Install Arc
Options

FAQ - AD/AH Exploit Follow-Up

Comments

• Options
    redlanceredlance Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 95
    edited May 2013
    scarmory wrote: »
    People actually using real money on a FREE TO PLAY GAME (wow just wow) and complain when <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> hits the fan. Personally, you people who got SCREWED with your real money should blame yourselves.
    If people won't use real money on the in game shop, game will not earn profits and game development and maintenance will be stopped. Are you really to blame who is supporting the development of the game? Thanks to them, you can play for free... There is no FREE to play game, it's only a game where you can play without buying box or paying a monthly fee, but has micro-transactions (in game store) to earn profits.
    Software Houses have to make profit or go bankrupt
  • Options
    sofademonsofademon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 75
    edited May 2013
    It was reported by many people back in STO days which was a year ago, and then again, REPEATEDLY in closed beta, and in alpha, yet they did nothing... smells like a money making scheme. The current PR cover up is making it seem WAY more apparent.

Did you know about it? Did you report it? I keep hearing all these claims that this was common knowledge, but I have yet to hear from anyone who actually did anything about it. I had not heard a thing about it before today, and according to the devs less than 1% of the exploit transactions occurred before today.
  • Options
    gulthukgulthuk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Scarmory I am curious are you talking about using real money as in buying gold/ad from a site or as in dropping some cash on founders packs and ZEN? I certainly agree its Ludacris to buy currency from sites for a free game but buying zen I would say is in no way bad at all. I like the game I want it to thrive and honestly I can think of plenty of worse things to blow a small amount of my disposable income on then getting random items off the ZEN market and supporting a game I truly enjoy. Which like you hasn't really been the case since vanilla wow.
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fattynicks wrote: »
    This is very likely untrue. With millions of transactions happening on a daily basis, they cannot possibly keep log files of everything that goes on, it would take more space than space exists in todays computing environment, not to mention the cost of said storage would be well beyond that of a "free to play" gaming company.

So, either they're lying completely about their actions (and so have other game developers like Blizzard), or they have a way to log all that transaction info efficiently.
    Now, I'm no programmer, but I do know that most games have backups of the entire game going back at least to the last few major updates with no problem. I don't see why 3 weeks of transaction logs would overwhelm an entire roomful of servers.
  • Options
    hardegangerhardeganger Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    when will be able to play again?
  • Options
    arrowmaticarrowmatic Member Posts: 91 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I vote for wipe out everything, thats the only way to fix this. Plus this might help for a sooner server being up and its only BETA

Except it's not, and I hope that's obvious to everyone now. If this was an actual beta they would simply wipe the servers, deploy a fresh new build without the bug, and tell us to get back to testing. But the game is live, you see, and they can't do that.
  • Options
    chelseacrafterchelseacrafter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    js3b wrote: »
    even tho your right he could go in court for violating a contract, you should read the felony word in a dictionary

The definition of "felony" in a dictionary will not be legally accurate in defining what an actual felony is unless you are using a legal dictionary. Violations of contract would not be worth pursuing except as an additional charge to add on top of the felony of hacking, internet theft of intellectual property and other applicable criminal felonies. Contract law is civil law that is really a waste of time in and of itself in such a case as this. One bonus that would apply is any individual who is in another state or country who engaged in this activity would be eligible as a federal felony, not just a state felony, which then enters the FBI or other agencies into the issue and carries a much more serious penalty. Any time you commit a felony that crosses outside your home state it becomes a federal crime. So yeah... technically speaking this matter could be pursued by simply handing over the information to the FBI and letting them go to work. Whether PWE does this is a different matter. In the past, they have not done anything like this. Case in point... the Forsaken World "Sebestimated" incident where a group of players were attacking the servers and constantly crashing the game as well as other PWE games because they were trying to extort in game money & so forth out of PWE for some crazy reason no one ever could quite understand due to a language barrier. At any rate... PWE found a way to thwart their attack and stop them however as far as anyone knows they did not pursue criminal charges against the group of players or their leader. So I doubt they will do anything different this time.
  • Options
    ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    By the way... I hope the guy who made $6000 selling to third parties remembers to claim it on his taxes... if not it's gonna suck for him the way the IRS is coming after people now.
  • Options
    perfectgentlemanperfectgentleman Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Zzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Good night.
    136756193967372238.gif
  • Options
    kassadiskassadis Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mandrab wrote: »
    I only joined this game at the 18th. Managed to get to lvl 20, epic horse from the lock box and over all, very pleased with my character. Have read over some of the complaints here and I would tell you, from an experienced players point of view, this action is better than not doing any thing, or do as SOE did with SWG.
    Every time they had a rollback (mind you, that game where not in beta, it was live and had been for some time), they gave the players 2x, 3x, 4x the xp to compensate for rollbacks. It ruined the game really, since that game had an alpha class that needed lots of xp.
    Some players in that game duped money through an exploit. The duped money where not removed from the economy and it made a mess of the economy until the end.

So i am glad they do this and do a rollback, so that every one now and in the future start and continues on the same lvl field.

Keep up the good work. The game it self feel a bit like SW:TOR/WoWish and at the same time not. Its as far from a sandbox you can get, but i still look forward to see what this game can bring.
    May 2013 interesting join date its the same with all of the other positive feedback so far anyone else noticing this
  • Options
    aulmpiteraulmpiter Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tehcly1 wrote: »
    I think this sums up the situation perfectly, if anyone is wondering what the final result of all this will be.

http://i.imgur.com/MjqjocV.jpg

You forgot to add:

"JPEG creating troll uses comic sans. Typography loses."
  • Options
    vitizaxvitizax Member Posts: 75 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Nobody is going to read this post ever! tons of replys!
  • Options
    totallyspamtotallyspam Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Awesome guys, thanks for all your hard work on resolving the issue.
  • Options
    bobnobobbobnobob Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    90% of the exploits in this game were KNOWN, REPORTED AND IGNORED BY CRYPTIC way back in CLOSED beta. They deserve everything that is happening to their poorly coded,unfinished game with no content. You people saying "poor devs, they have to deal with big bad exploiters" are the real problem of this game and the gaming industry overall, you are sheep on which developers who release unfinished games and charge for beta access thrive.

http://i.imgur.com/AXx48W3.jpg
  • Options
    sykotikkytensykotikkyten Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    One last Q before bed, please tell me you're looking into a way to turn off the stupid Nightmare Horse spam? Chat only would be fine, but i can't bloody stand the raid warning every minute or so. >_<
  • Options
    ravencraft89ravencraft89 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Honestly, I think they are doing a pretty good job with all of this. Considering they could do like other game developers *coughcoughWarZcough* and start banning players left and right, a roll over with further investigations seems perfectly logical. At least they arent <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> people over completely, much like the the company mentioned earlier.
  • Options
    ctdummy80ctdummy80 Member Posts: 57
    edited May 2013
    greymasque wrote: »
    So, either they're lying completely about their actions (and so have other game developers like Blizzard), or they have a way to log all that transaction info efficiently.
    Now, I'm no programmer, but I do know that most games have backups of the entire game going back at least to the last few major updates with no problem. I don't see why 3 weeks of transaction logs would overwhelm an entire roomful of servers.
    It's hopeless, I've tried to explain this to them, but for some reason they seem to think single transactions are measured in gigabytes and they don't believe anyone can possibly afford to house that much data.
  • Options
    tredotredo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    sofademon wrote: »
    Please dial down the idiocy. If you had actually read the post you would know that more than 99% of the exploit occurrences were in those 7 hours, and the ones before that are being dealt with on and individual account basis.

Kettle black at your house, you actually believe that 99% was done in those 7 hours? 99% of what? 99% according to whos numbers? What numbers? I may be able to agree that 99% of the people online at the time took part in in a cat for gold purchase or was given a piece of great gear for nothing, however, don't be fooled into thinking that 99% of the AD dup / AH bug was done in those 7 hours. Hundreds of millions, perhaps in the Billions of AD were pushed into the economy way before the 7 hours. I would maybe think twice about telling someone to stop the idiocy.
  • Options
    pepepoepepepoe Member Posts: 37
    edited May 2013
    If they can roll back just 7 hour's and refund any and all transaction's for Zen why can they not do a full wipe of the servers to sort out the mess once and for all.

Yes there will be some people that leaves the game but there will also be new players coming along and the servers economy will be a better place for it.
  • Options
    ist4ndalon3ist4ndalon3 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ctdummy80 wrote: »
    By the way... I hope the guy who made $6000 selling to third parties remembers to claim it on his taxes... if not it's gonna suck for him the way the IRS is coming after people now.

LOL... nice one
  • Options
    mirimeromirimero Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is this thank-you package for absolutely everyone or just for those who were affected? I know I was asleep the entire time. :p

Anyway, I hope this could be fixed soon. I personally don't care about the exploits and I'd love to get back to playing. Thanks for the regular updates, though.
  • Options
    redneckroninredneckronin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    dezstravus wrote: »
    Hey All,

The most common request in this thread is an ETA on when the servers will be available again.

Wrong.

The most common request is for information on why you think a 7 hour rollback will do anything at all to fix an economy broken by weeks worth of exploiting.

I started playing the game and immediately thought that the economy was unbalanced, but put that down to me being new and having oi in-game currencies; now it appears I was right, the economy had been borked since before I started playing.

I'd love to have a couple of extra character slots, maybe even a half decent mount, but there is no way on earth I am spending real money on a virtual currency for an economy that is already broken.

You really do need to consider a full reset at "Hard Launch"; and stop treating us like idiots by explaining these issues as "Beta test" teething issues. You are accepting real money for in-game items, the game is in effect live.

All The Best
    Campaign: Call Of The Wild - Information, Links To Review Threads, Screenshots

Looking For Reviews For Your Foundry Quest?
    Drop By Scribe's Enclave & Meet Up With Volunteer Reviewers.
  • Options
    gulthukgulthuk Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kassadis wrote: »
    May 2013 interesting join date its the same with all of the other positive feedback so far anyone else noticing this

Yeah but that's because a lot of us couldn't get into closed beta lol. I got my invite but was out of country on family issues for a month so didn't get to come on till I think day 3 or so of open beta lol
  • Options
    uristqwertyuristqwerty Member Posts: 34
    edited May 2013
    One last Q before bed, please tell me you're looking into a way to turn off the stupid Nightmare Horse spam? Chat only would be fine, but i can't bloody stand the raid warning every minute or so. >_<

You can actually set what sort of messages show in the chat window. Just turn off admin, and you're fine. Or, alternatively, turn off local, and be free of all chat spammers!
  • Options
    ministerofchangeministerofchange Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    kassadis wrote: »

Maybe that's because a lot of people didn't activate the Forum Account till today to see what was going on and weigh in, May 2013 is also when most people started playing it since it wasn't open till the 30. Not everyone was in the closed beta and not everyone uses the forums until something like this happens and they want to weigh in.

My join date is before May 2013 and I really only have good stuff to say about NW, sure this is a shame that it happened, but something as minor as this isn't going to turn me against a really cool game. Heck look at the Diablo 3 mess they just fixed, compared to that mess this one is just a small OOPS!
  • Options
    rengetsu08rengetsu08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 44
    edited May 2013
    everyone should get a free horse with +80% movement without duration... for the roll back that gonna happen, **** it i've spent 12 hours playing this at the said roll back time and this is compensation should be adequate, ive got my cleric leveled up and got some pretty good item, so yeah it gonna affect my gameplay improvement and some items ive acquired during that time.. im mad right now... this doesnt even make justice to the honest player who played hours and spent real money doing so...
    Half-Elf Devoted Cleric-Divine Oracle Build, Powers and Feats:V1.0, V2.0
  • Options
    genryu20genryu20 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 2
    edited May 2013
    bobnobob wrote: »
    90% of the exploits in this game were KNOWN, REPORTED AND IGNORED BY CRYPTIC way back in CLOSED beta. They deserve everything that is happening to their poorly coded,unfinished game with no content. You people saying "poor devs, they have to deal with big bad exploiters" are the real problem of this game and the gaming industry overall, you are sheep on which developers who release unfinished games and charge for beta access thrive.

http://i.imgur.com/AXx48W3.jpg

STFU lol No one ignored any of it.
  • Options
    ideagorasideagoras Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 55
    edited May 2013
    Free cat for everyone! If you did this, I will forgive my invested time lost along with about 6 million worth of items.

Please, it would amuse my sense of humor.

I shall name it Black Sunday.
  • Options
    murdochemurdoche Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    rajanixisa wrote: »
    While contract violation wouldn't necessarily get him a felony charge, hacking/unauthorized use of a computer/computer network IS a felony charge.

Which reminds me, there's US lawmakers trying to get the anti-hacking act broadened (in the name of security, of course) so you could be sued/arrested for violating the ToS of a website (say, using a psuedonym on your facebook/google+ account)

The proper term of a felony is a serious crime like murder but the theft of money would be listed as a misdemeanor actually and depending on how much theft has happened subjects the person to stiffer penalties. Here is the terms of a misdemeanor to the us legal system whcih is who would sue for lost damages considering the company is based in the US. http://definitions.uslegal.com/m/misdemeanor/ Now the main issue is, all those piddly cheating <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> are based in countries that have no laws against the hacking going on which is the main problem. So most likely its lost even if they did get the shaft in some ways.
  • Options
    greymasquegreymasque Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    tehcly1 wrote: »
    I think this sums up the situation perfectly, if anyone is wondering what the final result of all this will be.

http://i.imgur.com/MjqjocV.jpg

Good to know you didn't bother to actually find out what was being done about the exploit. I guess making a childish image in MSpaint takes less reading comprehension.
This discussion has been closed.