capable of more than just that in groups as they are also probably the best at buffing the group and debuffing to some extent, tho other classes r capable of this without havin to rely on weapon enchants and a T1 armour set.
  • niteingaleniteingale Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 51 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    I really don't get all those calls for nerfs for basic PvE mechanics. I cannot understand why somebody would call for nerfs only because some classes make better use of lifesteal or regen for that matter. Yeah, I get it that some people want to stack CWs in their parties, some have something against TRs, HRs, DCs or whatever. So what? If you rely on lfg or the queue system in an mmorpg then, imho, there's something wrong with your idea of group forming not the system. Find a group of friends, a guild, join legit, or form your own groups without discrimination - problem solved. And if a CW or SW heals more than your DC on a dungeon chart then so what? does it really matter if you finish a dungeon successfully? Deal with it. I play all classes actively, and always feel I'm contributing to my group's performance even if it doesn't show in the actual charts like paingiver and I don't care because I know the mechanics of buffs/debuffs I'm giving my team when I play support. I cannot understand this nerfcalling for one or the other class and/or aspect of the game when it comes to PvE. It's just dumb in my opinion, but..well..it's just my opinion.
    edited October 2014
    DC's are drama queens. And apparently plenty of people think they are being outhealed, when they are the ones adding +50% healing to the entire party. They think that they are actual healers which isn't the case, instead of supporters to the healing abilities of other classes.

---

I can agree with AOE using classes, having a lot more benefit from lifesteal than others (single target classes) but these people, like i mentioned fail to realize that the DC is the cause for such a great amount of healing, especially when combined with a huge AOE target cap.

But these people will learn, at least someday...

• onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    CWs used to control adds. Then their control powers got nerfed and CWs were forced into being DPS monsters. Not all DCs are drama queens. DCs will evolve to fill whatever role(s) TPTB envision. Hopefully DC changes are on preview after today's patch.
    edited October 2014
    DC's are drama queens. And apparently plenty of people think they are being outhealed, when they are the ones adding +50% healing to the entire party. They think that they are actual healers which isn't the case, instead of supporters to the healing abilities of other classes.

Thanks for reading all the posts and continuing the discussion [/sarcasm]
    edited October 2014
    Thanks for reading all the posts and continuing the discussion [/sarcasm]

No problem? Serious now, what's there to discuss? People have pointed out more than once what's going on. If you are able or unable to comprehend the input, is really none of my business and up to you, as well as the other few complainers.

edited October 2014
    No problem? Serious now, what's there to discuss? People have pointed out more than once what's going on. If you are able or unable to comprehend the input, is really none of my business and up to you, as well as the other few complainers.

You are going on and on about DC's. There is no problem with DC's so why talk about it? the opening poster doesn't even have a DC.
    We are trying to have a discussion about lifesteal and whether or not it is to much in its current state. Some agree and some don't lets talk about that. The reason i said "thanks for reading" is because i am saying this now for the second time on the same page of this thread.
    edited October 2014

You are talking about righteousness which hasn't a 100% up time we have to heal before that is active. So remember the story about the CW's who walk ahead of the group and killing everything? they don't have the extra incoming healing. Remember the story about GWF's and HR's that can solo the boss? they don't have the extra incoming healing.
    edited October 2014
    People are crying about their DC since like page 2 of this thread. As is pointed out multiple times already, LS is only a bigger advantage for: "Give me an a... A!, Give me an o... O!, give me an e... E!" A O E, AOE, aoe, using classes.

I can dance the words, too if it makes you understand things easier, np.

True, maybe an internal cool-down might be enough so you cant get healing from 5 creatures in one go.
  • onecoolscatcatonecoolscatcat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2014
    Again, I have no problems with life steal as it currently stands. Lifesteal is icing on a half-baked cake. Finish the cake before worrying about icing.
    edited October 2014
    You are talking about righteousness which hasn't a 100% up time we have to heal before that is active. So remember the story about the CW's who walk ahead of the group and killing everything? they don't have the extra incoming healing. Remember the story about GWF's and HR's that can solo the boss? they don't have the extra incoming healing.

LOL and this exlains it all he doesnt even understand that reightousnous is NOT a buff. It's a debuff to heal you do to yourself, worded to sound like a BUFF so you do not complain about the fact your heals are cut by 40% when you heal yourself.

Might I suggest your read this? Its a little old but still quite relevant even now.

Kaelac’s guide to damage, tenacity, reisistance and debuffs in Neverwinter

Enjoy, and you are welcome :p
    Mara Hawkeye -14.6k HR
    edited October 2014
    LOL and this exlains it all he doesnt even understand that reightousnous is NOT a buff. It's a debuff to heal you do to yourself, worded to sound like a BUFF so you do not complain about the fact your heals are cut by 40% when you heal yourself.

Might I suggest your read this? Its a little old but still quite relevant even now.

Kaelac’s guide to damage, tenacity, reisistance and debuffs in Neverwinter

Enjoy, and you are welcome :p

Your right this explains alot :(

In the module 3 patch they changed this:
    Righteousness: This power has been reworked to now provide a healing bonus of 70% to allies. Cleric Feats and Powers now heal by about 40% less than they previously did but overall still heal allies about 10% more than they previously did.
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?635631-Curse-of-Icewind-Dale-Preview-Patch-Notes-NW-15-20140314a-5

So our heals are 100% to us and a 170% to allies.

In the link you gave Kealac used the word buff himself:"By itself it won't feel like much in combat, but with incoming healing bonuses, and DC's righteousness buff it becomes very powerful."

Might i suggest you do some reading yourself.