test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Will You Buy a Founder's Pack?

Comments

• castagyrecastagyre Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The worth of game specific digital items is a tricky thing to calculate I'd imagine. The biggest factor being what the bean counters think people would be willing to pay for them. I can't imagine paying $549 for that bundle, but maybe PW can. /shrug.
    Remembering Hanlon's Razor can save one a lot on aspirines.
  • bejita231bejita231 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Yes i will buy beta access
  • silestesileste Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Just made me think...

If most of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is suppose to add up to $549... How will the cash shop look? There might be a chance these items will be in game with the total coming up to around $550? :P Whatever depending on how first beta weekend goes an I see some decent videos I'll maybe/maybe not put my money down. I simply don't trust PWE.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    sileste wrote: »
    Hell no. I'm a bit sad because I can already see the downfall of this game (Praying that I'm wrong). PWE already showing it's colors and digging it's claws into people wallets in exchange for <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Ridiculous that you can only get a race, that should be for everyone, in the Hero's Pack. There is no way that pixels should come up to the price of $549, yet alone $200. At least Wuilds Gar duex CE, at the price of $149, came with some great items you can keep in your house. If it came with something like that then Hell yea, I'd spend the $200 on it! 60 bucks is all you'll get from me only because I want in on beta.

You do understand everybody can play a drow, and the only change is the people who pay for the renegade variant get ADDITIONAL features?

gillrmn wrote: »
    I am not sure, but I think overflow bag was confirmed after someone suggested LoTRO as an example.

It was. See my FAQ.

catica wrote: »
    I wont be buying any. I have been waiting on this game since early 2011, before PWE even bought Cryptic. I think its a horrible to charge for beta access. I understand why they do it from a business point of view, but as a gamer it disgusts me.

Well good, you can get beta access for free. Cryptic isn't charging for beta access, they are offering PRIORITY GUARANTEED access for those who support the game financially. Basing the response under the concept you understand the difference between priority and phased access. If not, let us know and we'll explain it. Or just read my FAQ. Thank you.

Well Statistically it looks as if the Sane and the Insane stand toe to toe number wise.

The voices in my head agree with you....now they disagree now they are arguing with each other and are split...

*holds head in agony and runs out of the thread screaming*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2013
    You do understand everybody can play a drow, and the only change is the people who pay for the renegade variant get ADDITIONAL features?

I somewhat did not know that. Figured they might do what DDO did and making people pay for races. But now I'm even more confused on why Hero's pack is suppose to be worth $200? Guess the company is smart on one part where the hardcore D&D fans are blindly throwing their money at them. Would have gotten more if it was a bit cheaper. Some would have bought two or three packs just for the hell of it. Could have used for nice contest giveaways or something.

Believe me I really do wish I could happily buy the $200 pack but just feels like a huge ripoff.
    -waits for the "Then don't buy it blah blah" <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>-
    I'm just saying PWE just never ever think about their customers and it's just so sad. Maybe this is just my bad experience with this company taking over. I'm supposed I'm scarred. xD
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited February 2013
    I somewhat did not know that. Figured they might do what DDO did and making people pay for races.
    Because of the initial wording in the press release, I've had to explain it many times before, so I'm a bit proficient in this particular clarification, so let me explain:

When you create your characters, you will be able to choose a Background Heritage for your character during creation. For Heroes of the North Founders, they get a unique drow "Menzoberranzan Renegade" racial background heritage that they can choose when making their drow character(s). Choosing this on a drow will unlock the bonues noted on the Foundry Pack for your drow.

When the Foundry Packs when live, this was clarified in the Fouder's Pack details. Unfortunately, many of the MMO News media sites are failing to ammend their news with clarifications. Many have been informed however.

Hope that helps! :)

As for the actual value of everything, I am unable to comment on that as I do not know the pricing details of the finalized Zen Store as my poor Lady lingers in an inanimate state and therefore my powers of foresight are not as they should be. :(

I have been able to foresee her in a new incarnation however and...

*the mage abruptly disappears in a puff of silvery smoke that settles to the ground as dust*
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    <--- blindly threw money at dungeons and dragons since 1977.. why stop now. lol.. take my money. here take some more... i want three hero packages, thanx.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
  • madsamuraimadsamurai Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I'm definitely picking up the Guardian pack. I like the idea of getting a few days head start plus the beta entry. Plus who knows what they'll grant founders later down the line? Also I figure the money will go towards bettering the game.
  • zacke760zacke760 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Bought It, and I don't regret it one bit! Hopefully I can get my friend interested with the buddy key as well.
  • warriorbatwarriorbat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 4
    edited February 2013
    No.
    I hate Founder's Pack and any form of publishers trying to offer players to pay access to Beta. It's stupid, ugly and it smells bad.
  • visionstorm01visionstorm01 Member Posts: 561 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Just made me think...

If most of that <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> is suppose to add up to $549... How will the cash shop look? There might be a chance these items will be in game with the total coming up to around $550? :P Whatever depending on how first beta weekend goes an I see some decent videos I'll maybe/maybe not put my money down. I simply don't trust PWE.
    This was pretty much my first concern the moment I read the news about this pack. Coming from another Cryptic game and seeing how their once reasonable (maybe even "cheap") cash shop slowly turned into an overpriced* gambling mess after PWE took over I could already see the massive cash shop prices bordering on the cost for an entire game just for a race and few cosmetic elements.

*featuring gear upgrades ("Catalysts") that could go on the hundreds of dollars for a single character, assuming you'd build them entirely from the ground up from the cash shop alone, and even a few upgrades could go for more than some games cost (for the ENTIRE game) for the higher level ones. And these upgrades remain that expensive to this day. I don't remember any price for anything ever going down or quantity offered for their price go up in the entire time PWE has been around.
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    Let me just throw this into the mix:

Dungeon Master's Guide
    Monster Manual
    Player's Handbook 1, 2, and 3.

Combined total, with tax: about $200. More with shipping.
    edited February 2013
    syberghost wrote: »

Dungeon Master's Guide
    Monster Manual

Printed materials have a production, shipment and packaging cost which the company needs to recoup per each item produced and sold, in addition to their initial development cost (and I'm also pretty certain that each of those books takes longer to develop than a single racial background, mount or companion). And you get to keep them if the game goes out of production or the company shuts down. Digital items have none and are 100% profits once they make back the development costs of those items. And when the game shuts down, you don't get to keep them.

Or in other words: Context (Its completely different)
    Printed materials have a production, shipment and packaging cost which the company needs to recoup per each item produced and sold, in addition to their initial development cost (and I'm also pretty certain that each of those books takes longer to develop than a single racial background, mount or companion). And you get to keep them if the game goes out of production or the company shuts down. Digital items have none and are 100% profits once they make back the development costs of those items. And when the game shuts down, you don't get to keep them.

Or in other words: Context (Its completely different)

Yes, but game programmers get paid a lot more than RPG developers, and it takes many more of them to produce a game. WotC's entire yearly revenues, including licensing and everything else, are comparable to what it costs to produce two triple-A MMORPGs, and that's with dozens of currently-in-print products selling in every book store in the country. And that's revenues; their overhead is huge. The money they have for product development is a drop in the bucket compared to what it costs to make an MMO.

And the kinds of folks who are willing to pay $200 for this pack are the kinds of folks who gladly drop another $200 on rulebooks periodically so we can DM this hobby for a room full of people who mostly just bought $70 worth of books. (Although personally I'm more of a True20/Mutants and Masterminds man, I buy D&D books to collect.)
  • fishgodfishgod Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    And I think that your attempted comeback is utterly <removed>.

And really they make perfect sense and make a good analogy. Cryptic need to put something out to entice the crowd to spend money for their product. If you just want to give money away then by all means go ahead, don't berate people who want to be convinced that the product is worth the money. Which they have done nothing of the sort since hardly anything is shown or revealed. Serious PR work should have been made before this announcement.

If Cryptic think the founders packs are so good and the game worth the cost of these so called packs. Then they should let everyone who wants in on the upcoming beta weekends have access so they can make a informed choice themselves. The fact they want people to buy the founders packs to gurantee access to these weekends has me a little concerned for the game.
    edited February 2013

Dungeon Master's Guide
    Monster Manual

Are those included in the Hero's Pack? Nope don't see it. Anyway, there is a big difference between pixels and physical items...

I'd gladly pay for what you listed. Collector's items.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • xaxiusshadowxaxiusshadow Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    Anyway, there is a big difference between pixels and physical items...

I know... physical items wear out over time, digital items can last forever! :o
    edited February 2013
    LOL you think so huh? You know... you don't really own any of the items you bought. The company has the right to take away all your digital items. If the game were to die, just pray the servers stay up. <3

You must not be very good at taking care of things either. D:
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
    edited February 2013

Only if you get to DL and keep them, which you dont...
    LOL you think so huh? You know... you don't really own any of the items you bought. The company has the right to take away all your digital items. If the game were to die, just pray the servers stay up. <3

You must not be very good at taking care of things either. D:

With the exception of one publisher, who's not involved in this game, MMORPGs almost never shut down. I wouldn't expect this game to go anywhere for many years, and let's face it, D&D rulebooks don't retain much relevance beyond 10 years themselves. There are people playing "classic" versions, yes, but for the most part active players have switched to at least 3e.

Ultima Online still hangs on. AD&D 2e was the current WotC product the year it came out. (It was the year WotC took over the franchise). In five years, most of the people buying the $200 pack are probably going to be shelling out $200 for 5e, and Ultima Online will still be here. And so will D&D Neverwinter.
    edited February 2013
    With the exception of one publisher, who's not involved in this game, MMORPGs almost never shut down. I wouldn't expect this game to go anywhere for many years, and let's face it, D&D rulebooks don't retain much relevance beyond 10 years themselves. There are people playing "classic" versions, yes, but for the most part active players have switched to at least 3e.

Ultima Online still hangs on. AD&D 2e was the current WotC product the year it came out. (It was the year WotC took over the franchise). In five years, most of the people buying the $200 pack are probably going to be shelling out $200 for 5e, and Ultima Online will still be here. And so will D&D Neverwinter.

Really? That doesn't stop the fact that you don't really own it and it still can be deleted. And I agree with you, five years from now people will forget about the $200 they paid for the next new thing. Probably won't even bother to come back to play with items. It was like they never existed, oh wait...

I've got books and magazines from the 70s still in good condition (well they weren't mine, belonged to my mother). I still open most of them up to scan through. Being currently relevant or not has nothing to do with collecting. There is absolutely no way you can compare something real and physical to something fake.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • syberghostsyberghost Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 2,474
    edited February 2013
    There is absolutely no way you can compare something real and physical to something fake.

Which has more value, a DVD of Royal Shakespeare Company performance of Hamlet, or going to see that performance live and in person?

I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of my Founder's Pack. I consider it money well spent.
  • mosnacky01mosnacky01 Banned Users, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I will later; not at first Ill start with the sixty dollar pack, then add the 200 dollar pack when the taxes return.

Also I can understand someone making a personal decision not to drop $200.00, but what boggles my mind are those who not only don't want to purchase it, they get pissy about anyone else purchasing it. :rolleyes:
    No woman should marry before she has slain her tenth man.-:Vartha Do'Urden
    edited February 2013
    Which has more value, a DVD of Royal Shakespeare Company performance of Hamlet, or going to see that performance live and in person?

I'm going to get a lot of enjoyment out of my Founder's Pack. I consider it money well spent.

Both because I'd have the DVD and the ticket to prove I went. I'll probably buy something while I'm there. A shirt maybe.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
    edited February 2013
    Both because I'd have the DVD and the ticket to prove I went. I'll probably buy something while I'm there. A shirt maybe.

Oh man, I hope they offer NW shirts. One of my biggest regrets about Cryptic leaving their association with The Company That Shall Not be Named was, I love my CoH and CoV shirts, and never could get an official CO or STO shirt.

Take my money, PWE; give me Neverwinter shirts!

Class shirts would be awesome. I'm going to start a thread...
    edited February 2013
    Oh man, I hope they offer NW shirts. One of my biggest regrets about Cryptic leaving their association with The Company That Shall Not be Named was, I love my CoH and CoV shirts, and never could get an official CO or STO shirt.

Take my money, PWE; give me Neverwinter shirts!

Class shirts would be awesome. I'm going to start a thread...

Something we can agree on. I am so for this 100%.
    NWDC-2_zps52f863ab.png
  • purpleorbespurpleorbes Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 186 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    Just a quick question, The people who buy the heroes of the north pack - Do they get all future add ons for free? They should but does anyone know?

Ps: Someone PLEASE buy me the Heroes Of The North pack. I love forgotten realms but am poor.
  • iamtruthseekeriamtruthseeker Member, Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The game IS FREE TO PLAY! That means there are NO GAME COSTS. This means you don't EVER pay for content. Cryptic has been saying his since 2010 even when this was co-op. Add on IS content. Nuff said.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • keirkinkeirkin Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013

Why would you need proof you went? Shouldn't the experience and memory of the experience be the most important part of going to see a live performance?

As far as the compare something real and physical to something fake comment, items in a game are not fake they are just not physical there is a difference. A fake item is something different than it is presented as or appears to be. I can certainly compare something that is not physical to something that is physical in terms of value to me.