Options

Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Minor points...

1) The Sledding 'Gate Cleared +10' notices are right where I'm
    trying to look. Could you move them up/down and make them smaller?

2) Purple Fishing holes are sad and short. 'Fish got away' and skeletons
    should not be options.

3) Dear God I hate skeletons now. Please make an arena filled with only
    dead anglers tied to stakes so I can repeatedly nuke them. tyvm :)
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    obsiddia wrote: »
    Minor points...

1) The Sledding 'Gate Cleared +10' notices are right where I'm
    trying to look. Could you move them up/down and make them smaller?
    You can move the "Notification Windows" by pressing Escape and then Rearrange UI.
  • Options
    beynacbeynac Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Does anyone know what the Ring of Lights and Winterkill Emblems are for? I know that you need a few of them to level up in Professions, but I have done this and can't find any other use for them.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    At the moment that is all you can use them for , they are adding some new profession tasks on the festival Zenith so maybe the new tasks will use them.
  • Options
    beynacbeynac Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    At the moment that is all you can use them for , they are adding some new profession tasks on the festival Zenith so maybe the new tasks will use them.

Thanks. That seems likely.
  • Options
    msrebel1972msrebel1972 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    obsiddia wrote: »
    3) Dear God I hate skeletons now. Please make an arena filled with only
    dead anglers tied to stakes so I can repeatedly nuke them. tyvm :)
    So much this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    zebular wrote: »
    You can move the "Notification Windows" by pressing Escape and then Rearrange UI.

I'm not actually sure that works for this, unless the gate messages are different from lore/loot rolls and the like. I changed the position of that whole message block for my halfling wiz, but she still sees the gate messages in the middle of the screen.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Is this a separate windows because I have moved the normal notification to the side but the slalom gate messages still is in the middle. I'm not home to check this myself.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    suzz56suzz56 Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    so that green flame stuff is what is causing the lag so bad, the first few days I had no lag at all and now it is like a slide show for monsters on ice. And I guess my ranger shots?

Plus I feel really guilty I am a ranger and I win or come in 3 rd at worse almost every time, and it is only cause I can hit a bunch even lagged to a slide show.

As soon as I get the fawn I am quitting this event.

First the lag on monsters on ice now.

Second the dumb hole timers and skeletons, plus to really win you need to use lure and having to open up the inventory every time is dumb cause just as you activate it, the hole goes dead, the skeleton pops or some jerk slides into the way and you end up looking at him. So much wasted time. If there is a way to activate the lures with out opening the inventory I would appreciate the info.

And then I just don't understand the race, I win or come in close most of the time but why I am not sure, I can do it perfect and get a low score, do it crappy and get a high score and but if I hit the bonus things everything is fine. Also the windows popping up during the race sucks big time. Also lag is coming into play in the races now too. Is there something that causes slow down along the way? The last one I ran my horse just ran slow and it is a purple mount. And my frame rate was ok yet.

I would enjoy the thing a lot more if it was just not so grindy, I am going to get the fawn on one character. Because I just don't have time to play more then an hour or two a day. Well I have been doing three of the series or so a day. And I have a little over 2200 of the things but if I was not playing the ranger I would have given up a long time ago.

But mainly I came on here to see if anyone else was having the horrible lag, I just put in a new video card and thought maybe it was going bad since the first few days I had no problems at all.
  • Options
    xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    suzz56 wrote: »
    But mainly I came on here to see if anyone else was having the horrible lag, I just put in a new video card and thought maybe it was going bad since the first few days I had no problems at all.
    yes and no.

As you said in the start of your post, the ranger thorn ward causes horrible lag when there are 10-15 of them at the front of the monsters on ice area. If I stay there...yes. So I never stay there, I move towards the back where there are generally none of these stupid things and I am lag free again.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • Options
    philmanpwphilmanpw Member Posts: 30 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    For some reason the lag has gotten much worse these past few days for the monsters on ice area. My FPS drops to 3-4 when I zone into the monsters area now. I see all these big green explosion type of things all over the ice now and that seems to be causing it but not sure what those are or why they wont go away. Even at the back of the ice it is just horrible anymore.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    xelliz wrote: »
    yes and no.

As you said in the start of your post, the ranger thorn ward causes horrible lag when there are 10-15 of them at the front of the monsters on ice area. If I stay there...yes. So I never stay there, I move towards the back where there are generally none of these stupid things and I am lag free again.

Are you talking about those green flame things?

I didn't know till I read some posts that maybe I was causing the lag, but I had none when I started. And the lag starts way before I do anything , as soon as I enter the instance. I do not use any thorn wards and if those green things are seismic shots where are they coming from because they are already there when you enter the instance (before anyone else is there either). I don't use any dailies and mostly just use the two basic first shots ( since I am still leveling ) and a root and the rain of arrows. So I guess I am not doing anything to cause anything.
  • Options
    eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    philmanpw wrote: »
    For some reason the lag has gotten much worse these past few days for the monsters on ice area. My FPS drops to 3-4 when I zone into the monsters area now. I see all these big green explosion type of things all over the ice now and that seems to be causing it but not sure what those are or why they wont go away. Even at the back of the ice it is just horrible anymore.

Those would be the Ranger's Seismic Shot effect that has been "fixed" by Cryptic twice already.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    philmanpw wrote: »

My fps are not quite that bad but way worse than my fancy new card should be producing. Maybe it is the green flame things and people are talking about seismic shots , if that is what they are who is doing it and like you said why wont they go away?
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Those would be the Ranger's Seismic Shot effect that has been "fixed" by Cryptic twice already.

That is a daily so how often could they be being done, I never do them, and I never see any other rangers doing them either. So they are supposed to be fixed as in make them go away. Where have you seen this talked about? I would like to read it.
  • Options
    rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    After doing all the events for a few days now, this is my current verdict on the Winter event till the Eclipse or whatever its called.

Environment/Area: 8.5/10; Easily laid out. Event areas all nicely placed around a central hub. The snowy village feel is enchanting. The whatever easter egg spot, which I really have no interest in; but is a nice touch for others. I actually like the ice/less friction/sliding icey areas. I did prefer the less instance oriented events though for midsummer.

Events:
    Fishing - 1/10; so mind numbingly boring. Picking flowers and killin mobs during the midsummer festival was +5 on this one. That's all I have to say about this. But again I like the icey area so I gave it a 1.

The Race - 6.5/10; I like this event but wish the track had more obstacles or like hidden passages or something more than the on the rail feel. It is fun just sliding at 300% speed boost though, and trying to drift. Also just getting as many people as you can to start all at the same time and slide/race all over is entertaining.

MoI - 7/10; Like this event the most. Maybe because I like attempting to gather the entire map (I know you cant cause of mob tethering). I also find it funny trying (successfully) soloing the big boss spawns; while at the same time blasting all the smaller mobs over and over as they spawn while still battling the big dude. As a GWF/melee I have less complaints about this than others. Ive placed in top 3 each time trying it, but its likely due to me being in less populated zones or playing during off peak time periods.

Rewards: Pending 9/10; Anytime they offer us events for "free" mounts/companions I appreciate it. Its also not complete RNG like the CTA events; I am guaranteed these items or 1 of as long as I put a allotted amount of time in. There is no chance of me grinding for 20 days and not receiving. Even if its just green quality; its fun just to collect them (or farm if you're into that). Both the Mimic/Fawn made this a 9 instead of my Midsummer rating of 8. Both look cool and seem like they'll be somewhat functional at least in the solo pve environment. For just logging in all 20 days (which I do w/o an event) I get the mimic, I can not argue with that. The fawn/deer mount farm is still undecided and pending till I see the 2nd part of the event. Need to see if they make LoS truly easier to acquire or just less grindy in general. If they do this sufficiently then my rating of 9 will stay. If its terrible grind still and no true acceleration for LoS, itll drop.

Overall: 7/10 (but this largely ignores the mind numbingly fish grind which plays an integral part of the whole event, if I truly truly rated this including the fishing itd drop to a 5/6)
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    I'm not actually sure that works for this, unless the gate messages are different from lore/loot rolls and the like. I changed the position of that whole message block for my halfling wiz, but she still sees the gate messages in the middle of the screen.
    xelliz wrote: »
    Is this a separate windows because I have moved the normal notification to the side but the slalom gate messages still is in the middle. I'm not home to check this myself.
    . . . . . Yeah, there are two Notification windows you can move. One is called "Normal Notifications" and I forget the other one off hand but I believe it has "Notification" in its name. One is a small slim rectangle and the other is a larger rectangle. I moved them both to the same place, on the left of my screen, with the larger one on the top and the smaller one just under it.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    That is weird about the notification window. I moved the one, as I got tired of the admin messages, to the top right next to the mini map. All the gate notifications when I do the race show up in the same spot as the admin messages now so nothing shows in the middle of my screen.

I took a break from the event. Just do the dailies there right now. I want to get the axes but I might just save up for the fawn and be done with it. But will wait for the Zenith start up to see if I get anything else
  • Options
    gamerx9999gamerx9999 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    love it :)
  • Options
    mehguy138mehguy138 Member Posts: 1,803 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Environment/Area: 8.5/10

I'd say it's 10/10. That area is by far the most beautiful place in the whole game. I wish there were a lot more things to do, some quests that give you nothing but fun and knowledge about the universe, some more places to explore. So much space and potential of that wonderful area is wasted.
    M6 almost drains your soul given how boring it is. (c) joocycuzzzzzz
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . Yeah, there are two Notification windows you can move. One is called "Normal Notifications" and I forget the other one off hand but I believe it has "Notification" in its name. One is a small slim rectangle and the other is a larger rectangle. I moved them both to the same place, on the left of my screen, with the larger one on the top and the smaller one just under it.
    rhoric wrote: »
    That is weird about the notification window. I moved the one, as I got tired of the admin messages, to the top right next to the mini map. All the gate notifications when I do the race show up in the same spot as the admin messages now so nothing shows in the middle of my screen.

I took a break from the event. Just do the dailies there right now. I want to get the axes but I might just save up for the fawn and be done with it. But will wait for the Zenith start up to see if I get anything else

. . . . . Here's a screenshot of my UI set-up. As you see, I have both "Normal Notifications" and "Notification Windows" on the left of my screen, just to the right of my Mini-map. The only time notifications still appear in the center of my screen is when I am in a vendor. It seems that the UI has a third hidden notification window that is only used when in a Vendor or NPC dialog.

. . . . . Events still appear in the center of my screen, no matter what. However, the race gate notifications do appear in one of the two Notification Windows that are movable, for I run the race a lot and they appear next to my Mini-Map.

. . . . . Click the image for full-view.

attachment.php?attachmentid=12001&stc=1
  • Options
    aznxknightzaznxknightz Member Posts: 114 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't mind the fawn being expensive, or cheap in some people's cases. But I don't like the rate of gaining the lights. You know what would help?
    How about monsters dropping lights in the monsters on ice zone?
    What about random light spawns during the twilight race?
    Seems like fishing is the ONLY event that gives extra lights and that unfortunately is the most boring event in there. Just press f for 12 minutes and hope you win, because it's so random. Sometimes even with bait you get only 300 points. And sometimes you can get 500 without it. Could be the amount of players in the instance but again, it's just random.

It's nice that we can also get lights outside of the festival area, like in skill nodes and monster drops, but the rate is abysmal. Like out of 20 kills you get one and you can fight for 5 minutes and only get 5 to 10.

Only those who are really dedicated to this event will get the goodies in the area, mainly the prized possession fawn, and some festival weapons. I'll keep the math short. If you play for 2 hours straight doing the events, out of 3 events if you get in first place all the time for 1 event and last place for the other 2, it would take 16+ days to get a Fawn. Quite ridiculous if i might say so. As for the festival weapon? You can forget about it, it's an either or situation as some players in chat have quit once they reached half way. I don't blame them.

I really hope there will be more methods to gain lights, like how the midsummer festival was towards the end of the event. I hope we get things like:
    1. New task in simril crafting: gather simril lights.
    2. Trade in extra star of fortunes for simril lights.
    3. Possibly trade in winterkill emblems and ring of lights for simril lights. Not as much but these items are generally worthless after you rank up to 3. A total waste of space and if i can recall, cannot be sold or discarded. Gives us another reason to do the twilight race and monsters on ice events rather than sit there all day and press f during and out of the fishing contest.
    4. Double event: all simril gained, no matter the method, will be counted double.
    5. Any of the two methods I suggested at the top.

Come on cryptic, give us something from that list, we don't want to blow our brains out trying to get that delicious fawn.
  • Options
    twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited December 2013
    I really hope there will be more methods to gain lights, like how the midsummer festival was towards the end of the event.
    The in-game calendar lists the Winter Festical Zenith running for the last week of the event, so assuming you'll have enough time to play during that time any grinding beyond daily star of fortunes and crafting you're doing right now is very inefficient grinding.
  • Options
    harl3qharl3q Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    From http://nw.perfectworld.com/news/?p=1065631:
    Also be on the lookout for contests that appear once every hour where you can earn extra items.

What am I missing? I'm pretty much living here every night to try and earn points for that fawn and haven't noticed Hourly announcement.
  • Options
    darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think the biggest problem with the grind is the activities daily - the one that rewards you for participating in all 3 events - only gives you 5 lights of Simril.

In the 5 minutes it takes you to run a Twilight Run race and kill 10 monsters on ice, you probably could have just fished up 10 Durgrace = 5 lights, as well as purses and other fish.

Sometimes I have a strong urge to hit the "Decline" button when I go to turn in that daily, because the paltry award annoys me so much.
  • Options
    denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    harl3q wrote: »

What am I missing? I'm pretty much living here every night to try and earn points for that fawn and haven't noticed Hourly announcement.

That refers to the Twilight Run, Monsters on Ice, and Ice Fishing events. Each of which pops approximately once each hour.
  • Options
    harl3qharl3q Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    oh. time flies I guess. I figured it was something else besides those 3. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    harl3q wrote: »

That refers to the Twilight Run, Monsters on Ice, and Ice Fishing events. Each of which pops approximately once each hour.
    . . . . . They actually happen every 20 minutes in the Winter Festival Zone; they last 15 minutes each, with a 5 minute intermission. Each individual one does happen once an hour, but their is three different ones that happen every 20 minutes: Twilight Run, Fishing Event, and Monsters on Ice. They appear in the Home Page events when in the zone and also above your quest tracker as an event bar, like other events and Dungeon Delve chest.
  • Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Come on cryptic, give us something from that list, we don't want to blow our brains out trying to get that delicious fawn.

Just leveled it to twenty yesterday. I still need to get some better gear on it, but so far I wasn't too impressed. It seemed like the CD did a better job keeping me up. We'll see what some better gear brings.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . I just hope they make a way to get more Stars as there isn't enough days to get both the Sled Mount and the Mimic. It would be nice to actually ride the Sled DURING the event and still get the mimic. I don't care to ride the sled out of the Event, but it would be nice to at least use it during the event and not have to worry about not being able to get the Mimic.