test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• amazingramazingr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I wish there was an ignore all posts by this user in the forums, then I wouldn't have to wade through the posts by the two of them.
  • falson1falson1 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 135 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    amazingr wrote: »
    I wish there was an ignore all posts by this user in the forums, then I wouldn't have to wade through the posts by the two of them.

because everyone should ignore the posts where people admit they cheated and caused this entire mess?
  • syakaasyakaa Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    During this event i lost over 500K AD (earned without any hacks, exploits..), few houndreds ZEN, almost 30 items in AH including 3 epics and some L5 runes each worth 30-50K AD and my first T2 class piece earned in instance that day.
    Now after 3 days of silence you are mocking me with Cape of Catastrophe, XP boosters when i'm L 60 already and similar junk?
    GG my developers, you are doing yourself a big favor.
    I know this is still beta, but first priority after banhammer and patching your ****ups in code should be restoring honest players assets and items. Hope you have tools for that, i'm not sure anymore.
  • amazingramazingr Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    falson1 wrote: »
    because everyone should ignore the posts where people admit they cheated and caused this entire mess?

No, because you are a troll.
  • nausumnausum Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    All this broken record talk about the economy being broken, and how to fix it (lol, you don't know anything). Why aren't people interested in talking about how fragile the economy is that it can be broken so easily? If you think it wasn't easily broken, then figure out why the rollback was only 7 hours. Because they don't wanna <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the fans? - give me a break. The economy is fragile when you're consistently hovering under 10G without the auction house because you need 99 potions to get through a zone, unless you play with a group with a good cleric, in which case you don't need those potions at all. Such drastic fluctuations in playtime reagents makes the game fragile with the heavy dependence on the auction house.

But then again, how else can they sell those zen coins no one wants, but are forced to get them to respec and buy the items they NEED in order to progess?
  • vonthvonth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 85
    edited May 2013
    But open beta was a huge success!
  • inneragedinneraged Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can we atleast get ANY news? We didn't get any info for the past 6 hours, just let us know how far/close you are from fixing this last problem, I'm not asking to fix it now just, I'm just looking for some real info and less promises
  • paganhawkpaganhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    falson1 wrote: »
    You cheated and got banned. what light is there to shed? you got what you deserved.. moving on...

I think he was refering to the fact that the dev's are banning for other exploits than the well known one...
  • t3hwh173f0xt3hwh173f0x Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    nausum wrote: »
    All this broken record talk about the economy being broken, and how to fix it (lol, you don't know anything). Why aren't people interested in talking about how fragile the economy is that it can be broken so easily? If you think it wasn't easily broken, then figure out why the rollback was only 7 hours. Because they don't wanna <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> off the fans? - give me a break. The economy is fragile when you're consistently hovering under 10G without the auction house because you need 99 potions to get through a zone, unless you play with a group with a good cleric, in which case you don't need those potions at all. Such drastic fluctuations in playtime reagents makes the game fragile with the heavy dependence on the auction house.

But then again, how else can they sell those zen coins no one wants, but are forced to get them to respec and buy the items they NEED in order to progess?

I have a few quoms with what you wrote here
    First thing, about the economy being fragile... well, it's an economy, it's fragile, all economies are. Look at the economy in real life (so fragile it still hasn't recovered lol). If you printed out 999,999,999,999,999,999,999 ect. dollars/pounds/euros, ect. of fake currency and then spent it all on goods and services in a single country, that country's economy would collapse very quickly. So economies are fragile (especially when you bloat them with fraudulent currency) this is a fact of life and a fact of economies. This is not Cryptic's fault, nor PWE's fault, this is the fault of the economy for being a... you guessed it, an economy. Moving on.
    If you use 99 potions in an area then... well... I understand that was probably an exaggeration, but if it's true you should try a different build cause yours is not working. I play a GWF and I rarely use potions, almost only during boss fights and even then I'll usually only drink 1. Oh ya, and my companion is a dog that has no heals, I only really have him cause its cute having a puppy chasing me around :P
    Heavy dependence on the auction house is not a bad thing. Look at WoW or Diablo 3, those games wouldn't operate without the auction house and those are probably the two most popular games online at the moment. Auction house is like a fun mini-game for people who like crunching numbers, doing math and generating (albeit virtual) money. I enjoy a game with a heavy Auction House dependence, otherwise it gets boring, as well it helps to let the players control the value of things as some things are in more demand at different times than others.
    The last thing I had a problem with and the entire reason I decided to reply was cause you said that people NEED to buy things in order to progress... What do you NEED to buy with money to play the game? I could tell you, I'm level 60 with t2 epic gear 10,800 gear score and a couple epic greater enchants and I haven't bought a dime worth of zen... so maybe you could clarify this.
    Sorry bout the long post guys, but there was so much wrong with what was said here.
  • qittyqitty Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Well, I for one am glad that they were able to stop the correction with a rollback and some tweaking instead of wiping. :) So ta, Neverwinter team!
    edited May 2013
    myxlplyk wrote: »
    I will second, third, or whatever the question of ...

When will the Auction House be back up????

As someone who crafts, without the AH, and with the extreme limitations on storage space in this game I am effectively at a standstill other than gathering raw mats and processing them until the AH is running again.

I am actually just hiring/finding people for the most part right now.... training them up, ect.... lol.
  • crinklies02crinklies02 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    qitty wrote: »
    Well, I for one am glad that they were able to stop the correction with a rollback and some tweaking instead of wiping. :) So ta, Neverwinter team!

The damage has been done, only the small time people got caught with the 7 hour rollback, most cannot comprehend just how much spare ad is floating about on mule accounts, only when they bring ah back up will people see why the reset is needed.
  • thugarlthugarl Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Ok, so as far as a real problem.. I purchased 2000 zen on Sunday not long before the servers went down. I've received confirmation by email that the purchase went through and still have not received my zen. I put a ticket through on monday, still no response. I called the billling support center and have never EVER seen something so rediculous. The automated system tells you that everyone is busy and to wait.. It then rings 5 times after waiting 2 minutes and comes up with another automated message saying if your getting this message and its between our business hours we are busy and please try calling back and then it hangs up..

SERIOUSLY?! I have called back literally 20 times and still have not gotten an agent, wtf... SERIOUSLY!?!?! Why can't I stay on hold like EVERY OTHER AUTOMATED SYSTEM THERE IS IN THIS WORLD?! Honestly I really hope I don't get through to an agent because I'll probably end up with a banned account with how frustrated and mad this has made me...
    edited May 2013
    dwalishing wrote: »
    Didn't I just say I didn't use a fake WAN IP?... lol

Is reading hard for you?

Look at the time you posted that, and he posted about the fake wan ip? SAME FREAKING TIME!!!!!! You two are so concerned with insulting each other that you are becoming rather funny to read.
    edited May 2013

I am actually finding it kinda funny.... especially when they insult the other person for doing what they themselves are doing.... lol.
  • lcraw78lcraw78 Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    the 72 hour bans put out for the boss exploits should be lifted by now as of 2.5 hours ago my husband and son should be able to log back in to game......
    edited May 2013
    The damage has been done, only the small time people got caught with the 7 hour rollback, most cannot comprehend just how much spare ad is floating about on mule accounts, only when they bring ah back up will people see why the reset is needed.

I am really getting tired of repeating this, because it is stated on the FIRST FREAKING PAGE, FIRST FREAKING POST!!!! The are still investigating matters..... sigh.
    edited May 2013
    thugarl wrote: »
    Ok, so as far as a real problem.. I purchased 2000 zen on Sunday not long before the servers went down. I've received confirmation by email that the purchase went through and still have not received my zen. I put a ticket through on monday, still no response. I called the billling support center and have never EVER seen something so rediculous. The automated system tells you that everyone is busy and to wait.. It then rings 5 times after waiting 2 minutes and comes up with another automated message saying if your getting this message and its between our business hours we are busy and please try calling back and then it hangs up..

SERIOUSLY?! I have called back literally 20 times and still have not gotten an agent, wtf... SERIOUSLY!?!?! Why can't I stay on hold like EVERY OTHER AUTOMATED SYSTEM THERE IS IN THIS WORLD?! Honestly I really hope I don't get through to an agent because I'll probably end up with a banned account with how frustrated and mad this has made me...

Because every person with a complaint is insisting their problem gets solved NOW!!!!!
  • djarkaandjarkaan Member Posts: 883 Arc User
    edited May 2013

There is : copy paste their username go to User CP and edit ignore list, add a member to your list, click ok and save changes.
  • lcraw78lcraw78 Member Posts: 52
    edited May 2013
    paganhawk wrote: »
    Because every person with a complaint is insisting their problem gets solved NOW!!!!!

you wont ever get a hold of someone via the phone at pwe ive called the number several times way before any of these exploits or bans or anything for a billing issue... called for 6 hours straight calling and getting same message. and ive seen posts up to 2 years ago talking about the phone system is fake they dont actually have people that answer at that number given. 1888-344-4478
  • necronomniconnecronomnicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the game is ruined. I have been watching the zen exchange for the past couple of hours roughly, and I have been seeing the same manipulated patterns of the diamond to zen going between around 410 back up to 460 or more. i noticed that happening very briefly in the past, and figured it was people manipulating the market, but I thought it was form legitimately playing it over time and not from diamonds gained out of thin air.

from the same price manipulating going on right now, it's very clear this little 'fix' is a joke. plenty of mule accounts still have as many diamonds as they could hold on those characters, and the only people hurt by the lack of a wipe are paying customers. weeks ago I put zen bought with USD into diamonds, never thinking they were going to be created out of thin air, disrupting the economy and making rates controllable by a bunch of dickwads at their whim. what this means, prices will never go below 400 diamond a zen ever again, or not for a reasonable period of time nor any time soon when it's needed by people who did not cheat. and even at that rate (400) i would be lucky to break even I think.

if i don't see the prices going back down to at least around 370ish where they before the blatant flaunting of these funds, I'm doing a payment dispute since I shouldn't lose money because of cryptic's incompetence & lack of a truly effective fix creating a level playing field and resetting the economy through resetting the servers.

I've seen screenshots 3 weeks old of support tickets reporting this, so people have been hoarding diamonds created out of thin air for weeks at the very least, and they would be impossible to be removed from those cheating players by now especially the more subtle ones who are still making money by manipulating the market as they please with those piggy bank accounts.

enough is enough. I can no longer enjoy this game thinking of this every time I log in and especially every time I look at the zen exchange and I will not take a loss on my own money due to cryptic's greed & incompetence & players' greed and ******baggery by exchanging at these <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rates nor will I spend more USD to buy more zen for these scumbags nor will I wait forever & ever on hope that by the time I would have become naturally tired of the game it would ever change. This game is no longer enjoyable, thanks a lot to all on both sides. screw this
    So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
    Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
    Evil, be thou my good.
    edited May 2013
    the game is ruined. I have been watching the zen exchange for the past couple of hours roughly, and I have been seeing the same manipulated patterns of the diamond to zen going between around 410 back up to 460 or more. i noticed that happening very briefly in the past, and figured it was people manipulating the market, but I thought it was form legitimately playing it over time and not from diamonds gained out of thin air.

from the same price manipulating going on right now, it's very clear this little 'fix' is a joke. plenty of mule accounts still have as many diamonds as they could hold on those characters, and the only people hurt by the lack of a wipe are paying customers. weeks ago I put zen bought with USD into diamonds, never thinking they were going to be created out of thin air, disrupting the economy and making rates controllable by a bunch of dickwads at their whim. what this means, prices will never go below 400 diamond a zen ever again, or not for a reasonable period of time nor any time soon when it's needed by people who did not cheat. and even at that rate (400) i would be lucky to break even I think.

if i don't see the prices going back down to at least around 370ish where they before the blatant flaunting of these funds, I'm doing a payment dispute since I shouldn't lose money because of cryptic's incompetence & lack of a truly effective fix creating a level playing field and resetting the economy through resetting the servers.

I've seen screenshots 3 weeks old of support tickets reporting this, so people have been hoarding diamonds created out of thin air for weeks at the very least, and they would be impossible to be removed from those cheating players by now especially the more subtle ones who are still making money by manipulating the market as they please with those piggy bank accounts.

enough is enough. I can no longer enjoy this game thinking of this every time I log in and especially every time I look at the zen exchange and I will not take a loss on my own money due to cryptic's greed & incompetence & players' greed and ******baggery by exchanging at these <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> rates nor will I spend more USD to buy more zen for these scumbags nor will I wait forever & ever on hope that by the time I would have become naturally tired of the game it would ever change. This game is no longer enjoyable, thanks a lot to all on both sides. screw this

buh-bye now
  • necronomniconnecronomnicon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    paganhawk wrote: »
    buh-bye now

buy cheater, enjoy your mules.
    So farewell hope, and with hope farewell fear,
    Farewell remorse; all good to me is lost.
    Evil, be thou my good.
  • starkiller3434starkiller3434 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, still no words on possible glory refunds? Am I seriously the only one whos curious about that? Unless there is a total wipe ( wicth I still thinbk is the fairest solution), thats gonna be the make or break for me.

Cause I just opened this 'thank you' pack and it was exactly what I thought: A bunch of cosmetics with no actual practical items. This doesnt give me back all the glory i farmed during the rollback (over 12k), nor the epics I bought with em, not even close. The motivation to refarm that (I have too, my GS dipped 1.5k) id gone. So, am I left to assume Im gonna end up with lost progress every time someone finds a way to mess with game?

Not everyone asking for a wipe has been banned. I have done nothing wrong yet see myself extremely penalized... but hey (queue ironic tone), at least i got a thank you pack...
    edited May 2013
    buy cheater, enjoy your mules.

lol, there you go assuming again.... I don't agree, so I must be a cheater????
  • catofmanyfacescatofmanyfaces Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Let me just donate my 2 cents and say this is miles above nexons handling of problems!

Thanks for the hard work guys, and I hope you get the auction house back up soon :)
  • jordanneffjordanneff Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    vivinana wrote: »
    ^PWE employee detected

Haha, nope, just someone who doesn't rage about servers being down for a day to fix something important.

Seriously though, if you were following the twitter at all they were on there all day being very active with everyone. A lot of companies don't do that, they'll just make one post about servers being down and maybe another one several hours later if it's longer than expected. They were on all day long though making tons of posts and replies, even when people were being problematic. To me that means something.
  • starkiller3434starkiller3434 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sooooooo posting in the official forums = bad way to get an answer on my glory woes
    Twitter = good way?

todays generation is pathetic. Im not getting twitter to ask a question theyve probably been asked hundreds of times since Sunday, yet no official word on glory... not even an "we dont have a clear solution yet, well let you know more as the story develops"
  • almostsk8trxalmostsk8trx Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    When is the AH coming back up -_-.....
  • cypher9rcypher9r Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I lost my characters, but i created it last friday. And another character of mine was created may 13th...why is that?
    Does it make any sense?

dezstravus wrote: »
    Got questions about how we are handling the Astral Diamonds/Auction House exploit? We will be updating this thread with the answers to the most common questions about todays downtime, and what it means for the adventurers of Neverwinter.

Q: What happened?

A: Early Sunday morning a very small group of players discovered and abused a game exploit within the Neverwinter Open Beta that affected the Auction House and Astral Diamonds.

Q: What exactly has changed?

A: We took the Neverwinter OBT down for emergency maintenance, found the bug, corrected it and tested it. In order to fix the damage this exploit caused to the in-game economy, we implemented a necessary rollback of our servers to 5:20 AM PDT the morning of May 19, 2013. This means that characters have been reverted to the state they were in at that time, pre-exploit damage. That includes items, level, experience, etc.

We know that character progress matters in Neverwinter, so as an apology for the lost time and as profound thanks for your continued support throughout this Beta, we have put together a package of items to give everyone. More information about the Caturday Survivor's Pack is available here.

Q: What about ZEN I spent/transferred after 5:20 AM PDT?

A: You'll have any and all ZEN that you transferred to Neverwinter -- we tracked all transfers during that time and made sure players have the ZEN they should have. If you spent ZEN on items during that time, you'll need to re-buy the items, but you'll have all of that ZEN. No one will lose any money they spent on Neverwinter because of this fix. If you have any issue, please see the customer and billing support contacts below.

Q: I leveled up after 5:20 AM PDT -- what happens to that progress?

A: Unfortunately, in order to properly fix this exploit, that progress has, by necessity, been lost. We know how much that progress means to all Neverwinter players, though, so we have put together a package of items to thank everyone for their support. More information about the Caturday Survivor's Pack is available here.

Q: What about the ZEN I bought/sold after 5:20 AM PDT in the Astral Diamond Exchange?

A: All ZEN exchanged during this period will be returned to the original owners.

Q: What about my astral diamonds?

A: We are currently gathering information on this and will update this question as soon as we have a complete answer to post.

Q: What about respec tokens, or other consumables?

A: You'll have everything you had at 5:20 AM PDT. If you had the consumables before 5:20 AM PDT, you'll still have them; if you bought them with ZEN or gold that you had before 5:20 AM PDT, you'll still have that gold or ZEN.

Q: I have another question, where can I get answers?

A: Post it in this thread! We'll dig through to find common questions, and we'll edit this post to include them.

Q: But... I won the Armored Nightmare from a lockbox! I'll never get that lucky again!

A: We are currently working to restore Armored Nightmare mounts that were earned legitimately during the period of time that was rolled back.

Q: I was working on a Foundry Mission during that time. What happened to my design work?

A: We did not revert any changes in the Foundry, so your work is still there.

Q: This bug existed for more than 7 hours. What are you doing about the fact that players took advantage of this before the rollback window?

A: We are performing additional log searches and investigations to ensure that the appropriate actions are taken against any accounts that performed the exploit before the rollback window. Exploits that were performed prior to our rollback window make up a fraction of a percent of total impact, so we will be dealing with those issues selectively as not to cause greater impact on those legitimate testers.

Q: Celestial Coins were lost as a result of the downtime? What will be done about this?

A: We understand that this is a concern and we are aware of the feedback. Though we may not be able to provide replacement Celestial coins, we are certainly looking into it. As we cannot guarantee replacements, we are ensuring we shortly deliver a robust thank-you pack.

Q: What happens to Founders Packs that were purchased during the rollback window?

A: No changes were made to Founders Pack purchases. You still have access to receive your items on new characters and reclaim them on existing characters as normal. If you claimed any of the singleton items from a Founder's Pack, credit for those will have been refunded and you can reclaim them after maintenance.

Q: How is crafting affected by the rollback?

As with all character data, all crafting progress during the rollback period will be reverted.

Q: Will characters created during the rollback window be completely lost?

A: Unfortunately, yes. We understand that this is a very unfortunate circumstance. As stated above, we are working on delivering a thank-you pack as a token of our apology for this.

Q: What will happen to auctions that expired during the rollback window?

A: We do not anticipate that Auction House items will be lost. All items posted on the Auction House are still there, but do not show up as the Auction House is currently offline.

Auctions will expire as intended, though they will not be sent back immediately. They will be sent back when Auction House services are re-enabled.

Q: Will you be performing a complete shard wipe to counteract the effects of the exploit?

A: We are happy to announce that we have found a way to restore the economy and resolve this issue without significantly reverting player progress. After careful consideration, we have been able to identify and act upon what we consider to be the best course of action to ensure fairness and balance of Neverwinter's in-game economy. This plan has included the rollback of game servers to 5:20AM PDT on 5/19/13 and permanent banning of accounts that participated in the exploit. We are further investigating any measures that may need to be taken, and thank you for all of your feedback and support.

Q: Can we get some clarification on what was done regarding players who had illegitimate currency, and what steps are being taken against said players?

During Sunday
This discussion has been closed.