test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Daigotsu: Scourge Warlock Guide, by "Leeroy Jenkins" of GWF Fame... ;)

Comments

• kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    Greetings all!

While in the process of leveling up in the Undermountain campaign, I sat down recently with content creator Diamond Feather and spoke about our differing opinions on Mod 16. It's on YouTube in the form of a podcast style, so if you have the inkling to listen to 2.5 hours of me blathering on about cool stuff, please feel free to listen! ;)

va8Ru.gif
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    I levelled through on Hellbringer, but my key stats were 70k plus at level 71, so everything just dies with FB+Curse Bite.

Good luck getting rid of Crit!
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.

I levelled through on Hellbringer, but my key stats were 70k plus at level 71, so everything just dies with FB+Curse Bite.

Fiery Bolt and Cursed Bite definitely seems like a superb combination for clearing adds/normal baddies! How'd it work on bigger Elites/mini-bosses, or did you just switch to solo target like Killing Flames, etc.?

Good luck getting rid of Crit!

By this do you mean good luck getting rid of it in general? Ex. It's hard to find any Gear/Enchants w/o it?

va8Ru.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 117 Arc User
    Hmmm, how does the drain on Vampiric embrace work now? I was thinking it triggers if you apply lesser curse, but in practice it doesn't actually seem to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Hmmm, how does the drain on Vampiric embrace work now? I was thinking it triggers if you apply lesser curse, but in practice it doesn't actually seem to.

I honestly haven't messed around with Vampirc Embrace for over month, back into early/mid March... I can try to do some testing over the weekend though! :)

If anyone else has insight, please feel free to share, thanks!
    va8Ru.gif
  • vorphiedvorphied Member Posts: 1,870 Arc User

I honestly haven't messed around with Vampirc Embrace for over month, back into early/mid March... I can try to do some testing over the weekend though! :)

The power is still pretty pointless. There are better options for damage, and using it for healing shouldn't be necessary. If sustain is a concern, there are a couple of mount insignia bonuses and a handy Bloodtheft armor enchantment that are enough to improve quality of life.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

vorphied said:

The power is still pretty pointless. There are better options for damage, and using it for healing shouldn't be necessary. If sustain is a concern, there are a couple of mount insignia bonuses and a handy Bloodtheft armor enchantment that are enough to improve quality of life.
    I actually used it more as a pre-damage mitigation. I used to be able to get it to give me temp HP equal to a tenth or a quarter of my HP meter, now it doesn't seem to do that at all.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

vorphied said:

I actually used it more as a pre-damage mitigation. I used to be able to get it to give me temp HP equal to a tenth or a quarter of my HP meter, now it doesn't seem to do that at all.
    I'd suggest using the Barbarian's and Survivor's mount bonuses instead and relying on the tried-and-true method of killing things as quickly as possible in order to mitigate damage. If you just like using VE as personal choice, that's one thing, but it doesn't really do much good from a pure game mechanics standpoint even when it works as expected.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

Before it was giving me large magnitude enough heal to recover a large chunk of my HP meter while also giving me a nice chunk of temp HP... oh yeah... I made a youtube of myself doing a Foundry. Oh I only uploaded part one... Enh it should demonstrate adequately. Build advice is of course welcome. I know enough about Neverwinter to know my build is probably bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6cV5xpkK4
    The fighting starts around 4:20
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Before it was giving me large magnitude enough heal to recover a large chunk of my HP meter while also giving me a nice chunk of temp HP... oh yeah... I made a youtube of myself doing a Foundry. Oh I only uploaded part one... Enh it should demonstrate adequately. Build advice is of course welcome. I know enough about Neverwinter to know my build is probably bad.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ya6cV5xpkK4
    The fighting starts around 4:20

I'm not going to go around calling people bad for playing with powers they enjoy, but if you are looking at it from the perspective of pure efficiency, there are some things you could do differently if you wanted to...

- Avoid using single-target powers in AoE. CB, HFR, and FB are all perfectly viable. FB has fairly poor damage and could probably stand another pass, but its main value is as another low-CD method for quickly applying Lesser Curse to a mob group, setting up another activation of Curse Bite.

- Following from above, Killing Flames is best used for attacking a single target, especially now that there is no Murderous Flames feat giving consolation prize damage on groups.

- I haven't played that much with Blades of Vanquished Armies in M16, but the fact that its damage comes in low ticks over time is an issue compounded by its reactivation cooldown not starting until the initial duration is over. On top of that, it's a Curse Synergy power, making it incapable of applying Lesser Curse to set up Curse Bite. TL;DR: I don't like it right now.

Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

I just realized that video used a different build than what I currently have. I was mainly using it as an example of how I was using Vampiric Embrace. I stopped using Killing Flames when I realized just how rarely I was able to actually kill things with it, thus summoning a puppet.

Warlock - Hellbringer
    At-Will: Eldritch Blast, Dark Spiral Aura
    Encounter: Arms of Hadar, Blades of Vanquished Armies, Vampiric Embrace
    Daily: Brood of Hadar, Gates of Hell
    Class Feature: Shadow Walk, All-Consuming Curse
    Feat: Double Scorch, Warlock's Curse, Soul Desecration, Creeping Death
    Boons: Critical Strike+3

Not sure if this setup is good. BladesoVA is a bit odd in that it has a dual purpose and is hard to make it do both at once unless you're fighting a small army. I often use it to kill small enemies who are trying to melee me while I focus on a bigger enemy. The secondary bonus is +5000 Deflect. Thus the blades sometimes
    reduce damage taken.

Dark Spiral Aura, I seem to remember Dark Spirals as providing some sort of defense buff.

After more testing today Vampiric embrace does sometimes work, but seems to get scaled down to nearly nothing sometimes.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2019

I just realized that video used a different build than what I currently have. I was mainly using it as an example of how I was using Vampiric Embrace. I stopped using Killing Flames when I realized just how rarely I was able to actually kill things with it, thus summoning a puppet.

Warlock - Hellbringer
    At-Will: Eldritch Blast, Dark Spiral Aura
    Encounter: Arms of Hadar, Blades of Vanquished Armies, Vampiric Embrace
    Daily: Brood of Hadar, Gates of Hell
    Class Feature: Shadow Walk, All-Consuming Curse
    Feat: Double Scorch, Warlock's Curse, Soul Desecration, Creeping Death
    Boons: Critical Strike+3

Not sure if this setup is good. BladesoVA is a bit odd in that it has a dual purpose and is hard to make it do both at once unless you're fighting a small army. I often use it to kill small enemies who are trying to melee me while I focus on a bigger enemy. The secondary bonus is +5000 Deflect. Thus the blades sometimes
    reduce damage taken.

Dark Spiral Aura, I seem to remember Dark Spirals as providing some sort of defense buff.

After more testing today Vampiric embrace does sometimes work, but seems to get scaled down to nearly nothing sometimes.

Going to quote myself from the other thread since it's the same kind of topic:
    vorphied said:

tazz4now said:

@vorphied on my

Hellbringer build.....
    at-will = eldritch blast, hellish rebuke,
    encounter = killing flames, fiery bolt, internal flames
    daily = tyrannical curse, accursed souls
    class feature = no pity, no mercy & flames of empowerment

Soulweaver build......
    at-will = eldritch blast, essence defiler
    encounter = killing flames, dreadtheft, pillar of power
    daily = tyrannical curse, accursed souls
    class feature = all-consuming curse, prince of hell

I have tried the other powers and didn't seem to have much luck with mobs, dreadtheft doesn't seem to do much of anything, if you have any suggestions I am open to trying them, this character is my #2 main and I have a lot of old content to finish with it but since the newer quests are easier than the older ones I was hoping to get it to at least lvl 80 and finish the undermountain stuff, thank you for any help :)

Edit:

I mainly solo and do not run dungeons, but I do he's and help people or accept help, in game, as much as possible

Some ideas for you based on what has worked for me for Hellbringer AoE specifically:

At-Wills: Hellish Rebuke as your go-to, Dark Spiral Charge as your secondary. When you're solo, you have to give yourself combat advantage with No Pity No Mercy, so you can effectively use Hellish Rebuke as filler to build sparks, then Dark Spiral Charge periodically after mob kills since the potency is quite high when it's properly loaded.

Encounters: Curse Bite, Hellfire Ring, Fiery Bolt. Killing Flames is a single-target power, so you only want it when you know you're facing a boss and not having to deal with significant adds. Your rotation will look like casting Fiery Bolt or Hellfire Ring at the start (obviously Fiery Bolt first if you're pulling them to your position), Curse Bite, then the other encounter to reapply Lesser Curse, then Curse Bite.

Dailies: Your Dailies look fine. I'm not sure whether the math favors Brood or Tyrannical for single target, but Accursed is definitely the strongest AoE.

Class Features: I'd keep NPNM but drop Flames of Empowerment for All-Consuming Curse. In theoryland we shouldn't NEED All-Consuming Curse, but it's immensely helpful to keeping the gameplay smooth.

I'd also make sure to have the Parting Blasphemy feat selected since you'll constantly be removing and reapplying Lesser Curse.

I've played less with Soulweaver, but thus far I like...

At-Wills: Essence Defiler, Dark Spiral Charge
    Encounters: Curse Bite, *take your pick of situationally appropriate power*, Harrowstorm. Harrowstorm is really good, and its effects stack if you overlap casts.
    Dailies: As above
    Class Feature: All-Consuming Curse and whatever you want (personally I like Shadow Walk and Borrowed Time)

EDIT: I can't stress enough that Curse Bite is REALLY good. I don't think Warlock works properly without it tbh.

EDIT-EDIT: Also don't forget about Soul Scorch in Hellbringer. It radiates a minor DoT on all secondary targets in addition to its damage on the primary target, but it also reduces your active cooldowns with one of the final feat options. For Soulweaver, I really like the early feat that converts Essence Drain into a 15-second CD dps/healing AoE that replenishes sparks with a single cast.

Post edited by vorphied on
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

I guess I'll try using Hellish Rebuke, Curse Bite, Hellfire Ring, and Fiery Bolt then. I've not really used them much.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Well, no gear change, but I swapped Eldritch Blast for Hellish Rebuke, Arms of Hadar for Curse Bite, and Blades of Vanquished Armies for Fiery Bolt. Results are... mixed. I feel more squishy somehow, but my DPS seems to have gone up a lot.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

Well, no gear change, but I swapped Eldritch Blast for Hellish Rebuke, Arms of Hadar for Curse Bite, and Blades of Vanquished Armies for Fiery Bolt. Results are... mixed. I feel more squishy somehow, but my DPS seems to have gone up a lot.

You might be feeling squishy because your best DPS in AoE is going to be in the middle of a mob pack instead of kiting them, and you'll be trying to keep them inside the HFR DoT as well. If you feel that added survivability is more important to your character right now than outright damage, you can try swapping Arms of Hadar back in for its CC and sacrificing Hellfire Ring instead.

Some things you choose from to help with solo quality of life if you haven't already:

- Barbarian's Revelry mount insignia bonus
    - Survivor's Blessing mount insignia bonus
    - Champion's Return mount insignia bonus
    - Redemption companion special power
    - Bloodtheft armor enchantment

There are a couple more healing mount bonuses out there, but you get the idea. Personally I use Barbarian's Revelry, Survivor's Blessing, and a Bloodtheft enchant. You can adjust the type and quantity of your passive healing powers based on how much healing you feel that you need and which bonuses are available to your character through companions and mounts.

Also, I think the internal cooldown on Shadowslip's 1 second of initial damage immunity is every 3(?) seconds, so you can tap it occasionally to gain immune frames and take less overall damage as you're dealing with mob groups.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

vorphied said:

Some things you choose from to help with solo quality of life if you haven't already:

- Barbarian's Revelry mount insignia bonus
    - Survivor's Blessing mount insignia bonus
    - Champion's Return mount insignia bonus

These are super good IMO, and you should look into them. I wouldn't really, and have not, use(d) any 'Offensive' oriented Mount Insignia Bonuses as none stood out to me as being better than the utility/healing ones. Surviving, particularly solo, and if you get caught out in a dungeon is paramount IMO. Just some personal experience/opinion here... :)

va8Ru.gif
    how much does +5000 deflect actually help anyways? I'm not 100% sure how that stat works so I don't really know if it was useful.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing

how much does +5000 deflect actually help anyways? I'm not 100% sure how that stat works so I don't really know if it was useful.

It doesn't...much. Technically you could be gaining a small amount of deflect chance vs. the enemies' accuracy stat if you weren't already capped, but 5k isn't going to make or break your experience.

You'll sustain better by killing enemies faster and supporting yourself with some supplemental passive healing than you will by trying to fluff up your deflect rating with sub-par encounter power.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

My current Mount/Insignia Bonuses are, for both DPS and Healing, as follows:

Barbarian's Revelry
    Champions Return
    Gladiator's Guile
    Knights' Rebuke
    Oppressor's Reprieve
    va8Ru.gif
    Well, I looked at the mounts I have, and tinkered with their insignias so that I now have:
    Champion's Struggle
    Knight's Defense
    Survivor's gift
    Knight's rebuke
    Survivor's blessing
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited May 2019

My current Mount/Insignia Bonuses are, for both DPS and Healing, as follows:

Barbarian's Revelry
    Champions Return
    Gladiator's Guile
    Knights' Rebuke
    Oppressor's Reprieve

My list is similar, though I've made some changes recently. I'm now running Barbarian's Revelry, Oppressor's Reprieve, and Survivor's Blessing with Gladiator's Guile and now Knight's Rebuke.

Knight's Rebuke I was about to pooh-pooh, but I realized that I really don't have much better to use, so why not?

Champion's Return I don't like much because my HP have to dip hugely for it to do anything, and then it has a long CD before it can reactivate. If my sustain strategy is working properly, my HP will never drop that far outside of a dungeon setting, in which case an additional, small stream of healing will probably not win out vs. the kind of damage that made my bar actually move. Survivor's Blessing is much better for consistent sustain even without hitting the Deflect cap.

Oppressor's Reprieve procs much more often than I would have imagined. I forgot just how many mobs use skills that push us around, and that alone is enough to proc the bonus.

I've dropped Bloodtheft in favor of the marginal benefit of Thunderhead because the insignia bonuses are enough at this point.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

Well, I looked at the mounts I have, and tinkered with their insignias so that I now have:
    Champion's Struggle
    Knight's Defense
    Survivor's gift
    Knight's rebuke
    Survivor's blessing

You 100% want Gladiator's Guile in their somewhere... The movement buff and stamina assistance is really, really good, IMO. :)
    va8Ru.gif
    vorphied said:

I've dropped Bloodtheft in favor of the marginal benefit of Thunderhead because the insignia bonuses are enough at this point.

I'd suggest trying out Barkshield, I've been using it and it's been damn fine so far!
    va8Ru.gif
    > @kolatmaster said:
    > I've dropped Bloodtheft in favor of the marginal benefit of Thunderhead because the insignia bonuses are enough at this point.
    >
    > I'd suggest trying out Barkshield, I've been using it and it's been damn fine so far!

I agree that Barkshield is great, and I use it for other characters, but my Warlock has a high HP pool and multiple sustain bonuses, so it would only be of help against something like a dungeon boss that wanted to smack him around. That’s why I’m going for other options.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

vorphied said:

> @kolatmaster said:
    > I've dropped Bloodtheft in favor of the marginal benefit of Thunderhead because the insignia bonuses are enough at this point.
    > I'd suggest trying out Barkshield, I've been using it and it's been damn fine so far!

I agree that Barkshield is great, and I use it for other characters, but my Warlock has a high HP pool and multiple sustain bonuses, so it would only be of help against something like a dungeon boss that wanted to smack him around. That’s why I’m going for other options.

I'm using a shadowclad because someone gave me one. Not sure if you'd consider it good.

Champion's Struggle
    Knight's Defense
    Survivor's gift
    Knight's rebuke
    Survivor's blessing

You 100% want Gladiator's Guile in their somewhere... The movement buff and stamina assistance is really, really good, IMO. :)
    I don't think any of my mounts have that one. :/ what mounts do?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • chimeraxchimerax Member Posts: 204 Arc User

vorphied said:

> @kolatmaster said:

I'm using a shadowclad because someone gave me one. Not sure if you'd consider it good.

Champion's Struggle
    Knight's Defense
    Survivor's gift
    Knight's rebuke
    Survivor's blessing

I don't think any of my mounts have that one. :/ what mounts do?
    Try https://two30.github.io/neverwinter-insignia/
    vorphied said:

That's fair, no worries at all... :)

If you find a different Armor Enchantment that's solid, please feel free to share your experiences!
    va8Ru.gif
    > @kolatmaster said:
    > I agree that Barkshield is great, and I use it for other characters, but my Warlock has a high HP pool and multiple sustain bonuses, so it would only be of help against something like a dungeon boss that wanted to smack him around. That’s why I’m going for other options.
    >
    > That's fair, no worries at all... :)
    >
    > If you find a different Armor Enchantment that's solid, please feel free to share your experiences!

Thunderhead is entertaining as a luxury enchantment. The stun is brief, but noticeable, and it adds a small amount of damage when you’re taking hits.

Elven Battle is still solid; my only complaint is that it’s useless against prone effects.

I would still totally recommend Barkshield or Bloodtheft in general, but they become less valuable when you stop needing the extra mitigation or healing. Having a Barkshield in reserve is still a great idea for certain boss encounters, especially if you find yourself ripping aggro from the tank.
    Sacrilege - Warlock
    Contagion - Cleric
    Testament - Wizard
    Pestilence - Ranger
    Dominion - Paladin

NIGHTSWATCH

So what do you think of Shadowclad?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    > @kolatmaster said:
    > I levelled through on Hellbringer, but my key stats were 70k plus at level 71, so everything just dies with FB+Curse Bite.
    >
    >
    > Fiery Bolt and Cursed Bite definitely seems like a superb combination for clearing adds/normal baddies! How'd it work on bigger Elites/mini-bosses, or did you just switch to solo target like Killing Flames, etc.?

Working from 70-80 I basically only swapped in single target for Arcturia and the 2 bosses in Waning Darkness. For those I used FB (for curse), KF, Hadar’s.

>Good luck getting rid of Crit!
    >
    > By this do you mean good luck getting rid of it in general? Ex. It's hard to find any Gear/Enchants w/o it?

I mean that at 80, I have 90k Crit and I’m not trying to get it, but remain short on Combat Advantage.

——

On the subject of Vampiric Embrace it’s worth noting that it’s magnitude is higher than HG, so from a raw damage perspective it is a harder hitting.

——
    I have also ended up with 2 sets of gear; Hag’s, Jawrippers & Willed for groups and an 950 set for doing stuff solo. (The extra hp and defence makes life easier when doing 1 Rune MEs.)
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.