Install Arc
Options

Unkillable GWF ruins pvp

167891012»

Comments

• Options
    ladysylvialadysylvia Member Posts: 946 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    Why you don't write complains about unkillable DCs? Good skilled DC aren't be able to killed 1 vs. 1.
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    sangrine wrote: »
    Tank means ability to absorb and resist damage, not immortality (1v1 or 5v5).
    Killing a tank should be do-able 1v1, but slowly of course.

I stopped playing domination because it's not fun (pathetic game balance) to encounter an unkillable player (especially GWF) in 1v1. It's shocking to me, that so many people here think it is normal if a tank is unkillable in 1v1.

Glad to hear it, less leavers/terrible players and more skilled ones that want to learn is what I want to see anyway =)
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    lobo0084 wrote: »
    In PvE, we fail at that completely. We can take the damage, just not get the aggro.

But in PvP? We are AMAZING tanks. EVERYONE wants to kill us!!! Player aggro is so much more fun.

I would typically agree with this... but I've seen differently in MC and CN with good Sentinel using SLAM etc. It's a play style most GWFs don't like... but they can make EXCELLENT tanks. I wish I can remember the guy I was running MC with. He would aggro every Totemist and keep aggro while we focused on other mobs.

In GG Delves I can hold aggro with my GWF... but I'm not specced completey as a Sentinel tank. So in conclusion... it can be done... but 99% of GWFs won't or are unwilling to play that way.
  • Options
    lobo0084lobo0084 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 663 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    I would typically agree with this... but I've seen differently in MC and CN with good Sentinel using SLAM etc. It's a play style most GWFs don't like... but they can make EXCELLENT tanks. I wish I can remember the guy I was running MC with. He would aggro every Totemist and keep aggro while we focused on other mobs.

In GG Delves I can hold aggro with my GWF... but I'm not specced completey as a Sentinel tank. So in conclusion... it can be done... but 99% of GWFs won't or are unwilling to play that way.

In MC, I focus on non-cc mobs, or the boss, according as the party needs. I can tank the best Malabog has with no problems, as long as nobody else attacks him. It's when the TR starts doing major damage to him that I lose aggro, and have such a hard time taking it back.
    "Every adventurer has two things in common: they don't like dying, and they love getting paid. The rest is just semantics." Brecken, famed mercenary of Baldur's Gate

"D*mn wizards," said Morik the Rogue.

Learn what a GWF and GF really are: The History of Fighters
  • Options
    cbrowne0329cbrowne0329 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    In MC, I focus on non-cc mobs, or the boss, according as the party needs. I can tank the best Malabog has with no problems, as long as nobody else attacks him. It's when the TR starts doing major damage to him that I lose aggro, and have such a hard time taking it back.

Well that should be expected. Think of it this way.... If you are fighting one person who is pinching you, and you are basically having a slap fight.... then his friend comes along and cole-<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> you in the face and knocks out a tooth... You are immediately going to turn all your attention to him, until you beat his ***.... same scenario. ;)
  • Options
    xqqqm3xqqqm3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    for you. have the counter do it.
  • Options
    gannicsgladiatorgannicsgladiator Member Posts: 413 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    today we had amazing match (tbs) against lemonade stand, i was the only GWF. and honestly. I couldn't tank 2 people for too long, pretty much would die quick. I think the rogues on my team could survive longer tanking the same amount of people than me LOL. I dont see how my class ruins the pvp. in high lvl specs, even teams it is balanced pretty much. a good tanker has no problems tanking sometimes 5 pugs, only if they are really bad tho.
    Dovahkiin Gannicus, GWF Sentinel- Enemy Team Guild
    Gannicus Destroyer, GWF Destroyer retired
    Kate Beckinsale NB DC, Link NB GF
    "There is only one way to be a champion..., Never ...ing lose"
  • Options
    sangrinesangrine Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 575 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    What does tank mean to you, Sangrine? That they have a little more hitpoints and do less damage? Tank to me means a character class that grabs and holds aggression from superior mobs (bosses that hit harder than any two players ever could; multiple adds; or multiple players), absorbing and/or deflecting damage, but generally keeping them focused on himself for a prolonged period of time.

When a tank cannot keep you focused on him for more than the time it takes you to launch a rotation of abilities ... he's not a tank.

A very good tank has a special ability to control mob aggression. But you can still be a tank without any special ability to control mob aggression.

For example: if all 5 players are "tanky", then there is no need to control mob aggression.

Imagine if all 5 "tanky" players have aggression control powers, but one player is able to focus all aggression on himself during the entire fight. Does that mean only one player is a tank? To me, they are all tanks, but one player has better/stronger/more effective aggression control powers.

As most mmo gamers already know, there are various basic tactics which give some limited control over mob aggression in a party which lacks any special class/character ability to control mob aggression, such as ..... primary "tank" attacks first or ..... stop attacking if unwanted aggression is received.
  • Options
    chihuabchihuab Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2013
    I agree. I'm 12.5K HV CW with mostly lvl 7 dark enchantments, GF and GWF are so insanely difficult to kill 1 vs 1. They just don't die, and those with perfect/greater armor enchantments are nearly impossible to kill even with few people on him/her.

TR and CW are much easier to kill, but I find TR to be much much more unlikable than any other class because of their sneaky attack.
  • Options
    chihuabchihuab Member Posts: 71
    edited October 2013
    At least a DC can't kill you....
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    IF anything, the GWF needs a buff. Whoever says otherwise doesn't know wth they are doing.
    A cw really should not complain about anything, at all. The class is a skillless/easy mode.

And this is, how the story ends. I'd drop the occasional L2P phrase now, if it was worth my effort.

P.S. the majority of complainers are fresh lvl 60, trying to kill seasoned players. (look at the join dates) :rolleyes:

• Options
    degraafinationdegraafination Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chihuab wrote: »
    I agree. I'm 12.5K HV CW with mostly lvl 7 dark enchantments, GF and GWF are so insanely difficult to kill 1 vs 1. They just don't die, and those with perfect/greater armor enchantments are nearly impossible to kill even with few people on him/her.

TR and CW are much easier to kill, but I find TR to be much much more unlikable than any other class because of their sneaky attack.

You just have to up your gear or adjust your build. I finally, finally got my P. Vorpal yesterday (and yes, I'm F2P), and have Rank 6-8s (13.2k GS). Taking down a Sent GWF 1v1 isn't much of an issue most of the time. With my Greater Vorpal it was often a stalemate dueling a GWF for a point, or he'd stun-lock me and get in his Daily. But that little extra edge is all you need. Especially as a Renegade, I can count on another 15% crit Severity if I choke him before landing a daily.

Anyway, it's doable. The top three mages in my guild can solo Sents no problem. Mind you, they have all 9's and 10's, but it's doable.
    PWP_zpsf8f711ce.jpg
    Join Essence of Aggression: PVP-ing Hard Since Beta!
  • Options
    pando83pando83 Member Posts: 2,564 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    chihuab wrote: »

To be honest, you're called Control Wizards for a reason. You can nuke GWFs and GFs from a distance, cc them, repel them and when they get close to you, you've still the option to blink dodge their Attacks, making them go on CD, which gives you time to up your cc encounters and start again. Plus, you can pop your Ice Knife twice as fast as any GWF can pop crescendo, and IK is ranged and does much, much more damage than crescendo.
    You really have the weapons. GFs and GWFs are sure hard to kill, and that's why it's their defensive mechanic. To tank. CWs can, as said, cc and blink teleport to dodge, TRs can go stealth, go ITC and dodge roll, DCs can heal, cc a bit and repel+ blink teleport a bit.
    If GFs and GWFs were not really hard to kill, then they would just beeasy targets. They tank a lot cause they, unlike the other classes, need to go through a lot of damage to hit their target.
  • Options
    vortix44vortix44 Member Posts: 680 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    pando83 wrote: »
    GWFs . They tank a lot

You mean the instigator? Or the destroyer?
    English is not my first language.
  • Options
    tarmalentarmalen Member Posts: 1,020 Bounty Hunter
    edited October 2013
    vortix44 wrote: »
    You mean the instigator? Or the destroyer?

Skills/gear can support all tank or all dps...or a combination of both.
  • Options
    tcarncetcarnce Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 976 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    some tanks if they only know to slap me once then i can give up because i`m stunned forever till death.
    can`t roll away or anything.
    the only option to make a chance to those is to use impossible to catch or other stun reducing stuf.
    but need to choose between that or the encounters needed to be able to kill a cw,
    so guess there will be a neverending story about what s the best class because of the limitations.
  • Options
    ranncoreranncore Member, Moderators, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 2,508
    edited October 2013
    My Sent GWF is tankier than my GF, but can't tank nearly as well. Even after taking all the threat gen feats on him, he just can't hold aggro. Sure is fun in PvP, but not nearly as invincible as people make GWFs out to be. They're bait tanks and great kiters, and it's kind of pathetic when people actually take the bait and get kited around.

If the devs really wanted to balance Sentinel, in my opinion, they should change the Sentinel's Aegis feat to read: "Increases the effectiveness of your Defense stat by 20% and causes all your attacks to generate 35% more threat." This would make them much more viable in PvE and much less annoying in PvP.

HP/Regen GWF tanks aren't OP in themselves til you throw Tene's on them. Nerf the enchantments, not the class. You really want to see how overpowered they are, wait til you run into a rogue with 32k HP, 50% deflect chance, 10% regen and Greater Tene's.
  • Options
    colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    tcarnce wrote: »
    some tanks if they only know to slap me once then i can give up because i`m stunned forever till death.
    can`t roll away or anything.
    the only option to make a chance to those is to use impossible to catch or other stun reducing stuf.
    but need to choose between that or the encounters needed to be able to kill a cw,
    so guess there will be a neverending story about what s the best class because of the limitations.

Nobody asked about, which class is considered the best. In fact there is no "worst" or "best", it comes down to playerskill AND dedication/effort.

No effort or dedication = no results. That's life.