test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Game needs a full Character Wipe.

Comments

• pzzdachupzzdachu Member Posts: 398 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I know that I don't want to start over. Refunding my Zen won't do any good, since NW can't guarantee that I will get back my lockbox items for the same price, nor that the gear I've purchased can be purchased again at the same number of ADs.
    Well if the system is broken you should not be able to buy back everything. There is no reason any of us should have even 30 levels in as little time as we have been playing. It took me years to to grind a 40th lvl PnP character, and months to do the same in all the video games I have played since the 80s!
    Allow me to introduce myself, I am P'zzd Achu.
  • lyokiralyokira Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    pzzdachu wrote: »
    Well if the system is broken you should not be able to buy back everything. There is no reason any of us should have even 30 levels in as little time as we have been playing. It took me years to to grind a 40th lvl PnP character, and months to do the same in all the video games I have played since the 80s!

To be fair, lv 60 is equivalent to lv 20 PnP, if I'm not wrong.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    There is no reason any of us should have even 30 levels in as little time as we have been playing. It took me years to to grind a 40th lvl PnP character, and months to do the same in all the video games I have played since the 80s!

Except this isn't other games. It was designed specifically that if you do all the main storyline quests you'll be level 60 by the time you're done. Doing a character wipe does nothing to change that.
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    I'm willing to bet that less than 5% of the player base has actually exploited their way to 60. No need to punish the entire player base.
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • aislingiaislingi Member Posts: 140 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    Or they are busy working on different solutions and dont have time to hold you hand and tell you everything will be ok.

You're exactly what is wrong with the gaming community.
    The ignorant fool, who honestly believes that communication and transparency, is "hand holding" (yeah screw being informed, you're an aduuuult!*). And that a company that makes millions annually, if not hundreds of millions** can't hire a group of people to act as a link to the development team. These people are referred to normally, as community managers.

See you're one of those types of games that things everything at the company is run by five guys and they just can't find the time to tell their customers and playerbase what is going on, because they are, obviously, typing code twenty four hours a day.

Get real.

* You want to inform pboar2006? Maaaan! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ
    ** http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Perfect_World_(PWRD)/Data/Income_Statement
    I wanna go back to being weird. I like being weird. Weird's all I got, oh, and my sweet style. -Maurice Moss, The IT Crowd
  • poigtpoigt Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 89
    edited May 2013
    The 'main' game (i.e. regular questing and levelling) is hillariously - hilariously - easy from what I've experienced so far (L21) and, from what my friends who've also come from DDO and who are approaching cap have said, it doesn't get much harder.

That is not me complaining, I'm just pointing out that a: if people are still feeling the need to cheat it just goes to show what a sorry state those alleged human beings are in, psychologically speaking, so they are to be pitied not hated and b: If folks ARE cheating, you will catch them up in no time, so why not let them? I have never, ever understood the 'I had to work really hard to get x and they got it for no effort it's not fair' argument. How gaming is any different to the real world where everyone stands on the shoulders of giants to achieve new things in a fraction of the time I simply cannot comprehend. It's life, it's evolution, it's science. Get over it.

Either way, in the case of an easy game like Neverwinter, who cares what those losers are getting up to? Really?

Now, if you want to talk mechanisms to deal with gold sellers, who have sent me my first spam in game today, then I am all up for a discussion, if not a planning session involving IP tracing and black helicopters.

I guess I'm just spoiled, coming from DDO where we have lots of very-hard-to-solo quests and zero gold spamming (I mean zero - I got some the first week DDO went F2P in 2009, I have had none at all since). But even there when it came to people exploiting or exchanging loot for Turbine Points via the back door, I always thought 'how does this affect my day to day play' and have been utterly unable to come up with anything that isn't wildly speculating over how what harm it might be doing to the game company whose accounts I don't have access to in order to validate those speculations.

Gold sellers, on the other hand, do affect my gameplay by either clogging up zone/trade chat (even more than some of the awfulness currently clogging up those channels) or my in game inbox. We should round 'em up, force them to watch reality TV and TV talent shows until they go insane, then institutionalise them and condition them into something useful to the gaming world at large, such as QA testers. Who's with me?!

:)
    edited May 2013
    lyokira wrote: »
    To be fair, lv 60 is equivalent to lv 20 PnP, if I'm not wrong.
    Level 20 still takes months of adventures and full run campaigns to achieve, not 6 gaming sessions! No D&D or AD&D module took you from LVL1 to LVL60.
  • pboar2006pboar2006 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 421 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    aislingi wrote: »
    You're exactly what is wrong with the gaming community.
    The ignorant fool, who honestly believes that communication and transparency, is "hand holding" (yeah screw being informed, you're an aduuuult!*). And that a company that makes millions annually, if not hundreds of millions** can't hire a group of people to act as a link to the development team. These people are referred to normally, as community managers.

See you're one of those types of games that things everything at the company is run by five guys and they just can't find the time to tell their customers and playerbase what is going on, because they are, obviously, typing code twenty four hours a day.

Get real.

* You want to inform pboar2006? Maaaan! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAYL5H46QnQ
    ** http://www.wikinvest.com/stock/Perfect_World_(PWRD)/Data/Income_Statement

No I dont think they are run by 5 guys coding for 24 hours a day. I am also a realist they once they have their plans in place then they might, MIGHT, let us know what is going to be fixed. What would be the use of us knowing that Dev 1 had an idea how to fix AFK PVP but Dev 2 thinks that idea is stupid and has a stupid face. Nothing would be gained.
  • etherealjetherealj Member Posts: 1,091 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    pboar2006 wrote: »
    No I dont think they are run by 5 guys coding for 24 hours a day. I am also a realist they once they have their plans in place then they might, MIGHT, let us know what is going to be fixed. What would be the use of us knowing that Dev 1 had an idea how to fix AFK PVP but Dev 2 thinks that idea is stupid and has a stupid face. Nothing would be gained.

Then they might be the first company ever that doesn't have management obsessed with pointless meetings. It's ludicrous to assume they don't have goals and projects to work on at all times. Any half competent group of people can sit down, write 5 ideas down on the board and work out the logistics required to decide on a course of action. We don't know if they're designing new content, fixing old content, or having office wide NERF reenactments of the Battle of the Bulge. The only thing we can be absolutely sure of, is that the NW developers don't bother to communicate with the playerbase.
    Use the <removed exploit lead-in> to interact with the auction vendor.
  • rapticorrapticor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,078 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They really should have had another beta weekend or two to test levels 50-60 along with epic dungeons before progressing to the Open Beta.
  • denverralphydenverralphy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 145 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Level 20 still takes months of adventures and full run campaigns to achieve, not 6 gaming sessions! No D&D or AD&D module took you from LVL1 to LVL60.

Yes, but that's only due to the nature of the mechanics. One quest/dungeon/etc that takes 30 minutes to complete in NW would be the equivalent of a couple days of PnP. There's a huge difference between turn based mechanics where it takes a few minutes just to listen to the DM's narration, choose which action you're going to take, roll the dice and resolve the action, etc... vs a video game where what normally takes several minutes is now done in seconds.
    edited May 2013
    etherealj wrote: »
    Then they might be the first company ever that doesn't have management obsessed with pointless meetings. It's ludicrous to assume they don't have goals and projects to work on at all times. Any half competent group of people can sit down, write 5 ideas down on the board and work out the logistics required to decide on a course of action. We don't know if they're designing new content, fixing old content, or having office wide NERF reenactments of the Battle of the Bulge. The only thing we can be absolutely sure of, is that the NW developers don't bother to communicate with the playerbase.
    Do they have to tell you what they are working on? Seriously do they have to answer the pleas of "Are we there yet?" I can play the game perfectly well not knowing what the next patch will consist of. Now if I sent them a Ticket, that I feel I should have a response to. Even if it is a canned "We'll look into it." And then, "We have deemed the problem solved."

I mean I get a twice a year, "this is what we have done, an where we plan to go." Video.
    edited May 2013
    Do they have to tell you what they are working on? Seriously do they have to answer the pleas of "Are we there yet?" I can play the game perfectly well not knowing what the next patch will consist of. Now if I sent them a Ticket, that I feel I should have a response to. Even if it is a canned "We'll look into it." And then, "We have deemed the problem solved."

I mean I get a twice a year, "this is what we have done, an where we plan to go." Video.

I'm not going to send tickets for "is this working right" sort of questions when apparently people who get hacked waited days for responses. If this really is a beta, then where is the developer and player exchange of information. If this is beta, where is the testing? It's an open beta but it doesn't have any open communication. Is there even a projected "release" date? Why not tell people how things like AFK pvp fest is going to be fixed?

If good things are going on, what do they have to lose by sharing? I imagine happy and excited players...spend more money.

I never said they HAVE to do anything, quit being so dramatic.
    edited May 2013
    Yes, but that's only due to the nature of the mechanics. One quest/dungeon/etc that takes 30 minutes to complete in NW would be the equivalent of a couple days of PnP. There's a huge difference between turn based mechanics where it takes a few minutes just to listen to the DM's narration, choose which action you're going to take, roll the dice and resolve the action, etc... vs a video game where what normally takes several minutes is now done in seconds.
    Yeah and only the first 2-5 levels are quick to gain.

And I have played hundreds of Video Game RPGs in the last 30ish years. Both turn bases and real time style gaming. Never maxed my game out in one week. I may have beaten it, but never maxed it out. I'm 12th level right now, and that is to fast. Consiering I have maybe player 20 hours!
    edited May 2013
    I'm not going to send tickets for "is this working right" sort of questions when apparently people who get hacked waited days for responses. If this really is a beta, then where is the developer and player exchange of information. If this is beta, where is the testing? It's an open beta but it doesn't have any open communication. Is there even a projected "release" date? Why not tell people how things like AFK pvp fest is going to be fixed?

If good things are going on, what do they have to lose by sharing? I imagine happy and excited players...spend more money.

I never said they HAVE to do anything, quit being so dramatic.
    I will if you will?!
    edited May 2013
    I will if you will?!

Am I really being so dramatic? It's the internet and I haven't even claimed I'm about to quit. This is a tame conversation.
    edited May 2013
    I know, so apply the same logic for telling me to quit being dramatic. ;)

After all it is a forum for a RPG.
    edited May 2013
    I know, so apply the same logic for telling me to quit being dramatic. ;)

After all it is a forum for a RPG.

Then stop insinuating that I'm demanding anything when I'm just questioning the wisdom in silence :D
    edited May 2013
    Then stop insinuating that I'm demanding anything when I'm just questioning the wisdom in silence :D
    For this to be true... you wouldn't be posting. LOL:cool:
    edited May 2013
    For this to be true... you wouldn't be posting. LOL:cool:

See, there you go back to antagonism. I said I'm questioning the wisdom in Cryptic's silence and not being silent while I question their wisdom.

You either have poor reading comprehension or are desperate to be even a little combative. Do carry on.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,440 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    And I have played hundreds of Video Game RPGs in the last 30ish years. Both turn bases and real time style gaming. Never maxed my game out in one week. I may have beaten it, but never maxed it out. I'm 12th level right now, and that is to fast. Consiering I have maybe player 20 hours!

Yeah, I've played games like that in the past, too. (been playing CRPGs since Ultima & Wizardry 1)

Here's the thing - that's not the industry anymore. Even in the time-sink world of MMOs, most people don't have that kind of time to sink into things. And if you want to get that mass audience you need to make your dev money back? You can't make a game that'll appeal to a small audience. (Depends on your target audience, of course. Given that they're still making "Korean" uber-grinders across the sea, their audience must be willing to put up with it. Of course, those games have little content. "Go kill those mobs 18000 times to get your next level at 0.01% xp per kill" doesn't take much budget. And lets you sell XP Booster items in your cash shop.)
  • jnc87jnc87 Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    The level thing is worthless imo, yeah it gives you an advantage of a few days because reaching level 60 honestly doesn't take that long anyway...HOWEVER, I do believe so many exploits have been used and are still being used which do indeed break the whole game, mess with the economy and what else.

Like some classes oneshotting bosses in dungeons, people sharing a quest endless times to gain millions of AD everyday and so on. The leveling exploit is nothing in comparison with everything that still is working and imo, it's sort of lame to have released the game in such state.

For example, this is still working and some people made easily 50m+ AD this way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sh_Y4jZqaD4
  • cronis10000cronis10000 Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    stadulator wrote: »
    Welcome to the beta that's not a beta! OPEN BETA! no wipes for joo.

And honestly, this game is RIDICULOUSLY easy to level. In less than two weeks of casual play I'm lvl 43. Over halfway done with the "progression" I can't imagine why people would "cheat" to level faster than that.. seeing as how there's zero end game content.

Another SWtOR for the record books folks. Move along, nothing to see.

I have not abused this game and I have 3 level 60's going to wait to see what classes they have at launch and build either both or one, especially a ranger.

All you people crying about how fast it is to level in this game have obviously never played a cryptic game before. Go try STO and if you want to rapid level to 50, No problem its totally doable. Probably 1 day if you really want to get to 50.
  • charononuscharononus Member Posts: 5,715 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Meanwhile I've yet to play an mmo that i couldn't cap a toon within 2 weeks to 1 month, wow,rift,lotro,ddo,nwo may not be your since the 80's comment but it's several mmo's.
  • biovitalbiovital Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It took me a week to get to max level, and 5 epic items...so I should have my character wiped cause some ******* decided to cheat?

No thank you.
    edited May 2013
    charononus wrote: »
    Meanwhile I've yet to play an mmo that i couldn't cap a toon within 2 weeks to 1 month, wow,rift,lotro,ddo,nwo may not be your since the 80's comment but it's several mmo's.
    That is definitely a shame! You should not be able to max out a game that fast Char!
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    jnc87 wrote: »
    The level thing is worthless imo, yeah it gives you an advantage of a few days because reaching level 60 honestly doesn't take that long anyway...HOWEVER, I do believe so many exploits have been used and are still being used which do indeed break the whole game, mess with the economy and what else.

Like some classes oneshotting bosses in dungeons, people sharing a quest endless times to gain millions of AD everyday and so on. The leveling exploit is nothing in comparison with everything that still is working and imo, it's sort of lame to have released the game in such state.

For example, this is still working and some people made easily 50m+ AD this way:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Sh_Y4jZqaD4

Amazes me how many people just turn a blind eye to proof when it is rubbed in thier faces.
  • orangerascalorangerascal Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    They should rename this thread to: "How to become very unpopular in 7 seconds"

Just no to character wipes. If PW wants to alienate 80% of their member base and assure them no to return, then thats the way to go.

I have feeling the OP has alterior motives: "Like paying $200 for 5 day pass and not taking advantage of it"
  • taemekegtaemekeg Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 298 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    They should rename this thread to: "How to become very unpopular in 7 seconds"

Just no to character wipes. If PW wants to alienate 80% of their member base and assure them no to return, then thats the way to go.

I have feeling the OP has alterior motives: "Like paying $200 for 5 day pass and not taking advantage of it"

Now do everyone a favour and read the entire 18 pages, otherwise, don't post.

Pay special attention to the link in this page. Then you might vaguely grasp what the real issue is, power leveling from exploits was only a fraction of the reasoning behind the request for wiping characters.
  • jacktantojacktanto Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    This isn't a contest. This isn't a race.

Why do you even care? You can't even inspect people in this game and even see what kind of gear they have.

Man gotta love the warcraft generation.

your a hero of the north and probably played alot in the beta and still havent found out how to inspect people?
    Target press F select Inspect. Voila you can see gear background history and stuff ^^.
This discussion has been closed.