test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Full wipe remarks

Comments

• Options
    rhaynedroprhaynedrop Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Granted, a wipe seems like the easiest way to fix things...until you think a little further. Are the bugs and exploits going to be fixed, really fixed? Releveling toons through the same content is not ideal, but losing RL money that I and others have paid for HotN/Guardian founder packs and Zen is totally unacceptable. Having our RL money just "poof" with no return or adequate compensation smacks too much of fraud and will alienate the paying player database PW is trying to cultivate. So draw that line in the sand, wipe the slate clean and start over...IF and only IF you plan on refunding our HotN/Guardian goodies and ALL of our ZEN our RL money paid for.
  • Options
    robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I support a full wipe, so long as I am refunded my Founder Pack, and Zen purchases, so I can move on to better things.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
  • Options
    lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've made close to 5 million AD through legitimate means. And I support a full wipe that this point. You have NO idea what the last two exploits did to the economy. I do, and I can see where it's going. As far as a "rollback", this has been occurring since OB started, so, take that for the amount of time that needs "rolling back" - it wasn't just a few days.

While Cryptic might datamine and catch the characters who did it, the majority of that currency has been laundered. And that will become impossible to trace, as the smarter ones made hundreds of millions, and did it from different IPs (I'm no exploiter, but even with a job as QA for a software company, I could manage that).

The AD economy problem is irreversible this late. It won't "correct itself". I'm pretty sure any graduate of advanced economics can get into detail for you, which I will leave off of here.

As a software tester, I know the problem was that there just wasn't enough testing done (even in alpha, and yes, I know exactly how much testing was done in alpha) to be able to find this stuff. This is why you do an Open Beta before an official release or "go live" and let players tear it apart. Log everything done, analyze, and stop listening to players but look at the logs. Then delete and start. That part of the process never happened, which is where we are now.
  • Options
    liquidc86liquidc86 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    see people saying "wipe" -- do you mean like a complete, beginning-of-time wipe? I can guarantee that won't happen

neverwinter oficial twitter.

no wipes
    nothing to see here
  • Options
    vernedndvernednd Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 215 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    liquidc86 wrote: »
    see people saying "wipe" -- do you mean like a complete, beginning-of-time wipe? I can guarantee that won't happen

no wipes

Yup. Let us hope they have a good plan. If not, then we will need some serious spaying and neutering of all the cats that will be running around!

Cheers!
    Fighter.jpg
  • Options
    stopthi5stopthi5 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    liquidc86 wrote: »

no wipes

Beat me to it! :p
  • Options
    errornametaken69errornametaken69 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    The negative number exploit has been working since day 1, Leveling to 60 in no time with foundry exploits before they got fixed and GF exploiting bugs two-shotting endgame bosses resulting in more loot epic loot than they knew what to do with. Those are just the exploits I can recall on the top of my head and I haven't been paying attention.

I say they should act like it's a beta for once and do a full rollback before release.
  • Options
    lathiezanlllathiezanll Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    divenity wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but do you know how stupid you sound? People that bought the AD with real money worked for it too, in comparison, their job took them a lot more effort than you sitting at your computer.

Lol... this guy.

So you say its more work for you if you for example need to work 1 minute to be able to buy 1 enchanted key then a F2Play player (who is forced to f2play) who needs days of gaming to be able to afford a key?

Wow your life must be so hard. Its really easy to point with a finger when you are financial okay.
  • Options
    molaighmolaigh Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will not even justify this by voting. The developers promised no character wipes once the open beta started. To re-neg on this just because of some exploits would be ridiculous. We're talking about an economy in a PvE game. Move on. The market will recover from whatever has been done. If a few players end up with more money or equipment it has little effect on most players ability to enjoy the game. A full character wipe would have bad effects on everyone.
  • Options
    jrockboyjrockboy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'll support a full wipe, as long as I get my Zen back.
  • Options
    papabear27papabear27 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    flynte1 wrote: »
    I support a full wipe as long as i am returned all my Zen and founder AD :)

Dijtto!!!!
  • Options
    cyguard1cyguard1 Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I would support a wipe, but as others have stated there has been a lot of money tossed out to this game. Perhaps an alternative could help restore the economy. Something like a price cap on items. Anyone over that cap currently would have those items returned to them via mail and they would have to resubmit them to the AH. Same thing for the amount of Zen a person can purchase through the AD/Zen exchange. Maybe two or three purchases a day limit. Granted it isn't the best solution, but it is probably easier to implement and help restore the economy versus just letting it ride.
    Foundry Designs: Once a Dungeon Master, always a Dungeon Master.
  • Options
    starkaosstarkaos Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »
    As a software tester, I know the problem was that there just wasn't enough testing done (even in alpha, and yes, I know exactly how much testing was done in alpha) to be able to find this stuff. This is why you do an Open Beta before an official release or "go live" and let players tear it apart. Log everything done, analyze, and stop listening to players but look at the logs. Then delete and start. That part of the process never happened, which is where we are now.

And they shot themselves in the foot with the whole "No Wipe" thing. If the game was going to be wiped when Open Beta ended, then there would be no issue. People do not get attached to their open beta characters since they know they are going to be deleted. Money is not spent during an open beta since that any item you purchase is going to be deleted and the Zen refunded. People don't grind as much in open beta. Exploiters aren't active during open beta since there is no value to anything. Ever since they said this game would have no more wipes, this game was not in open beta.

Doing a character wipe would lose them more customers than people leaving due to the state of the economy. How can anyone trust them when they go back on their word? Also, if they do a wipe, then it sets a precedent that to fix a game a wipe is a perfectly valid method when it is the absolute last resort. A character wipe is a nuke when a sniper rifle is the appropriate response. The fallout from character wipes would pollute the game for years to come assuming it survives.
  • Options
    daschladaschla Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 240 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I do not support a wipe. Doing so will result in my going elsewhere and charging back the cost of the game, and the zen purchased.

I refuse to suffer for a few, sorry.
    Sister Vanity knows if you've been naughty or nice...and heals accordingly.
  • Options
    cujo669cujo669 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    80% of the yes votes are the exploiters that know they are doomed for a rollback so now they push to get everyone wiped!

I did not spend a bunch of cash and hours in crafting to have it all taken away due to some low life hackers and cheats.

The only reason i started playing this seriously is because they assured that there would be no more wipes.

That would just prompt me to uninstall and never come back.
  • Options
    chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Member Posts: 2,617 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So you say its more work for you if you for example need to work 1 minute to be able to buy 1 enchanted key then a F2Play player (who is forced to f2play) who needs days of gaming to be able to afford a key?

My job involves boiling hot grease, heavy lifting, and the potential for randomly getting shot. You're playing a freaking video game. Yeah, my work is harder than yours. I can't even... This is logic put forth by people who've never worked an honest day in their lives. If you had, you'd know how much harder a real job is than laying around playing a **** video game.
    molaigh wrote: »
    I will not even justify this by voting. The developers promised no character wipes once the open beta started. To re-neg on this just because of some exploits would be ridiculous. We're talking about an economy in a PvE game. Move on. The market will recover from whatever has been done. If a few players end up with more money or equipment it has little effect on most players ability to enjoy the game. A full character wipe would have bad effects on everyone.

This is hardly just some exploits. Level bug? Sure, whatever. This is the ability to get *millions* of astral diamonds in a very short amount of time. This isn't just some more money or equipment, this is "own every item in the zen store and all highest tier gear and mods for all of my characters, plus have a few million left over" levels of insane. This is "new players will have to grind for months to afford anything on the auction house".

We already have a few examples of how this played out, because this has happened to every single cryptic title. Champions got it arguably the hardest, since the gold cap in that game is 250, but even moderately rare gear sells for more than that. the most elite stuff in game? 4x that, easy. This means that free to play players literally have to farm to gold cap 4 times just to buy a single piece of gear.

If you can't see the problems with that sort of economy, I don't know what to tell you.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • Options
    gebertengeberten Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i support full wipe :)

don't forget...this is just a game!
    don't forget...this is a BETA (open beta) !
    ==================================================
    --- Stay heavy! \m/ ---
    ==================================================
  • Options
    tyler23434tyler23434 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i wasnt in favor of a wipe after the GF dmg exploit was going on for days but after this AD/zen bug i feel a wipe would set things right as long as people who bought zen would have the amount reset in the account(similar to the process they used from beta4 to openbeta).
  • Options
    jackel4everjackel4ever Member Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I don't know why you even bothered with a poll on this. They have already said on the twitter feed that there will be no full wipe...
    Whatever ends up happening, complete wipes are off the table, and we'll work to minimize the impact while fixing the issue.

https://twitter.com/NeverwinterGame/status/336255428541444096
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »
    And they shot themselves in the foot with the whole "No Wipe" thing. If the game was going to be wiped when Open Beta ended, then there would be no issue. People do not get attached to their open beta characters since they know they are going to be deleted. Money is not spent during an open beta since that any item you purchase is going to be deleted and the Zen refunded. People don't grind as much in open beta. Exploiters aren't active during open beta since there is no value to anything. Ever since they said this game would have no more wipes, this game was not in open beta.

Doing a character wipe would lose them more customers than people leaving due to the state of the economy. How can anyone trust them when they go back on their word? Also, if they do a wipe, then it sets a precedent that to fix a game a wipe is a perfectly valid method when it is the absolute last resort. A character wipe is a nuke when a sniper rifle is the appropriate response. The fallout from character wipes would pollute the game for years to come assuming it survives.

Im not gonna act like I know the correct answer here but in their defense I dont think they knew that they would be dealing with an exploit like this one when they said no wipe.

The other concern I have is this, it seems the game wasnt properly tested for such exploits before opening the game to everyone? So if they did do a full wipe and my concern is true are we going to repeat this in the future?
  • Options
    errornametaken69errornametaken69 Member Posts: 42
    edited May 2013
    cujo669 wrote: »
    80% of the yes votes are the exploiters

92% of the no-voters don't want to lose their advantage in the ruined economy. Making up facts is fun.
  • Options
    gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    cujo669 wrote: »
    80% of the yes votes are the exploiters that know they are doomed for a rollback so now they push to get everyone wiped!

I did not spend a bunch of cash and hours in crafting to have it all taken away due to some low life hackers and cheats.

The only reason i started playing this seriously is because they assured that there would be no more wipes.

That would just prompt me to uninstall and never come back.

80% of the no votes are exploiters, or friends of exploiters, that know a rollback won't affect them, and they don't want to have to level up and earn their gear/levels/ad/zen the honest way.

All of you people whining about "wasted time" playing the game can just go. No one will miss you. We'll have fun playing the game with others that play for fun.
  • Options
    lathiezanlllathiezanll Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    @chalupaoffury

So now you also can tell i never worked a day in my life? I owned several companies and know really well what hard work is with topping weeks of 100 hours of labour. I know what it is to have ****loads of cash, and sadly because of reasons i dont feel like sharing i know what it is to be complete bankrupt.

Like i said before, you are really easy with pointing your finger and putting yourself on a big stand.
  • Options
    jlanderjlander Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    starkaos wrote: »

Im not gonna act like I know the correct answer here but in their defense I dont think they knew that they would be dealing with an exploit like this one when they said no wipe.

The other concern I have is this, it seems the game wasnt properly tested for such exploits before opening the game to everyone? So if they did do a full wipe and my concern is true are we going to repeat this in the future?
  • Options
    matrias88matrias88 Member Posts: 36
    edited May 2013
    If they do a full wipe i think my guild and i are done with the game, i just got geared in mostly T2's after grinding the instances for a long time without using any exploits. I finally had luck and got something in my DD chest worth selling and got myself a cat companion to help us out in Castle Never and i go to bed. I wake up all happy to log on and play with my guildies and try and get one of them his helm from spellplague and then i hear about all this talk about wiping my progress... we've been playing this game everyday for 12hours-30 hours falling asleep at the keyboard doing dungeons legit and we get all our stuff flushed down the drain...really? I love the combat but i cant start back at level 60 in greens let alone level 1.
  • Options
    koijukoiju Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I support roll back not full wipe, I don't wanna re-level 2 level 60 characters :P

Full wipe is excessive and would be very bad publicity, roll back server and ban any associated accounts is far more sensible.
  • Options
    gottneverwintergottneverwinter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 112 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    koiju wrote: »
    I support roll back not full wipe, I don't wanna re-level 2 level 60 characters :P

Full wipe is excessive and would be very bad publicity, roll back server and ban any associated accounts is far more sensible.

I agree. I think a roll back is fine. Roll back to the last full wipe.
  • Options
    koijukoiju Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I agree. I think a roll back is fine. Roll back to the last full wipe.

Oh hardy har har very funny :P

not

You know what I mean!
  • Options
    subocajsubocaj Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    A wipe in beta well that is unheard of. I guess that things change with F2P games. I cann't help but think that this game is still in beta and wipes were always a part of being in a beta. My my have things changed.
  • Options
    bghostbghost Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    they should have never made astral diamonds tradable. if they can change the auction house currency from AD to Gold, and add more way to get gold there will be less economic problems in the future.
This discussion has been closed.