test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Neverwinter Event: Challenge of the Gods (Ended, was for PC)

Comments

• hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The only feedback I can really give on this is.. well... bad. Most of those challenges are what I do to keep myself entertained while I'm waiting for Gauntylgrim to open up and don't have time to hop into a foundry quest. Since there's not much I can say about something that, in my opinion, is nothing more than random grind quests, I'll just give you a suggestion of something I would've found more apt for this event.

Challenge of the Gods, players are teleported to a special arena (alone) to face hoardes of monsters at their level or higher. However, the presiding god will apply a random effect to the arena that will make it more difficult to fight. The effects can be on the terrain such as acid, fire, lightning, or cold (each applying separate detrimental effects to the player). The effects can also be on the player such as poison, burning, plaguefire, darkfire, and other negative effects. Monsters are immune to the penalties of the gods.

That's something I would've played the hell out of. You could make acid and lightning interrupt or stun players (Even if they're indomitable or in the middle of using a power) which means they'd have to rely on faster powers that can't be interrupted. Darkfire would've made the player more susceptible to attacks so they'd either have to keep their distance or finish their enemies quickly to avoid taking massive damage. Basically you never know what you're gonna get and you'd have to adapt to different situations. That's a non-grindy challenge that isn't something I already do while waiting for something more interesting to open up. Side note, I just came up with this entire concept off the top of my head right now. That's why some of the effects may seem redundant.

Sorry if I can't give much in the way of constructive feedback, but to give constructive feedback I actually have to like something in the event. Most I can say that's positive is that a couple of the items are pretty cool and Corellon's challenge is... well more irritating than fun but at least it's challenging. So if I was reviewing this I'd give it 3/10.
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    hiddenfate wrote: »
    Challenge of the Gods, players are teleported to a special arena (alone) to face hoardes of monsters at their level or higher. However, the presiding god will apply a random effect to the arena that will make it more difficult to fight. The effects can be on the terrain such as acid, fire, lightning, or cold (each applying separate detrimental effects to the player). The effects can also be on the player such as poison, burning, plaguefire, darkfire, and other negative effects. Monsters are immune to the penalties of the gods.

Have you thought about players whose characters happen to be Clerics? How do you expect them to survive/beat that?
  • ipwnu1ipwnu1 Member Posts: 89
    edited February 2014
    Feedback: challenges are, well, not challenging and rewards are on par with those challenges. Like the poster at the beginning of the thread I expected to fight an epic battle to prove "my worth" to gods. I thought upon receiving the challenge(I also thought it would be an item and I will activate it when I want to and not when there is only the boss fight left in the solo dungeon). Then I would get a ticket to an arena or something or a solo dungeon that has a monster I have to beat with a group of friendly allies or a labyrinth that I must find a way out of. Like the trials of Hercules.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The one time I've gotten the crafting challenge, I had slots vacant (waiting on good rare tasks), so I immediately started three tasks to gather simple pelts. I didn't rush them, and succeeded at the challenge as soon as the leatherworkers returned from their business.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • two30two30 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,168 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    The challenges make me wonder about these deity's personalities.
    • Chauntea is rewarding waste.
    • Corellon is rewarding masochism.
    • Tymora is rewarding thriftiness.
    I understand that coming up with small challenges that are completable for all classes and levels isn't easy, but the religious connections are odd.

If I were designing the event, each challenge would summon a totem-critter that needs to be chased, like the spies in Blackdagger Ruins. Oghma's totem would be a scroll, Silvanus's totem would be a leaf, Moradin's would be a hammer, etc. No "kill 10 random enemies while hopping on one foot". Chase that totem down before it disappears!
    Neverwinter Tools for evaluating boons, mounts, dyes, etc.
  • ddaaffttddaafftt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    two30 wrote: »
    I understand that coming up with small challenges that are completable for all classes and levels isn't easy, but the religious connections are odd.

My Faerunian Brother!!

Seriously though, I just don't like the list of gods they have in general. Could at least have thrown in Ilmater, he would fit some of these challenges better...
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I'm pretty sure that 'Corellon' is actually Lovitar. Though I was somewhat amused when my Drow rogue failed the challenge of Corellon. Who'd have thought it possible?
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
    edited February 2014
    nwnghost wrote: »
    Have you thought about players whose characters happen to be Clerics? How do you expect them to survive/beat that?

Like I said, it was come up with on the spot. If I wanted to I could probably balance out the entire concept so that it's fair to everyone. That aside it wouldn't be too difficult to put a little variable into the arena that multiplied cleric damage by a certain % to make it so that they're about equal to everyone else. My point was, "that" is the kind of concept I would like to see more of. Not random grindfests.
  • fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    47 boxes opened at once

1 A Coin Pack
    4 Dyes
    4 Kits
    and a lot of junk

wondering how much i will open b4 i get this neck transmute.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • pitirre34prpitirre34pr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    My life and times as a wood elf, and my devotion to good and the god of my fair sylvian race has gotten me noticed and most loved by my fair god, Corellion.

He has but one final show of faith intended for me, I just have to go get the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kicked out of me and survive for 30 seconds while a horde of elf hating monsters tee off on my face and try to drive my race to extinction one elf at a time. But he will reward me with a vast bounty of...the exact same tier four enchantments as I normally get...

This is Gruumsh or Lolth pretending to be Corellion...isn't it...

You sir made me laugh a real lot, probably the only good thing from this disgusting event.
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    demidogz wrote: »
    The restriction of one Invocation gift a day has to go.

The perception we players had that we could obtain more Ardent Coins was supposed to be the main feature of this event, but it ended up being a major letdown due to that restriction.

Yes. I am confused. Finally got one of the special items and it made a noise like my
    clock was reset, but NO Ardent coin... No anything!

I carry 99 Altars around (to save the time of constantly tossing them) WHY do I
    need this oh-so-special God Gift? What is its purpose? Anyone figured out a
    use for it?
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • paladmethiuspaladmethius Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2014
    Either the drop rate for the items that people want (cloak and reset) are set at .0001% of the time, or we are literally chasing a fictitious carrot on a stick. I know of only 1 person to get the cloak, and I have followed instructions (opening 1 box a day) and have yet to get a reset.

this is just stupid.
    This forum set up is absolutely horrible, I cant even figure out how to get my knight of the feywild title.
  • paladmethiuspaladmethius Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 71
    edited February 2014
    two30 wrote: »

If I were designing the event, each challenge would summon a totem-critter that needs to be chased, like the spies in Blackdagger Ruins. Oghma's totem would be a scroll, Silvanus's totem would be a leaf, Moradin's would be a hammer, etc. No "kill 10 random enemies while hopping on one foot". Chase that totem down before it disappears!

I noticed this too, it was extremely uncharacteristic for gods to behave like this.

Corellion, the patient one, god of elves, lover of life, creator god, god of art, warfare, magic and music, lord of The Seldarine, wants you to get the hell beat out of you for 30 seconds and survive.

THE LOVER OF LIFE WANTS YOU TO LOSE HALF YOUR LIFE AND SURVIVE.

Chauntea, goddess of agriculture, cultivated plants, and life, wants you to chug a few potions for no reason.

This event was not only bad, it was lore ****. These are THE GODS, the time of troubles happened and GODS DIED recently, is this really the time to be messing with worshipers in a silly manner? Why not have actual rewards, an actual dungeon or two, and an actual event? Things are supposed to be subtle or big when it comes to deities, this event is neither..I could foresee the lord of neverwinter having a challenge of champions with this BS and handing out this dreck for entertaining him, but GODS?! REALLY?!
    This forum set up is absolutely horrible, I cant even figure out how to get my knight of the feywild title.
  • sinic32sinic32 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    this by FAR is one of the worst events i have ever seen on any mmo i have ever played. The rewards suck for the most part, nothing exciting to look forward to, I completed all task and found real that most are not worth even completing. why in the hell would you make different diety challenges, yet all dietys give the same gift box. Whith that kind of thinking how is this game even still up and running? Hell give me a job ill replace the person that comes up with the boring content/events in return mabey more people will play this game.
  • naicalusnaicalus Member Posts: 645 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    This event is pretty terrible, I've got to say. I have absolutely zero interest in anything, and yeah, total lore fail with Corellon(And half of them, but my DC is sad that the one they came up with for his god makes no sense).

It's something I've done only while doing dailies, and it's bad even there because it wastes my time for some crappy potions. Doubt I'll even get the silly cloak to drop.
    Largely inactive, playing Skyforge as Nai Calus.
    edited February 2014
    obsiddia wrote: »
    Yes. I am confused. Finally got one of the special items and it made a noise like my
    clock was reset, but NO Ardent coin... No anything!

I carry 99 Altars around (to save the time of constantly tossing them) WHY do I
    need this oh-so-special God Gift? What is its purpose? Anyone figured out a
    use for it?

You get the ardent coin when you first open the gift package. The hourglass only resets your cooldown on Invocation.

EDIT: Also, two days and two cloaks on my main. Do not want. :/ I'll take another Invocation Gift over a second cloak.
  • meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    edited February 2014
    Thanks ddaafftt

Now I just hope they fix the Broken Achievement. Otherwise I'm OCD-ing for nothing.

Also a 'Champion of the Gods' character title would be NICE.
  • fauust01fauust01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    meldan3n wrote: »
    I got one cloak out of ~700 boxes. The achievement is broken!

i am at 100 atm long way 2 go it seems
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gvstonergvstoner Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Got the cloak from the first(?) challenge on my TR while running my daily Dread Ring dungeon. Got it near the end, I was about to skip it but thought, meh might as well do it, might get something good.
    Too bad I never play my TR, only for the daily quest.
  • hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Originally Posted by paladmethius

My life and times as a wood elf, and my devotion to good and the god of my fair sylvian race has gotten me noticed and most loved by my fair god, Corellion.

He has but one final show of faith intended for me, I just have to go get the <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> kicked out of me and survive for 30 seconds while a horde of elf hating monsters tee off on my face and try to drive my race to extinction one elf at a time. But he will reward me with a vast bounty of...the exact same tier four enchantments as I normally get...

This is Gruumsh or Lolth pretending to be Corellion...isn't it...

Lawls....That my friends is EPIC!
    Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
    edited February 2014
    Question, does anyone have something positive to say about this event now that it's being going on for a while?

The only positive comments I'm seeing in this thread are from the first couple of days or more recently regarding the joy at getting the gear. Ever since then the only positive comments I'm seeing are rebuttals from players that we should be happy that cryptic made an event at all (or, again, joy at getting gear). Those are invalid, of course, because if you're bored enough in the game that you're happy to get any new content at all (even if it's not good) then that's not liking the event... that's advanced Stockholm Syndrome (gear is an exception, different ailment :3).

I guess what I'm trying to ask is does anyone have anything positive to say that isn't what I just mentioned? Or does this event need to be written off as one of the things we should ask Cryptic to never do again when it's over?
    edited February 2014
    Nothing particularly positive, but I also don't have anything particularly negative to say. Honestly, I could have completely done without the quest, but it's not hurting me for it to be there.

As I said before, it's a nice little sidetrack when I'm doing my dailies, but I haven't really gotten anything worthwhile out of the event. Except some dye packs. I actually really wanted dye packs.
    edited February 2014
    Well, I would guess that Clerics would like the cloak mods. I'll probably let
    my brother open all the boxes, at least til he gets a cloak.

I try hard during events that have: companions, mounts, rare crafting items
    or (even meaningless) Achievements. Prefer achievements with Titles.
    Am bummed that the achievement is broken.

Yeah, if you don't care about the achievements on this one, then just
    play the game and consider the boxes as bonus loot.
    edited February 2014
    ... Does anyone know if there's a Time Limit on opening these boxes?
    Seems like one event had them and one didn't, but I'm not sure.
    edited February 2014
    Since there's no merchant, there's no reason to rush to open them.

Neverwinter Census 2017

edited February 2014
    Well after the end of this "event" I only received 2 of the reset packets, a horde of worthless tier 4 enchants, 1 cape on a character a barely play (which I couldn't transfer to the player I wanted it for) and about 8 dye packs.

This event was flipping horrible. Who ever came up with it needs to apologize and start working on a real challenge of the gods with REAL rewards to give to us next month.
    edited February 2014
    1 cape on a character a barely play (which I couldn't transfer to the player I wanted it for)

If you want a bound thing out of an unbound box, transfer *all* the boxes to the character you want the thing on, and open them until the RNG Gods show you mercy. This is especially simple if you have characters that have boxes yet you want none of the bound things for them. They open no boxes.

Neverwinter Census 2017

• pitirre34prpitirre34pr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Well after the end of this "event" I only received 2 of the reset packets, a horde of worthless tier 4 enchants, 1 cape on a character a barely play (which I couldn't transfer to the player I wanted it for) and about 8 dye packs.

This event was flipping horrible. Who ever came up with it needs to apologize and start working on a real challenge of the gods with REAL rewards to give to us next month.

you can send me those enchants, i like my rp :)
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I liked the rewards, though I'd prefer it if the event would last longer, or be there even permanently. I could not play much on the challenge-weekend.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
This discussion has been closed.