test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So what is going to be done about guardian fighters?

Comments

• Options
    ripyourlipsoffripyourlipsoff Member Posts: 1,552 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    My GF and my CW are almost = in GS, that said I can easily take on Epic Encounters on my CW while maybe being hit twice and completing it. My GF not so much its much harder to kill the mobs, jumping in and out of red attacks trying to do any dps while blocking....

Its pathetic! The GF is pathetic in comparison to other classes, they have moot dps and really only maybe 10% more DR then other classes so instead of being hit for 10k they are hit for 9k compared to other classes. Its ridiculous that because we take a tiny bit more damage we do substantially less dps.
    Shieldbash 60 GF ~ Iron Vanguard 19.0k
    Overpowered 60 CW ~ Thaumaturge 14.5k
    ==========================================

~ GF Buffs were great we are much better, please fix the bugs now... Thank you!
  • Options
    silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    And yet people keep talking about "utility". The GF has enough of that sh...tuff already. We really do not need anymore utility especially party buffs, trust me.

@colonelwing - I am a struggling GF PvP-er. I get ganked all the time. As such, I would absolutely L-O-V-E to see your build and some explanation as to how you play it in PvP. I know some people don't want to share builds due to copycats but I hope you're not one of them. Our GF community needs us to share our experiences so we can become more valuable and sharing builds is one way to do it.

Appreciate any help you can give me.

Thanks!!
    I aim to misbehave
  • Options
    kattefjaeskattefjaes Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,270 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    antovaras wrote: »
    Impressed, helps turn the GF into a better tank. Now we just need the game requiring a tank...

This, sadly, is the crux of the matter. Even if you turned the GF into a tanking monster, it would still weaken a group to take one along, as it's better to just let various classes AoE stuff down. Until dungeons involve fewer, harder hitting foes that all classes can't just solo and facetank with a modicum of skill, a tank is a waste of space.
  • Options
    ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    ayroux wrote: »
    After further reflection, I believe ONE of the issues surrounding guardian fighters is actually a mechanic broken in another area:

Weapon Enchants:
    http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?657951-This-is-probably-asking-for-too-much-but

Can a GF use a bilethorn very well? No. Because we attack too slow to really get much benefit from it along with our low weapon damage.

All of these weapon enchants work amazing with other classes because of high weapon damage and or rapid attacks - or BOTH!

Even Vorpal GFs get the short end because at best we can get about 20-25% crit chance while alot of other classes can easily push 40%+ in PVP! Thats almost DOUBLE the effectiveness of the enchant!

Well... If weapon enchants were based on the end DAMAGE not the weapon damage - this would actually do QUITE a bit to balance classes out.....

I just want to quote this again. I really believe this is a MAJOR cause for some of the issues in this game. If I were a DEV, I would look at this first, and I think this would balance ALOT of things out.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    thestaggy wrote: »
    Ramping up the GF's DPS could cause serious balance issues in PVP. I am a GF and would love GWF damage for my GF, but I see how OP that could get in PVP. I have 47% DR, 21% deflec and 11% regen in PVP. Give me MOAR DPS and you'll have QQ threads all over. Some players already complain about a GF's chain pone rotation, so make that rotation hit harder and people will be crying.

So it is a delicate balance. Instead of just MOAR DPS give us useful party buffs, a better TAB feature and faster cast times. If we just hit things faster that would already go a long way to improving our DPS without giving us a base damage boost. Allow us to be CC immune like a GWF.

As for the TAB-Mark issue. One idea for TAB is to make it like the CWs, allowing us to rotate powers in there, but in our case we have two options; Mark or an immunity feature. Mark, as it is, has value in controlling pulls if you have a weak party that cannot survive YOLO pulls. The GF can mark an elite one by one and make for smooth clears (Clearing the room of Golems in FH is a prime example of where a GF can TAB-mark them out in twos to better manage the fight). Mark also helps us with our own single-target DPS in PVP, so I wouldn't like to see Mark go altogether. Maybe turn Into the Fray into something like Unstoppable for a GF, but with party benefits to boost utility. We become CC-immune and have increased damage resistance & run speed, while also boosting party defence, AP gain and movement.

As for he Lunging Strike - Flourish comparison; a Swordmaster can also get Lunging Strike, so that isn't an accurate comparison. Flourish needs to be compared to Frontline Surge.

I for one don't want more dps unless its on my at wills, I want more survivability! I want to be able to use an ability and regenerate hp while immune to CC too!

• Options
    fdsakhfduewhfiuffdsakhfduewhfiuf Member Posts: 604 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Survivability of the GF compared to the GWF is a joke. With my GWF toon I don't care about most of the red zones most of the time. I just get hit, go unstoppable, and let Life Steal heal me. The GF toon in the same situation blocks some hits, drinks some potions and sooner or later needs to run.

IMHO the GF needs more damage resistance - not just more defence - and more hit points. It also would be nice to have a better way of how the shield works. Currently it breaks so quickly that it's almost useless.

More speed would also be nice to have. How about increasing run speed during the time the shield is broken? In that case the GF sometimes can't do anything else than run away.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I mean while everyone enjoys their classes and progresses through content we GFs are pretty much in a mire waiting for anything to make us just a little better...

Will you Devs throw us a bone? Can we too, enjoy the summer playing our Guardian Fighters, or must we too roll a GWF / HR?

GF = Sad Community...

• Options
    snappa0126snappa0126 Member Posts: 90
    edited May 2014
    I feel that this thread needs a bump. Our community has been crying for help for months now and we still don't have an official answer from a developer that we are going to be fixed. We have had moderators hint that we are being looked at but they provide no proof.
    HAMSTER, level 60 GF, "Bloodthirsty" since Mod 2
    Anarchist, level 60 CW
    Arsenic,
    level 60 TR
    Pluck Yew, level 60 HR
    Therapissed,
    level 60 DC
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Devs come on man! If you wait 3 months to make us viable we will be so fare behind in gear, content whats the point?

• Options
    hypervoreianhypervoreian Member Posts: 1,036 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Devs come on man! If you wait 3 months to make us viable we will be so fare behind in gear, content whats the point?

3 months?You are optimist.First the Mod 4 wil be released which is a major mod like 1 and 2.Then they will fix the bugs etc of that mod.After they will deal with Gf.We r talking a good 3-5 months after mod 4 release ,according to my opinion.Might be wrong though.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    I mean while everyone enjoys their classes and progresses through content we GFs are pretty much in a mire waiting for anything to make us just a little better...

Will you Devs throw us a bone? Can we too, enjoy the summer playing our Guardian Fighters, or must we too roll a GWF / HR?

GF = Sad Community...

I am levelling a TR.Surprisingly if you go towards a hybrid build,is close to a GF feel.Instead of block you dodge.(closer than a CW/HR at least)
    I am levelling with the sole purpose to troll some GWfs trolls when and if ever reach l60.Currently 41 at the momnet.I suggest you to do the same.:D
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    Sad day, how the devs have completely alienated an entire class after we placed so much time and $$$ into the game. It reminds me of SWTOR I left that game with the other thousands...

Shameful!

• Options
    gentlemancrushgentlemancrush Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 445 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2014
    Hey guys, I wanted to drop by and talk a bit about Guardian Fighters and what is going on with them in the coming months. We have heard your feedback, and have been looking hard at where and how they fit into combat and group structure. We decided that we did not have time to implement the changes we wanted to make to improve Guardian Fighter utility, group strength, and tanking tools and still get adequate testing in. Therefore we wanted to step back and take a longer look at Guardians and make some bigger changes to them on a longer time frame where we could get more testing in.

We wanted to address a couple of really big issues that we feel are impeding the Guardian's ability to tank in groups. While we have not finalized the specifics about the changes we are making, I wanted to share some of the major issues we are hitting with the changes we are working on.
    • Threat Generation and Aggro Control - We know how frustrating it is to try and maintain threat with how much damage other classes can dish out, so we are making some key changes to allow the Guardian to both capitalize on that and generate substantially more threat in his own kit as well.
    • Interaction between Blocking and healers - We are looking at several options to adjust Block that removes some of the binary "I am blocking and therefore don't really benefit from healing" gameplay that exists as well as the risk of Block being broken so rapidly under sustained fire.
    • Group utility benefits - We wanted to provide some buffs that allow the Guardian to empower his teammates a bit as well as long as he is fulfilling his role correctly and maintaining threat on targets, and we have a couple ideas we are trying to allow the guardian to provide some pretty powerful increases to ally output without sacrificing the core of his role.
    I don't currently have a timeline for when you guys will be able to see these things, but I wanted you guys to know we are taking your feedback and we are working on changes to improve Guardian gameplay and tanking in general.

Thank you again for the continued feedback!

Chris "Gentleman Crush" Meyer

Bumping my response so people don't have to dig through the thread! We are still working on a handful of things, and I hope to have them reaching Preview in the next few weeks.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Bumping my response so people don't have to dig through the thread! We are still working on a handful of things, and I hope to have them reaching Preview in the next few weeks.

To be honest with you, none of these "issues" are really affecting us GF. What we need is more weapon damage and a few other minor tweaks, not much else. As a tactician we can hold aggro against anybody allday long. We do not need any aggro control adjustments. Group utility? We have 75% of our skills doing exactly that. Besides, other classes do not need to gain more power from us, we are the ones in need, not them.

----

My suggestions:

Increase our attack range as well as at-will speed by at least 15%. We should be able to hit at-wills faster than a GWF, we are using a one handed sword, after all.

Fix Griffon's wrath, chaining hits, even if the target is dead already. It should be three independent hits, not a chained combo that we cannot interrupt.

The same goes for aggravating strike. The hits seem to chain, without any way of being able to interrupt it. The main issue with it though, is the step forward animation. It tends to go past our target and leave our flanks entirely open. Eventually get rid of said stepping-animation.

Fix Knight's challenge. It randomly bugs out, just like itc and other skills used to. Maybe speed up it's animation time. It also can be interrupted if we hit any other skill during it's animation and the skill goes into CD without applying the KC debuff/buff.

Fix lunging strike. If i aim a moving target and the target goes beyond my reach, LS spazzes out halfway towards the target leaving me open to all kinds of attacks while the skill goes into cooldown. I think it's time to turn this skill into an actual teleport, or increase it's attack range. It would also help to improve the latency related issues this skill has, a little.

Our base weapon damage is comparably low, compared to what other classes can get. Increase it by at least 100 - 150 min and 100 - 150 max dmg for lvl 60 items.

Anvil of doom should get it's 2x dmg bonus at 30-35% hp, instead of 25% hp because it is pretty hard to get someone down to -25% hp and even if we manage to they can still heal/regen etc.

I am not a big advocate of increasing our guard meter since we have items and feats for that already, BUT maybe we can consider making it deplete a little slower in order to bring it more on par with what other classes have to offer.

Eventually consider enabling us to actually protect our team members in a cone area, behind our raised shield, aswell as increasing the actual radius in which we are able to block. Our flanks tend to be pretty open against ranged classes most of the time.

Positive feedback:

I love what you have done to anvil of doom, our tab-mark and lunging strike, on the last GF update. I will add more suggestions to this post, once my mind is clear, again. Thx for reading.

• Options
    edited May 2014

Lets us pray they are implemented sooner rather then later as everyone moves forth in Module 3 so us GF don't get left behind. Thank you for your response I would ask cordially you take a peek at some of the suggestion threads as some people have written up some really good ideas with explanations.

• Options
    zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Hey guys, I wanted to drop by and talk a bit about Guardian Fighters and what is going on with them in the coming months. We have heard your feedback, and have been looking hard at where and how they fit into combat and group structure. We decided that we did not have time to implement the changes we wanted to make to improve Guardian Fighter utility, group strength, and tanking tools and still get adequate testing in. Therefore we wanted to step back and take a longer look at Guardians and make some bigger changes to them on a longer time frame where we could get more testing in.

We wanted to address a couple of really big issues that we feel are impeding the Guardian's ability to tank in groups. While we have not finalized the specifics about the changes we are making, I wanted to share some of the major issues we are hitting with the changes we are working on.
    • Threat Generation and Aggro Control - We know how frustrating it is to try and maintain threat with how much damage other classes can dish out, so we are making some key changes to allow the Guardian to both capitalize on that and generate substantially more threat in his own kit as well.
    • Interaction between Blocking and healers - We are looking at several options to adjust Block that removes some of the binary "I am blocking and therefore don't really benefit from healing" gameplay that exists as well as the risk of Block being broken so rapidly under sustained fire.
    • Group utility benefits - We wanted to provide some buffs that allow the Guardian to empower his teammates a bit as well as long as he is fulfilling his role correctly and maintaining threat on targets, and we have a couple ideas we are trying to allow the guardian to provide some pretty powerful increases to ally output without sacrificing the core of his role.
    I don't currently have a timeline for when you guys will be able to see these things, but I wanted you guys to know we are taking your feedback and we are working on changes to improve Guardian gameplay and tanking in general.

Threat Generation and Aggro Control - We know how frustrating it is to try and maintain threat with how much damage other classes can dish out, so we are making some key changes to allow the Guardian to both capitalize on that and generate substantially more threat in his own kit as well

Again threat generation is really not a problem we have feats that already increase this.
    Interaction between Blocking and healers - We are looking at several options to adjust Block that removes some of the binary "I am blocking and therefore don't really benefit from healing" gameplay that exists as well as the risk of Block being broken so rapidly under sustained fire.

I approved, while your at it. can you also find a way on how to actually fix the the delay on how long it takes for you to raise your shield again.
    Group utility benefits - We wanted to provide some buffs that allow the Guardian to empower his teammates a bit as well as long as he is fulfilling his role correctly and maintaining threat on targets, and we have a couple ideas we are trying to allow the guardian to provide some pretty powerful increases to ally output without sacrificing the core of his role

This part is something i'm trying to wrap my mind into it. the reason why gf is even considering being part of the group for dungeons is because of the knight captains buff but nowadays, it's more beneficial to actually bring a CW in place of the GF. if you do this change you are not only doing the same but also excluding us from the part.

What kind of buff are we talking about here. if it's something as adding some power/defense or any other stats to other partymates excluding the GF then its the same thing as KC.

what we are asking is a chance to actually stand toe to toe with the power house you created (GWF/HR/TR).

My suggestions are as follow.

1. Change the deflect severity of the GF to 60% or any number you deem is balance but not 50% like any other class except for TR. i mean we are already wearing a shield - it should come to us as normal to actually deflect things

2. Increase the Weapon base damage - in comparison even the DC main hand has more wpn damage against us, we are are talking about a support class

3. Enforce threat - this skill is good in PVE and i'm still using it till now but could you increase the animation of this skill, as it can easily get interrupted, the same as villaince menace

4. Other path - right now the only good path is conqueror in comparison to protector or tactician. they have their uses but can't compare to the conqueror tree
    4A. Protector tree - why don't you change or update the corner stone of this path, aside from the current power it does. why don't
    also give it a buff that it also reduce the cooldown of knights valor or and Iron warrior

5. TAB Mark - this thing is so under performing it doesn't really compare to other classes TAB power. (yes i know you fixed it) but in the first place before you actually fixed it, the tool tip already mentioned that what is it doing now so i don't think that is an improvement (it's a fixed for me)
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    zhaofuo wrote: »
    4. Other path - right now the only good path is conqueror in comparison to protector or tactician. they have their uses but can't compare to the conqueror tree

This isn't entirely true. I can only tell from a pvp perspective but the tactician spec, is actually the best option for a burst damage spec. In pve i think the spec is terrible, just by looking at how dungeons are designed, i agree.

---

Conqueror is actually the weakest pvp spec, because there is hardly a time where we have a full guard meter unless we just came back from the campfire and nobody attacks us first.

• Options
    zhaofuozhaofuo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 129 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    This isn't entirely true. I can only tell from a pvp perspective but the tactician spec, is actually the best option for a burst damage spec. In pve i think the spec is terrible, just by looking at how dungeons are designed, i agree.

---

Conqueror is actually the weakest pvp spec, because there is hardly a time where we have a full guard meter unless we just came back from the campfire and nobody attacks us first.

it's more of a preference you see. the only way a conqe will ever raise his shield is, if he/she knows that a certain attack will most likely kill him. that's why you have a DR of around 48% to 51% DR to soak that damage aside.

and with the power rework conqueror can burst better than a tactician but i do agree to each his own.
  • Options
    maxiumdanmaxiumdan Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Could make taking a GF to dungeon a requirement...
  • Options
    damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    First off, let me say that I have no trouble whatsoever holding aggro as a GF with all but 10 points in Protection (other 10 in Tactician). The ONLY time i might have a player pull aggro off of me is when it is a really well geared TR who knows how to play. Even then, the aggro is easy enough to grab back. I use KV, ItF and ET. Coupled with SoS, KV and ET is more than enough to hold aggro off of a party, particularly if targets are marked.

Secondly, what needs to be remembered is that there are a lot of DPS specced GFs running around and it is because they can not handle (in the main) the damage using KV with SoS that they struggle holding mass aggro.

It is important to note that damage does not necessarily equal aggro for a GF. This is a commonly held mistaken belief. My GF has less than 2k Power and less than 700 Crit and has very minute difficulty holding aggro.

I am quite happy for any player, regardless of gear, to try grabbing aggro off me.

If a GF wants to spec Conqueror and go for damage over survivability, then that does not diminish the capability of other specced GFs to 'Tank'.

I have lost count of the times I have had parties amazed at how easily my GF can hold mass aggro and survive and, most often, their surprise is purely because they are used to running with DPS specced GFs.

I believe there are not very many changes needed to the GF at all. However, from what i can see, it has only been mentioned once that Knight's Valor (KV) is bugged and needs to be fixed. KV has been bugged now for over 14 months with one attempt to fix it which did not. Fix KV and a lot of problems will be sorted.

I know that fresh and overly under-geared GFs might have trouble 'tanking' so perhaps consider these changes:

1. Increase the guard recharge time slightly - doesn't have to be much, including recharge time after guard has been broken.
    2. Fix the Dread Ring boon "Illusion Shimmer" to actually give 3% increased Deflection Severity.
    3. Consider increasing the Deflection Severity from 50% to 75% or anything in between. (At 33.3% Deflect Chance, 50% = ~8% effective DR). No GF can currently obtain anywhere near 50% Deflection Chance so there is no risk of this becoming over powered.
    4. Consider adding a facility where a Marked target generates additional Threat over time from all Mark sources.
    5. Increase all damage of weapons by 1-5 and increase proportionately Powers that do not rely on weapon damage.
    6. Change boons and Barkshield enchants that provide a 'bubble' like effect to absorb / reduce damage after Damage Resistance, Block and Deflection, rather than before.
    7. Consider new ways to incorporate strategies into content that require a GF holding aggro. This will increase the need for the GFs role in a party. For example, npcs that will all zerg one player at random unless marked / taunted. Npcs that have one-shot kill attacks in a wide cone that need to be aggroed and faced away from party with the attack killing or almost killing any player except a character that can block it, with attacks frequenting the maximum guard recharge time.

These changes, while not large in play effect, will significantly improve the capacity of a GF to 'Tank', regardless of spec, however, more benefit will be obtained from GFs who have specced as Protection or Tactician over Conqueror, while not leaving Conqueror specced GFs a liability as the suggested changes would benefit them too in either a 'tank' role or 'Dps'.

For those people arguing that GFs do not get much of a benefit from many weapon enchants that help them to tank and hold aggro, I must point out that this is not the case. Enchants such as Lifedrinker (my favourite), Thunderhead and Lightning all are great enchants that assist a GF to hold aggro.

So, i believe if you want to have GFs more capable than what they already are at 'tanking', please don't listen to GFs specced and equipped as DPS. Quite obviously, players shouldn't be able to have it both ways; either they are a 'tank' or they are a 'Dps', not a DPS that can also tank.

I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH THOUGH.... PLEASE FIX KNIGHT'S VALOR.
  • Options
    thegrandexenothegrandexeno Member Posts: 239 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014

Dear Chris, while you're dutifully rebalancing the aggro/threat, block and utility of the GF, please take note of these 3 fundamental (imho) passages to rightfully rebalance a GF:

Here are some Buffs I want to propose that will not disrupt any kind of balance, in my opinion, but will give the GF the right to be called in dungeon runs (focus: mid-endgame)
    >>Just remember that all these suggestion SHOULD be implemented in bulk to work.

-buff the amount of aggroed monsters (like double the possible limit?)
    -buff the block meter scaling with the amount of aggroed monsters
    -buff the weapon damage output with the amount of aggroed monsters (+30%-50% per mob tanked sounds right?)

In addition you may want to rescale (upwards) the amount-per-unit-of these stats: +HP /Def/Deflect.

With these changes we should already notice a buffed up GF that keeps more aggro via skill AND damage, that can block more aggroed monsters instead of being insta-squashed after a brief struggle, and that can wipe out mobs in a decent time (IF he does the correct class gameplay->using aggroing skills->no "OP build" that ditches slotting aggro skills and maintains power multiplier)

Thank you for reading us: send us the ophtalmologist bill :P
    • Halflingas The Great - Stormwarden HR(60)
  • Options
    damnaciousdamnacious Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 354 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    First off, let me say that I have no trouble whatsoever holding aggro as a GF with all but 10 points in Protection (other 10 in Tactician). The ONLY time i might have a player pull aggro off of me is when it is a really well geared TR who knows how to play. Even then, the aggro is easy enough to grab back. I use KV, ItF and ET. Coupled with SoS, KV and ET is more than enough to hold aggro off of a party, particularly if targets are marked.

Secondly, what needs to be remembered is that there are a lot of DPS specced GFs running around and it is because they can not handle (in the main) the damage using KV with SoS that they struggle holding mass aggro.

It is important to note that damage does not necessarily equal aggro for a GF. This is a commonly held mistaken belief. My GF has less than 2k Power and less than 700 Crit and has very minute difficulty holding aggro.

I am quite happy for any player, regardless of gear, to try grabbing aggro off me.

If a GF wants to spec Conqueror and go for damage over survivability, then that does not diminish the capability of other specced GFs to 'Tank'.

I have lost count of the times I have had parties amazed at how easily my GF can hold mass aggro and survive and, most often, their surprise is purely because they are used to running with DPS specced GFs.

Quite simply, if you are a GF and having difficulty holding aggro on an NPC, tab Mark it and use ET. That will almost certainly grab the aggro. If you want to hold it, hit it while it's Marked. Not hard. If you have multiple NPC you need to grab aggro on, tab Mark them and use ET... And if you are trying to be a "Tank" who can hold aggro and you haven't feated for bonus threat and / or slot Enhanced Mark, then you have no business trying to be a "tank" who can hold aggro.

For PVP, Conqueror spec GFs seem to do all right from what i experienced while i was so specced and geared, most often hitting like a train. However, if properly specced as a Protection/Tactician and geared for it, a GF can throw on KV and SoS and melt an opposing team. I quite often do and enjoy watching the other party commit suicide through dps.

I believe there are not very many changes needed to the GF at all. However, from what i can see, it has only been mentioned once that Knight's Valor (KV) is bugged and needs to be fixed. KV has been bugged now for over 14 months with one attempt to fix it which did not. Fix KV and a lot of problems will be sorted.

I know that fresh and overly under-geared GFs might have trouble 'tanking' so perhaps consider these changes:

1. Increase the guard recharge time slightly - doesn't have to be much, including recharge time after guard has been broken.

2. Fix the Dread Ring boon "Illusion Shimmer" to actually give 3% increased Deflection Severity.

3. Consider increasing the Deflection Severity from 50% to 75% or anything in between. (At 33.3% Deflect Chance, 50% = ~8% effective DR). No GF can currently obtain anywhere near 50% Deflection Chance so there is no risk of this becoming over powered.

4. Consider adding a facility where a Marked target generates additional Threat over time from all Mark sources.

5. Increase all damage of weapons by 1-5 and increase proportionately Powers that do not rely on weapon damage.

6. Change boons and Barkshield enchants that provide a 'bubble' like effect to absorb / reduce damage after Damage Resistance, Block and Deflection, rather than before.

7. Consider new ways to incorporate strategies into content that require a GF holding aggro. This will increase the need for the GFs role in a party. For example, npcs that will all zerg one player at random unless marked / taunted. Npcs that have one-shot kill attacks in a wide cone that need to be aggroed and faced away from party with the attack killing or almost killing any player except a character that can block it, with attacks frequenting the maximum guard recharge time. This could be similar to the boss in Dread Spire.

These changes, while not large in play effect, will significantly improve the capacity of a GF to 'Tank', regardless of spec, however, more benefit will be obtained from GFs who have specced as Protection or Tactician over Conqueror, while not leaving Conqueror specced GFs a liability as the suggested changes would benefit them too in either a 'tank' role or 'Dps'.

For those people arguing that GFs do not get much of a benefit from many weapon enchants that help them to tank and hold aggro, I must point out that this is not the case. Enchants such as Lifedrinker (my favourite), Thunderhead and Lightning all are great enchants that assist a GF to hold aggro.

So, i believe if you want to have GFs more capable than what they already are at 'tanking', please don't listen to GFs specced and equipped as DPS. Quite obviously, players shouldn't be able to have it both ways; either they are a 'tank' or they are a 'Dps', not a DPS that can also tank.

I CAN NOT STRESS THIS ENOUGH THOUGH.... PLEASE FIX KNIGHT'S VALOR.
  • Options
    edited May 2014
    For all the GFs that say that damage does not equals aggro:
    I was defender.I was struggling with enhanced mark and tab -marking all the time to hold aggro on T1 and some T2.
    Some time ago i respecced to conq.Everything became so so easier.Holding agggro is now just an enforced threat click away.And i have not even enhanced mark slotted lol.
    The only adds i can't take aggro are the adds that are hitted by aoe CW spells or caught into(FH near Hrimmir) or the werewolves spawned and get hit by the players on the right side of PK final boss.
    ^^^
    Why i can't?Cause they already got hitted by other players and got aggro with them.So damage equals aggro.More damage more aggro. End of parenthesis.

What needs to be done to GF?

Generally to improve the hp gain from con.See 90% of Gfs having 33k hp or less and Sents to have 35+ is not right.
    Weapon damage needs o be improved.Elite swords in the range of 600 while Dcs main are in the range of 800????
    Defence/deflect stats need to be scaled better for Gf.GWF with 1080 deflect goes to 31% while GF to achieve this needs 2000+ deflect.Just an example.
    All animations must be speed up a little.Enforced threat is famous for getting interrupted.Villain's Menace the same .Griffon still slow.etc.
    itemization is like someone was working on Gfs untill blue level 60 and then another took in.All blues have varieties of piercing,valiant etc parts.While epics are stuck with power/recovery/defence.No arm pen no critical.
    And please remove the movement penalty that now the Gf class has.If a GWF with 40% defence and a huge greatsword can sprint why Gf must remain slow?We do not want to sprint but at least to be on par with Dc/CWs.

For conq tree it needs increased damage output.Cause it was inteneded ,as i think from description,to be a hybrid dps /tank.It is neither.Its feats that give increased damage must be reworked.
    Anvil of doom since it is used extensivelly by conqs(it is one of the few real damage encounters) should take a feat in conq's tree.Currently it is in tactician.If you spec for tactician ,a controller why is the feat there instead of conq?

For defender it needs increased defence/deflect feats and hp.

For tactician inceased cc ,and buff utilities.

If GF gets increased aggro while his survivability or dps remains the same then it would be step in the wrong direction.In its present state of dps/survivability a GF cannot survive the t2 adds.Proof?None Gf in the whole server can tank the mobs in FH.Where by kitting he finally gets all his aggro.if the GF stops running and goes to block he is dead in 25-30 secs max.
    As said in previous post we need propositions about Gf that take into account the game based mechanics.
    Which are:
    Big Aoe easy to dodge (which GF can't cause he is so slooowwwww...)but completely lethal to stay in.Lots and lots of adds with huge hp pool.Spawnable adds at certain percentage of boss fights.Adds that appear and hit from different directions.Special abilities that freeze and stun.(FH golems etc)

Other things tht can be done:
    Tab Mark 8% dr to be raised up to 15-20%.The mark focus target to be unable to cc the GF.
    Enforced threat to have a range radius and not a target cup.
    Weapon damage of all GF longswords to get a 15-20% increase.
    Feats that proc(steel blitz) to proc more often.
    Into the fray hp/action bonus can be boosted.Especially hp.I am siting at 35k hp in pve and the amount my team8s get is nearly unnoticable..
    Anvil of doom can do double damage from 40%.if a boss is in 25% well the party will kill him anyways.
  • Options
    fuldryfuldry Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 20
    edited May 2014
    Have you tried to do the Totem of Auril phase 3 with a tank blocking damage ?

Shield up, 3 seconds, shield down, dead. GF does not work. Needs fixing. Fast.
  • Options
    aethanasaethanas Member Posts: 232 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Are people aware of the change of Iron Warrior? That it gives another 150% of Threat Generation? I use it over Knight's Valor with the same results most of the time and have no problems in holding Aggro. I am using the Tactician tree and it works; often times I use the Encounters: Enhanced Threat, Iron Warrior and Lunging Strike or Into the Fray, with the Passives: Enhanced Mark and Shield Talent or Combat Superiority, and with the At-Wills: Cleave or Tide of Iron and Threatening Rush.

As of now, the block mechanics seem out of date for me, a better way to replenish it and better protections against damage for it and a better responsiveness for the block mechanics and Power animations more fluid than now, coupled with better diminishing returns for defensive stats for the GF alone (better natural Deflection Severity too) would ease the state of the Guardian Fighter a bit -- then there would be left the idea of better party integration in terms of damage supporting and enemy weakening.
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I never really have trouble holding agro either, and I have pitiful dps. I been looking for the common theme of who reports trouble and who does not.

At first I thought it might be the protector debuff generating hate, but aethanas reports no trouble and he is on tactician. I am beginning to think it is the combo of "Enhanced Mark + Threatening rush" is part of the equation. AEing that mark is pretty strong, I think. It is tough to say why some people are so insistent that GFs have agro issues, but other people don't notice at all.

I am moving over to swordfighter today because while I have always loved Threatening Rush, I have been enticed by that 5 seconds of immunity. I wonder if I am going to miss the AE marking? We shall see. I wish there was an AE mark generator on Swordfighter =).
  • Options
    killernorekillernore Member Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    i think the sistem blocking need reworked to time can holder. AC sistems for hit or dmg is too week for any path and then def stat in GF suck if you compare whit other class ... and suppose th Gf is warrior class focus in def ...GWF is warrior class focused in dmg and cant get 42 % deflect, 40 k hp a good regeneration and still hit hard like **** soo start to focus balance class pliss

Almost i think the con stat in gf can stack regeneration and more amount hp. in other side the amount of protecion GF can generate need bosster.
  • Options
    qutsemniequtsemnie Member Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Can you put AE mark on Into the Fray to make an AE mark available on Swordmaster. KK thanks =)~
  • Options
    lisaxxiilisaxxii Member Posts: 207 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2014
    Sad day, how the devs have completely alienated an entire class after we placed so much time and $$$ into the game. It reminds me of SWTOR I left that game with the other thousands...

Shameful!

Yeah the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> in this game reminds me of SWTOR sometimes, but remember what killed that game, sweeping MAJOR class changes all at once. Cryptic is doing the right thing, they are just going really really slow with it and they are making mistakes along the way which is to be expected. But it seems they are making the same mistakes over and over which is frustrating.

Having said all that....

WHY lips..... Are you starting ANOTHER thread about this, there are literally 1/2 dozen right now. In fact in one of them a DEV has commented saying they are working on it. And the real kicker.... YOU have been participating in that thread.... So WTF man? Stop it.
    Enemy Team