Install Arc
Options

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• Options
    aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    malcryz wrote: »
    Never thought I'd say this about a game but... Thank you for the rollback! ^-^'' The irl-time may be lost and I feel bad for those that got rare things from dungeons or Nightmare boxes but in the end, the AD sinks are probably calibrated for smaller amounts and would have taken possibly forever to suck out the AD and return the economy to normal. ;o

Thank you for taking care of this so fast, and thanks for keeping us updated! =)

A word of advice. If you're hired, or volunteer to astroturf. Do try to go about it with some manner of subtlety. You're so obvious I can actually see cleat-marks in your post.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • Options
    cathgar457cathgar457 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    scarmory wrote: »
    WHY WOULD YOU USE REAL MONEY DURING A BETA PHASE??? Where's the logic in that? Personally I would use real money when the game is properly released and it is not in beta form.

How people spend their own money has got not one iota to do with you or your opinions.
  • Options
    justworknamejustworkname Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2013
    wimpazoid wrote: »
    I've only recently reached level 60 and have been actively farming epic dungeons for purples, I'm somewhat dismayed and would hate to see how much of those hard earned purple geared I've lost dur to the rollback.

It does suck that some ppl will lose a few things, but the window of time the rollback affects if pretty darn small. Anyone who tries to say they got much more than genearlly 2 or 3 full dungeon runs finished in that wondow of time was either exploiting in some way themself or not being honest... and thats if they were going non stop with a static party. The rollback covers 1 single dungeon delve hour...

Given teh completely unecessary but nice gesture of free stuff as an apology, and the other option you were looking at... having earned some items which were valueless in a thrashed economy, I think if you look at it youre far better off now, with the small rollback and knowing that further exploiters are being tracked down atm to be dealt with on a case by case.

Remember to those ppl who abused this and think they somehow managed to escape notice... every player to player transaction, every AH transaction, AD purchase, Zen purchase, you name it for the past week can be looked at. So you passed off your abused loot 10x... unless u think there is some kind of hidden digital bed that exists outside the coding of the game, you're looking to lose.
  • Options
    tidusthebest90tidusthebest90 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This player used exploit and you banned him saturday for only 72 hours,so why a roleback of only 7 hours? this player have public streaming of exploit saturday. http://youtu.be/nSHO1vjv6UY
  • Options
    jasongoemaatjasongoemaat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    "I've only recently reached level 60 and have been actively farming epic dungeons for purples, I'm somewhat dismayed and would hate to see how much of those hard earned purple geared I've lost dur to the rollback."

You'll lose the same amount of spent playtime as a level 1 character.
  • Options
    klownzeroklownzero Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mandrab wrote: »
    I only joined this game at the 18th. Managed to get to lvl 20, epic horse from the lock box and over all, very pleased with my character. Have read over some of the complaints here and I would tell you, from an experienced players point of view, this action is better than not doing any thing, or do as SOE did with SWG.
    Every time they had a rollback (mind you, that game where not in beta, it was live and had been for some time), they gave the players 2x, 3x, 4x the xp to compensate for rollbacks. It ruined the game really, since that game had an alpha class that needed lots of xp.
    Some players in that game duped money through an exploit. The duped money where not removed from the economy and it made a mess of the economy until the end.

So i am glad they do this and do a rollback, so that every one now and in the future start and continues on the same lvl field.

Keep up the good work. The game it self feel a bit like SW:TOR/WoWish and at the same time not. Its as far from a sandbox you can get, but i still look forward to see what this game can bring.

You're right, My already Level 60 totally needs the XP boost. Whew, And for a second there I thought EVERYTHING else I lost would go for naught, but I GET XP boosts....You see where this is going, right?
    When the shadow's embrace you, it is there you will find me.
  • Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    WHY WOULD YOU USE REAL MONEY DURING A BETA PHASE??? Where's the logic in that? Personally I would use real money when the game is properly released and it is not in beta form.

- in game shop for real money working
    - no wipe after the current "open beta" phase.

This is a release, they call "open beta" so in problems like the actual they can say "eh, it's beta, not our fault" ...
  • Options
    dobsje25dobsje25 Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    bobnobob wrote: »
    90% of the exploits in this game were KNOWN, REPORTED AND IGNORED BY CRYPTIC way back in CLOSED beta. They deserve everything that is happening to their poorly coded,unfinished game with no content. You people saying "poor devs, they have to deal with big bad exploiters" are the real problem of this game and the gaming industry overall, you are sheep on which developers who release unfinished games and charge for beta access thrive.

http://i.imgur.com/AXx48W3.jpg

LOL, what a troll!
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Good lord, the Lawyer types are still trying to out do each other - its like a episode of LA Law - and just as <Yawn> inducing!
  • Options
    inspector135711inspector135711 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Use CAPS and make DEMANDS!
  • Options
    daddyjackdaddyjack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    actually there are plenty of "theft of money" and "serious crimes" that don't involve murder that are considered felonies.

stealing someones mail ...... um anything over a boarder like guns drugs , some foods ... many fed crimes ... tax fraud you could go on and on
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    cant believe you letting people who cheated first and had more 1 account get away Scot free so they gety to keep bills ad they exploited give 3 day roll back so no one has instante win.

or think about new sever where founders still get there head start joke tbh. that ppl profit out of this and your allowing them to.

You obviously didn't read anything they've said about this.
    Removal of all AD & items, permabans & beyond? Tracing all exploiters AND their mule accounts? That's not exactly "scot-free."
    Pay attention, please.
  • Options
    vlammenzeevlammenzee Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    To counter this sort of abuse, release NA / EU servers, so it's easyier to find out where it happend, also that doesnt require the entire game world to get a rollback, Yes it's understandable you guys are doing a rollback, on the other hand it's not fair to the ''NON'' exploiters to lose character exp/quests/items, for myself i've lost purple gear + a mount because of the rollback :(.
    If you realized how powerful your thoughts are, you would never think a negative thought
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    himemidplzhimemidplz Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    What I don't understand is the bunch of tickets from the closed beta warning PWE about this exploit. Have they all been ignored and "lost" ? Are the developpers too lazy to add a single line to their code ? If (bid<0) {...}. Cmon, it's not like this exploit is hard to fix, it takes about 5 minutes... Is it part of a scam or something ?

Well, this game is a joke... Uninstalling right now.
  • Options
    run3wolfrun3wolf Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the 7 hour rollback wont change a thing to the economy.. it was broken long ago.... blind idiots....this is just an attempt to say ."oh we did something when **** hit the fan"... this is not a solution ... u really want to fix the game then wipe it.... i have high level characters as well but i dont care.. i want a good game ... not one with a fcked up market ... but cryptic wont wipe.. cause if the market is broken then more people will spend real money itself to get items since they are priced so high... all this is happening cause of your own greed cryptic... you deserve all the trouble you are getting and more....greedy *****.
  • Options
    blapples86blapples86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So, I don't really know that this solution is the best possible solution, but I also have no way of knowing that it isn't. How do all of you people claiming a full wipe is the only good solution know this? I am guessing that if there are logs that can be checked from AH/zen market that can identify the exploiters then the same logs can identify any mules or whatever else illicitly produced in game currencies were hidden in. After all, is there any other way to transfer zen or AD than through the AH or zen market? It could be "laundered" through buying and trading items, but what makes anyone think there aren't logs of that which can be tied to exploiters accounts?

Personally, I don't care if a wipe is the best solution. Go ahead and wipe it if that is the case. However, I am also not going to go around posting like I am privy to some information that I am not which allows me to know wiping is the best and only good solution. If someone pro full wipe does have some kind of facts other than that this exploit has been going on for longer than the last day and they are completely guessing that exploiting before that point is going to go unchecked, then by all means put it out here for us. I would be interested to learn of these new facts. Otherwise I know myself, and most likely others, would appreciate people stfu with their speculation based on partial if any information (at least when it comes to those people putting such speculation forward as if it is hard fact).

Btw, thanks for taking care of this issue now Cryptic. I am prone to think, even despite not having all the facts about it at my disposal, it really should have been dealt with when it was first discovered in closed beta given the potential damage it could do. But, hindsight is 20/20. Just please learn from this and be on top of such dangerous threats more quickly in the future. Also, your communication does leave a bit to be desired (not much in life doesn't) in details, but it is still far better than many game companies I have done business with. So, please keep up what good work you are doing in that regard and improve it as much as possible into the future.
  • Options
    daddyjackdaddyjack Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    greymasque wrote: »
    You obviously didn't read anything they've said about this.
    Removal of all AD & items, permabans & beyond? Tracing all exploiters AND their mule accounts? That's not exactly "scot-free."
    Pay attention, please.

oh oh are you an english teacher .. cn i imispell thiks for you?
  • Options
    fattynicksfattynicks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kharpo7 wrote: »
    Ok As far as what is happening to the exploiters, PW can't openly say. However I've heard reports of a Drow assassin hit squad has been given a list of names.

A lot of good it will do. The exploiters are in full top tier gear, Drow Assassins die in like 3 hits!
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    bobnobob wrote: »
    Well gee, would you look at that, it's a guardian. Yeah, I bet you are not an exploiter at all. Let me guess how many bugs you reported from the closed beta, I'd say it's around 0.

Hot **** you people are so quick to point fingers at guardians/heroes for being exploiters. Your all so stupid haha. Didnt even get to play much during my beta testing and didnt have my AD but yeah...im the exploiter alright. ****, grow a brain ok buddy? ^_^
  • Options
    perfectself82perfectself82 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This has been going on for longer than just a single day.

Some of us posted bug reports about this a week ago or more.

This bug never should have happened, it was a known issue dating back to the closed beta for star trek online. The gateway should have never been allowed to go live without the fix(which already existed) being applied.

It just boggles the mind, it really really does.
  • Options
    ist4ndalon3ist4ndalon3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    daddyjack wrote: »
    stealing someones mail ...... um anything over a boarder like guns drugs , some foods ... many fed crimes ... tax fraud you could go on and on

like white-collar crimes in a way?
  • Options
    bladevisebladevise Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Originally Posted by genryu20
    LMAO all you people are too funny. Seriously why would anyone drop hundreds of dollars into a game period? Let alone one thats just starting out, coming out of testing beta. People just want something to complain over
    drexl420 wrote: »
    Word. Thank god I pirate all my games and play only F2P online games. LOL at the idiots who actually pay for their games.

Awww how cute, a little troll on troll love with a reach around.
  • Options
    unimatrixalpha1unimatrixalpha1 Member Posts: 173 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Given the circumstances, I think Cryptic and their staff handled themselves admirably. Though the updates were vague with ETAs, they at least made a good effort in communicating with the players. Also, they addressed the exploitations with permanent bans and a roll back, while trying to minimize the impact to it's player base. So, they provided a satisfactory resolution that was well balanced. I've no doubt that they will continue to sift through the data and take action of exploiters before the roll back time frame.
  • Options
    eightbitlovereightbitlover Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm glad for this, I hope they burn those cheaters to the ground.
  • Options
    justworknamejustworkname Member Posts: 63
    edited May 2013

Because once a game is properly released, its completely exploit and bug free?

At least during the time period they are billing as an beta period, the direction funds from purchases theoretically goes is hopefully more in teh direction of work being done on the game, rather than even moreso simply into the pockets of investors, many of whom don't game and dont know or care anything about gaming, let alone this particular title.... who only care about getting as much money out of their investment as they can milk. Not saying that in itself is wrong either... just less savory for where I'd like my money to go, personally.
  • Options
    psycadelicapsycadelica Member Posts: 38
    edited May 2013
    still no ETA on server's up?
  • Options
    songreaver007songreaver007 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ctdummy80 wrote: »
    This is why they said in the Q&A... that they put at the beginning of this thread... That this will handle the majority of the problem and the rest will be dealt with on an account by account basis as they continue to research the issue.

Far as I know this exploit has been going on for some time and there are several others. The big issue is that many of these people already sold AD to the gold farmer companies and they have sold ad to others for money. Many also most likely sold ad on the zen market and collected a bunch of zen off of it and used it to buy other things over the past few weeks. The question is if we do end up getting a wipe due to these major exploits and a wrecked economy if we did spend money for zen or put zen into our accounts would our zen then be refunded? and what of all the AD we acquired and spent would that too be reimbursed? Plus all of the work we put into characters pets etc. For now they are doing a roll back but in reality they may be forced to do a new wipe if the exploit was bigger than they thought and more damaging than anticipated.
  • Options
    leonmatthewsleonmatthews Member Posts: 1
    edited May 2013
    naldo14 wrote: »
    Any of u know a time converter cause im from asia i want to identify what time is 5:20 AM PDT

PDT = UTC - 8

what asia time zone u on?

for me is UTC + 7 so my time is ahead 15 hours from PDT
  • Options
    bobnobobbobnobob Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dobsje25 wrote: »
    LOL, what a troll!
    L-L-LOL W-W-WHAT A TROLL!

Why, hello there perfect world employee.
  • Options
    dhjinn8700dkdhjinn8700dk Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Any estimate on when the servers will be back online?
This discussion has been closed.