What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Guardian Fighter Changes

Comments

• iceshard2faceiceshard2face Member Posts: 289 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    isojourner wrote: »
    shamgar4,

is it plausible that so many sorely needed, but relatively minor improvements be made after this mod 4 thing? It feels like they took a meat tendorizer to this game

I mean, what's supposed to seperate this class from any possible paladin that comes out is exactly that which you've said. That's all I'm saying.

what seperates them is that a paladin is a holy warrior, im sure they wont be using crushing surge or cleave or bullcharge in fact im banking on nice spells and atacks but we get sweet looking plate armor and maybe they will finally introduce more hammers and flails into the game along with some sweet looking shields . i kind of imagine the armor would be a mix of plate and cloth kinda like templar armor but how cool would it be to have a bunch of righteous attacks god i could only hope they make a paladin pffft druid no thank i want a bad *** holy warrior

paladins are an essential part of forgotten realms and the fact they havent made this a class yet is a surprise
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I say remove Swordmaster, make the new Paragon Paladin! Instantly make the GF a cool rewarding class with a shield!
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • ctf4voidctf4void Member Posts: 187 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The Reckless Attacker feat as it is at the live server gives an incentive for conqueror GFs to choose carefully when to actually block attacks because they lose dps when their guardmeter goes down. This makes it fun, a player can ponder when to use the shield and optimize the attacks blocked versus maximizing dps. Aside from this incentive when to choose to block, the Reckless Attacker feat as it is at the liver server is also very good, because the player has full control on how much he wants to make use of his capstone feat - it is entirely in his hands when to block attacks or when not to block attacks to have additional dps.

But the proposed Reckless Attacker at the preview server doesn't allow for such nice pondering. The dps you gain by getting 'stacks' is not linked anymore to using the shield, since any attack hitting you will build a stack, even if you have your shield raised, because the shield will let always some damage through. In addition to that, it is also less fun because you have lower control on getting more dps by your capstone feat, because receiving damage is mainly something that is controlled by mobs, and not by you.

The inferior (as reasoned above) Reckless Attacker feat at the preview server should not go live. The way the Reckless Attacker feat works at the live server is just fine. Since the Reckless Attacker feat at the live server had to be changed into what it is at the preview server to work reasonably with the proposed stamina-guard, keeping the old Reckless Attacker feat also challenges the stamina-guard. By dropping the idea of the stamina-guard as well, and simply making the existing guard/block mechanism (and perhaps the RA feat) at the live server work better, we get these benefits:

- Lower developement efforts required (and thus more ressources for new content)
    - Less new bugs occur compared to introducing the stamina-guard and the new, twisted RA feat
    - Less impact on other pillars of the GF class that would require then changes, and thus even lower developement efforts
    - less grievance from players who have already extensively build their character around what the GF is at the live server

(Note that this official feedback thread alread has 71 tension filled pages, more than any other official class feedback thread! And that has happened despite the fact that our class is supposed to become better instead of getting nerfs like other classes will recieve. Also, all these 71 pages of disagreements have occured allthough the GF class is one of the least played classes. These are indications for going the wrong way.)
  • shamgar4shamgar4 Member Posts: 121 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    They want GF's to be a tank again. That is why they are getting away from shield being tied to RA. Instead of going back to old RA, buff the new one so it is an improvement.
  • velladius#6885 velladius Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I wouldn't argue that idea. One thing that is quite frankly disturbing is the state of our At-Wills.
    Why don't they give us a couple tiny little buffs that no one would mind?
    Tide of Iron is a wasted point at best. We could instead of doing more damage... heal more guard? hell, even 5/10/15% would be a gimmick rather than an irony.
    Crushing Surge could heal a larger % instead... instead of teasing the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> out of you as a complete waste of even a single point. It could be like a mini-Griffin's Wrath. What does it get, like 1% more dmg than Cleave?
    Cleave could easily be more useful on third strike.
    Threatening Rush... lol, I won't get into that one.

But seriously. My idea of a quality GF class would be a tank, tactician, or DoT-physical.
    As it is we all fight for scraps and in fact it is a crime - we are taunted by our own at wills.
    11.jpg
    edited July 2014
    shamgar4 wrote: »
    They want GF's to be a tank again. That is why they are getting away from shield being tied to RA. Instead of going back to old RA, buff the new one so it is an improvement.

The GF never was a pure tank. There is nothing to 'go back to'. If they want a pure tank, they should make a new class instead of twisting our class. What they 'achieve' by this deep reaching overhaul is that they disgruntle those who love the GF as it is and just ask for improvement.

By the way, I wouldn't dare to introduce such a new 'pure tank' class, because the higher the gear of a player of that class, the less reason would similarly geared players have to invite such a pure tank, since tanking is less and less needed within higher geared parties. In fact I don't see any room for further melee classes with tanking character. The situation with GF and GWF is already bad enough, especially the questionable paragon path sharing is.
  • ariesvehemensariesvehemens Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Please don't introduce the new stamina-based guard block. Although I do not consider myself a GF Master, I have been playing the class for quite a while and I liked the old system. The new doesn't feel like much fun, it feels bad too. Keep the old block and just make it stronger, able to withstand more damage than it does.
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    Please don't introduce the new stamina-based guard block. Although I do not consider myself a GF Master, I have been playing the class for quite a while and I liked the old system. The new doesn't feel like much fun, it feels bad too. Keep the old block and just make it stronger, able to withstand more damage than it does.

It does not block more damage and if you try to take 5 plus mobs at once your guard goes away with the new guard you take some damage but keep your guard. This is needed as with the higher end content being put out guard is becoming almost useless and gets one shot most of the time in kessels.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
  • ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    mfgamesys wrote: »
    It does not block more damage as if you try to take 5 plus mobs at once your guard goes away with the new guard you take some damage but keep your guard. This is needed as with the higher end content being put out guard is becoming almost useless and gets one shot most of the time in kessels.

This is true! Primarily why we needed guard boosted in the first place. I tried it last night Guard was much better, I could actually lift my guard quickly and drop it back down without losing any stamina looking for a TR.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    ctf4void wrote: »
    And why can't the current Reckless Attacker feat that runs at the live server just get additional crit chance without completely overhauling it? Oh, that's right, it 'cannot', because changing it was an inescapable consequence with the introduction of the questionable idea of this stamina-guard!

This PvP focused section of playerbase that pushes for the proposed Reckless Attacker feat (the one that works with 'stacks) keeps awefully quite about the option to just improve existing things. And the reason they fight the option to just improve things tooth and nail is that that they want the stamina-guard.

The PvP focused section however is a minority, it is focused on a minority of the game (PvE is what Neverwinter primarily is!). They don't want to improve ('making something that already exists better') GFs, but instead making us something else by overhauling and twisting the class to make it fit to their desires more than one year after the game has gone live. They don't care about the negative backlash their proposed deep reaching changes have for other pillars of how our class works, and they tolerate the new bugs (from which only some are known) that inevitably come along with these deep changes.

After all your statements I have to guess that you never actually tested the changes on Preview.
    Please, speak for yourself but do not construct a front of PvP and PvE players, because I as a PvE player, for instance, like the changes very much as the new Reckless Attacker works the same way Stalwart Bulwark had worked and it was deemed a PvE armour because of that small delay (by having to get hit first) and now the same mechanic should get called a PvP mechanic? That mechanic was loved and worked for everyone, so good that many used it even in PvP and not only in PvE.
    The irony in your arguing is tremendous.

For me, the new mechanics work, I have do adapt but they do their job. And the developers have the last word on what gets changed and what not; and gentlemancrush said they do not want to change everything and they saw the need to change the live Reckless Attacker because of their changed Block mechanic which is very acceptable for me, even more than the old one, and now I have to think twice on when to block but before that change I had to think twice too as many attacks broke the guard anyway in seconds. I only hope that they increase the actual duration again a bit to give more room for mistakes.

Finally, this game is the product of the developers and not the product of our creative crowd funding and because of that they have the right to decide in the last instance how to change things.
    even though he already stated the new guard is here to stay so get used to it and lets work on improving it. because right now it can be mitigated and it should be fixed soon according to crush.

i say good let them quit, and to this i say all these people complaining probably have never actually been on the preview server and have never tested the new block mechanic out and are just qq'ing because of change. speaking of which a good player will adapt and find new ways to utilize these skills. old block blows on live and if you cant see how much better the stamina/guard is then your deluding yourself.

greater movement speed to position yourself, immune to cc(all cc) , increased survivability through movement, longer duration no more guard break on small hits VS slow sluggish movement, cc with guard up, no survivability from guard breaks, guard destroyed in seconds. sorry but i choose the new one over the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> we had before.

There will be new players and they will be perfectly fine with the class; it reminds me of the situation between Windows 8.1 and Windows 7, where they tried to force people into using the new mechanics of the Modern UI which many people refused to do simply because it was new and they had to adapt. But the difference is here that Cryptic does not have to face such a wide-spread aversion.
    edited July 2014
    The Reckless Attacker feat as it is at the live server gives an incentive for conqueror GFs to choose carefully when to actually block attacks because they lose dps when their guardmeter goes down. This makes it fun, a player can ponder when to use the shield and optimize the attacks blocked versus maximizing dps. Aside from this incentive when to choose to block, the Reckless Attacker feat as it is at the liver server is also very good, because the player has full control on how much he wants to make use of his capstone feat - it is entirely in his hands when to block attacks or when not to block attacks to have additional dps.

But the proposed Reckless Attacker at the preview server doesn't allow for such nice pondering. The dps you gain by getting 'stacks' is not linked anymore to using the shield, since any attack hitting you will build a stack, even if you have your shield raised, because the shield will let always some damage through. In addition to that, it is also less fun because you have lower control on getting more dps by your capstone feat, because receiving damage is mainly something that is controlled by mobs, and not by you.

The inferior (as reasoned above) Reckless Attacker feat at the preview server should not go live. The way the Reckless Attacker feat works at the live server is just fine. Since the Reckless Attacker feat at the live server had to be changed into what it is at the preview server to work reasonably with the proposed stamina-guard, keeping the old Reckless Attacker feat also challenges the stamina-guard. By dropping the idea of the stamina-guard as well, and simply making the existing guard/block mechanism (and perhaps the RA feat) at the live server work better, we get these benefits:

- Lower developement efforts required (and thus more ressources for new content)
    - Less new bugs occur compared to introducing the stamina-guard and the new, twisted RA feat
    - Less impact on other pillars of the GF class that would require then changes, and thus even lower developement efforts
    - less grievance from players who have already extensively build their character around what the GF is at the live server

(Note that this official feedback thread alread has 71 tension filled pages, more than any other official class feedback thread! And that has happened despite the fact that our class is supposed to become better instead of getting nerfs like other classes will recieve. Also, all these 71 pages of disagreements have occured allthough the GF class is one of the least played classes. These are indications for going the wrong way.)

lol man how can you not see that it is better overall for the class, im actually guessing you havent tried any of it yet and are just mad that it is being changed. which by the way does not effect how you have built your character man. listen you are still getting reckless attacker but instead of it being linked to shield it is linked to getting hit that is all. it has no effect on how you have built your character stop doom and glooming everything will be the same it's just a diffrent mechanic a better one. the old RA did not do well in PVE and PVP what in pve did you get swarmed by mobs and not block at all? and if you didnt RA didnt matter because you would be dead and if you did block would be destroyed in seconds. i cant see how that is better than whats on preview. but please enlighten us with a detailed explanation how old block is better please because if you actually had tried the one on preview you would find that is is 100x better than the old block and RA mechanic.
    edited July 2014
    I say remove Swordmaster, make the new Paragon Paladin! Instantly make the GF a cool rewarding class with a shield!

naw i think paladin should be it's own class, we got shafted with swordmaster though

ya hear that cyrptic GIVE US PALADINS!!!!
    edited July 2014
    freshour wrote: »
    From what I have found via testing. Our block is not where it is going to be.

Block

Block is capped at 80% DR. And since it is DR, things like thornward can reduce it zero, so I am holding my shield and taking full damage. So once that is fixed it will be a beast. I was able to keep near continuous block for 50 seconds of a minute, and that was max feated, max artifacts, max strength, max stamina gain via boons, so that could be good, but it should be increased because with that set up you aren't going to hurt anything. But like I said, currently it can be mitigated to nothing

Capstone

5% damage is rough testing right now, the crit is ok, but 20% damage increase will be a BIG noticeable difference.

Before anyone tests again

Lets let Crush fix the block, if it is meant to be mitigated, then I would then suggest a revert and leaving the capstone where it is. If our block can be mitigated, there are some classes that can reduce it zero, essentially making it useless.

72 pages still no word on this yet, come on crush poke your head out were all eager to hear whats happening
  • mfgamesysmfgamesys Member Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    72 pages still no word on this yet, come on crush poke your head out were all eager to hear whats happening

I am getting an eerie feeling with no updates since last week what bombshell is gonna be dropped on the preview test shard.
    Main-Lothor Syralth Guardian Fighter
    edited July 2014
    aethanas wrote: »
    After all your statements I have to guess that you never actually tested the changes on Preview.
    This is pretty ironic, because while I am reading your post I am with my GF at the preview server. And if you had read at least some of my statements you would have known that since I posted here specific numbers from the preview server. Just take a look at post #555 that is at page 56 of this thread. I know the stamina-guard, I know its known bugs, I don't judge it by its current bugged state but how it is intended to be. I looked at it very closely.
    edited July 2014
    lol man how can you not see that it is better overall for the class, im actually guessing you havent tried any of it yet...
    Same answer to you as I just replied to aethanas: read the post #555 at page 56 of this thread. End of story.
    edited July 2014
    I'll be ready to test more tomorrow after the server update, hopefully queing for stuff at that point. No idea if it's just regular schedule maintenance or a slew of the latest development. Anyway.
    11.jpg
    edited July 2014
    This is pretty ironic, because while I am reading your post I am with my GF at the preview server. And if you had read at least some of my statements you would have known that since I posted here specific numbers from the preview server. Just take a look at post #555 that is at page 56 of this thread. I know the stamina-guard, I know its known bugs, I don't judge it by its current bugged state but how it is intended to be. I looked at it very closely.

You realize they DID get it to work as it is intended "tentatively" since Friday right?

Ok, I just read page #52-57...
    5 pages about mod 1 min/maxing.
    11.jpg
    edited July 2014
    Same answer to you as I just replied to aethanas: read the post #555 at page 56 of this thread. End of story.

your taking into account just the raw damage well guess what you lost what maybe 75 dmg, your not taking into account the crit gain you get and how much more dmg you do on critting. it's a trade off.
    edited July 2014
    but please enlighten us with a detailed explanation how old block is better ...
    I forgot to reply to this one, since it has quite some relevance, I will do it now: The point is that I don't claim that the old block as it is in its current state at the live server is better. Comparing the old block to the stamina-block would be unfair for the old block. It would be similarly unfair to compare the old block to the stamina-guard when the stamina guard still depleted much faster. That would be unfair for the stamina-guard.

I don't like the old block as it is currently at the live server. I want it improved. And when I compare the old WAY of blocking to the stamina guard I do it in a fair way: I ask the question: "If both, the current (live server) and the stamina-guard get buffed so that they are at a level playing field, which one of the two do you favor? I feel that it is important to point that out, since I often speak with GFs about the two guard mechanics and often they don't consider that the current guard mechanic at the live server can be buffed. Regardless of how they answer my question, many haven't even thought about that option, because noone ever presented it to them.
    edited July 2014
    I forgot to reply to this one, since it has quite some relevance, I will do it now: The point is that I don't claim that the old block as it is in its current state at the live server is better. Comparing the old block to the stamina-block would be unfair for the old block. It would be similarly unfair to compare the old block to the stamina-guard when the stamina guard still depleted much faster. That would be unfair for the stamina-guard.
    I don't like the old block as it is currently at the live server. I want it improved. And when I compare the old WAY of blocking to the stamina guard I do it in a fair way: I ask the question: "If both, the current (live server) and the stamina-guard get buffed so that they are at a level playing field, which one of the two do you favor? I feel that it is important to point that out, since I often speak with GFs about the two guard mechanics and often they don't consider that the current guard mechanic at the live server can be buffed. Regardless of how they answer my question, many haven't even thought about that option, because noone ever presented it to them.

your thinking about it all wrong the new stam/guard is a buff and a big one. my question to you is what do you like about the old guard so much? answer me that. how can they improve on a broken mechanic(old guard) the way it was designed made it bad crush has even stated this. but please i want to know why you think it's so good that we should keep it, sway me.
    edited July 2014
    Ok, I just read page #52-57...
    5 pages about mod 1 min/maxing.

The only thing better about Old block was that it didn't arbitrarily drain... technically.
    11.jpg
    edited July 2014
    The only thing better about Old block was that it didn't arbitrarily drain... technically.
    lol

well with the new one we can make it so it is up 100% of the time, but im really curious as to the response i want to know what he/she thinks what makes old block so grand that the devs should consider keeping it
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    The old block was a better idea but it just didn't work. It broke in 2 seconds and then we had to stand there just waiting to die and if a gwf had a plaguefire it seemed to break our shield without the shield even being up...

The new one is stronger and much better.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2014
    I think some are skeptical about the dev's abilities and I understand, it has some basis. The inner workings of stats/feats does get pretty wild. I think it's as exciting as it is unique. Yes, gear score and ratings stuff can seem like a mountain of an obstacle, but it's a lot easier to design mechanics and function with the dev teams gaming ideals at heart, so then you just go and modify a feat or set value or something like that later on. One of the good things about GF is that it's not GWF.
    11.jpg
  • aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited July 2014

What is this all about? There are many people who use words but that does not guarantee they understand them, and besides, I just do not share your evaluation and in the end I do not care whether you are on Preview or just pretend to be.
    ... It would be similarly unfair to compare the old block to the stamina-guard when the stamina guard still depleted much faster. That would be unfair for the stamina-guard.

That is situational, the old guard would be faster down under heavy fire.
    ...I don't like the old block as it is currently at the live server. I want it improved. ...

Regardless of all improvements, the old one is always damage-related and if they would have strengthened it, it would still deplete faster the more damage a Guardian Fighter gets except they implement some conditions which prevent that increased loss.
    But still, enhancing the old mechanic by just giving it more "HP" and putting a limit to the amount of "HP" that can be depleted per second would keep the old block worthless like it is or strengthen it too much so that you always need big amounts of damage or fast dealt damage to even scratch it.
    The new one has the advantage that its duration is better assessable.

After all, the stamina-based Block seems to be the easiest one for the developers but sure you could still say that the developers were stupid and did not know what they are doing.
  • crixus8000crixus8000 Member Posts: 1,205 Bounty Hunter
    edited July 2014
    I think some are skeptical about the dev's abilities and I understand, it has some basis. The inner workings of stats/feats does get pretty wild. I think it's as exciting as it is unique. Yes, gear score and ratings stuff can seem like a mountain of an obstacle, but it's a lot easier to design mechanics and function with the dev teams gaming ideals at heart, so then you just go and modify a feat or set value or something like that later on. One of the good things about GF is that it's not GWF.

"One of the good things about GF is that it's not GWF". That is not a good thing lol, if I could have 40% deflect chance, have CC immunity and deal 20k dmg easy I would be happy but guardian fighters cant.
    Crixus - PVP GF
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • killernorekillernore Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    I think the work has shifted the dev somewhere. for example, initially increased treath like crazy, but we did not get any tool to increase our chance of survival (except the increased hp).

Guard meter for the time block was another good idea, the problem is the enemies can see how much you have left.

RA with critical chance without the full guard meter + improved mark very good job here.

but we still many aspects remain to be improved in the GF

What happened toproctertor and martial mastery paths? They need more buff than anyone

feat / ecounter / passive useless have around 7 or 8 actually not useful at any time of the game

we dont have a roll. are supposed to be warrior evoked the defense and all other classes are best for that purpose .. (inmortal GWF 80% DR+sprint +cc inmunity +41 % deflect + good hp + very good dmg and faster + good crit chance+ easy stack armor penetration+ tenacy... lol are you serius??? all dev team and players see these normal!????)

very few aoe skills

how all this is supposed to have a roll in some dungeon? Are any of the dev forum or those following have played with GF as the only and main class?

I was hope for Module 4 things to change for the GF .... but without any significant change will remain the same situation from previous modules =S
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    The main thing that people tend to be overlooking is. The new block is way easier to use, aka. "dumbed down" and the audience the devs are trying to reach are the masses and the masses, are dumb. = profit.

---

So yeah, we the real GF lost this battle against the iphone zombie hordes. Idk about you, but i'm out of here.

---

The Neverwintanic is sunken.

• klangeddinklangeddin Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2014
    naw i think paladin should be it's own class, we got shafted with swordmaster though

ya hear that cyrptic GIVE US PALADINS!!!!

If you add paladins in the current state of the game, Guardian Fighters go extinct.