test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    only thing i know is im getting screwed out of 8-9 top tier equipment pieces from the dungeons and the delve event incliding a master assassins dagger that ive been trying to get for a month and a cat companion that i traded 6-7 rank 6 enchantments and a dancing jagged blade companion for that i really doubt i could find that same person to do the trade again... This doesnt even include the yime wasted on professions. Talking about getting bent over. Didn't even lube me up or nothing just stuck right in, not even a kiss. Anyone elses A*s hurt?
  • ssessssess Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    when will the servers be up - i wanna see how this affected my char (during that time i enchanted my whole arsenal)
  • ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    Their plan is the best plan to do the most repair while doing the least harm to the community as a whole. I recommended this suggestion myself and am for one glad that it is what they decided. I may have gone back a couple days, but the fact is it wasn't affecting the economy negatively until now.

If done right, those accounts that generated funny money all this time will be banned and therefore cannot influence the economy. The fact that they bought items does nothing more than bolster sales. Until the economy was flooded with this it did little more than sell a few items more frequently and possibly at slightly higher prices than normal.

Most of the complaints now are for farming exploits, which are game mechanics that need to be fixed, but don't necessarily harm the economy as supply and demand will dictate the values in the end. It does however make end game boring if you get everything cheaply in the AH.
  • turlamturlam Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    How will this effect my Guardian Pack I bought just last night?
  • daschernachtdaschernacht Member Posts: 100
    edited May 2013
    Pacific Time is UTC -8 for those of you trying to convert time.
  • rhoricrhoric Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I bet some of the angry posters are people that took part in the exploits.
  • cathgar457cathgar457 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What a joke, they have not even updated Facebook but announced it on Twitter half an hour ago.
  • lorgrenbeniruslorgrenbenirus Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    All's cute and stuff but what about those "divine coins" and such what you get once per day for "praying to your gods"? I mean you need whole load of these to get anything at all, can only get one per day and now we're losing days to this downtime, to this rollback. Thus we're losing those friggin' coins as well.

EDIT: wait, you roll back to 19th? Are you kidding? This will essentially destroy my whole char! One of them. I made one new char on 19th or 20th and since I had off time, I leveled it in one go from 0 to mid-levels! Did all the quests, got all the money on him, everything and your rollback will probably totally eliminate that char! How the heck do you "repay" me his lost gold, AD's and what not if your rollback may even totally eliminate his existence?
  • toyeverdaletoyeverdale Member Posts: 91
    edited May 2013
    smrtstn wrote: »
    From what ive gathered (I could be wrong). the exploiters would go to the Gateway site, and be able to bid negative. that in turn refunded them the amount that they bid

So say something was up for 100AD. they would bid -10000000 and end up with 10000100.

weird i know lol. Sadly though its gone on since day 1 of open beta, and this roolback didnt go nearly far enough back from when it was made public.

These kinds of bugs should be hit by internal testing way before the beta portion of a product. These things can come out of nowhere, so I can understand if it wasn't hit until after launch, and it sucks it was there, and it sucks even more that no one bug reported it and instead just exploited it.

However, think of the mechanic you described. They wouldn't need to roll back the servers for that. Because they can pull logs, and trace all negative, or erroneous bids (depending on how it passes through the system, what markers it leaves behind), and target those specific players and monies.
  • roentsroents Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Why not wipe it? Why bother calling it open beta?
  • xxsanctuaryxxxxsanctuaryxx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    For all of you that reply to the rollback as "I was doing crafting" and "I just got XX level" or any other such complaints...Think of the greater good as cheesy as that sounds. The economy was compromised to a point where it was detrimental to all, they are attempting to fix it. How many free to play games actually attempt to fix major issues? Few to none. They're trying and that's a **** good start for a free to play.
  • smrtstnsmrtstn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    torrenz1 wrote: »
    If this is true and the bug is fixed and tested,

why will the auction house and exchange remain deactivated?

Think of it as the govt Freezing assests while they audit you for fraud. they're more than likely still trying to remove bad currency from the game, but want people to be able to play.

Blizzard did the same thing when D3 had their exploit.
  • derkah360derkah360 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm wondering if my collection of prayer coins will be reset to 0 since the rollback will effectively cancel my use of today's prayer... and the fact that they require a new prayer everyday to keep the collection. Any word on this?
  • caucxicancaucxican Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 31
    edited May 2013
    From what I've seen from the majority of the posts, it won't. But, to be fair, a lot of the angry posters have been raging since the start, would have found something else to latch on and rage about etc.

Well the lack of prior exploiters being mentioned in the FAQ is really the only thing pissing me off. I don't care about a mini-rollback. I didn't play today because I knew something like this would happen anyway.
  • ssessssess Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    eggylisk99 wrote: »
    Just of note, there was something off in the Zen/AD exchange hours before their deduced 5am time frame. Hours before this, the exchange was already at a high of 480/460 - well above the norm of 360/340.
    i bought zen at the exact time, 5:22, and i checked the rate - it was still 363-364
  • revusharkingsrevusharkings Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0
    edited May 2013
    torrenz1 wrote: »
    If this is true and the bug is fixed and tested,

why will the auction house and exchange remain deactivated?

Probably hoping that any exploit AD from before the rollout get spent somewhere where it won't go to another player, so it's not part of the economy anymore.
  • tredotredo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Cryptic / NWI all I can do now is laugh in your face!
  • himemidplzhimemidplz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Anyway, there's no reply on Twitter, except for really easy questions.

Why couldn't they do a partial transaction rollback only for the exploiters and the ppl who had interacted with them ? Everyone would've been happy, including PWE. I described how to do it simply in another post, and nobody cared. I posted 3 times on their twitter, and nobody cared. Why rollback the levels ? The dropped items ? The quests ? The guys who haven't traded at all with exploiters, not even through intermediaries ?

It's scary to see that the programmers are too lazy to actually try and build a specific algorithm to restore the integrity of the economy, rather than just rollbacking with a single command.
  • wennidwennid Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    OPEN BETA- this means when the game goes live you are starting all over again.

Wrong. They have already said no wipe for "launch/live". This is the kind of so-called open beta that's also known as a "soft launch".
  • rubberduckie3rubberduckie3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 62
    edited May 2013
    OPEN BETA- this means when the game goes live you are starting all over again. The current issues/exploits/bugs that are being resolved now obviously have the most impact on the game play and overall player experience. The more that the Developers can work out now = a better product the day NEVERWINTER goes live. it's ok fellow gamers. Take it one breath at a time and before you know it, you will be back to grinding , pvping and foundry designing. Best of luck to all the players re rolling lock boxes and drops from bosses. Take your time Neverwinter developers/managers game designers and coding team. Just like the rest of the players I cant wait for pvping again.
    -Q. founders/gaurdian packs refunded or will it be a case by case purchase and support ticket
    -Q. Professions started 5-6 hours prior to the proposed rollback time totaling 18hrs in length. Is all progress lost or will it actually go back to being 5-6 11-12hrs complete?
    -Q.will the rollback time effect individual players game launchers to not have the updated patch and cause uninstall/re-install to be performed?
    there is no wipe this is a soft launch so wtf are you talking about
  • edgenwedgenw Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 124 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Players submitted tickets about this exploit back during closed beta, all of them apparently "lost". Has your support staff been quietly abusing this bug and tanking the in-game economy in the process to make real-world cash on the sly? Perhaps you need to launch an internal investigation on your employees.
  • spongeyliciousspongeylicious Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Addition -- What about characters that were possibly created during that time frame? As much as I don't care if I have to recreate, would they still be there just haven't been played? I am just curious ^^;
  • vivinanavivinana Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cathgar457 wrote: »
    What a joke, they have not even updated Facebook but announced it on Twitter half an hour ago.

they havnt answered any of the questions that have been asked 20+ times in this thread either.
  • x719x719 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    -Q.will the rollback time effect individual players game launchers to not have the updated patch and cause uninstall/re-install to be performed?

Because they have the ability to roll back your PC? :rolleyes:
  • tswericreedtswericreed Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Still have some questions? Are you sure it happened at 5:20am this morning? When I was in-game at around 2am mst, I had a stone which is gray and very worthless, the AH gave me an AD price that made no sense. Although I post it, I wasn't sure it was right and today was going to take and make it 5 AD. Is this cause for the AH/AD expoit, because I love the game and would correct it when we come back to the game.
  • effektzeffektz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Some people may lose things, even very valuable things that were gained during that 7 hour period, however I was expecting 24 hours minimum. This seems to be an appropriate response to everything that HAS gone on. It effects the smallest amount of people while punishing those responsible. This is perfect, I lost a nice dagger but I'm completely okay with that if it results in the economy returning to a somewhat normal state. Good job, the time spent on a fix was somewhat minimal and I appreciate it. Would've like a little more information with the updates on how things were going but overall this was a decent experience to solve the issue.
  • argoyletargoylet Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've put in a request for a refund. This is far too weak to combat a bug that has been in since day one, and was already known and dealt with in STO over a year ago. This exploit alone even with the rollback is enough to wreck the economy for months to come, but it also comes after a string of other exploits that have already weakened the economy.
  • akaiifsakaiifs Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    only thing i know is im getting screwed out of 8-9 top tier equipment pieces from the dungeons and the delve event incliding a master assassins dagger that ive been trying to get for a month and a cat companion that i traded 6-7 rank 6 enchantments and a dancing jagged blade companion for that i really doubt i could find that same person to do the trade again... This doesnt even include the yime wasted on professions. Talking about getting bent over. Didn't even lube me up or nothing just stuck right in, not even a kiss. Anyone elses A*s hurt?

Heard.....
  • pautistiskpautistisk Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So I deleted my character within the timeline of when you are going to make the rollback, I cleansed that characters gold and AD and sent them to my main, will that character be brought back to life? :P
    Member of Aesir Online Community - Gaming
    Guild leader in Dungeons and Dragons: Neverwinter

Feel free to visit us at www.aoc-gaming.se
  • vinzovinzo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 65
    edited May 2013
    runeskald wrote: »
    Agree, this bug has been reportedly known for a while, just rolling back to before it got abused badly (instead of mildly) seems a bit weak. Just wipe the servers, return everyone's Zen and founders packs and call it a beta test major error.

I totally agree, yet somehow I have a feeling the corruption will not allow this to happen, no matter how much we beg, borrow and...well was going to say steal, but that doesn't seem appropriate considering the situation. lol
This discussion has been closed.