test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Winter Festival Feedback/Thoughts

Comments

• ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Monster on Ice

A real hoot especially on my CW, but not a lot of use once you get what you need for crafting.

Twilight Run

Not my thing, only did it enough to get what I needed for crafting

Fishing

I see days and days of this in my future! Well Done!

Questions and Comments

My main issue is the fact that they aren't selling the token on the Tradebar Guy like they did for Summer event, very depressing that I will only be able to get the sled or the mimic. I strongly suggest putting them on the Tradebar Guy.

Yay for mailbox in zone, only issue is it wasn't marked on the map so I had to stumble across it.

Really wish there was a need for the event rewards (beyond the light pods) once you have finished your crafting.

The fawn thing might be a good pet, but I wish it had just been done as an augment pet like the cat since it has no attacks.

Zone is awesome, wish there were a few indoor areas like an inn, or even just open doors to wander in and out of buildings. Love the Telescope and the whole night sky effect.

I hope to be surprised when the second part activates, but for now beyond fishing its all ok but meh.

Did I mention......Really need to add the tokens to the Tradebar Guy so I can get both items !!!!
  • imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    My main issue is the fact that they aren't selling the token on the Tradebar Guy like they did for Summer event, very depressing that I will only be able to get the sled or the mimic. I strongly suggest putting them on the Tradebar Guy.

The Mimic is BoE so I'm just using an alt to get that so I can mail it to my main and buy the sled on my main so it'll have both for a minutes extra time logging into the alt , you don't even have to do anything more than the telescope quest to get the daily token.
  • ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    The Mimic is BoE so I'm just using an alt to get that so I can mail it to my main and buy the sled on my main so it'll have both for a minutes extra time logging into the alt , you don't even have to do anything more than the telescope quest to get the daily token.

Ahh, I didn't notice that, good to know. Sadly it still doesn't help me, I have 5 characters I play and want them on ALL of them, along with the Fawn. No way I am going to be able to do it though since I don't have enough time to earn 3200 x5 unless there is a dramatic change when the high holiday part starts.

Fawn is neat but the price is a little ridiculous, maybe if it was an augment pet, but as a standard its kind of silly.
  • sylvarilesylvarile Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The games themselves are pretty fun;

Monsters on Ice: It seems to scale, as a low-level Cleric I have absolutely no way of competing against pretty much anyone else, but I can avoid dying and gaining the Winterkill thingy and a pittance of Simril is generally easy.

Twilight Run: Again; fun when not doing it for Simril...which I need for the overpriced pet, but I happen to own an older computer which starts to lag heavily when more people hit the track, making it virtually impossible to get a decent time. Also my mount doesn't seem to get half of the speed boosts as well as randomly getting stuck in logs, d**m derpy horse :(

Fishing!: Fishing is fun! The skellies are annoying but they affect enough people that players band together and dispatch them quickly. I enjoy the fact that I can increase my score through my own time and effort with the new profession (epic fishing rods are not overpowered when anyone can get them lol). Like many others I would love to see it make it's way into the game permanently with more fishy surprises to reel in.

The pets are overpriced though, I am really new so I didn't have the same instant "oh, green level items should be way cheaper than that!" response, but I've been grinding for I think 6 hours? Maybe less... and all I have is 350 Simril. I would need to grind for hours, everyday, to get this pet and it simply isn't a good return on my time. Either the price or the Simril rewards need to increase. I know you get them from normal mobs, but max I got is 5 Simril from 2 dungeons, which is pathetic and that's ok since it got me interested in the event itself, but the rewards from the holiday zone need to be way better.

NEW THOUGHT: For the fortune star thing, as far as I can tell you can get it roughly 2 times a day. Can't it be changed to you have 2 timeslots to get it? As in the counter would just reset every 12 hours and you could get one before AND immediately after, instead of having to basically destroy your sleeping schedule if you want a chance to get the maximum amount of stars. I know you can "reset" it every other day so you can get 2 stars, one when you wake up and one before you go to bed, but that seems like way too much effort especially when combined with the grind required for the fawn >.<
  • lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    The race: Fun. Need more of them, in various zones, with competitions to boot. Should NOT be entirely reliant on having a purple mount. The sliding and whatnot is actually quite fun, and if you were to add this permanently to other zones, different weather affects would be great. As the op said, more hazards and pitfalls, and maybe even a secret path or two.

The fishing: I'm loving it. I fully recommend picking flowers and fishing in every zone that will support them, as well as permanent mini-professions. This should be more than an event.

The 'monsters on ice': One simple suggestion: Make firing a projectile push you in the opposite direction from your target. Give a little bit of hinderance to the ranged classes for balance. Otherwise, I don't want this to be a full-time option, personally. Having fun with it now, and will have fun again next year.

Crafting: We need new mini-professions. Cooking and harvesting would be my suggestions. Going along with what we've seen in the winter and summer festivals. And as the op said, shorter CD mechanisms are a plus, but they also can get very annoying. It is nice to receive more instantaneous rewards, so building your own weapon handles or collecting your own ore should be in the game to allow players to do the same crafting tasks, but quicker (and with maybe a mini-game involved).
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    The 'monsters on ice': One simple suggestion: Make firing a projectile push you in the opposite direction from your target. Give a little bit of hinderance to the ranged classes for balance. Otherwise, I don't want this to be a full-time option, personally. Having fun with it now, and will have fun again next year.

How would this possibly make sense. Since when do emissions of divine and magical energy, and arrows shot from a bow, have kickback. If anything, some melee weapon users should be facing more difficulties due to the momentum of weapon swings when on ice.

In any case, so far as I recall, melee classes have some pretty good movement abilities that should zip them around quite easily. I know my melee characters do anyway.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sylvarile wrote: »
    NEW THOUGHT: For the fortune star thing, as far as I can tell you can get it roughly 2 times a day. Can't it be changed to you have 2 timeslots to get it? As in the counter would just reset every 12 hours and you could get one before AND immediately after, instead of having to basically destroy your sleeping schedule if you want a chance to get the maximum amount of stars. I know you can "reset" it every other day so you can get 2 stars, one when you wake up and one before you go to bed, but that seems like way too much effort especially when combined with the grind required for the fawn >.<

It's one per day. Daily quests reset at the same time for everyone (3am pst, iirc), so whatever you're seeing for cooldown time is simply how far you are from that reset.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • darwinsdogactualdarwinsdogactual Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Some people are saying in game that there will be other items available for Winterkill Emblems and Rings of light. Does anyone know if this is true? I would love to do something with all of the extras I'm accumulating.
  • valwrynvalwryn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,620 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    edited December 2013
    Some people are saying in game that there will be other items available for Winterkill Emblems and Rings of light. Does anyone know if this is true? I would love to do something with all of the extras I'm accumulating.

In the zenith description it says that more scarves and crafting options will be available so maybe/hopefully they will be useful for something else.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I just love the festival so much. It's every bit as silly and awesome as the Midsummer festival but different and unique in its own way. I can't pick which one I like more because I love them both. :D

I do hope the zenith substantially increases light rewards, though, otherwise it's gonna be impossible to obtain a fawn for anyone other than my DC. I played an uncharacteristically long amount of time off-and-on all day yesterday and still only managed to get ~400 lights for her; if I have to cut back to the just 1-2 hours of playtime per day that I can normally manage, I'm not going to be able to do it.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • m0nstrzm0nstrz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Did the maintenance reset the star timers?
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    m0nstrz wrote: »
    Did the maintenance reset the star timers?

The timers have always been 24hours. Nothing changed.
  • katbozejziemikatbozejziemi Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07bRsMSvdY

I wonder if this will be a thing later.
  • khimera906khimera906 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 898 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I think that's a glitch, I have seen similar things happen with one of my characters and also in the slalom sometimes I can't gain any speed beyond my mount's regular running speed.
    I hate dancing with Lady Luck. She always steps on my toes.
  • abell39abell39 Member Posts: 1,175 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W07bRsMSvdY

I wonder if this will be a thing later.

Could be, but otherwise I think it's just for fun. There's another ramp near the gate for Monsters on Ice. I had fun with a friend last night seeing who could fly the farthest off either ramp. :D
    I think they're Easter eggs, certainly not glitches.

Khimera: When that happens, quickly dismount and mount again. The glitch seems to occur at random and only while mounted. Dismounting and remounting resets it.
    Kerensa Loreweaver, level 60 DC | Rilla Turtledove, level 60 CW | Calvin Meriwether, level 60 TR
    Kaylee Krankenwagen, level 60 GF | Tavandruil Wayfinder, level 49 GWF | Aldith Langley, level 51 HR
  • thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I finally got enough simrils to buy both the main hand and off hand weapons for my main. After 3 days of farming for simrils I feel tired of the event already. I usually get weapons for each of my alts during events like this but it just takes too long to get that many simrils.

I don't remember the summer even being that difficult to get event coins. I hope they introduce another way for getting simrils faster. I can't imagine saving enough to buy the fawn or the horse after getting the weapons. 3200 simrils. Wow!

I don't think I have it in me to run a couple more hundred races. It's too bad because the event is really well made and really fun but it feels too grindy.

I think I'm done with the event for now.
  • darkstarcrashdarkstarcrash Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,382 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    thorak257 wrote: »

I don't remember the summer even being that difficult to get event coins. I hope they introduce another way for getting simrils faster. I can't imagine saving enough to buy the fawn or the horse after getting the weapons. 3200 simrils. Wow!

The problem with the Winter Festival compared to the Midsummer Festival is these dailies only give you a total of 7(!) simril, while the Midsummer dailies gave you 155 fireblossom petals (that might be the accelerated amount, even half of that is over 75 tokens).

Unless they really increase the simrils from dailies, this is going to be an impossible grind for multiple alts.
  • thorak257thorak257 Member Posts: 125 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Also, during the summer festival we could farm petals and trade them in at 1 to 5 ration. The winter festival has fishing but fish trade at 1 to 10 ratio and its a lot more of a hassle to fish compared to picking flowers. Fishing is such a hassle between the skelies and the fishing holes freezing over after only a few attempts at fishing.
  • lionelcharronlionelcharron Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The event feel so much like a winter-grind-festival instead of a winter-festival. Only good way to get light is whit fishing (and god knows how bad it is (over few hours of grinding and not even at 1k yet) which actualy make Bot fishing so... valuable. I see so many bot fishing its unbelivable. I say they should check the overall income of simril light to spot easly the Bots... (yea some ppl will really do grind it fairly, but for everyone of those player, there will be 10 bot doing it). Can always participate in events, but saw a few bots actualy entering the different event when they start to score a minimum pts to get the reward... and they also arnt bad at fishing and I see some of them in the top 5. its getting ridiculous.
  • anteonanteon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    i like the weapon skins but 850 lights to buy one is to high it will take forever to grind it as im only getting 2 to 9 lights per event AKA monsters on ice (i find this really fun) but please jack up the light rewards i mean really this is supposed to be a Christmas event

its taking so much work to to get anything that its getting boring im hoping there is enough time to get all that is needed for the mimic pet but i doubt it
    sorry for grammar spelling punctuation but i am dyslexic i do my best sorry if it offends you
  • sammiefightersammiefighter Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Didn't play the previous events, but here overall a good try.
    Biggest problem, poor reward tables / high prices. Or nothing in the "middle" price to buy.

Not that cryptic will listen, but for the limited time events change the challenges more winners: 3 first place, 10 second place, 10+ high bronze, remainder low bronze. Along with higher rewards for bronze/silver. Give the regular users some rewards and not just the exploiters, cheats, account sharers, and indentured servants turned internet farmers.

Also talk to the STO guys they made their professions that generate the rewards this season.
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    It took 5x less time to grind flowers to buy a pig companion than to buy a fawn. I want to vomit from all the fishing I've done. The amount of grinding has increased for the events after midsummer festival, and it's not fun to fish for 20 hours to get enough lights to buy a fawn or enough masquerade tokens for a skeleton.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Like it with one exception.

Please make lures slottable. It is a royal pain to open inventory, find lure, double click, close inventory, fish a couple times, and then the lure runs out and gotta go digging thru inventory again.
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    You know, the event lasts 20 days. The rewards were not meant to be earned over a weekend. You just need to earn a little over 200 lights a day. Over the course of the event and you can get the fawn. That can easily be done with less then an hour a day. And that is not even considering the fact that its a safe bet rewards will be doubled on the last week. Like the previous event.

There is no need to grind away for hours. There is no need to try to get the top rewards in a handful of days. Anyone doing so, and then complaining about the drudgery of it. Really only has themselves to blame.
  • m0nstrzm0nstrz Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    24 hour cooldown on the stars is a bit excessive for some people who can't sign on everyday especially during the holiday season when people have to spend time with their families, which sometimes involves going out of town...
  • mrspumamrspuma Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    You know, the event lasts 20 days. The rewards were not meant to be earned over a weekend. You just need to earn a little over 200 lights a day. Over the course of the event and you can get the fawn. That can easily be done with less then an hour a day. And that is not even considering the fact that its a safe bet rewards will be doubled on the last week. Like the previous event.

There is no need to grind away for hours. There is no need to try to get the top rewards in a handful of days. Anyone doing so, and then complaining about the drudgery of it. Really only has themselves to blame.
    Sockmunkey speaks wisdom.

I do understand that those with a lot of alts (that includes me) who might have been hoping to get a fawn for most of their chrs. might get frustrated, but the Festivals aren't really designed with the multiple-alt player in mind. Pick your reward in the time given. And if you only care about a couple things (eg, 1 scarf and the Fawn, say), then you can either obsessively grind it out to get it over with as fast as possible or you spread it out over the full 20 days.

Purple fishing rod + bait = 150-200+ Lights per hour, more if you get 1-5th place in the fishing contests. Is an hour or two a day too much fishing grind?

I remember the pig in Mid-Summer being a fair grind. A little less, yes, but I think the main difference is mostly that you could herd chickens, pick corn and kill all those little guys to get to the flowers. It was more "active" and movement oriented than just pressing the F key to fish, so felt less grindy. But Mid-Summer was still a grind - I certainly spent a lot of time picking flowers to get pigs and clothes and such. Practically lived in that summer festival zone at the time. :rolleyes:
  • chocobofarmerchocobofarmer Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    The difference between this and midsummer is, as you said, you got "pigs". You have to farm for approximately twenty hours for each fawn, whereas it took only a few hours of farming to get a pig. And it was possible to get much closer to the pig just by logging in and doing the daily quests each day, whereas the reward for completing the daily quests in winter festival is much less as a percentage of the required amount of tokens for a companion. Looking in the AH, the lowest price for a fawn is 900k AD, and less than a dozen available. Pigs were about 100k-200k at the beginning, and fell to 20-30k for months after the event. Fawns will likely hover around 1M-2M for months due to the difficulty of obtaining it.

As for the argument that I have no one to blame but myself to try to farm it continuously, first of all, why would I? It's stupid the way they want us to grind, and let's be honest, only a very small percentage of people are going to be able to grind for a single fawn. It's highly inaccessible, trollishly high priced, and this game keeps moving towards this direction with each new patch such as their change to enchantments that has raised the cost of enchantments for 90% of the population (400K AD rank 8 silveries anyone?)
  • runes2001runes2001 Member Posts: 32
    edited December 2013
    Kristin and Mattlin at From Bad to Worse Gaming preliminary overview of the winter festival
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSNlJdX8DV0
    As a bonus Mattlin's slow drive into insanity with fishing in 'WTFishquske'
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwbQfPN5KuA

Happy holidays
    edited December 2013
    Ahaha that fishing video is exactly how I feel , I'm less than 100 away from my Fawn now then never going back , **** fishing lol