test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Race changes and why they're needed

Comments

• zachredinzachredin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    In this thread, Roleplayers that have never heard of the wish spell.
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wish
    How does this break DnD lore if they use Wish(paying whatever money) to change their race? Hint: It doesn't.

Now, you can argue that you don't want it in the game because it makes you feel bad but the only thing that really matters is how many people feel that way vs the ones that don't. I am willing to lay down some Zen and say that there are more people that would not be negatively affected by this change than those that would.
  • kenjileekenjilee Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Race changing would certainly be possible using the Wish spell. Just sayin
  • johnfelljohnfell Banned Users Posts: 408 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Really hope the Devs read this thread...
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    This is my only problem with the game. I didn't really know what I was doing when i first made my character, and now that I enjoy the game, I really would like the opportunity to race change and re-roll my initial scores.
    edited May 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »
    This is my only problem with the game. I didn't really know what I was doing when i first made my character, and now that I enjoy the game, I really would like the opportunity to race change and re-roll my initial scores.

Yeah, alot of people want the feature, for your reason and countless others. Would be awesome. Hopefully we'll get a Dev response here.

EDIT for Update;

Just got a response from them on Twitter;

Me;
    "Hi! Any info on if/when you will implement Race Change in Zen Store? DnD supports it via spells, mass requested on forum :) "

@NeverwinterGame;
    Thanks for letting us know this is something you want! There aren't concrete plans to do that as of yet, but stay tuned. :) "

EDIT; Loving their twitter :)
  • ayamekochanayamekochan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johnfell wrote: »

Me;
    "Hi! Any info on if/when you will implement Race Change in Zen Store? DnD supports it via spells, mass requested on forum :) "

@NeverwinterGame;
    Thanks for letting us know this is something you want! There aren't concrete plans to do that as of yet, but stay tuned. :) "

I'm glad the devs have acknowledged that some of us want this feature now at least - it would be really helpful to have the opportunity to change race now I have more idea what I'm doing ingame, without having to completely start the character over again.
  • spoohtheonespoohtheone Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    johnfell wrote: »
    Yeah, alot of people want the feature, for your reason and countless others. Would be awesome. Hopefully we'll get a Dev response here.

EDIT for Update;

Me;

@NeverwinterGame;

Guess I'll just make a new cleric then -.-
  • ehraehra Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    zachredin wrote: »
    In this thread, Roleplayers that have never heard of the wish spell.
    http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Wish
    How does this break DnD lore if they use Wish(paying whatever money) to change their race? Hint: It doesn't.

The Reincarnate spell also works. In fact, this is exactly how Dungeons and Dragons Online approaches race change.

edit: Of course, I just noticed that we're linking to 3.5 spells in a discussion about a game based on 4th edition. I'm not sure if Reincarnate and Wish even exist in 4th.
    edited May 2013
    ehra wrote: »
    The Reincarnate spell also works. In fact, this is exactly how Dungeons and Dragons Online approaches race change.

edit: Of course, I just noticed that we're linking to 3.5 spells in a discussion about a game based on 4th edition. I'm not sure if Reincarnate and Wish even exist in 4th.

Yes, it's been mentioned several times in this thread. There are several ways this could be implemented from a PnP/RP standpoint, but the geeks rage on anyway, despite being beaten down with logic and proof. What can you do? :P

And I'm not certain about this, but I think atleast the various effects of the spells Wish/Miracle are still in 4th, but in Rituals instead. Don't know alot about 4e tbh, since it completely ruined DnD.

But let's all push this, yeah? The more ruckus we make, and the more constructive ways we offer and help with, the greater the chance of seeing it implemented :)
  • drussivdrussiv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    lupita170 wrote: »

Yea this, I kind of new you could roll again, but I had no idea how it works and since I was a CW and received what I thought was a quite high INT on my first roll, I thought great, let's go for it.
  • e11ze11z Member Posts: 144 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    but you chose those stats. regardless what you knew.

its what makes naturally talented players that have the foresight to understand the mechanics before. If they are so inclined to play that way.

IF you made the choices that you made, you cannot blame others for your own lack of knowledge. Its a very ignorant thing to do to blame the system because you made mistakes.

Live with them.
    It's what makes you unique as a player.

You sound like a player that can overcome simple handicaps such as a few lower stats then the other optimized players.

And besides In my honest opinion its better to have people create a character completely on their own, making it more their own then just following a stupid template showing the most efficient and effective things. otherwise whats the point of having stats if there's only one that everyone should follow.

And in regards to making money.

whats going to generate more profit.

You spending 15$.

Or you spending 2-4 weeks maxing out a character probably buying mounts/keys/etc in doing so.
    The Best PVP Guild on Dragon/Neverwinter: YoloOldSkoolSwagLoveNeverGingersLuvDupStep even if it's just one of us, you might as well just afk.
  • musashinokamimusashinokami Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 127 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Why not being able to just "reroll" your stats instead, something like a buying respec like you can do with powers or talents ..?

Actually I don't really understand the point of changing races just to re-allocate your stats... do you want to change your stats or is it a fallacious argument to get races changed ?

Cause a buyable stats respec is way easier to implement as a matter of fact, and will probably please a looot of people having their char ill leveled.
    edited May 2013
    e11z wrote: »

its what makes naturally talented players that have the foresight to understand the mechanics before. If they are so inclined to play that way.

IF you made the choices that you made, you cannot blame others for your own lack of knowledge. Its a very ignorant thing to do to blame the system because you made mistakes.

Live with them.

You sound like a player that can overcome simple handicaps such as a few lower stats then the other optimized players.

And besides In my honest opinion its better to have people create a character completely on their own, making it more their own then just following a stupid template showing the most efficient and effective things. otherwise whats the point of having stats if there's only one that everyone should follow.

You spending 15$.

Or you spending 2-4 weeks maxing out a character probably buying mounts/keys/etc in doing so.

This doesn't even deserve a serious response, imo...
  • inmydotinmydot Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I'm playing a TR half-elf, worst race you can pick... Didn't know that when I just started this game.

Signed.
  • syllvvsyllvv Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah i support this as well, i would like to see the option for a race change.

Signed
  • dewzter90dewzter90 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    YES!

Signed
  • assassin83assassin83 Member, Banned Users Posts: 276 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Just let players roll their base stats again.

No race change.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    There is a way to change race, delete your character and reroll it. Its easy enough to level in this game that you should be able to get up to your current level by the end of the week at the latest.
  • lightharvestlightharvest Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can someone tell me in great detail how exactly my character, that you don't know, that you never met, that you will likely never meet will affect you negatively if their race changes. I'm serious how does it affect you if you never see it happen, you'll never know about it. Tell me write it out and don't be vague about it I'm freaking serious what is it to you that one day I'm a human, next min I'm an elf.
    You don't know me so why does it matter how do I affect you... and I mean really affect you not just it shouldn't happen because of lore <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that does not matter sorry. Until i see a well written thought out response that's not based of philosophical B.S I can not and will not take the opposition seriously. Oh and pnp a minor wish will allow you to race change no b.s just confirmed with my D.M.
  • clannamuirclannamuir Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 217 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Can someone tell me in great detail how exactly my character, that you don't know, that you never met, that you will likely never meet will affect you negatively if their race changes. I'm serious how does it affect you if you never see it happen, you'll never know about it. Tell me write it out and don't be vague about it I'm freaking serious what is it to you that one day I'm a human, next min I'm an elf.
    You don't know me so why does it matter how do I affect you... and I mean really affect you not just it shouldn't happen because of lore <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that does not matter sorry. Until i see a well written thought out response that's not based of philosophical B.S I can not and will not take the opposition seriously. Oh and pnp a minor wish will allow you to race change no b.s just confirmed with my D.M.

Doesn't affect me. Just pointing out that you can change your race if you really want to and are willing to do a little work.
  • floordanfloordan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    gunbahaha wrote: »
    i think perfect world are more concerned with building the perfect dungeons and dragon mmo than their profits.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha
  • lupita170lupita170 Member Posts: 122 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    /signed, this needs to be offered along with ability score re-rolls asap. Make your voice heard, and keep posting in threads on this issue until we get a PW response.
  • czarkazmczarkazm Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Do the stats really make that much difference anyway? I don't have any real preference either way, allow race changes or not, it wont bother me, but I don't know why people don't just play the race they like, it doesn't seem like the stats matter that much anyway. :shrug:
  • klipstaklipsta Member Posts: 99
    edited May 2013
    syllvv wrote: »
    Yeah i support this as well, i would like to see the option for a race change.

Signed

As a Halfling TR how much is this really going to effect you/us at 60?
  • lasheslashes Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    e11z wrote: »

Live with them.

You spending 15$.

+1

In short, in an MMO just as in life, choices should have consequences. How challenging can an MMO be when regardless of the choices you make during your journey (leveling) when you get to max level you can "buy" away the mistakes made and with a magic wand of the credit card, make everything ok?

What is the importance of making critical choices during the game, when at end game there is always the security of "buying" your mistakes away?
  • phoenixrte69phoenixrte69 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bringing up money is also confusing - I think Perfect World are more concerned with building the perfect Dungeons and Dragon MMO than their profits.

You sir are joking, right ?!?
    edited June 2013
    clannamuir wrote: »
    There is a way to change race, delete your character and reroll it. Its easy enough to level in this game that you should be able to get up to your current level by the end of the week at the latest.

Well, since everything youve fought for, found or purchased, by AD or Zen, and used to be Bound, including gear, vanility stuff, companions, gets left unused... your "solution" just.. isn't one. Not a good one, in any way.

I don't get why a few are so dead set against a simple Race Change feature, something other MMOs have done very well, and something thats supported in DnD rules, especially when you take into account that they had <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> info on starting stats etc and are holding off drow race launch for atleast 2 months since OB Launch.... I seriously dont get it.
  • silvergryphsilvergryph Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 740 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Race change is perfectly in keeping with D&D lore. We just need a "Scroll of Reincarnation" in the ZEN shop. It should be at least 1000 ZEN and be a full retrain, race change, and an appearance token. Possibly even allow gender and starting ability array changes.
  • aladnisaladnis Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I don't like how you off handedly roleplayers with this offensive quote. Allowing people to race change would ruin my immersion and most likely kill the game entirely.

Bringing up money is also confusing - I think Perfect World are more concerned with building the perfect Dungeons and Dragon MMO than their profits.
    You are either a very bad troll or are new here.

If the former, be off with you. If the latter, welcome to hell!
    Fletchette F. Fletch
    newbie rogue extraordinaire
This discussion has been closed.