test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• jonandre1jonandre1 Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Meh. I'm not happy with any of the rewards, so just not going to bother with this event. I _liked_ the Masquerade; at least it had some spiffy dyes to give out.
    Lovely overview :)

The fishing hole lights thing was fixed in the last patch I believe.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    jonandre1 wrote: »
    Meh. I'm not happy with any of the rewards, so just not going to bother with this event. I _liked_ the Masquerade; at least it had some spiffy dyes to give out.

I was just thinking that it is weird that no dye has been included in the Christmas event , I was expecting maybe Green/red/white dye pack or something along those lines , would make a perfect low level reward , maybe 40-50 stars .
  • anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    really less than an hour REALLY i spent 4 hours yesterday fishing and doing monsters on ice and at the end of the 4 hours i have 34 yes 34 lights
    sorry for grammar spelling punctuation but i am dyslexic i do my best sorry if it offends you
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The difference between this and midsummer is, as you said, you got "pigs". You have to farm for approximately twenty hours for each fawn, whereas it took only a few hours of farming to get a pig. And it was possible to get much closer to the pig just by logging in and doing the daily quests each day, whereas the reward for completing the daily quests in winter festival is much less as a percentage of the required amount of tokens for a companion. Looking in the AH, the lowest price for a fawn is 900k AD, and less than a dozen available. Pigs were about 100k-200k at the beginning, and fell to 20-30k for months after the event. Fawns will likely hover around 1M-2M for months due to the difficulty of obtaining it.

As for the argument that I have no one to blame but myself to try to farm it continuously, first of all, why would I? It's stupid the way they want us to grind, and let's be honest, only a very small percentage of people are going to be able to grind for a single fawn. It's highly inaccessible, trollishly high priced, and this game keeps moving towards this direction with each new patch such as their change to enchantments that has raised the cost of enchantments for 90% of the population (400K AD rank 8 silveries anyone?)
    I think your memory is a little bit faulty, but I do get your point. It definitely did not take me just a few hours to get "close" to getting a pig. Pigs actually started about 300k but then dropped fairly rapidly. I know because I kept looking from the start and bought one. :P I earned two pigs and bought three pigs off the AH, because the grind of getting the pigs (on top of wanting the clothes) wore me out. Also, part of why there were so many pigs was because at the mid-point of the Festival they doubled up the petal rewards. They're likely to do something like that again for this one. Calender says they're doing something at mid-point (increasing rewards).

The pig wasn't, imo, all that awesome a companion to have summoned, it was just cute. Hence it also wasn't as valuable for that reason. I have a feeling the Fawn, by the end of the Festival, will be closer to 400-500k average. It is, after all, only green and while its healing capabilities seem great, making it more useful than the pig, there's the cost of upgrading it to get the most from it and that's likely to dampen down most potential buyers, making the price drop. But of course I don't have a crystal ball so I could be wrong. ;)

At any rate, if you don't want to grind for something, that's perfectly fine/reasonable. But it's also a bit of a sour grape situation to gripe too much about it, since it is perfectly attainable to get at least one without spending 5 hours for 20 days. Unless, as mOnstrz said above, you have to leave town and can't log in for a while to get the Mimic star currency or something.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My only problem with the event is the sinister nature of the Dwarves of the village.

I mean, there is a massive number of dead anglers for just one small village. Far too many to be just unlucky accidents. And, the truly observant might notice, none of the dead anglers are dwarves.

There is something dark and sinister going on in that lake. :p
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It does make you wonder, doesn't it? ;) Thieves and poachers, the lot of them, I bet. Or just darn dirty elves....
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I've revised my assessment of the Winter Festival. I have only a couple problems with it now:-
    1) I would like it to run a lot longer perhaps all the way until the last calender day of Winter. This is a blatant plead. As addicted as I am to computer games, they don't take priority at certain times. First week of December through Christmas until my birthday in early January, other things take more time!
    2) The midsummer festival was, errr, not great. Piddled about for one day in it. Never went back. Winter festival much better, though would have preferred full on Christmas things.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've certainly uttered my share of expletives whilst fishing, mostly at those obnoxious skeletons that interupt you. I'm at 757/3200 for the fawn, which I do want for my hunter, and then **** fishing!
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    runes2001 wrote: »
    Kristin and Mattlin at From Bad to Worse Gaming preliminary overview of the winter festival
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSNlJdX8DV0
    As a bonus Mattlin's slow drive into insanity with fishing in 'WTFishquske'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwbQfPN5KuA

Happy holidays

the problem with a video review shot on the first day of the festival is it becomes quickly outdated considering there were two patches implemented in the following days which fixed issues they discussed. you'd have to make a "video retraction" to correct your reporting if you were going to follow the ethics of journalism... although these days "true journalism" is highly questionable.

they also failed to mention (or if they did, i failed to "catch" it) with their "32 hours" of fish grinding to acquire the fawn, that the event lasts 20 days which is much longer than the masquerade event that they had previously reviewed.

i've also merged this thread with the other winter festival feedback thread. :)
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    My only problem with the event is the sinister nature of the Dwarves of the village.

I mean, there is a massive number of dead anglers for just one small village. Far too many to be just unlucky accidents. And, the truly observant might notice, none of the dead anglers are dwarves.

There is something dark and sinister going on in that lake. :p

good to know i wasn't the only person to catch that vibe. i would love to see this area re-used off-season (or put into the foundry maps for UGC!!) for some dark sinister plot. hmm...
  • endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Gonna try and get something. I don't get alot of time to play. The fawn is cute. Can I do with a couple hours evry other day?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The one and only time I took part in the fishing contest, I was leading by 35 points and then 5 seconds before the end some ******* with 150 points more appeared out of nowhere and stole my first place.

That was the first and the last time.

As for the event being 20 days, I have maybe 280 lights today. Do the math.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    endocin wrote: »
    Gonna try and get something. I don't get alot of time to play. The fawn is cute. Can I do with a couple hours evry other day?

Its perfectly doable. Assuming you start today, and assuming the festival height doubles the rewards, as before. You would only need to gather 150 lights per day. (giving you 300 lights, per day on the final week) that would give you a total of 3450, so more then enough.

This is something that will actually get easier over time as well. Finding a low population instance, will help in placing gold or silver in the events. 3 gold wins is 135 lights for 3 15 minute events. Even if you place silver that 75 lights for all 3 events.
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    endocin wrote: »

If you do the events and get top 5 in them as well as fishing between them then you should easily get enough to buy the Fawn by the end of the event , especially if the Zenith makes more stars drop.
  • m0nstrzm0nstrz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I already have my fawn, it took about 2 1/2 days..

First off getting lights is a long grind, but there are some tricks on getting more quicker. Here are some tips for anyone working on getting lights;

1. Fishing is Key (first thing first max level your Simril profession and get an epic fishing pole) (btw having a distraction when fishing always makes the grind less painful(i.e. Netflix, youtube, etc.))

2. Compete in EVERY event. If you can compete on off hours when less people are playing.

3. Know which events you can win and those you can't. If you cannot win the even JUST QUALIFY, the lowest lights I've gotten when playing a event is 9 lights (and all I did was kill one monster on monsters on ice event). Get a rank and then go back to fishing.

4. Competing in low pop instances is an easy way to win events. ;)

This should help you make better use of your time when grinding your lights. Good Luck.
  • frywellfrywell Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Overall, I like the event and the activities. The only issue I have with the event (as many have pointed out) is that the rewards are too expensive and therefore too exclusive. This shouldn't ever be the case in an event in which you participate every day. The fawn (so cute) takes a lot of grinding, and is completely impossible to get on multiple characters (and I have 6 that I play actively - 1 of each class) unless you play the game as a full-time job. Well, not the game, but the winter festival itself, which leaves you with no time to actually, you know, play the game. I am sorely disappointed by the amount of grind required to get even one reward, so I might as well not do it on any my chars bar one, which is a shame, as it could've been a fun diversion from other in-game activities.
  • rortierortie Member Posts: 178 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Either items cheaper (maybe won't happen or the people who already paid full price will complain) or even gets extended. Either would work for me. But otherwise, yeah, it's too exclusive.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Young people....." - Erik Lehnsherr
  • hiddenfatehiddenfate Banned Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Before I start let me say this. Yes I know you can get lights from the sword coast, yes I know you can get lights by just playing the game normally, I'll cover that.

My problem is that there is no reliable way to get lights that is actually fun.

Now I will back that statement up.

Fighting Monsters on Ice:

Fun concept, like how the monsters slip and slide around and miss 95% of their attacks on me. Then I shoot them in the back (and I choose to believe it lands firmly in the back of their head).

Unreliable way to get lights, you can only get it in the event and only as a CW or an HR, if you're any other class...well...get a kill and go fish. You'll get a few lights from the kill and fishing will be the best way to supplement the rest (because without a string of good AoE attacks you aren't going to score in the top 15 let alone the top 5).

Suggestion:
    Take the event part, make it the little cherry on top, and give players light drops from killing the monsters outside of the event and inside as well. You don't have to make it a 99.999% chance but even a 15-25% chance is better than nothing. It gives us a reason to be out there, you don't get ANYTHING if you kill a monster outside of that event.

Racing:

This is fun and if you don't think so you're wrong. I don't care if it's subjective, your opinion is wrong. :cool:

Same problem as before, unreliable because you're competing against people with better mounts. Better mounts can get in between races far faster and I'm pretty sure they run parts of the race faster as well. So if you're lower than level 20, you're not getting in the top 15 bracket (let alone top 5). You also can't get lights out of what is inarguably (yes I'm still going on about that) the most fun part of this event.

Suggestion:
    Either make races grant you 1% of your total score in lights or make the sacks of gold/silver give you lights when you pick them up. If there was even a chance of getting lights outside of the event I would spend every day from now until the 18th on the race track.

Side Commentary:
    did I mention this one is fun :o

Fishing:

It's the most reliable and fastest way to get lights once you have a purple rod and a backup of purple bait......I can't think of any more pros to give it.

The entirety of it is spamming F and watching TV (looking away every so often to kill the skeleton that has inevitably spawned and decided to annoy you).

Suggestion:
    Literally anything would be better. If you won't scrap fishing and just let us kill a bunch of mutant fish for drops we can turn in for lights (who I choose to believe will look like a dracolich mated with an aboleth, nerd joke sorry) at least do something about the skeletons. Make it so that when you kill a skeleton you get a certain number of lights. That way botters will still be massacred by them (which I assume is the original skeleton purpose because I can't think of any other one that makes sense) and players won't feel so annoyed by them. It's the only way I can see to justify the fact (and mitigate the irritation caused by the fact) that I was ambushed by 3 skeletons at once while trying to fish for a bit. Also put something USEFUL in those god awful bags. The only thing I think of when I get a bag is a stronger version of "Darn".

Swords of the Coast Adventures

I personally find this fun though I could see why others wouldn't. You kinda have to like D&D to like this.

Still, lights are a random drop out of many others and if your companions run out of stamina it's back to spamming F while watching TV or youtube for a while.

Suggestion:
    I can't think of any, seeing as the drop list kind of has to contain most of the items from the event to make sense there's no way to change it up without <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> someone else over.

Playing the Game Normally

Well it's definitely more fu...wait why am I explaining the pros of playing the game?

The drop rate is abysmal. I played through my Sharandar and Dread Ring dailies yesterday and got a grand total of 4 lights. I played through both today and got nothing. There's far too much in the drop list already to the point that farming lights like that is not going to work. you'll get the fawn by next year maybe but not by next month.

Suggestion:
    Well, not much here either. Except making an event for the main areas that replaces gold drops with a chance at light drops for half an hour. That gives people who have multiple level 60 characters a chance to do their daily quests without having to sacrifice the fawn (which must be had because it is adorable).

Those are my complaints and suggestions wrapped up. And if you're not having fun racing, you're evil.

Side note: I'm not whining because I don't have a fawn...that'd be impossible because I already have a fawn (yes I have that little of a life). I'm just saying that I'd rather be grinding the lights and having fun than just grinding the lights. Is it crazy to want to have your cake and eat it? (seriously what else are you going to do with it? Throw it at someone?)
  • griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited December 2013
    I like the event. It's good, but trying to get the fawn results in way too much grind. And if you have multiple alts ...
  • bajornorbertbajornorbert Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 272 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You can get lights as drops from any mob, i've got a few of them while doing dailies in Dread Ring. It just has a very low drop rate, prob around 1-2% or i just have bad luck with them.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    First ... love the dialogue. Well written.

Second ... disagree on the fishing. I actually like it. Better than the monsters, worse than the race (of course).

Third ... racing is fun.

Fourth ... I am absolutely loving the Sword Coast Adventures. Huge DnD fan, and this is just tickling me in the right way. It does feel a bit shallow at the moment, though. I know they kept it simple, but they could definitely add more rewards (mounts, companions, even special companion-only equipment, etc). It makes all your pets useful, and has a lot of promise on a very solid design base.

Fifth ... I would pay money to have a Sword Coast Adventure on my Kindle Fire HD. It would be totally worth it to me.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
    edited December 2013
    You can get lights as drops from any mob, i've got a few of them while doing dailies in Dread Ring. It just has a very low drop rate, prob around 1-2% or i just have bad luck with them.

you can also get lights from skill kits. i've had a few drop from there.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    NEW EVENT
    Skelly_Fire.jpg
    Set the Angry Anglers on fire than watch them chase you sliding in circles across the ice until they are all ash!!! :eek:
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I had a game going the other evening where I and the others in the Zone would type stuff we'd "caught" into chat to amuse ourselves while fishing. Like [Meaning of Life], or [Lucky Angler], or [Over Nine Thousand Brown Bream]. That was fun.

Also, just saying: It is possible to do really well in the Monsters event without being a CW/HR. I went in on my DC the other day, running with BotS/Lance of Faith/Break the Spirit/Healing Word/Chains/Flamestrike, and I took 1st while also keeping everyone around me alive. It was epic. I don't expect it to happen for me again, but hey, if it happened once that means it's possible....
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • ordensmarschallordensmarschall Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1,060 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    The Festival has some decent parts to it and some that are not so exciting. The Fishing event is boring, plain and simple. The Monsters on Ice is fun the first few times because of the ice, but otherwise a reskinning of the Summer Festival fight. The Fortune-telling is a neat twist. What I really like is the Twilight Run race. That is rather fun to do. A racing feature could be incorporated full time, I would do that a couple times per week. None of the items that can be bought for Simiril lights interest me all that much, even the weapon transmutes. Some of them like nice especially the Symbol, the Orb, and the Shield, but I won't worry if I don't get them. The scarves I might be interested in as a fashion item but not a transmute for a cloak or necklace. Even the faun doesn't interest me all that much(too cutesie). The only thing I'm really interested is the Ice Mimic. I'll be happy if I get out of the event with just that.

I really like the design of the village of Twilight Tor, that is really well done. That is the sort of village my character could retire to.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hmmm, have you guys been up to the strange temple thingy up on the hill??? There is definetly something going on in that "Peacefull Town" ... Huh, Where have we heard THAT on before??? ...

Strange, almost sinister Altar on the top of a dark hill? A 'Sled Race' in a Rock Canyon, with stone/concrete barricades randomly scattered about, no safety bumper against running into the solid stone walls ... Wind gusts that inexplicably speed you up just before you fly over a 30ft CLIFF straight down onto solid ice?... Not to mention all those Skeletons, oh and all those assorted pouches, purses and bags UNDER the frozen lake ... And don't even get me started on why Trolls and Rimefire Golems seem to want to visit the place every half hour or so ...

Just a peace loving little village? ... Yeah right! ... o.0
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    i still think the price of the stuff in the event needs to come down or much higher drop rates for lights there is no way with christamss i have the time to grind 3000 lights for a dear pet i wanted the weapon skins too but getting 1 or 2 lights is just plain boring its ok for lev 60 geared people to say oh i did it in 2 1/2 days but there are allot of noobs like me that just find this off putting. It seem almost like this event is for the elite and select few. You get ignore for groups for monsters so you have to solo so you die allot i got through 20 HP potions in one event. its a shame you have a good and addictive game you just need to sort out you economy things in this game cost WAY to much and im including real money in this too... not that you will listen but ill try anyway lol
    sorry for grammar spelling punctuation but i am dyslexic i do my best sorry if it offends you
  • devaneiodevaneio Member Posts: 142 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Great event, super fun.
    My only nuisance is the boring craft of lights.
  • mestremaxmestremax Member Posts: 43
    edited December 2013
    This is wonderful!
    The event is perfect!
    I have a lot of fun!
    These are phrases that would never be uttered by a player who is not an addict/Zombie/No-life/... .

Things about the event.
    • The event time is good.
    • Low rate drops from [Light of Simril] off the map event.
    • After you upgrade the profession items [Ring of Lights] and [Winterkill Emblem] become useless, which could be used to achieve more [Light of Simril] but only serve to occupy more spaces of useless.
    • Skeletons only serve to make the more boring than it already is annoying not having any usefulness in the progress of the event.
    • The race, I confess that I found pretty cool at first but after going over and over is already very annoying, also would be nice if during the race event along with bags of points appear too bags of [Light of Simril] to be collected.
    • I would like to say something about the big boss of the event "Ice Monster" but never killed and I never saw him being killed, you need a group to kill him however it is best to solo event because of the deaths caused by group mates not count in the progress of the event.

There are still many days to the end of the event and changes that pleases the players will be very welcome at any time. [May be now]