Install Arc
Options

Control Wizard Feedback - Discussions

1282930313234»

Comments

• Options
    kozi001kozi001 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 876 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Hey man. GWF is not 4ed´s fighter. It´s clearly 4ed´s barbarian, who´s a striker and not a defender....
    Look at the mechanichs: Unstoppable clearly simulates Rage, Sprint simulates the extra speed Barbarians had in some editions as well as the "Charge" mechanics. I really don´t know why they called this class GWF, they should have called it Barbarian from the beginning.

Then interestingly they forget out the Barbarian fatigue after rage...
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    That's a point. A heavily armored and greatsword-holding warrior's movement should be clunky.

Then i should tank the hell out of any class.

Right now devs are trying to make a fast gap-closing striker with less survivability, but the overnerf plus other classes buffs and bugs may have a bigger impact than They expect.
  • Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pando83 wrote: »
    Then i should tank the hell out of any class.

Right now devs are trying to make a fast gap-closing striker with less survivability, but the overnerf plus other classes buffs and bugs may have a bigger impact than They expect.

You can! You just need to spec tank? See what I did there...
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    macjae wrote: »
    words

Check your private message lol

• Options
    edited August 2014
    clonkyo1 wrote: »
    So, piercing all DR, Deflection and bypass through the shield of GF is "balanced"... ok, seems legit.

Question: do you think that MacJae should delete his CW due he lost vs all other classes on Mod 3 as himself said in his posts?

No that is not balanced, the CW assailing force shouldn't mitigate all defense and cc immunity. However a 26k hp GWF with rank 7s, Destroyers Grim set and 50% blue gear shouldn't be making a judgement on how OP other classes are whilst they are in full Black Ice Corrupted sets.

• Options
    magiquepursemagiquepurse Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    in maximum a week Storm Spell will get fixed, and probably other CW stuff nerfed so hard it will be almost impossible to play a CW.

Stop being desperate. It will be fixed.

Told y'all will get fixed very fast.

Now remains to be seen if the CW is still viable lol. "Fixing" stuff on classes is as dangerous as it gets in Neverwinter.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    pointsman wrote: »
    Look, I know that RP means pretty much nothing to most of you PVPers, but it does mean something to a great many of us. And let me remind you, CWs are *wizards*. We deal in magic. So yes, we should have some ability that cuts through your defenses. It should be a powerful spell that is difficult to do, but it should be something. Just like GWFs have really big swords, and TRs have really sharp knives, and HRs have really pointy arrows, that are able to easily pierce through CW's meager cloth robes. We don't have sharp knives, we have magic spells. That's our way of cutting through your defenses.
    Most the things that could cut thru defenses magically (ie no ranged touch attack to land) require either a reflex or fortitude save. That means there is always a type of damage reduction possible. This doesn't even get into spell resistance. So yeah while I like that CW's got better in pvp this mod, They shouldn't have done it with damage that cuts thru all resistance. It's bad mmo design and it's not true to dnd.
  • Options
    pointsmanpointsman Member Posts: 2,327 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    charononus wrote: »
    Most the things that could cut thru defenses magically (ie no ranged touch attack to land) require either a reflex or fortitude save.

*Most* things. Some things don't. As I said it shouldn't be commonplace or easy to do. Assailant is a capstone feat after all. And it does about 10% of total DPS. Not a huge number. Maybe that number could be even lower, that's fine. But there is nothing wrong in principle of having some magical ability that cuts through defenses. By saying that there shouldn't be anything that cuts through defenses, as what the PVPers are complaining about, that just relegates CWs to the same level as ordinary fighters. Well then, if CWs are gonna be treated like ordinary fighters, then give us real armor and knives and swords. But as long as CWs only get cloth robes and orbs, then we gotta have something to fight with.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    *Most* things. Some things don't. As I said it shouldn't be commonplace or easy to do. Assailant is a capstone feat after all. And it does about 10% of total DPS. Not a huge number. Maybe that number could be even lower, that's fine. But there is nothing wrong in principle of having some magical ability that cuts through defenses. By saying that there shouldn't be anything that cuts through defenses, as what the PVPers are complaining about, that just relegates CWs to the same level as ordinary fighters. Well then, if CWs are gonna be treated like ordinary fighters, then give us real armor and knives and swords. But as long as CWs only get cloth robes and orbs, then we gotta have something to fight with.

Please list a spell that has no save, no ranged or physical touch attack, and doesn't respect spell penetration.
  • Options
    reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    I think you guys are overcomplicating things, not everything in Neverwinter is based on DnD, some things would work in a MMO and some others simply wouldn't.
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Please list a spell that has no save, no ranged or physical touch attack, and doesn't respect spell penetration.

I don't know. I honestly don't know all THAT much about D&D. I'm just saying that the idea of a wizard having a magical ability that can penetrate defenses is not beyond the pale.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    I don't know. I honestly don't know all THAT much about D&D. I'm just saying that the idea of a wizard having a magical ability that can penetrate defenses is not beyond the pale.
    In DnD yes it is. There is a counter for it. You aren't thinking of a Wizard, you are thinking of a god.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    There's definitely abilities in D&D (for all classes) that bypass defenses and "autohit", but they usually require ANOTHER ability to hit the target and penetrate their defense...oh, kinda like the way Assailant works right now ;)
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    There's definitely abilities in D&D (for all classes) that bypass defenses and "autohit", but they usually require ANOTHER ability to hit the target and penetrate their defense...oh, kinda like the way Assailant works right now ;)

Meehhhh yes and and no. Assailant works off of any damage and NW doesn't have misses and saves.

edit*
    A case could be made for wish, but a lot of what happens with wish involves the dm too.
  • Options
    ironzerg79ironzerg79 Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,942 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    Meehhhh yes and and no. Assailant works off of any damage and NW doesn't have misses and saves.

Which why arguing about D&D tabletop rules in a video game is silly :rolleyes:
    "Meanwhile in the moderator's lounge..."
    i7TZDZK.gif?1
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    ironzerg79 wrote: »
    Which why arguing about D&D tabletop rules in a video game is silly :rolleyes:

Yeah, it's gotten away from my point which is damage that doesn't respect dr is bad mmo game design and not part of pnp dnd so it has no place here.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    In DnD yes it is. There is a counter for it. You aren't thinking of a Wizard, you are thinking of a god.

No, I"m not asking for every CW ability to penetrate defenses. I'm asking for one, and only one, very difficult ability.
  • Options
    gabrieldourdengabrieldourden Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    edited August 2014

http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Forcecage

PnP D&D has always been a caster-fest until 4e.
    Le-Shan: HR level 80 (main)
    Born of Black Wind: SW Level 80
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Forcecage

PnP D&D has always been a caster-fest until 4e.
    That also does not do damage, which is what we were talking about, though the post you quoted if taken out of context does not make that clear I suppose.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    First, i meant you have no skills for PvP, You just confirmed it in each reply you did. Second: over 3000 kills but over 6000 assistances?? ROFLMAO!!! So many Ks there i see. :). Third, why do not just upload a video of you playing on Domination?? i want to see how good you are in PvP. :)

The real funny thing here is you cant seem to tell a wizard symbol from a ranger. The scores you mentioned are not his, they arnt even from the same class.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    That also does not do damage, which is what we were talking about, though the post you quoted if taken out of context does not make that clear I suppose.

Doesn´t matter if it doesn´t make damage. The wizard can then kill any fighter without risk or just leave him there for the next 2 hours.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Easy solution vs casters: Throw stones at them! ANY damage (even 1 point of damage) breaks casters' concentration and got dizzied for a whole turn. XD

That was exactly how it worked in 2e, any damage interrupted casting. In 3e it was almost impossible to stop a wizard casting a spell past a certain level (due to the Concentration concept). But the 2e approach won´t work in Neverwinter because powers always hit unless you dodge (that´s why AC is represented as extra DR), so any class with ranged attacks will basically make casters useless.
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Doesn´t matter if it doesn´t make damage. The wizard can then kill any fighter without risk or just leave him there for the next 2 hours.

Not quite. The fighter isn't dead, not right away, and the key to surviving anything is preparation. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rod_of_Cancellation
  • Options
    edited August 2014
    Not quite. The fighter isn't dead, not right away, and the key to surviving anything is preparation. http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Rod_of_Cancellation

So basically becoming another caster. My fighters in 2e/3e were Christmas' trees of magic items. Didn´t like that.... 4e is my cup of cake.
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited August 2014
    cleaned this thread up a bit. warnings will be forthcoming. let's keep the pvp battles in game please. and please do not feed the trolls.

thanks.

do not reply to this mod note. send me a PM instead if you'd like to discuss it.