What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• Options
    mithrosnomoremithrosnomore Member Posts: 693 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I only read the first page, so I may repeat what others have said, but these are my own thoughts and if others have them, then maybe that means something.

1) Twilight Run- I am actually pretty decent at this, having placed first multiple times with only a basic mount. That being said, it's really about the bonuses and making the rally gates.

Hitting every slalom gate = 250 points. Hitting every rally gate in time = 400 points. It's really no contest.

I have put in a perfect run once, but that wasn't during the actual event (who has time to wait for the race results when you have to run, run, run to earn points?) and ultimately isn't even a goal any more.
    It simply isn't worth risking losing 100 points because you spent an extra second or three here or there making sure that you picked up 10 points.

That perfect run didn't even award any extra points.

+++++++++++++

Would rather the event be about who hit the most slalom gates and then who hit them in the fastest time.
    Even if that meant having different divisions based on foot or mounted, or even splitting up the mounts into three different categories.

There could even be a better reward for the top categories. People with a purple mount could try for better rewards as a result fo them having spent the money on the better mount. Not a huge difference, but maybe make the top prize for foot be 35 lights, 40 for a basic mount, 45 for a blue mount, and 50 for a purple mount.

Also, and this is going to be repeated.... The drop of from tier to tier is pretty steep.
    For people that get started late or that have a bad run, or, sadly, are on foot only, it is probably better for them to run once to get on the board and then go fishing.

===================

2) Monsters on Ice - I am playing a hunter-ranger. I feel bad for the melee toons here. I can reach out and deal some damage as the wizards are pushing and pulling the monsters here and there, but I can not imagine the frustration of a melee character as they try to chase down monsters.

I usually wait this one out a little bit. I'll go grab a few fish after the twilight run or switch characters to start the ones that I am not playing on professions or whatever.

After a few minutes have passed I will go in and get on the board. At that same time I can gauge my performance; I can look at the board and see what my little bit of fighting got me and figure out if I have a shot at the silver bracket.

If yes, then I can stick it out a little longer, if not, then back to fishing I go.

+++++++++++++

The one big thing that I wouldn't mind seeing here is for the monsters to drop stuff.

Not gold or gear or anything, but event stuff; Citrines, light pods, light motes, light clusters, even fishing lures and lights of Simril.

If you are going to end up in the copper bracket, it just doesn't make sense to spend the time here fighting.
    Go in, get on the board, go fishing.

Yeah, the more people that do that then the greater the likelihood of someone being able to finish in the silver bracket, but you are still talking about a very limited number of slots available.

======================

3) Fishing - Ah, yes. Fishing.

Far and away the best way to earn lights. You can earn lights during the fishing event, and you can earn them when the fishing event isn't running.
    If you place well during the event you get a decent bonus, but everyone will get some bonus, and you earn the lights all the while anyway, which is the whole purpose of this stuff.

The skeletons are irritating, sure, but at least they, along with holes closing up, break up the monotony a little.

++++++++++++

It's just a pet peeve, but I really hate when someone decides to sit right on the hole, or jump in front of my character when there is plenty of room around the hole for them to go to one side.

Really? I hate that your life is so empty that all you have is to provide some little inconveniece to a total stranger trying to play the same game that you are, but it isn't cute and it doesn't make you some sort of "bad boy". It makes you a jerk.

I am not talking about going to a hole that someone else is at. The holes are there for everyone. Nothing wrong with anyone going to any hole that they want to go to, whether someone else is there or not, and no matter how many holes they ran past to get there.

I am just talking about people that needlessly create a situation where other players will end up right-clicking on their character when they are trying to just click on the hole.

=========================

I am not going to comment too much on the pricing because the zenith may change things a great deal. I have thus far managed to earn a respectable amount of lights while also taking time away from the event to get out into the zones and play through the game, but I also know that I have more time to play than many do.

I do not think that there is anything wrong with the game telling players that they will have to spend more than just the minimum amount of time participating in the event to get the top tier of rewards, but even then, the minimum participation will still get a player either the mimic or the sled.

And not getting the horse is not a big deal. It's just a basic mount with a slightly different skin. I mean, it's a horse. You can get a horse for 5G.
    I'll admit that I like that horse; I like that look, but it's just a horse.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Since this is a concern, I'm gonna post the movesets I'm using for my GF and TR in Monsters on Ice to see if they help other people getting frustrated with it. They've been successful for me so far.

TR:
    Bloodbath + Courage Breaker
    Shadow Strike + Deft Strike + Impact Shot
    Duelist's Flurry + Cloud of Steel

Courage Breaker is good for when you finally get up close to a troll/golem, but Bloodbath is more helpful since it lets you follow enemies. All the encounters can be used from range (use Shadow Strike judiciously and you can do more damage because of stealth). Duelist's Flurry will follow enemies once you get the flurry part to activate, so it's best to use Deft Strike or Bloodbath to get close to something then wallop it with Duelist's Flurry. I don't make top scores with this loadout because I lag too much due to Seismic Shot glitch, but at least I can actually hit stuff.

GF:
    Villain's Menace + Terrifying Impact
    Frontline Surge + Griffon's Wrath + Anvil of Doom
    Cleave + Threatening Rush

You can use Mark sometimes to make enemies come to you instead of chasing them down. Terrifying Impact and Frontline Surge both have a good bit of range to them. I use Villain's Menace as mobs slide past me to catch them with the damage, then use Threatening Rush to get close to them and swat them around. I like Griffon's Wrath because it has multiple charges in case I miss, and Anvil of Doom for the damage. You could drop either one for Lunging Strike, though, which is great for its range if you have it up to rank III. I've finished in first place using this loadout when in a low-lag instance.

Hope this helps ya'll get some ideas.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    sianekasianeka Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My sister and I disagree over the voice actor for the Winter Festival Astrologer. Hawthidorn or Razzad? Please identify your voice actors, we really are curious! (I love Hawthidorn's voice!)

I'd love to see a cast list!
  • Options
    sominatorsominator Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Hey all, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Winter Festival. We're looking through these!
    Proud member of Team Fencebane, official guild of the unofficial Neverwinter Adventure Hour!
  • Options
    j0shi82j0shi82 Member Posts: 622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Just a friendly reminder to everyone that during the Winter Festival's Zenith Simril-Rewards will probably get doubled. So stash away your fish and trade them in later.
  • Options
    cheesegromitcheesegromit Member Posts: 540 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    1) Twilight Run

Would rather the event be about who hit the most slalom gates and then who hit them in the fastest time.
    Even if that meant having different divisions based on foot or mounted, or even splitting up the mounts into three different categories.
    I would have preferred this to be time based as well, with penalties for missed gates. Regarding mount speed difference, I was a little disappointed we had to go on foot or use an existing mount. I think it could/would have been more interesting if everyone used a sled, that way mount speed differences would not be an issue. I don't know if the games code supports a temporary mount for such and event though.
    2) Monsters on Ice

The one big thing that I wouldn't mind seeing here is for the monsters to drop stuff.

Not gold or gear or anything, but event stuff; Citrines, light pods, light motes, light clusters, even fishing lures and lights of Simril.
    This I also agree with, and I think the same should apply to the skeletons in fishing. As it stands the skeletons rate as my biggest annoyance with the event. They're not hard to kill, but serve no purpose other then to interupt and spoil.

Having the monsters drop lights would mean another alternative to fishing, for farming. Considering the monotony of fishing (I was doing sudoku on my phone the other day whilst pushing F at the audio cues), variety would be a good thing IMO.
  • Options
    xxmantaraxxxxmantaraxx Member Posts: 362 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Having the monsters drop lights would mean another alternative to fishing for farming. Considering the monotony of fishing (I was doing suduko on my phone the other day whilst pushing F at the audio queues), variety would be a good thing IMO.

I agree completely. I love ll the events but only do them to break things up because the reward isnt near as high as fishing.I would love a reason to go back and ice skate with monsters again.

side note:
    I bound F to my mouse1 W to mouse2 and attack to mouse3. With this setup I watched movies with my wife and kid while still fishing. I could adjust my position if i got thrown by a skelly, kill it and then get back to the hole and fish all with one hand and half an eye on the game :P

Ara Atheanes GWF
    Traxus Atheanes GF
    Bastiel Atheanes DC
    Ellara Atheanes CW
    Keira Atheanes TR
    Sarasin Atheanes SW
    Jerkface McGee HR
    -MANTARA- OP

• Options
    charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This whole event sucks, as it is not balanced at all.

1-MONSTERS ON ICE
    For this event all damage for any level character should all be the same. This gives anyone of any level a fair chance to be in the top spot. The snipe to win feature being used by rangers/clerics/mages...but mostly rangers makes the event a win win for them. Especially if they are high level with great damage. IF you want to vary damage do it but not by much. STO's snowball fight is like this, and require special weapons you have to buy, which are easy to get. They are only meant for the winter event, so people save them...which means more zen spent for bank/inventory slots.

2-RACE
    The race should be limited to a set speed. No bonuses, it will make the contest become closer for all in points and even one or two gates you get could be the thing that makes or breaks your winning. I would also change the fact of the bags. Having gold/silver/bronse ones. And the fact you can only get one of each and need a set before you can get another gold. The fact the gold are always in the middle does not offer a challenge to players with superfast mounts and speed bonuses on them. Having watched a level 3 mount with a player with tons of movement bonuses leave me in the dust like the flash goes to show just how unbalanced the race is.
    I've run the race on foot and you get a specific point area...with a mount a good one its much higher.

3-FISHING
    This is probably the most balanced area of the game. It is based upon luck, and yes it does have a few spoilers in it. Like if you get a skeleton angler you can lure them to other people making them not able to fish and can throw the contest for some.
    Yet there is a way around that, by just having skeletons pop out of every hole so everyone has to fight them as part of the event.

In the end festivals are suppose to be for all characters of all levels, and like a reward saying thank you for playing. Not just for 60th level characters. I've been a game programmer and since these events are held on their own servers I know the code can be written to make it more balanced and fair to all.
    Is the point of the festival to show off your high level, super toon? or to have fun and reward anyone who likes the game and thank them for playing?
    To me it feels like its show off your super toon.

60's should have more advantages than the level 5 that just started. Who knows if the level 5 will be here next week where the vet thats been here since beta will probably still be here and honestly should get a bigger reward.
  • Options
    markfalconemarkfalcone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 4
    edited December 2013
    WANTED: A way to use up/convert in batches all of these extra tokens like the light motes, shields, and light balls into Lights of Simril. Would make it easier for those of us with multiple alts to get things like fawns, but wouldn't necessarily be easy. I'm guessing a new Professions thing.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    WANTED: A way to use up/convert in batches all of these extra tokens like the light motes, shields, and light balls into Lights of Simril. Would make it easier for those of us with multiple alts to get things like fawns, but wouldn't necessarily be easy. I'm guessing a new Professions thing.

I believe new tasks will be added at the festival "zenith" that's coming up next week - maybe it'll include mass tasks as well...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    Lag is the pain for me. Ice monsters is worst. I do ok but annoying. I only get a hr or two on the days I can play. Not gonna get enough simrils or stars. :( but keep trying. If I can get all the next days I'll be one star short. I hope they increase it abit. I do like the area and the graphics work they did.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    endocin wrote: »
    Lag is the pain for me. Ice monsters is worst. I do ok but annoying. I only get a hr or two on the days I can play. Not gonna get enough simrils or stars. :( but keep trying. If I can get all the next days I'll be one star short. I hope they increase it abit. I do like the area and the graphics work they did.

They need to resolve the issue w/ HR's seismic shot persisting, and that'll help a lot w/ the lag...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    twitticlestwitticles Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 92
    edited December 2013
    1-MONSTERS ON ICE
    For this event all damage for any level character should all be the same. This gives anyone of any level a fair chance to be in the top spot. The snipe to win feature being used by rangers/clerics/mages...but mostly rangers makes the event a win win for them.

There's no "snipe to win" for these mobs, whomever has dealt the largest amount of damage to each mob when it dies is awarded the kill, not whomever lands the killing blow. Lots of people play the event apparently focusing on last hitting, which is easily taken advantage of by people like me who know that's not how it works. Smack a mob down to under 50%, then leave it be for someone else (if there are others nearby) to finish it off while you get the kill score.
    That being said, events such as these are very heavily skewed towards ranged AoE classes, on my CW I regularly score twice as many points as the second place on the scoreboard without working especially hard fo it.
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    twitticles wrote: »
    There's no "snipe to win" for these mobs, whomever has dealt the largest amount of damage to each mob when it dies is awarded the kill, not whomever lands the killing blow. Lots of people play the event apparently focusing on last hitting, which is easily taken advantage of by people like me who know that's not how it works. Smack a mob down to under 50%, then leave it be for someone else (if there are others nearby) to finish it off while you get the kill score.
    That being said, events such as these are very heavily skewed towards ranged AoE classes, on my CW I regularly score twice as many points as the second place on the scoreboard without working especially hard fo it.

Actually you are only half right. That works on the mobs that are only worth 1 point. Like the gobbies. However the other mobs are worth more then 1 point. In those cases the points get divided based on percentage of damage done. This becomes more obvious on the larger elite and boss mobs. Its also why they are really not worth going after. You need a group to kill them quick, and the group will share the points.
  • Options
    griffin230griffin230 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 88
    edited December 2013
    This whole event sucks, as it is not balanced at all.

1-MONSTERS ON ICE
    For this event all damage for any level character should all be the same. This gives anyone of any level a fair chance to be in the top spot. The snipe to win feature being used by rangers/clerics/mages...but mostly rangers makes the event a win win for them. Especially if they are high level with great damage.

I think the Monsters on Ice event seems to favour the CWs the most. On my wiz, I had a score of 513 out of 12 people playing and the next highest was like 400.
  • Options
    endocinendocin Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 204 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I pull a bunch, fight and a CW nukes.. I get a fair score but not even close. I did win once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bendalekbendalek Member Posts: 1,983 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i had a smart GWF, who, along with my HR, found a spot equidistant from several spawn points and we camped on it for several runs of MoI ... We sea sawed back and forth for first place repeatedly, my HR would grab aggro and pull the mob in and get a few kills on the adds, but the GWF was getting most of the "Big" kills ...
    Is it finally a T5/U/T6 KDF Science Ship?
    tacofangs wrote: »
    Nope, just a McKrenim Happy Meal toy.
    IMPERIAL AUSMONAUTS - STO Klingon & Rom-Klink Fleet.

My%20STO%20Sig%20Clear_zpsb3deonfo.png
  • Options
    khalith01khalith01 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    sominator wrote: »
    Hey all, thanks for sharing your thoughts about the Winter Festival. We're looking through these!

Thanks for the official response! Glad to see the thread stayed on track. I only have one major feedback to leave though outside of what I already mentioned in the first post.

Please turn back fishing to how it was on Day 1! It was infinitely better than the way it is now. No worries about fighting, didn't have to run back and forth between despawning pools, got to sit there and look around the zone while fishing and chatting with my guild/friends. It was relaxing and pleasant, after the change I stopped enjoying it.
  • Options
    rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You do realize that the way fishing is right now was how it was setup on day 1. Something happened to break it hence why it was fixed and is the way it is.

My issue is twilight race. Sometimes you get hit with a bug while on your mount that slows you down and have to dismount. Otherwise I am having fun. You would figure the sled would have more control on the ice since it moves on blades.
  • Options
    khalith01khalith01 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    rhoric wrote: »
    You do realize that the way fishing is right now was how it was setup on day 1. Something happened to break it hence why it was fixed and is the way it is.

Yes I am aware of that. I am saying and will continue to say, it was better in the "broken" state, the change or fix or whatever you want to call it made it worse. I felt fishing with how it was (no random mobs, no despawning pools, no random quality pools) was absolutely perfect and in no way needed to be altered even slightly. If fishing is kept in the game I want it to be that way, not in the current state it is now.
  • Options
    alexsarrufalexsarruf Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    This event is a long grind, Cryptic believe that everyone plays just one character, but... surprise! theres character slots for sell in the cash shop! Right now i have 4 characters, after grinding for 1 fawn, wich take me 5 days, i was exhausted, i will try to get another for a future druid (if they ever came ) but i don't know if i have the heart for that.

The final morale is, that fawn is so hard and rare to get, that i dont know which my characters will have it, probably the HR, for thematic reasons.

I started play NWO in middle of Summer event, and even not having time i was able to get some goods. Now i fear for the next Summer event its become a Winter event.

Sorry for the bad english.
  • Options
    mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Sleds are fun!

NWO-0199b.jpg

....although I see no need for more than one chr. to have it. My main gets a sled+mimic (from an alt), the rest will be going for the Mimic.
  • Options
    faelinnefaelinne Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    60's should have more advantages than the level 5 that just started. Who knows if the level 5 will be here next week where the vet thats been here since beta will probably still be here and honestly should get a bigger reward.

I kind of agree with both of you; tigercatgirl has a good point in that the Monsters on Ice is very difficult for lower level players, and you have a good point in that level 60 players should get bigger rewards. It would have been cool if there were maybe three different lakes with recommended levels: Easy lake (lvl 1-20), Intermediate lake (lvl 21-40), and Difficult lake (lvl 41-60). The rewards could be set up to discourage higher level players from participating in the Monsters on Ice contest on the "Easy" lake while making the goal of winning the contest attainable for lower level players; which would encourage lower level players to continue leveling up to get the better prizes and still allow vets to get the bigger rewards.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Actually the monsters have no level. They use Cryptics scaling tech. A level 10 player can damage a baddie as much as a level 60 player. In fact, its been tested that the scaling actually favors the lower level player. They get a significant boost to damage, for simply being a lower level player.

Why it seems level 60 players end up doing better. Is something that cant be scaled. They have access to a wider array of powers and abilities. They often have better gear. And generally have more experience playing their class. These factors, seem to be what gives a level 60 the deciding edge over all.
  • Options
    abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Actually the monsters have no level. They use Cryptics scaling tech. A level 10 player can damage a baddie as much as a level 60 player. In fact, its been tested that the scaling actually favors the lower level player. They get a significant boost to damage, for simply being a lower level player.

Why it seems level 60 players end up doing better. Is something that cant be scaled. They have access to a wider array of powers and abilities. They often have better gear. And generally have more experience playing their class. These factors, seem to be what gives a level 60 the deciding edge over all.

Someone explained once that they scale to your level, not to your gear, which explains why my then-level 37 CW was getting mauled by midsummer kobolds in her level-25 gear. Since level 60's are more likely to have purple gear, they have a slight edge over low-level characters, but low-level characters do also get a better boost as was stated before.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited December 2013
    abell39 wrote: »
    Someone explained once that they scale to your level, not to your gear, which explains why my then-level 37 CW was getting mauled by midsummer kobolds in her level-25 gear. Since level 60's are more likely to have purple gear, they have a slight edge over low-level characters, but low-level characters do also get a better boost as was stated before.
    . . . . . Indeed, the mobs scale to individual player level, not their gear. If you run in on a poorly geared character, expect to have a rough time. Always wear gear near one's level when fighting scaling mobs. You can buy green (and at level 10 you can buy blue one time, after that it's green again) gear at various levels from the NPC vendors in the Seven Suns Coster Market in Protector's Enclave. I always outfit my lowbies in NPC gear as close to their level as I can before taking them out to fight anything.
  • Options
    lpsxlpsx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 138 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    like event.

no Yetis 2 kill :-(
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    lpsx wrote: »
    like event.

no Yetis 2 kill :-(

If you look closely. On the twilight run, at the 2nd rally check point, in the cave. There is a dark cave with a bunch of glowing eyes peeking out. I really felt Cryptic missed a chance to have a random Yeti jump out at you from there.

They should of added a few random goblin snipers to unhorse ya as well, for added fun. :D