test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Daigotsu: Scourge Warlock Guide, by "Leeroy Jenkins" of GWF Fame... ;)

Comments

• Options
    kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    silence1x wrote: »
    That's a bummer that Terror doesn't proc Creeping Death (anyone else think of Metallica when they hear that?). Terror is all that I have on my SW, no AD right now for anything else (Fury build).
    Yea, I would have liked that also, just to make it a viable alternative to Perfect Vorpal, but that's the way the cookie crumbles... :)

I would say don't put any points in this at all. It is currently bugged and the damage is horribly inconsistent.
    It may be inconsistent, but I've still found it to me decent damage when it procs correctly and I don't see anything else doing as much damage as it currently is... If you have a suggestion feel free to share it though! :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    truescramblestruescrambles Member Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Anything. Literally anything is better than a bugged feat that only does 1.5% extra damage. The few times it does decide to work properly, however, is great. But it's too unreliable at the moment.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Anything. Literally anything is better than a bugged feat that only does 1.5% extra damage. The few times it does decide to work properly, however, is great. But it's too unreliable at the moment.
    Honestly, not much else (other feat) will do even that amount of damage... Take for example Daughter's Promise, with a friend running a number of PARsing/ACT it came out at .5% damage during runs. Honestly Murderous Flames, comparatively to what I know, is the best option even if bugged. Now, if you have evidence showing another feat doing more damage I'd be happy to consider it! :cool:
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    veshorokveshorok Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited September 2014
    as i read somewhere Wild Hunt Rider doesn't proc that much comparing to cw's for example. tho i've noticed popping 'Wild Hunt' notification quite often during my runs. Can anyone confirm if it's 'must have' active bonus or it can be successfully switched by +2 AP gain/+5 dmg to foes below 30% etc?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    veshorok wrote: »
    as i read somewhere Wild Hunt Rider doesn't proc that much comparing to cw's for example. tho i've noticed popping 'Wild Hunt' notification quite often during my runs. Can anyone confirm if it's 'must have' active bonus or it can be successfully switched by +2 AP gain/+5 dmg to foes below 30% etc?
    I'm sure it doesn't proc as much as a CW, they simply have more AoE then SWs... However I believe it procs enough to be good for us. I've been running it and have enjoyed it's results a lot. :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I'm sure it doesn't proc as much as a CW, they simply have more AoE then SWs... However I believe it procs enough to be good for us. I've been running it and have enjoyed it's results a lot. :)

Same here. As long as you get a big pack of mobs under your DT crosshairs it has a good chance to proc.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Same here. As long as you get a big pack of mobs under your DT crosshairs it has a good chance to proc.
    Yep! Definitely recommend it. :)

Seems like it procs very often off of Dreadtheft, and respectively off of others.
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Updated Post #5 w/this my friends...

<image removed>

Greetings all! :cool:

I just wanted to chime in with some updated strategy from the Warlock – Fury spec perspective…
    I’ve been consistently out DPSing all comers in DDs so far. The combination of being to initiate from a distance, keeping Tyrannical Threat up often, maxing DPS options (Crit Severity Companions, DC Artifact, etc), and most of all positioning for powers, have made it possible.

Now I’ll readily admit I am pretty darn well geared, and should be fairly well maxed out after the 2x Refinement Weekend. However I believe the positioning and use of Encounters is a key component of how a player can maximize their DPS in this build. The general rotation to initiate combat, for me, has been if Tyrannical is available to lead off by tagging the biggest baddie in the room, then following with Warlock’s Bargain, Killing Flames, and then Dreadtheft. Now, I do realize that Killing Flames doesn't do max damage when a baddie is at near full health, however it still does respectable damage. Plus the cool down on Warlock’s Bargain is 11.3 Seconds, and Killing Flames is 10.3 Seconds currently for me. Thus I only have to wait a few seconds once Dreadtheft is done to start nuking again.

Dreadtheft is our bread and butter Encounter Power where a great deal of our damage, and stacks of Creeping Death, occur. So positioning it on the biggest baddie and the one who will arguably live the longest, is paramount to maximizing the carnage you create. Then comes the moving around… Very rarely will I stand still and Dreadtheft, or stand still at any point really. Major reasoning for that is that Warlocks are easy to CC by PvE baddies or PvP enemies, thus keeping your feet moving is important to staying alive. Also it allows you to angle your Dreadtheft, and other Encounters, as necessary. You should practice on the target dummies, or on groups of adds (I’d suggest the Dread Ring for that as geographically is pretty open, but has other enemies you have to be aware of), by rotating both left and right in large circles around them. Practice cutting back and forth a bit also. What this will do is give you the experience in watching the baddies to see where they are moving so you can maximize targets. It will also keep you from falling into red circles/zones to avoid damage/CC. Over all it will just make you a better player, which is why I recommend trying it out!

Also for the use of Shadow Slipping, that is basically your get out of jail free card… I use it in more of a short burst mode, trying to angle to just outside dangerous areas. Every moment you’re Shadow Slipping you are not doing damage. Thus you want to minimize it as much as possible, while also being able to save a large burst of it in case things get FUBAR’d… ;)

I’ve also been starting to test the build in PvP a bit, and yes I am going in as a ‘Glass Cannon – Range DPS – Support Mode’, and I’ll have further information on that in the coming days/week.

Keep on rocking guys and gals!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    I really appreciate the ongoing dialogue in this thread. Thanks to all, especially @kolatmaster, for keeping this thread relevant and timely. I'm not a min/max kinda guy but I do like to research feats/gear/companions before I make a decision on how to melt faces :D

Please keep this going!
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    fadorlafadorla Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    If I am just starting my SW, what Ability Scores are best in slot? And do they matter a ton on what your total damage is at 60? Looking to play Fury for the most part and I am a Tiefling.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    I really appreciate the ongoing dialogue in this thread. Thanks to all, especially @kolatmaster, for keeping this thread relevant and timely. I'm not a min/max kinda guy but I do like to research feats/gear/companions before I make a decision on how to melt faces :D
    Even if your not a min/max guy, I'm definitely trying to keep the flow of information going with my play style and overall experiences with the Fury - Scourge Warlock... Which I think is important for my growth as a player, and hopefully for the community at large also! I am a min/max kind of guy, and I do have some pretty smoking gear, however I want this thread/discussion to be welcoming and inclusive to all levels of play. :D
    Please keep this going!
    I will bud, don't you worry! lol

fadorla wrote: »
    If I am just starting my SW, what Ability Scores are best in slot? And do they matter a ton on what your total damage is at 60? Looking to play Fury for the most part and I am a Tiefling.
    I started out, with a Tiefling, with: 16 Con/16 Cha/12 Int and 10s in everything else... At the end I am at: 24 Con/24 Cha/14 Int and 12s in everything else.

Once you're able to hit 25% ArmPen when including your 4% Resistance Ignored from the 14 Int, then Con/Cha should be your high scores for the build I am proposing in this thread... :cool:

Hope that helps a bit!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Even if your not a min/max guy, I'm definitely trying to keep the flow of information going with my play style and overall experiences with the Fury - Scourge Warlock... Which I think is important for my growth as a player, and hopefully for the community at large also! I am a min/max kind of guy, and I do have some pretty smoking gear, however I want this thread/discussion to be welcoming and inclusive to all levels of play. :D

I will bud, don't you worry! lol

I started out, with a Tiefling, with: 16 Con/16 Cha/12 Int and 10s in everything else... At the end I am at: 24 Con/24 Cha/14 Int and 12s in everything else.

Once you're able to hit 25% ArmPen when including your 4% Resistance Ignored from the 14 Int, then Con/Cha should be your high scores for the build I am proposing in this thread... :cool:

Hope that helps a bit!
    Honestly I think this is good advice for any SW for ability rolls, I've played around with fury and temptation and both benefit greatly from this ability set up.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So once I get the ArmPen I'll have to buy a token to reroll my scores?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    So once I get the ArmPen I'll have to buy a token to reroll my scores?

No. Why would you do that?
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Maybe I don't understand how Neverwinter's version of minmaxing works. :D I main a Warlock in WoW so I'm applying the same the rules to this game. :D
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Maybe I don't understand how Neverwinter's version of minmaxing works. :D I main a Warlock in WoW so I'm applying the same the rules to this game. :D

Ok let me do a walk thru on Stat rolls hopefully that will help.

You in general on most classes have 3 stats that help you 1 main and 2 minor. For SW the main stat is Cha and the two secondaries are con and int. Now this is a little different from the rest of the classes as most dd's the main stat is their damage stat but it's not in this case. However it still works. You can't when rolling get a secondary value to roll higher than your main stat though you can equal it. This means that you can get a roll of 16/16/12 which is what is recommended by both me and the op for starting an SW. You then apply your racial bonuses to this. For the op who rolled a tiefling that is +2con and +2cha, which lets him start at 18cha 18con 12int. I went human and was only able to pick one stat for this which I picked con so I started 16ch 18con 12int.

Now as you level up you add to your stat points 6 times. 2 of those times 1 point will be added to each stat. 4 of those times you get to pick two stats to put one point in. This means that the op ended up with 24cha 24con 14int.

Now on to the Armor pen. You get 1% resistance ignored for each point above 10 your int is as a SW. This means that at 14int you ignore 4% of your opponents armor. This stacks with the amount of resistance ignored your armor penetration rating gives you. The goal being to stop stacking arp at 24% which is the highest amount a level 60 enemy will have. You don't need to change your stat rolls when you hit this point, you just stop adding arp to your gear with dark enchantments etc.

Now the only thing that is up in the air about this is that some people will stop stacking arp a little sooner. For example I stop once my base stat + arp rating gives me 22% because I can get the remaining 2% from the campfire buff and the stat potion from the sharandar campaign. Both are probably equally valid thought processes.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Ok let me do a walk thru on Stat rolls hopefully that will help.

You in general on most classes have 3 stats that help you 1 main and 2 minor. For SW the main stat is Cha and the two secondaries are con and int. Now this is a little different from the rest of the classes as most dd's the main stat is their damage stat but it's not in this case. However it still works. You can't when rolling get a secondary value to roll higher than your main stat though you can equal it. This means that you can get a roll of 16/16/12 which is what is recommended by both me and the op for starting an SW. You then apply your racial bonuses to this. For the op who rolled a tiefling that is +2con and +2cha, which lets him start at 18cha 18con 12int. I went human and was only able to pick one stat for this which I picked con so I started 16ch 18con 12int.

Now as you level up you add to your stat points 6 times. 2 of those times 1 point will be added to each stat. 4 of those times you get to pick two stats to put one point in. This means that the op ended up with 24cha 24con 14int.

Now on to the Armor pen. You get 1% resistance ignored for each point above 10 your int is as a SW. This means that at 14int you ignore 4% of your opponents armor. This stacks with the amount of resistance ignored your armor penetration rating gives you. The goal being to stop stacking arp at 24% which is the highest amount a level 60 enemy will have. You don't need to change your stat rolls when you hit this point, you just stop adding arp to your gear with dark enchantments etc.

Now the only thing that is up in the air about this is that some people will stop stacking arp a little sooner. For example I stop once my base stat + arp rating gives me 22% because I can get the remaining 2% from the campfire buff and the stat potion from the sharandar campaign. Both are probably equally valid thought processes.

Okay, so do the ability scores that the OP chose is best in slot? I don't wanna have to reroll if I test something different. :D
  • Options
    twilightwatchmantwilightwatchman Member Posts: 2,007 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Okay, so do the ability scores that the OP chose is best in slot? I don't wanna have to reroll if I test something different. :D
    The jury is still somewhat out on the BiS ability rolls as SW is still so new. The rolls outlined here are probably BiS for Fury but Damnation and Temptation benefit from a slightly more balanced spread IMO. I went Human and with campfire bonuses added ai have 23 Con and 20 Int/Cha. I lose a little Crit, flat DPS, and a handful of HP but I gain Recharge, AP generation, and ArP. Works for me.

SW is actually quite forgiving on stat distribution as long as you have a high Con for base DPS and a large HP pool.
    Jenna Sunsoul - Justice Tankadin
    Aelar Hawkwind - Archer
    Karrin Feywinter - Mistress of Flame
    Errin Duskwalker - Executioner
    Darquess - Soulbinder
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Well short update, first try at the Artifact Weapon and I snagged the Hand of Blight one: Golden Dragon's Pride

Which I think is a superb one for PvP, still looking to get the Dark Spiral one... :)
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    masterjewstarmasterjewstar Member Posts: 563
    edited September 2014
    Excuse me, I thought I'd chime in; killing flames is fire damage not necrotic so it doesn't trigger the necrotic capstone not trying to flame or anything just trying to keep it correct.

I've been using the infernal spheres, curse bite, and dread theft encounters with deadly curse and flames of empowerment; tyrannical threat/accursed souls and flames of phlethagos (or however its spelled) was wondering what you thought of that.

My deadly curse has hit 5k with help of a cleric's hallowed ground.

I use spheres to spread lesser curses and then add warlock curses to enemies unaffected by the lesser and use cursebite as its necrotic to target up to 6 enemies with it then drain them all with dread theft as both curses can be consumed to intensify the beam I also have been using these abilities because they have very low cooldowns. I'm at 10.9k and I've made top scorer in every dungeon and skirmish I've been in.

Instead of spheres; for boss fights I use killing flames because I feel that's when its really needed.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Excuse me, I thought I'd chime in; killing flames is fire damage not necrotic so it doesn't trigger the necrotic capstone not trying to flame or anything just trying to keep it correct.

I've been using the infernal spheres, curse bite, and dread theft encounters with deadly curse and flames of empowerment; tyrannical threat/accursed souls and flames of phlethagos (or however its spelled) was wondering what you thought of that.

I use spheres to spread lesser curses and then add warlock curses to enemies unaffected by the lesser and use cursebite as its necrotic to target up to 6 enemies with it then drain them all with dread theft as both curses can be consumed to intensify the beam I also have been using these abilities because they have very low cooldowns. I'm at 10.9k and I've made top scorer in every dungeon and skirmish I've been in.

Instead of spheres; for boss fights I use killing flames because I feel that's when its really needed.

Not using Warlocks bargain with dreadtheft really hurts especially if you are fury. Even without fury you miss out on a very large defense buff.
  • Options
    championshewolfchampionshewolf Member Posts: 601 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Not using Warlocks bargain with dreadtheft really hurts especially if you are fury. Even without fury you miss out on a very large defense buff.

Defense? hehe you need to try for the fact that warlock's bargain ranks Dreadtheft to its top tier power almost instantly because it's an undispellable curse.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Yes, but it would only intensify for that person wouldn't it? This ensures multiple people or the same target get more debuffs and damage increases from dread theft warlocks bargain is a good skill i have it. I also get up to 7 tiers of power from the curses as well. I rarely get hit by damage that matters because I'm always moving and if i am about to take damage ill just dash if i get hit its reduced; maybe a few non elites can catch me but i never stop moving unless im using curse bite or a daily so I don't need extra defense.

plus tyrannical threat already does this for me.

and the spheres let me cast while dashing and attack while attacking another target each one hits around 1-2k*5,6,7 so 6-14k potential damage spread.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Defense? hehe you need to try for the fact that warlock's bargain ranks Dreadtheft to its top tier power almost instantly because it's an undispellable curse.
    Yes, but it would only intensify for that person wouldn't it? This ensures multiple people or the same target get more debuffs and damage increases from dread theft warlocks bargain is a good skill i have it. I also get up to 7 tiers of power from the curses as well. I rarely get hit by damage that matters because I'm always moving and if i am about to take damage ill just dash if i get hit its reduced; maybe a few non elites can catch me but i never stop moving unless im using curse bite or a daily so I don't need extra defense.

plus tyrannical threat already does this for me.

and the spheres let me cast while dashing and attack while attacking another target each one hits around 1-2k*5,6,7 so 6-14k potential damage spread.

B9gQBqy.png

Ok so first of all the damage taken debuff on that target, not a big deal as a regular curse does that.

Then the defense buff for you. Warlocks Bargain is undispellable so you get 5 stacks almost instantly. (With this up, I can actually eat a both drakes dead epic dancing flame, still not a good idea but.....)

Then for fury as mentioned, they really need to be using it. Since the OP is all about the Fury build that means this is really important. lets look at the feat here.
    Creeping_Death.jpg?version=a89f4bf0976a298d8e1b8827390f0357
    This means that you double the damage of dreadtheft on that target.

This is pretty much the single best power combo you can do, arguably on any flavor of SW but definitely for a Fury build. As far as getting the same effect from TT, yes but TT isn't up enough to do what needs to be done.
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    yes I'm aware and I am agreeing with that; but i am saying that infernal sphere does the same thing for more targets because it keeps adding and removing stacks and is available every 6 seconds dread also lasts 6 seconds as well. It is better than bargain damage-wise and it will allow curse bite to hit 6 targets which works with it, cant do that with bargain as it is a warlock curse and i am a fury lock.

bargain is better for a boss fight.

i also just 4 manned FH with no tanklike character; with me drawing aggro i don't need defense because i have knowledge and even then i still get those stacks of dread anyway as it says curse not warlock curse and the curses are added as im casting it.

and again i only use it on mobs boss fights i run something else.
  • Options
    oreonmilkoreonmilk Member Posts: 39
    edited September 2014

Thats a nice and refreshing encounter setup for a Fury :cool: .. After reading this I only realized my mistake in thinking cursebite is a single target encounter! but boy, its a multiple target encounter.. this just opens up more various encounter setup for Fury. Btw, 6 is the maxcap of cursebite?

Anyway, I love the idea of spreading lesser curse and then cursebiting them during ads phase. But I still think the by slotting the spheres encounter makes us lose quite a chunky burst dmg potential of other encounters (fiery bolt/killingflame)..
    I'll definitely give this a try though.. and I wonder if I put 5/5 Relentless Curse from Damnation path would be able to spread lesser curses on ads fast enough, that I dont need to use spheres encounter..
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Quick Update: I opened the Dark Spiral Artifact Weapon today... Yay me! :D

So I will be maxing that out over the Double Refinement weekend coming up, and I'll let you all know how the Hubris of the Golden Dragon works out for me!
    va8Ru.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    oreonmilk wrote: »
    Thats a nice and refreshing encounter setup for a Fury :cool: .. After reading this I only realized my mistake in thinking cursebite is a single target encounter! but boy, its a multiple target encounter.. this just opens up more various encounter setup for Fury. Btw, 6 is the maxcap of cursebite?

Anyway, I love the idea of spreading lesser curse and then cursebiting them during ads phase. But I still think the by slotting the spheres encounter makes us lose quite a chunky burst dmg potential of other encounters (fiery bolt/killingflame)..
    I'll definitely give this a try though.. and I wonder if I put 5/5 Relentless Curse from Damnation path would be able to spread lesser curses on ads fast enough, that I dont need to use spheres encounter..

i am also using that but that only works if a cursed target dies and if you are using dread theft it doesn't work i just find it easier to use the spheres. 6 for curse bite is the max only because its 3 warlock curse 3 lesser curses max great thing about cursebite is it is a necrotic damager and it only hits cursed targets so its good for the capstone.
  • Options
    korpakukac1korpakukac1 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    edited September 2014
    Is it worth putting the points on Int instead of Cha? I am at lvl20 and put te points on Con&Cha so far
  • Options
    edited September 2014
    Is it worth putting the points on Int instead of Cha? I am at lvl20 and put te points on Con&Cha so far
    It can be, particularly if you don't think you'll be able to max out ArmPen to 24% relatively shortly once you hit Level 60. If that's the case raising Int to compensate for lack of ArmPen is perfectly viable, in fact I did so until I hit ArmPen on my gear and boons. Then as my Gear and Boons improved I respect'd once or twice to lower my Int.

Currently I ended up where I wanted at: 24 Con, 24 Cha, 14 Int, 12 in the rest. :)
    va8Ru.gif