Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• runebanerunebane Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    mestremax wrote: »
    This is wonderful!
    The event is perfect!
    I have a lot of fun!
    These are phrases that would never be uttered by a player who is not an addict/Zombie/No-life/... .

Strongly disagree with this. You don't have to grind much of the event unless you want to. It goes on for 20 days. That's plenty of time to mess with it a little each day and get what you want. The only ones I've seen complaining are those trying to either get the prize right away in the first couple days. Or those trying to grind until they can get the most expensive prize multiple times.

That said, they'll likely adjust the event anyway. Just like they did with the last one.
    Halgarth's Legacy - NWS-DSTGFZHFR
  • overddriveoverddrive Member Posts: 722 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    One last redo of my opinion of this event: The patching was incredibly irritating and I really hope that in the future those kinds of exploits are prevented rather than cured, but overall the festival is good.

People are complaining about fishing being a grind....I can honestly say that I have never seen as much socialization, non-hostile zone banter, and in general the community just chilling and having fun together in a relatively low intensity environment. Is the "fawnage" STILL going on? Aka the word game that spontaneously arose in zone chat that attempts to incorporate the word "fawn" into as many uses as possible.

One thing NWO did not have before (and I'm not sure it was ever needed but it is good) is that kind of brain-dead "pogo" type gaming where you can just have fun with your fellow players. I would really like to see this continued in some form like a zone where there are just an array of simple parlor games.
    PanzerJäger HR Hybrid
    Jugger Conq GF
  • xellizxelliz Member Posts: 955 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    runebane wrote: »
    Strongly disagree with this. You don't have to grind much of the event unless you want to. It goes on for 20 days. That's plenty of time to mess with it a little each day and get what you want. The only ones I've seen complaining are those trying to either get the prize right away in the first couple days. Or those trying to grind until they can get the most expensive prize multiple times.
    Personally I hate to agree with you, because I want to the fawn on all my chars, but I'm not gonna grind 3200 light for 7 chars. The price on some of the most expensive stuff isn't completely out of range for causal players, its just high so you can't have 10 without any effort.
    Foundry - Fight Club? (nw-dluqbofu7)
    - JailBreak (in development)
  • fredeqxfredeqx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hello everyone,

I am kinda new to this game, level 38 here.

I just found about this event and really wanted to get mimic companion, so cool! But it seems I started 3 hrs too late, 16days 21hrs left of the event.
    Any chance I can get extra star from somewhere? Any chance for doubled rewards later on? Very sad to miss rewward by 3 hrs :(
  • obsiddiaobsiddia Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,025 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thank you for the Winter Festival! It's lovely to look at and fun to play. :)

Really minor fishing tweaks:
    I'd suggest that the Purple fishing hole not have 'fish got away' at all
    (I've gotten that almost every time), and that it last more than 2 casts.
    Also, maybe 3 tournament points for killing the skeleton?
    Did you really think anyone could steal the power of the god of thieves?
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    overddrive wrote: »
    One last redo of my opinion of this event: The patching was incredibly irritating and I really hope that in the future those kinds of exploits are prevented rather than cured, but overall the festival is good.

To be fair, I can see why they didn't catch it in testing; it would not have occurred to me to attempt the behavior that allowed for the exploit in question, so I would have missed it too if it had been me. Considering the high numbers of crashes and patch downtime in the first couple days of the festival, I kinda hope that together it adds up to enough missed time that they'll add an extra day to it, if only so I can fish a little longer. ;)
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    fredeqx wrote: »
    I just found about this event and really wanted to get mimic companion, so cool! But it seems I started 3 hrs too late, 16days 21hrs left of the event.
    Any chance I can get extra star from somewhere? Any chance for doubled rewards later on? Very sad to miss rewward by 3 hrs :(
    I doubt they'll double the star reward mid-festival - altho this is just conjecture since they didn't double the mount tokens for mid-summer festival - but who knows. They might do something like being able to turn in a whole lot of Lights for an extra star or some such like that. I wouldn't count on it, but you can hope.

Other than that ... with all the people with oodles of alts who are likely going to get a mimic per alt, resulting in a glut of initial Mimic's for sale, I'd guess the only other option would be to buy one from the auction house once the price dips somewhat.
  • fredeqxfredeqx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Thank you for response mrspuma. Hope dies last :)
  • j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just wanted to drop that I enjoy my time at the event!

The new ice-physics is great fun and my F key is rubbed off already. Rewards are expensive, but since this is a yearly event it might not be meant to gather all items the first time.
  • deaththroedeaththroe Member Posts: 136 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Ok so we get:

Star of Fortune - Used to purchase Mimic companion and other things

Light of Simril - Used to purchase Fawn companion and other things

Winterkill Emblem - Get it from Monsters on Ice but have yet to find a vendor that takes them.

Ring of Lights - Get it from crafting, SCA but have yet to find a vendor that redeems them.

I might be wrong and if so I have no problem admitting it but I don't know what to do with these. They are being collected in my inventory as would be seals but I have yet to find any use for them.
    10PM CST

• rollingonitrollingonit Member Posts: 1,322 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The emblem and lights are for the profession/crafting, "fishing". I hope they let me trade some of those in for los or stars at the end though, cause once you get your profression/crafting done there is no vendor like you said.
    We can pretend.
    Fox Stevenson - Sandblast
    Oh Wonder - Without You

Do not go gentle into that good night.
    Rage, rage against the dying of the light.
    - Dylan Thomas
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I'm starting a rumor:

You need 100 Ring of Lights to purchase a snowball in the next Winter Fest phase!!! ;)
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It would certainly be nice if there was some use for those emblems and ring of lights at some point, for anyone who runs a lot of the contests and amasses a lot of them. I'd suspect (but don't know...) that there probably will be - new crafting tasks or exchanging them for Lights of S. or some such.
  • lionmaruu0lionmaruu0 Member Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    loved the run, liked the monsters on ice, loved the fishing, but hated the fact that you have to fish all day for 3 or more days to get anything worth, the lights should have better drops from other instances mob.

overall I liked the event very much, but it should be nicer with a instanced mini dungeon with some chance for more lights and maybe some loot. Hope they add something like that in the next event or even on next year winter event.
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    A lot of work goes into these zones. It would be very nice if they were given a more permanent status, small and short quest line, level-independent lair and skirmish, and their own unique reward.

As many have pointed out, this area has a lot of suspicious occurances that could be monopolized into a short thriller quest to find out why all the skeletons are on the lake bed. The zone itself wouldn't have to be changed much (maybe remove the party lights and move the sage and whatnot), and would be available again next year for a more 'festive' event.

Same for the summer festival. A nice map that many of us enjoyed being in, and would love to see a lair and it's own little quest story there.

All your doing with this is opening the door, slowly and surely, for more content and using the environments the art team's already designed to their fullest potential.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • kallex76kallex76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I don't understand the plan here. After you craft the purple fishing rod I see no use for Winterkill Emblems and Ring of Lights.

Let us turn them in for Lights of Simril or something, with 18 days left there are gonna be a lot of these just collecting dust.
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1z5p5cw.jpg

This... is ridiculous. I still have about 7 pages to go through this thread to see if there are any complaints, but this right here really helps to kill monsters on ice in many instances, especailly when even the back zones are dotted with them. I thought HRs were supposed to be nature friendly? XD

Everything else does feel way to grindy right now. But I'll have a better synopsis on my reflection of the event as a whole when its closer to the end.
    contents to be decided
    edited December 2013
    kallex76 wrote: »
    I don't understand the plan here. After you craft the purple fishing rod I see no use for Winterkill Emblems and Ring of Lights.

Let us turn them in for Lights of Simril or something, with 18 days left there are gonna be a lot of these just collecting dust.

There's one zone that we don't really use yet, and that's the graveyard where the dwarven priest is. Something tells me these items will come into play with him, especially the shield.
    contents to be decided
    edited December 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    This... is ridiculous. I still have about 7 pages to go through this thread to see if there are any complaints, but this right here really helps to kill monsters on ice in many instances, especailly when even the back zones are dotted with them. I thought HRs were supposed to be nature friendly? XD

Agreed. I figured out that the game briefly slows to 1-3 fps for me at times because HRs' encounters are so much more effects-heavy than a lot of other classes', but Seismic Shot is what makes the game unplayable when I'm stuck in a zone that has more than 2 bugged instances of it. All I can manage half the time in Monsters is to get the 10 kills for the daily while trying to survive the slideshow, then get out ASAP before I die of lag. I can only really participate in it if I'm in a low-HR-population instance. I wish they could fix that bug. D:

Interesting fact: the bugged instances of Seismic Shot are coded as an allied entity, which means they mess up stealthed Deft Strike -- you can teleport to a Seismic Shot fountain when you're really trying to teleport to the enemy behind it.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    . . . . . .I'm really enjoying the event, especially the race! The race is my favorite of the three events, so very fun! I love the constellations and all the wonderful lore and history, as this latter is truly my most favorite thing about the Winter Fest, for sure!

. . . . . .My only gripe about it is how there isn't enough days of the festival to gain both the Mimic and the Sled from the Star vendor. I don't see myself riding the Sled outside of the Winter Fest, but it would be nice to use it during the Winter Festival. Yet, if I want the Mimic, I need to skip the Sled all-together and just save the Stars for the companion. Hopefully the Winter Zenith will alleviate that as well as the Light grind for the horse mount, weapons and fawn. I'm especially happy that not everything is Bind on Pickup! Thanks very much for bringing back more Bind on Equip to the events! Hope this becomes a trend, indeed!
    edited December 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    Interesting fact: the bugged instances of Seismic Shot are coded as an allied entity, which means they mess up stealthed Deft Strike -- you can teleport to a Seismic Shot fountain when you're really trying to teleport to the enemy behind it.

Noticed that. I think I might have a screen shot showing said invisible person amidst the blaze. The Jagged blade is similar, in that the companion is really an invisible halfling that is having identity issues =P.

edit (not really): found the image. Granted, I'm fairly sure it something everyone can see, but I do assume this is what you're talking about?
    zoftl.jpg
    contents to be decided
  • nwnghostnwnghost Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I wish the festival area could be used more, other than as a transit.

For example:
    Professions could craft some festive foods/nibbles (low buff, short duration) which the player can obtain a daily quest for to interact with NPCs in the event area to spread some festive spirit (almost like masquerade event)
    More lore or daily story telling by NPCs (not just the horoscope)
    NPC entertainers, similar to masquerade event
  • poisoncloudpoisoncloud Member Posts: 489 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Isn't it bugged Thorn Ward rather? And yes it tends to outstay alot in this zone.
    edited December 2013
    Isn't it bugged Thorn Ward rather? And yes it tends to outstay alot in this zone.

It could be that both are bugged. I know the one syka posted is Seismic, but I've seen a leafy-looking one that tends to stay for an inordinate amount of time as well.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i was looking for some history on the town and thought this forgotten realms lore on marthammor duin was pretty interesting:

http://www.nj-pbem.com/data/Gods/dwarvengods/Marthammor.htm
    edited December 2013
    I would love it if Marthammor Duin were a deity we could pick at character creation. I have a notion of a dwarf magician who would totally be one of his devotees if it were possible.
  • blowchunksblowchunks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 81
    edited December 2013
    Not gonna ramble too long about the Winter Event... just a few things I want to share and get off my chest.

1. Love the zone....if I had a wish, it would be to make the zone real, and be able to live in it... minus the big baddies of course. :) Kudos and much respect to the designers and creators of the zone.

2. The insane amounts needed to purchase anything for this event. I have 10 characters, and not a lot of time to play them all, as I have a life outside the game. That being said, it looks like only 1 of my characters is going to get the fawn.... which does not impress me.

3. This leads on from point 2. Why are the rewards so **** low? Did you guys design this to intentionally get on the collective nerves of the entire community? How about bumping the rewards up a bit?

Nuff said. Peace. :p
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    11539184006_62fc298744_b.jpg
    leaping spiders!

11539061305_3fa5db1b7b_b.jpg
    i'm gonna make it, i'm gonna make it, i'm gonna make it... i'm not gonna make it.

11539036785_3798f1eef4_b.jpg
    this is halloween this is halloween... halloween... halloween?

11539059865_7cf8aaa83b_b.jpg
    ice... slippy.
  • tedebearnctedebearnc Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    When I get anywhere along the rocks that border the Monsters on Ice event area from the campfire by the gate down to the first two ice fishing holes next to the wall I experience a huge drop in fps. I'm normally getting in the upper 40s to mid-50's but along that section of the rocks it drops down to the upper teens to low 20s. If I move along the rocks past the first two fishing holes my fps recovers. If move away from the rocks out to the other set of fishing holes in that area it also recovers. It's just that small section of the rocks that's causing it to drop. It doesn't matter which direction I'm facing or if I'm looking up or down.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've pretty much had to abandon running MoI except for the dailies due to the Seismic Shot issue.

Oh, as far as the character models in that shot. A lot of effects seem to use a generic humanoid as their hit box? with a different visible skin. Shard of the Endless Avalanche when viewed from a distance has legs, so do Blue Fire Eyes. If you use Ray of Frost on those infernal rifts in the Path of Torment, they gain frozen legs. So that's a completely separate issue from the S Shot bug.

Otherwise, I wish the rewards for stuff were higher or the costs lower. The summer event felt a lot less grindy and it also had more stuff I wanted. Except for getting an ice orb for my newer CW, I really don't care that much about getting anything from the Simril vendor. It's too expensive for what it offers. If I decided to go for a fawn or whatever, it's be on that same CW as she's the only one that's bothered with the crafting at all. Way too much micromanaging with the gathering tasks.

It looks pretty and the ideas behind the contests are fun. Occurred to me that it's the most Redneck Christmas ever though, nothing but racing, fishing and hunting - and deer, of course. If only Slaver Lord Malacath from Night Raid would show up, as he's a dead ringer for Ric Flair.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother