Install Arc
Options

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• Options
    grokit4chgrokit4ch Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "permanent banning of accounts that participated in the exploit"

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. I hope that those <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> payed a founder pack.
  • Options
    hemocrithemocrit Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    mojoman33 wrote: »
    Now that wasn't so bad was it.

"Please wipe servers! Destroy everything!" Fools.

The funniest is when somebody tries to gather more weight for their post than they should, such as, "I support a full wipe, and everybody in my guild does too. And so does everybody I've talked to in my grade school."
  • Options
    damianessdamianess Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 283 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    hampzi wrote: »
    What ive heard, this bug has been around since "launch", and there actually is specific threads about this on other forums since way back.

The economy is broken to bits and the AD exploiters are happier then ever since they only did a 7 hour rollback, it was fun while it lasted.

This game is really good, i will be back when you take the right actions, hell i will even play if you reset the whole thing.

The exploiters are going to PvP now and trolling. Inspected a rogue with Perfect Soulforged & Vorpal and Dark enchantments at rank 9. Rogue was doing 17k+ lashing blades like it was nothing. Who needs a daily when you can hit that hard on an encounter...
  • Options
    whiteshadow02whiteshadow02 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    grokit4ch wrote: »
    "permanent banning of accounts that participated in the exploit"

Thank you, that's what I wanted to know. I hope that those <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> payed a founder pack.

You do realize that permanently banning people is the same mistake Arenanet did with GW2 and because of it HUGE waves of players simply quit playing the game, going for instant permanent bans instead of warning/suspensions is just a disaster waiting to happen.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    You do realize that permanently banning people is the same mistake Arenanet did with GW2 and because of it HUGE waves of players simply quit playing the game, going for instant permanent bans instead of warning/suspensions is just a disaster waiting to happen.

Losing players that are upset an exploit is gone isn't a big loss.
  • Options
    cerkiecerkie Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

Actually it's a huge loss, the amount of people who done/tried this exploit was huge.

They rolled the accounts back, why delete them as well it makes no sense unless there not sure they rolled back properly.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

You're looking at multiple groups of players who're all going to quit at the same time is my point, maybe 1 of them exploited yes, but they aren't going to try and replace them if they've been together through previous games.
  • Options
    eidamaeidama Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're looking at multiple groups of players who're all going to quit at the same time is my point, maybe 1 of them exploited yes, but they aren't going to try and replace them if they've been together through previous games.

Loss of exploiters & anyone who supports them is never a bad thing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

> http://mopp4.net/ <
  • Options
    mrcatchymrcatchy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And what about us who lost the Armored Nightmare? either we get them back or we dont.. cant you just make up your mind? so i know if theres a point continue playing this game.. i know i will never get that lucky again !!!
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    eidama wrote: »

You're looking at this as only a small group of players, when infact it's a huge part of the community who abused this easy to do feature on the day, some for profit, others for the sheer fact of amusement, that a company can make such a fatal error for MULTIPLE GAMES. Thus why the bans shouldn't be permanent but instead have a suspension and have a warning applied to their account so should they make any more decisions that can modify the gameplay of others they do receive the ban. Bans on a first time offender is plain dumb.
  • Options
    sefeniasefenia Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 54
    edited May 2013

Just quoting for truth.
    I'm laughing about people trying to explain how it's a bad thing. Cheaters can gtfo. :)
    vn7W95H.png
  • Options
    kirroyale27kirroyale27 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Where are these contacts that you said would be listed below? I do not see any contact info. Also, the support part of the website is down.
  • Options
    neil2neil2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    You're looking at this as only a small group of players, when infact it's a huge part of the community who abused this easy to do feature on the day, some for profit, others for the sheer fact of amusement, that a company can make such a fatal error for MULTIPLE GAMES. Thus why the bans shouldn't be permanent but instead have a suspension and have a warning applied to their account so should they make any more decisions that can modify the gameplay of others they do receive the ban. Bans on a first time offender is plain dumb.

No, cheating for amusement when it can be easily tracked is plain dumb. Think of it as the PWE Darwin Awards. I'm glad those who wrecked the game for others for selfish reasons (amusement, personal enrichment, whatever) are gone. I hope they got all of them.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I'm looking at this as it stands in this game right now. Get rid of ALL of the exploiters & their alts/mules permanently ASAP. If their friends/supporters leave with them, good riddance. Thin out the garbage and set a precedent of severe punishment for this type of behavior early on. Everyone will benefit in the long run & the population will be repopulated relatively quickly with decent players.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was a guy in-game today bragging that he had not been caught.

He was selling the Cats for 40g, and 10 Keys for 20g, and was claiming to be sat on 50,000,000AD.

The rollback was ineffective. Despite the PR stunt in "A Token Of Gratitude" and the blatant lies told therein this is still having an impact on the game, and the game-economy.

I "reported" the guy for spamming, but all that seems to do is add him to my ignore list; which seems to demonstrate how little PW really cares about Gold/AD/Cat Spammers.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    nebrousnebrous Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Our hope is that the majority of currency that was gained illegitimately was removed from the game.

In your previous statement you used the words "ANY currrency"instead of "the MAJORITY of currency.
    Also, i would recommend banning e-mail adresses and IP's as well, IF you are really intent on fully banning the perpetrators.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm looking at this as it stands in this game right now. Get rid of ALL of the exploiters & their alts/mules permanently ASAP. If their friends/supporters leave with them, good riddance. Thin out the garbage and set a precedent of severe punishment for this type of behavior early on. Everyone will benefit in the long run & the population will be repopulated relatively quickly with decent players.

Problem without a wipe they simply cannot get rid of all the mules, even though the 7 hour reroll helped "slightly" the damage was done way before this.
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited May 2013
    cerkie wrote: »
    Actually it's a huge loss, the amount of people who done/tried this exploit was huge.

They rolled the accounts back, why delete them as well it makes no sense unless there not sure they rolled back properly.

No, it's not a huge loss at all. It's people who were going to leave anyway, in short order. Since unlike GW2 this game has no barrier to entry, they will be replaced by new people who actually want to PLAY the game, rapidly.

If you tried it once and reported it, good on you, that's called testing. If you tried it multiple times and racked up big AD, goodbye; you're not an asset to the game, you're an exploiter and you won't be missed.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Problem without a wipe they simply cannot get rid of all the mules, even though the 7 hour reroll helped "slightly" the damage was done way before this.

All transactions are logged. It just takes time to process it all. Over 99% of the damage was done during that 7 hours. A few followup bans will take care of 99% of the <1% that remains.

As for the folks bragging they didn't get caught:

1) yet.
    2) don't believe everything you read on the internet.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

I'm still "on the fence" about the wipe, leaning toward a wipe. I'll wait & see how everything pans out after the update & the AH/AD Exchange come back up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    meysameysa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 72
    edited May 2013

Many of the people who got banned will probably just make new accounts. It's not like it's hard to get a new email account...

I do agree with Whiteshadow, that if the account that is currently banned only shows that they used the exploit within a small time frame, that is covered by the ban, then they should get a 30 day suspension, or something like that. Maybe this would teach them the error of their ways. It taught me the error of mine when I got a 1 week suspension back in EQ when I participated in an exploit in their game where you could buy an item, use it to craft and sell it for a small but repeatable profit. I only did it for a bit and I didn't macro it, but they still took away the money I did make and warned me that this was a one time grace. It made me never want to do that again, so now when I find an exploit, I maybe perform it once, write up a detailed bug report and submit it and then NEVER do it again.

This is the action a real beta-tester will perform, they will not do it over and over to make a profit from it. Testers shouldn't be punished, exploiters should be with an eye to turning them into valuable testers, where possible.
    Storming Monte Hall Review Thread
    Storming Monte Hall NW-DRAQHLR54
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    2) don't believe everything you read on the internet.

I don't; which is why I don't believe for one second that this exploit only appeared this last weekend as the "A Token Of Gratitude" PR Stunt claims, I don't believe they've got even 25% of the exploited AD/Gear out of the economy, I don't believe that they even really care.

Whatever they did there would have been howls of complaints, but ONLY one option they could have taken would guarantee the removal of the exploited AD/Gear, and that is the not the option they chose to implement; the evidence speaks for itself - they don't care.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    xahfarxahfar Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    No, it's not a huge loss at all. It's people who were going to leave anyway, in short order. Since unlike GW2 this game has no barrier to entry, they will be replaced by new people who actually want to PLAY the game, rapidly.

If you tried it once and reported it, good on you, that's called testing. If you tried it multiple times and racked up big AD, goodbye; you're not an asset to the game, you're an exploiter and you won't be missed.

This guy gets it. It's astounding to me to see people actually defend those who knowingly exploited and caused this mess in the first place. Their inclination to continue doing so speaks volumes about their perspective on the matter and more than likely their minimal involvement as well which was deemed not enough to be permanently banned.

At the end of the day, opportunists of the exploiters nature are NOT solid, paying customers. They take advantage of every opportunity possible to avoid coming out of pocket, therefore they will not be missed and overall won't effect this games population a few weeks down the road.
  • Options
    nebrousnebrous Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    silver crusade
  • Options
    xahfarxahfar Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    meysa wrote: »
    Many of the people who got banned will probably just make new accounts. It's not like it's hard to get a new email account...

But quite a few of them aren't smart enough to ensure their IP address is different before re-signing up, so they can be tracked and easily banned again at the first sign of cheating.
  • Options
    kangarooikangarooi Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    But... I won the Armored Nightmare from a lockbox! I'll never get that lucky again!

This happened to me. Please for the love of god can i have it back. pretty bummed out :(
  • Options
    gorlie102gorlie102 Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nothing worse than listining to people you know brag about how they abused the exploit before the rollback time and didn't get their **** banned, that they still have 200cats and 500mil AD on mules.
  • Options
    fivpfivp Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hey Guys! I just wanted to let you know how proud I am of this game and how happy I am that you guys have quickly resolved the issue. NO ONE wants a rollback, least of all you - the Devs and Support teams - but, this is still Beta and this is STILL - ONE, GREAT, GAME! I purchased a Founders pack only a week before Caturday and I'm still VERY happy with my purchase. Please continue making, breaking, and re-making this AWESOME game and most of all, Keep Moving Forward. This, one of many bumps in the road, too shall pass.

Thanks again for making a great game that I love to play.
  • Options
    paganhawkpaganhawk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There was a guy in-game today bragging that he had not been caught.

He was selling the Cats for 40g, and 10 Keys for 20g, and was claiming to be sat on 50,000,000AD.

The rollback was ineffective. Despite the PR stunt in "A Token Of Gratitude" and the blatant lies told therein this is still having an impact on the game, and the game-economy.

I "reported" the guy for spamming, but all that seems to do is add him to my ignore list; which seems to demonstrate how little PW really cares about Gold/AD/Cat Spammers.

All The Best

A) They said they are still investigating.... one of the reasons AH still down.
    B) This person in chat CLAIMS they missed him.... Someone claiming something doesn't make it true.
    C) As you stated, all reporting him SEEMED to do was put him on ignore list... Do you know for a fact it didn't put him on a "check this" list?
    D) There is a lot of <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> going on there right now.... NORMAL work, PLUS all the work of investigating people, PLUS checking to try to make sure something like this is not repeatable, PLUS.... get the picture? Patience is something a lot of people seem to need to work on.... IRL problems are not solved instantly, despite how fast everything is now days... sigh.
  • Options
    edited May 2013

Go right ahead, they'll have nothing from the previous account & hopefully their mule accounts...most likely they will attempt exploiting again, in which case they'll be perma-banned again. Eventually, some "friend" will let it slip that so-and-so has a mule account & the banhammer will swing. At some point it won't be worth their time any longer.
    I do agree with Whiteshadow, that if the account that is currently banned only shows that they used the exploit within a small time frame, that is covered by the ban, then they should get a 30 day suspension, or something like that. Maybe this would teach them the error of their ways.

Not directing this at you personally but, steal a penny or steal a million dollars...still a theif.
    It taught me the error of mine when I got a 1 week suspension back in EQ when I participated in an exploit in their game where you could buy an item, use it to craft and sell it for a small but repeatable profit. I only did it for a bit and I didn't macro it, but they still took away the money I did make and warned me that this was a one time grace. It made me never want to do that again, so now when I find an exploit, I maybe perform it once, write up a detailed bug report and submit it and then NEVER do it again.

It's admirable that you've modified your thinking toward exploiting, I personally don't have that much confidence toward exploiters in general, especially the ones we've experienced recently in this game. Using Twitch to illustrate how it's done, millions of AD on multiple mules, etc., bragging about it and kudos from their followers...pure garbage.
    This is the action a real beta-tester will perform, they will not do it over and over to make a profit from it. Testers shouldn't be punished, exploiters should be with an eye to turning them into valuable testers, where possible.

Agreed
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

This discussion has been closed.