test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Paying cash To Respec - Everyone post your thoughts.

Comments

• valvexenvalvexen Member Posts: 58
    edited May 2013
    And why do other people care so much if i respec? Or think that it devalues the game if i do? I currently play gw2 and rift, i am always respecing and trying different builds, thats part of the fun. I dont care one monkey bang about pen and paper bs, its time to put your big boy pants on, its a mmo, not a 1973 pnp game, with geeks rolling dice in there moms basement drinking tab.

As it stands now when 1/2 the threads are about cash shop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, there just might be a problem.
  • anashimanashim Member Posts: 259 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Ack - I edited the sizable post, but the forum bug erased most of it.
  • lordbane40lordbane40 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 32
    edited May 2013
    A game still in beta shouldn't be charging real money for respecs. Some feats and abilities are bugged and they are still working on balance. Make it cost a token amount of Astral Diamonds or gold. When everything is ready to go live, then change it to cost a small amount of Zen or a large amount of gold or Astral Diamonds.

My 2 cents
  • terradraconisterradraconis Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    valvexen wrote: »
    And why do other people care so much if i respec? Or think that it devalues the game if i do? I currently play gw2 and rift, i am always respecing and trying different builds, thats part of the fun. I dont care one monkey bang about pen and paper bs, its time to put your big boy pants on, its a mmo, not a 1973 pnp game, with geeks rolling dice in there moms basement drinking tab.

As it stands now when 1/2 the threads are about cash shop <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>, there just might be a problem.

I don't. I just agree that respec's should cost $6 each.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • robertthebardrobertthebard Member Posts: 543 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    valvexen wrote: »

You are absolutely correct, it is time to put your big boy pants on and either pay for it with cash, or save up the AD you need to get it. I find it hilarious that you would come here crying about having to spend 6 whole dollars on something, and then tell everyone else to grow up.
    Reading comprehension is essential in a medium that requires reading for communication.
    edited May 2013
    It is possible to remain in character in story, even while altering the fundamental characteristics of the hero. Simply use Shapechange magic to alter oneself, even permanently. Change the memories, the muscle-training, the knowhow, anything. Just visit a Wizard, like the one in the Tower of Alterations.

Respecifications of the hero are a necessity. Not a luxury. I am new to the game and unfamiliar with what the options are - and certainly unfamiliar with the
  • wartimeraiderwartimeraider Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Meh if you dont want to pay 6 dollars, youre not welcome in any game.
    The fact that you can just gather astral diamonds to buy zen with them and get tokens that way is quite nice. The zenprice is alreayd lowering so you wont even need to spend some weeks of diamonds on it once its even lower then it already is.
    timeraiderlogo2smaller.gif

Elf Control Wizard - Dragon
  • backwoods660backwoods660 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The price of a re-spec is extremely irritating. In past mmos I would constantly respec sometimes you had to because of patches and skill changes and most people have specs for pve and pvp yah the two specs one for pvp and one for pve is not required but..

When I started the game I didn't know exactly how I want my build to be at level 60 people make mistakes building there characters while leveling.

And for a cleric you pretty much HAVE to respec at 60.. I tried to avoid this but just leveling with a heal spec but its painfully slow and its making me not even want to play at this point.. I would like to be able to spec for dps while leveling and heals when I get 60. Or if I make a mistake in a build or to try different builds.

Re-specs are a very important part of any mmo.
  • eve4evereve4ever Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    at least give us an option to buy with gold or earn with quest to get bloody 1 free respec.
  • infi321infi321 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yasha00 wrote: »
    Like I've said before, i think having to pay $6 for a respec is outrageous and detrimental to building the game's meta.

Several people countered that you do not need to respec often in this game or that you should plan ahead, or that respeccing kills the spirit of D&D; but the more I play the more I see the need to respec, or wish I could experiment since you can build classes in various ways, and I still don't see how it would kill the spirit of D&D.

Couldnt have said it better. Same goes for bags. MAKE THEM OBTAINABLE THROUGH THE GAME NOT THE BLOODY SHOP!
    "Your story may not last forever; but it will exist forever"
  • besharpebesharpe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I will never pay for respecing. I see it as an integral part of any game that has specs. Hence, part of play, hence, part of FTP and not gonna happen. Alot of people say its not needed, however, for them that might be true, for me it's the exact opposite and how I enjoy the game.

It is a good game and I am having fun and will end up spending lots of money if its changed. I will not spend a dime until it has been changed because I will not be playing if they do not. So I am hanging around to give them enough time to come to their sense and make the change for their player base.
  • s1th1s1th1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I've paid to respect a couple times now. Doesn't bother me at all. I even paid to change the way my character looked. Its not expensive and adds to my level of enjoyment. Also gives the devs money, win win.
  • valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    already used more than 5k zen on respecs and am not happy about it.
  • mofugli1mofugli1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    Not that difficult to make couple hundred K AD farming stuff to sell on AH, especially at level cap... 1 good rank 7 enchant sells for that so I tend to disagree with respec should be free. I don't see anything wrong with either earning what you need to buy a token or starting a new toon, God forbid forking over a whopping 6 bucks or whatever it is to make your toon the way you want it, seriously...
  • pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    It's in game mechanics, it should be payed with in game currency not ZEN.
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • valtrayvaltray Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    fail aaagh
  • xristanaxxristanax Member Posts: 37 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Want to repaint my house for free? You can wash my car afterwards and mow my lawn every week too while you're at it. Why don't you buy me a cup of coffee on the way over from Starbucks too and as a tip, i'll give you a bit of advice: F2P is F2P. You want cash shop items, but can't afford zen OK, here's a little secret:

Dont buy what you can't afford

Have fun with that while you're painting my house
    edited May 2013
    Meh if you dont want to pay 6 dollars, youre not welcome in any game.
    The fact that you can just gather astral diamonds to buy zen with them and get tokens that way is quite nice. The zenprice is alreayd lowering so you wont even need to spend some weeks of diamonds on it once its even lower then it already is.
    You cant respec at low levels. (I have what, 1500 Astral Diamond, and I need 100s of 1000s!) And low-level is when players - especially newbies like me - NEED to respec.

Even at higher levels, respecification is necessary when trying to guess what the Paragon features mean.

It is especially unclear how the many options work together. Even now, there are options that my Wizard never uses, like Ray of Ice, preferring Magic Missile instead. I regret any investments wasted to advance Ray of Ice. I dont have the Chilling Cloud atwill now, but looks appealing. But who knows. After I take it, it might prove unhelpful. And even if helpful, I might neglect it anyway, because of the habit of using Magic Missile as my go-to atwill. Also, earlier I invested in the daily power, Ice Storm, but then the lack of slots forced me to abandon it for the more advanced daily, Oppressive Force, which I then invested in too. But as it turns out, I like the lower-level Ice Storm better - daily Ice Storm and encounter Entanglement Force seem to be the only effective “control” powers - albeit the encounter Repel is worthy of a fun mention and handy as a backup. Now I have two daily slots, but I wish I invested in Ice Storm more, even if it was my only daily, after seeing what Oppressive Force does.
    edited May 2013
    (forum not working properly)
  • mofugli1mofugli1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 40
    edited May 2013
    pednick wrote: »
    It's in game mechanics, it should be payed with in game currency not ZEN.

ZEN is in game currency which can be bought and sold with Astral Diamonds (another in game currency) which is easily earnable (in game) by playing (the game)
  • pednickpednick Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    xristanax wrote: »
    Want to repaint my house for free? You can wash my car afterwards and mow my lawn every week too while you're at it.

Is your house or car an in game mechanic? IDIOT!
    Be a Leet D00D, can't think of something smart? Always blame the economy.
  • stratxzzstratxzz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 56
    edited May 2013
    xristanax wrote: »
    Want to repaint my house for free? You can wash my car afterwards and mow my lawn every week too while you're at it. Why don't you buy me a cup of coffee on the way over from Starbucks too and as a tip, i'll give you a bit of advice: F2P is F2P. You want cash shop items, but can't afford zen OK, here's a little secret:

Dont buy what you can't afford

Have fun with that while you're painting my house

So I will paint your house bright green, then when you decide you don't like it you can pay me or buy a new house......

That is what I think you said.
    Strat@stratxzz on the Dragon Shard

Strat - Great Weapon Fighter - Level 60 ( Retired for now )
    Strattwo - Control Wizard - Level 60
    Stratx - Devoted Cleric - Level 60
    Stratt - Trickster Rogue - Level 18

http://theeoi.com - Visit for more information on our gaming community.
    edited May 2013
    Astral Diamonds are an impossible option at lower levels.

I have now what, 1500 Astral Diamonds, and I need 100s of 1000s!

Low level is when it is necessary to respec, while getting a feel for the game and the options. It is especially important for new players who only slowly become aware of what the consequences of choices are.
  • picklesandbeerpicklesandbeer Member Posts: 22 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Wait, what?? You have to pay to respec??? Well that's some ****!
  • s1th1s1th1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    yeah I wish you could see all the powers, and feats before you put a point in them… oh well one day you'll ha.. whats that you can see them?

oh it sounds like most of you just can read/plan ignore it till you're 50-60 if you really messed up that bad you should have enough AD to buy a respec token.
  • okitsunegaokitsunega Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I think this is kind of pointless discussion. It makes money for PWE, and that means it's not going to be changed. I believe PWE has understood one fact quite well, and capitalized on it effectively: the only thing that has a significant impact are the people who don't particularily care how much money they throw into the game - as long as it gives them more power compared to others. The vocal majority may complain, but it's one business in which majority isn't important. Personally I'm not going to spend a dime to respeccing character. I don't feel it's a feature that should be put into cash shop. It should either be available with in-game currency, at reasonable price (and I mean gold, not the AD <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that really is just another name for zen) if it's deemed appropriate for the game, or not possible at all if it's really meant to not be part of Neverwinter's theme.
  • lhyeuzelhyeuze Member Posts: 71
    edited May 2013
    mofugli1 wrote: »
    ZEN is in game currency which can be bought and sold with Astral Diamonds (another in game currency) which is easily earnable (in game) by playing (the game)

At max lvl, not when you are leveling. I am lvl 40 and it costs me around 50k AD to respec. I have only 24k Ad and I did the daily quest everyday.

Then you will say, why do you need to respec when leveling? Because I want to, maybe I made mistake when leveling feats, or I want to try another path.
    edited May 2013
    Players who care about their characters care about the Neverwinter online game. Players who care about their characters, care about respec.

Getting the balance right - between story continuity and ease of respec of options - is important for the wellbeing of the Neverwinter game overall.
  • mal3fact0rmal3fact0r Member Posts: 83
    edited May 2013
    It's not the price that's an issue for me, $6 is peanuts, it's the principle of it being a cash grab tactic plain and simple. It's got absolutely nothing to do with "staying true to D&D" otherwise re-specs would not exist, cash shop or otherwise. What's next? Charging $5 per emote per character? If we as gamers don't draw the line somewhere these publishers will just keep monetizing more and more.

I don't have a problem with paying for things, before someone brings up that straw man, but at a reasonable price and most definitely not for staples of the genre such as re-specs.
    edited May 2013
    okitsunega wrote: »
    I think this is kind of pointless discussion. It makes money for PWE, and that means it's not going to be changed. I believe PWE has understood one fact quite well, and capitalized on it effectively: the only thing that has a significant impact are the people who don't particularily care how much money they throw into the game - as long as it gives them more power compared to others. The vocal majority may complain, but it's one business in which majority isn't important. Personally I'm not going to spend a dime to respeccing character. I don't feel it's a feature that should be put into cash shop. It should either be available with in-game currency, at reasonable price (and I mean gold, not the AD <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that really is just another name for zen) if it's deemed appropriate for the game, or not possible at all if it's really meant to not be part of Neverwinter's theme.

I don't think it's pointless at all - as a matter of fact it may serve a great purpose in enlightening a few people to the fact that anyone playing the game can <earn> ZEN just by playing the game. No one has to spend a dime on this game if they choose not to, just devote some play time to earning AD, sell the AD for ZEN on the exchange and *shazam*, like magic, FREE ZEN!!! If just a few whiners grasp this simple concept then this post will have been worth the minute it took me to type it because it will be that many fewer posts about 'oh why can't we have more sh*t for free'...
This discussion has been closed.