Options

BoP will bring me back to Neverwinter.

Comments

• Options
    osadamaskosadamask Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    I've got a question...
    How can gear increase in value when it cannot be sold to other players?

Only the current BoE that people have stashed away would be allowed to increase in value.

In fact, the opposite would happen.
    Win a nonclass item? You're forced to salvage/vendor it. Unless you want to clutter up your inventory with bound items.

Thus setting a hard limit of ~8k AD even for the best item.
    In most countries you cant sell your children anymore.
    They hold value.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    osadamask wrote: »
    In most countries you cant sell your children anymore.
    They hold value.

Sentimental value? You putting 'em to work? We're not talking love or devotion here. People enjoy playing the meta-game of buying/selling/trading items and leveling up professions to craft items, too.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    healhamsta wrote: »
    I've got a question...
    How can gear increase in value when it cannot be sold to other players?

Only the current BoE that people have stashed away would be allowed to increase in value.

In fact, the opposite would happen.
    Win a nonclass item? You're forced to salvage/vendor it. Unless you want to clutter up your inventory with bound items.

Thus setting a hard limit of ~8k AD even for the best item.

If you only value AD then youre right. If you value time then youre wrong.

I think I would place more value on that piece that I had to farm a dungeon for a week to obtain over the piece I just bought from the AH.

I just geared an alt with T2s in 5 minutes on the AH, is that really an MMO you wanna play?
  • Options
    ashensnowashensnow Member Posts: 2,215 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    jlander wrote: »
    If you only value AD then youre right. If you value time then youre wrong.

I think I would place more value on that piece that I had to farm a dungeon for a week to obtain over the piece I just bought from the AH.

I just geared an alt with T2s in 5 minutes on the AH, is that really an MMO you wanna play?

It took you five minutes to earn the resources to purchase the T2s on the AH ?

Even without BOP you would have the option to play through dungeons to get your gear.

'Caine, miss you bud. Fly high.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    It took you five minutes to earn the resources to purchase the T2s on the AH ?

Even without BOP you would have the option to play through dungeons to get your gear.

It took like $10. Do you really want to play with someone that bought their gear and has no idea how to play the class? Do you really want a D3 game where you get to game over with a credit card? BoP is better for the longevity of the game. Not everyone is obsessed with playing the AH mini game.

And before we go down the how will I make money for overpriced enchants and all that, the prices will go down to reflect the BoP system.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    It took like $10. Do you really want to play with someone that bought their gear and has no idea how to play the class? Do you really want a D3 game where you get to game over with a credit card? BoP is better for the longevity of the game. Not everyone is obsessed with playing the AH mini game.

And before we go down the how will I make money for overpriced enchants and all that, the prices will go down to reflect the BoP system.

It took me getting my character to 60, invoking on a regular basis, staying on top of my professions, and, yes, running dungeons and selling gear I didn't want or couldn't use, to earn the AD to get my blue & purple gear. How is that any less valid than the person that just keeps re-running dungeons and/or got lucky with the RNG?

Your "spent real money" argument is only true for a small portion of the playerbase, and I could say that those that have the time to run said dungeons over and over again probably don't have, let's say, "other responsibilities" which might get in the way of those dungeon runs.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    bioshrike wrote: »
    It took me getting my character to 60, invoking on a regular basis, staying on top of my professions, and, yes, running dungeons and selling gear I didn't want or couldn't use, to earn the AD to get my blue & purple gear. How is that any less valid than the person that just keeps re-running dungeons and/or got lucky with the RNG?

Your "spent real money" argument is only true for a small portion of the playerbase, and I could say that those that have the time to run said dungeons over and over again probably don't have, let's say, "other responsibilities" which might get in the way of those dungeon runs.

The thing is, we can go back an forth on this all night long. I personally like a BoP system, other dont, its no big deal to disagree. There are pros and cons for both systems.

At the end of the day I see them doing this for the longevity of the game. If youre being fair about this subject, I think most would agree its pretty easy to gear up fast in this game. That might be a good thing to some, but an MMO is a time sink and there isnt one (gear wise) in this game. I see it all the time in these forums and on the game, people asking what now after they have all the gear. Thats scary if you want this game to last the year.
  • Options
    lasheslashes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Although methods by which players obtain their end game gear vary, it does not make his argument any less truthful. I don't think anyone would consider $10 to be an obscene amount of money. And if players are able to pay $10 to obtain all of their end game gear, I am pretty sure that is a no-brainer decision to make for many more than just a "a small portion of the player base."
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    The thing is, we can go back an forth on this all night long. I personally like a BoP system, other dont, its no big deal to disagree. There are pros and cons for both systems.

At the end of the day I see them doing this for the longevity of the game. If youre being fair about this subject, I think most would agree its pretty easy to gear up fast in this game. That might be a good thing to some, but an MMO is a time sink and there isnt one (gear wise) in this game. I see it all the time in these forums and on the game, people asking what now after they have all the gear. Thats scary if you want this game to last the year.

How many times should someone have to re-run the same dungeon in order to get a piece of gear that they want? Most people will only retry so many times before they give up... quit... say goodbye to the game out of frustration. This wouldn't be so bad if the items you could get with seals were closer to what you can get as the epic drops.

What you seem to be missing is that the current system provides a way for non-hardcore players to keep up. Even with sinking in lots of real money, they still lack the skill from the hardcore players, so there won't ever be an issue there.

The devs could have implemented a system where you need to actually complete a dungeon to buy its gear, even if it was otherwise kept BoE, so there's no reason to restrict this. It'll also reward the people who already have the items - they can just hang onto them and sell them after this change goes live, and make huge profits.
  • Options
    keobiaakeobiaa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Almost no one that has already obtained their items will run dungeons after the patch, if you think the current implementation of end-game PvE is worth 45 mins -> 1h:30 for 10k AD then you're delusional.

This game absolutely cannot afford to cull that many players interest in end-game, amongst a sea of exploits and balancing problems it is a very bad direction for the game to go in after already establishing a system most players are happy with.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    How many times should someone have to re-run the same dungeon in order to get a piece of gear that they want? Most people will only retry so many times before they give up... quit... say goodbye to the game out of frustration. This wouldn't be so bad if the items you could get with seals were closer to what you can get as the epic drops.

I may be missing something but, how is this any different than every other MMORPG out in existence right now? Why are people reacting like this is something so out of the norm. It is standard MMORPG procedure. Nothing more, nothing less.
    What you seem to be missing is that the current system provides a way for non-hardcore players to keep up. Even with sinking in lots of real money, they still lack the skill from the hardcore players, so there won't ever be an issue there.

How is that not an issue? It's not like the hardcore players and non-hardcore players are playing different games. Shouldn't all players be required to play the game skillfully. Your statement assumes that the skilful hardcore player will be expected to carry the non-hardcore. I am pretty sure elitists will find issue with your suggestion.
  • Options
    edited June 2013

The devs could have implemented a system where you need to actually complete a dungeon to buy its gear, even if it was otherwise kept BoE, so there's no reason to restrict this. It'll also reward the people who already have the items - they can just hang onto them and sell them after this change goes live, and make huge profits.

Most people give up after 1-2 wipes in a dungeon. Everyone wants shiny things NOW, pretty stupid imo. An MMO is supposed to take time getting gear I though? If BoP weeds out that crowd im even more for it.

Your second paragraph is the age old question in any MMO, how do we cater to both crowds. The best I can tell no MMO has gotten that one right.

I like your third point but replace BoE with BoP. Run a dungeon and unlock the vendor for the dungeon then run it a few more times to loot seals and buy the gear you want.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Most people give up after 1-2 wipes in a dungeon. Everyone wants shiny things NOW, pretty stupid imo. An MMO is supposed to take time getting gear I though? If BoP weeds out that crowd im even more for it.

I think that there is a big difference between someone who gives up after wiping once, or even twice, and someone who gives up after running the dungeon successfully numerous times without getting anything he can use.

• Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Member Posts: 4,622 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lashes wrote: »
    I may be missing something but, how is this any different than every other MMORPG out in existence right now? Why are people reacting like this is something so out of the norm. It is standard MMORPG procedure. Nothing more, nothing less.

In this case, it wont be like most MMOs. Most MMOs offer a consolation prize. A token setup where even if you loose enough times. You can still end up with the gear you want. Its a way to remove poor luck from the problem.

However, these changes as presented end up short of that. There has been no indication that the seal system is being expanded to allow the purchase of T1 and T2 gear sets. Meaning, the only way to earn those, after the change. Will be purely by luck of the draw.
  • Options
    skalt112skalt112 Member Posts: 1,089 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    lashes wrote: »

How is that not an issue? It's not like the hardcore players and non-hardcore players are playing different games. Shouldn't all players be required to play the game skillfully. Your statement assumes that the skilful hardcore player will be expected to carry the non-hardcore. I am pretty sure elitists will find issue with your suggestion.

1. Because it didn't start this way. It's a change, not "standard operating procedure".
    2. If I demonstrate the skill to 4/4 CN on my DC, why should I have to start all over on another class. The current system allows you to gear up alts quickly in order to supplement missing classes in a guild group for the more difficult content. The new system will require you go backward in order to go forward. The game does not have enough depth to require anyone with average intelligence to have to start all over at tier 1 if they have already finished all challenges on 1 or 2 characters.
    3. Just because other MMORGs do something does not mean NW has to do it.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    ashensnow wrote: »
    I think that there is a big difference between someone who gives up after wiping once, or even twice, and someone who gives up after running the dungeon successfully numerous times without getting anything he can use.

Thats what an MMO is, wow. Sometimes the RNG gods are with you, sometimes not. Sometimes you get multiple runs were you get something, sometimes not. And stop acting like nothing but class loot drops in dungeons.

Everyone wants that toy on the shelf but not everyone throws a fit when they dont get it now. Maybe MMOs just arent for some people.
  • Options
    krumple01krumple01 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited June 2013

That is just the thing, it will kill any chance the game had at longevity. BOP will kill this game guaranteed. There is no good incentive for a player to run the same dungeon over and over if they already have the gear. Helping guildmates will only go so far after the player realizes they are going backwards spending lots of gold for potions or injury kits to get trash loot they can't do anything with except remember the good ol' days when they could sell this for some AD and make it worth their time/effort.

You might help a few friends get gear but it will get old fast and once that novelty wears off you'll have no reason to run anything at all peroid. So where is this so called longevity you speak of?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I understand the game has a lack of end game content to keep max level players busy at this time. But is this a good enough reason to keep a broken mechanic broken. Technically, the game hasn't even been released yet. Most games have a lack of end game content immediately after being released. Lack of end game content is a common complaint among players in newly released MMORPG. In time, content is added and the game stabilizes. Is it unreasonable for the developers to implement a sound foundation to make the game successful in the long run, or should they be expected to keep an existing broken mechanic simply to keep max level players happy due to a current dearth in end game content?

In conclusion, does the game need fixing in some areas? Yes, absolutely. In this regard would it not be more advisable for the devs to focus their attention on fleshing out those areas that need fixing. Maintaining a broken mechanic because other areas of the game are not fleshed out or functioning properly is no way to run a successful MMORPG.
  • Options
    vientorvientor Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 80
    edited June 2013
    Is it character bound, or account bound? At least if you could twink and alt, that would be something.

Also, couldn't they implement multiple tiers of gear, that drop in each dungeon. The higher of which is BoP, and a lower tier that is still good (but not as good as the higher tier), and trade-able. I have seen other games do that.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    vientor wrote: »
    Is it character bound, or account bound? At least if you could twink and alt, that would be something.

Also, couldn't they implement multiple tiers of gear, that drop in each dungeon. The higher of which is BoP, and a lower tier that is still good (but not as good as the higher tier), and trade-able. I have seen other games do that.

Currently, there is no way to transfer 'bound to account' items, so it wouldn't make a difference.

They really need to revisit the seal vendors, make items of all seal types worthwhile to 60's, and provide some incentive to keep running dungeons, if you are already geared up - perhaps allow items to be traded for various resource boxes - like ones that grant profession resources/assets, and other unbound items that are still desirable. A dye trader would be perfect here!
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Thats what an MMO is, wow.

Nope. Perhaps what some MMOs have in them. But not what an MMO is.

Sometimes the RNG gods are with you, sometimes not. Sometimes you get multiple runs were you get something, sometimes not.

Incorrect.
    And stop acting like nothing but class loot drops in dungeons.

Not acting like anything of the sort.
    Everyone wants that toy on the shelf but not everyone throws a fit when they dont get it now. Maybe MMOs just arent for some people.

People aren't asking to get the toy on the shelf now. A strawman of that sort gives the impression that you know your position cannot be defended honestly.

• Options
    thakogthakog Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    BOP is a necessary change. I think when Gauntlygrym comes out, it will help alleviate concerns, because then everyone will have progression options open to them. Speaking of Gauntlygrym... if they didn't add BOP, all of those that made a fortune from the AH (legitimately or otherwise) could basically gear themselves out from the AH and not set foot in Gauntlygrym ever. Is that what you want? Farming end game content from Protector's Enclave?
  • Options
    anthonydamanthonydam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Will be buying t1 gear for all classes before it goes live, :D
    Need a website? Why not Zoidberg?!
  • Options
    cesmode8cesmode8 Member Posts: 384 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    I guess this will be good for the game overall. Albeit, harder to get gear. Buy it while its there!

Curious...What are we going to be able to do with epics that we cannot use? If I win an epic in a dungeon that I can't use, do I just vendor for some silver/gold? Can I salvage or DE it for astral diamonds? any word on this?
  • Options
    logancainelogancaine Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    The silver lining is.. we get to play this game for many more years to come instead of it turning into a monty haul joke where everyone is clad in end game epic ?

No.. The silver lining is... I can buy the same stuff with Zen from the Zen market... Instead with AD from other players.. More money for PW...
  • Options
    trequeltrequel Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cesmode8 wrote: »
    I guess this will be good for the game overall. Albeit, harder to get gear. Buy it while its there!

Curious...What are we going to be able to do with epics that we cannot use? If I win an epic in a dungeon that I can't use, do I just vendor for some silver/gold? Can I salvage or DE it for astral diamonds? any word on this?

Why would you even roll on it if you don't need it?
  • Options
    rangurenranguren Member Posts: 4
    edited June 2013
    thakog wrote: »
    BOP is a necessary change. I think when Gauntlygrym comes out, it will help alleviate concerns, because then everyone will have progression options open to them. Speaking of Gauntlygrym... if they didn't add BOP, all of those that made a fortune from the AH (legitimately or otherwise) could basically gear themselves out from the AH and not set foot in Gauntlygrym ever. Is that what you want? Farming end game content from Protector's Enclave?

well, still can gear themselves out of epic dungeons too
    anthonydam wrote: »
    Will be buying t1 gear for all classes before it goes live, :D

that goes with some other players too
    logancaine wrote: »
    No.. The silver lining is... I can buy the same stuff with Zen from the Zen market... Instead with AD from other players.. More money for PW...

indeed
    trequel wrote: »
    Why would you even roll on it if you don't need it?

from what I read there will be a salvage system that make you can exchange things with AD, perhaps they will add NPC that buy your special junk with AD
  • Options
    cribstaxxxcribstaxxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 1,300 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    So tired of hearing "omg another pw cash-grab!" and "by my calculation it will take x years to gear up".

The current system allows those that have the high level gear to make all experienced, all geared fast runs so that everyone in the group can greed to sell for 100's of thousands of AD on the AH. Therefore anyone without experience or high level gears can't even run CN and some of the harder T2's, so they currently either have to grind AD forever to make the 100's of thousands per piece or buy zen.

With the new system you will be able to take any greeded gear to the salvager and get reasonable AD rather than gouging those that have no other choice but to buy it from the AH because no one wants someone that isn't already completely geared and experienced.

As far as getting geared goes no one seems to take dungeon delves into account. In 1 run even if you lose every roll during the instance you still get (almost every time) one purple for your class and one enchantment shard. If you are a casual player that lets get 1 epic a day, how hard is that to gear?

In all reality by taking away the ability to just buy your T2 set with AD Perfect World is actually going to sell LESS zen because players aren't going to need it to turn into AD nearly as much. This is the exact opposite of a cash-grab, they are knowingly making new players need less zen in order to make the game more enjoyable.

So if you're the elitist 5% that doesn't ever take anyone that isn't fully geared and experienced and want to cry because you can't continue to stockpile millions of AD (and for what? you already have everything...) Then boo hoo you can go play the next MMO, sounds good to me. Not like PW is losing anything, you didn't need to buy zen you already had it all.
    Guild Master of <Enemy Team>
    We are definitely dominating, and we are always about to win.
  • Options
    berinimaberinima Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    cribstaxxx wrote: »
    With the new system you will be able to take any greeded gear to the salvager and get reasonable AD rather than gouging those that have no other choice but to buy it from the AH because no one wants someone that isn't already completely geared and experienced.

How is 10k *ROUGH* AD for a CN item reasonable?
  • Options
    manholiomanholio Member Posts: 493 Bounty Hunter
    edited June 2013
    It sucks on so many levels

You should've stopped there...

I don't really see how this "preserves endgame integrity". Gearing your main up through sales is a legitimate way to gear, as far as I can tell.