Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Random Queues

Comments

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    asterdahl said:

Additionally, if you have yet to clear that dungeon, everyone who has will be notified that they will receive a new player bonus if the dungeon is completed successfully on the order of thousands of AD, which will be a motivation to make sure the dungeon is cleared even with a new player.

One point I'd like clarified is whether this is in effect with a private queue as well. As in, would players intentionally carrying* a friend through their first [whatever] qualify for the bonus? (Even though they're forfeiting random rewards on that particular run.)

*This is the wrong word. The friend may not require a carry and be capable of contributing, but hasn't done [whatever] before and has a specific goal in mind with not using the random queue system.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    safespacecadet#3341 safespacecadet Member Posts: 374 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    This plan is actually okay with me for the most part. Random Queues could be a good, even a great thing.

However, it might be better if we had tier categories for random queues based on IL. As someone in the thread mentioned previously, perhaps it would be better if we had separate random queues for Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3, Tier 4 (and whatever we have in the future).

Also, PVP would be so much better if we queued by approx. IL, a range of 500 might be too small at first, but 1k-range brackets would be okay to start. I believe a lot more people would start queuing for pvp more frequently. Some people who enjoy pvp might return to the game, and we might even attract new players who enjoy pvp. Imho, most people don't like getting smashed by people against whom they stand no chance or smashing people who stand no chance against them. Fair fights are rare with the current system.

Nevertheless, I could live with the system the way it has been presented. I've been playing on and off for three years. When I first started playing seriously after level cap, level 60s (max at the time) could only get the daily AD bonus from running VT or MC. And people wouldn't take you unless you had tier 2 epic gear, decent enchantments, and most of the available boons. Campaigns we had at the time were Dread Ring, Sharandar, Icewind Dale, and Tyranny of Dragons. You got tier 2 epic gear from Icewind Dale with black ice, and/or from harder dungeons. 15k was the requisite gear score for VT. Not sure about MC. I don't know what 15k gear score would translate into today's IL. We were fine with running less difficult dungeons for salvage if we couldn't join a group for MC or VT at the time.

Anyway, the thing is, if someone is paying $10-15 a month, as is reasonable, he or she can buy 99 preservation wards a month. Grinding for pwards is the main bottleneck, so, if you're a paying customer, you can skip that. Sure, there are plenty of people that want to grind their lives away in order to play this game totally free of charge. I've done it before, and you know what? It's not fun. It's really, really not fun to run the same dungeons and skirmishes over and over and over. I've quit several times because I got burned out. I can't handle doing the same things for more than a week now. Actually, I prefer not to do the same thing exact thing today as I did yesterday. I can do that in a thing called a job.

I do agree thought that it would be great to have the rest of the old dungeons (and epic versions of them) returned.

However, I think the best possibility for random queues would be to create dungeons, skirmishes, and trials that had class specific activities/duties/interactions. Something that only a certain class at a certain point that would make it easier to complete. Doesn't mean the class needs to have a 100% chance of being able to do it though. I really don't even think rogues should have a 100% chance to find/remove traps. There are so many possibilities, and it would begin to make Neverwinter more like actual Dungeons & Dragons. Where classes had non-combat and utility skills which are actually needed and useful. Not every encounter in an mmorpg needs to center around combat and killing things.

Lastly, having tried every popular mmorpg except for ESO (which I won't pay just to try when I don't think I'll like it), and not one of them is more fun than Neverwinter. For all people's complaining, they really can't find a better mmorpg at the moment. Maybe some of that depends on personal taste, but I think I'm a fair judge of what makes a decent and entertaining game. Grew up with the original Super Mario Bros., Legend of Zelda, and Final Fantasy, so I've been playing video games for a long time. Neverwinter has the best action combat. Neverwinter is free-to-play. Neverwinter is set in Forgotten Realms. If only we had bard, druid, monk, barbarian, sorcerer, I would say that Neverwinter has the best overall selection of races and classes. Of course the game could be better, but I think it's the best we have right now if we want to play a themepark grinder.

Well, I hope someone important reads this. :)

P.S. I wouldn't mind if we just get rid of the ability for level 70s to queue for leveling dungeons. When I first started (very end of mod 3 or beginning of mod 4), I had to gather a group of four other people or join one to play those dungeons. It didn't really take that long. Depends on the time of day or night, of course. Though I would appreciate an Elemental Evil dungeon for the 60s and an entry level dungeon for new level 70s.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

asterdahl said:

(A jadeite is worth 2,500 refinement points (25,000 by current live standards.)
    (A black pearl is worth 100 refinement points (1,000 by current live standards.)
    These refinement stones replace a rough AD reward of 5000 and 800 respectively.

A little off topic, but are we really introducing MORE refinement items at the same time we are streamlining refinement?
    They are adding 7 new RP stones (some of which I expect to be extremely rare) and 5 new reagent items but eliminating any new drops of ~20 RP stones entirely, eliminating 9 reagent items, and you won't pick up random enchants or runestones anymore (up to 18 slots for all rank 4s and 5s). It's a genuine streamline and most of the new stones are to fill in gaps in values so that various rewards will retain the same values as current stones.
    How about marks? Do they also stop dropping 3 green, 3 blue and 3 purple marks and replacing them which 3 enchantment stone (green, blue, purple)?
    This is what I'm referring to as reagent items. Though I'm definitely getting confused about ranks of those. Looks like there are only 4 new items (3 ranks of enchantment stone and the UMoPs). The old ones won't drop.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    mordekai#1901 mordekai Member Posts: 1,598 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

This is something we have absolutely considered. One reason we'd ideally like to avoid this is that hero's accord will provide a bonus cache of seals of the brave. We're not so much concerned that if you may end up in Fangbreaker and be rewarded with seals of the brave (because you needed to meet the requirements for the Tomb regardless) but we do think it will be seriously frustrating that if you want to earn the best daily seals of the brave reward to progress your character, you will queue for a random queue to get the 30 daily seals and may end up in a dungeon that naturally gives no seals of the brave.

I'm now at the point where it looks like the cart is so far before the horse... there is no longer a horse in sight.

Locking players from initial Level 70 attainment to 11k out of ALL epic dungeon random queues because of how many seals of the brave some top end players may feel frustration over not getting should they drop on ONE dungeon?

Has the frustration that entire sub 11k base will feel at not being able to queue for their level appropriate dungeons because you want an elite higher tier for people collecting seals of the brave not been made clear?

Bonkers. (There are better words for it than that, but none that won't get me a Mod Whacking...)
  • Options
    vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    asterdahl said:

This is something we have absolutely considered. One reason we'd ideally like to avoid this is that hero's accord will provide a bonus cache of seals of the brave. We're not so much concerned that if you may end up in Fangbreaker and be rewarded with seals of the brave (because you needed to meet the requirements for the Tomb regardless) but we do think it will be seriously frustrating that if you want to earn the best daily seals of the brave reward to progress your character, you will queue for a random queue to get the 30 daily seals and may end up in a dungeon that naturally gives no seals of the brave.

On the other hand, we have no plans to break out a third epic dungeon random queue as this complicates rewards even further, muddles up the queues, and makes the daily commitment for those looking to finish all of their random queues even larger.

One thing that's very difficult to keep in mind here is that meeting the 11k requirement is no longer as difficult as it was when many of you met it, and it will be even less so when 12B goes live with the refinement adjustments. When we look at the distribution of player's main characters by item level, the average item level is actually higher than we expected even before Module 12. This applies to future concerns about what happens when Tomb of the Nine Gods and Module 13's content move down to the epic dungeon queue, and something new is put into hero's accord. By that point, reaching 12k will have become significantly easier as well.

None of this is to say that we're not still considering making adjustments. All of your feedback is absolutely appreciated.

@asterdahl I ask you and the other devs that please reconsider this. 11k requirement is indeed relatively easy, but unlocking Fangbreaker Island through SKT campaign or Master Spellplague through Cloaked Ascendancy with each character is something undesirable.

There are people that doesn't even want to do these campaigns because they don't like them, and even those that are willing to do them will have a lot of time expenditure if they have alts. Just think of the need of unlocking campaign dungeons with each toon only to be able to get the daily random epic dungeon AD with each one of them?
  • Options
    Was my post deleted or it bugged because i tried to edit it too many times?
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Maybe they'll bring Dungeon Delves back and you get an hour where you can do dungeons without needing a key? Or, even better, rogues would get a chance to pick the lock on the chest and open it for their party.

EDIT: And maybe some, or even all of the epic dungeon chests are enchanted, so you need a wizard or a warlock to dispel the enchantment before the rogue can attempt to pick the lock?
  • Options
    kisakeekisakee Member Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    asterdahl said:

You get seals from bosses and the final chest (need a key) on any run at all. The seal cache automatically awarded on the first run is being rolled into the rewards for random queueing.

This is correct. There seems to be some misunderstanding about seals. You will still receive all the seals you would normally receive from a run, whether you random queue or not. Only the seal cache is being done away with, and seal bonuses are being added to all random queues (not just epic dungeons.)
    That's not rewarding people for running random queues but penalizing people doing private groups
    r9jtqurw.jpg

• Options
    Since my post is gone, i'm gonna post it again lol
    asterdahl said:

On the other hand, we have no plans to break out a third epic dungeon random queue as this complicates rewards even further, muddles up the queues, and makes the daily commitment for those looking to finish all of their random queues even larger.

One thing that's very difficult to keep in mind here is that meeting the 11k requirement is no longer as difficult as it was when many of you met it, and it will be even less so when 12B goes live with the refinement adjustments. When we look at the distribution of player's main characters by item level, the average item level is actually higher than we expected even before Module 12. This applies to future concerns about what happens when Tomb of the Nine Gods and Module 13's content move down to the epic dungeon queue, and something new is put into hero's accord. By that point, reaching 12k will have become significantly easier as well.

None of this is to say that we're not still considering making adjustments. All of your feedback is absolutely appreciated.

@asterdahl i ask that you and the other devs reconsider this. 11k is indeed a relatively easy requirement, but unlocking dungeons through campaigns (FBI within SKT or mSP within Cloaked Ascendancy) is not so much when you take in consideration that many players have a lot of toons. Just imagine the time expenditure of running campaigns with each character only so you can unlock random epic dungeons with each of them? This is not very alt-friendly.
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    asterdahl said:

In terms of leveling up, it's easier than ever thanks to the XP bonuses from random queues, this will especially speed things up 60-70 as the values are very high for those ranges.

Upon reaching level 70, you will now only need to run 1 random skirmish and 1 random dungeon to earn the same daily AD bonus as before.

1 random LEVELLING dungeon, which will bore you to tears as your companion solos it with you mostly AFK and you GERBIL off anyone who actually qualifies for the dungeon and wants to run it for real, not just stand their as a spectator while a L70's companion one-shots their bosses.

L70s in levelling dungeons are *griefers*. There's no excuse for gating epic progress behind requiring an epic player to stomp noob players.
  • Options
    asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer

asterdahl said:

Additionally, if you have yet to clear that dungeon, everyone who has will be notified that they will receive a new player bonus if the dungeon is completed successfully on the order of thousands of AD, which will be a motivation to make sure the dungeon is cleared even with a new player.

One point I'd like clarified is whether this is in effect with a private queue as well. As in, would players intentionally carrying* a friend through their first [whatever] qualify for the bonus? (Even though they're forfeiting random rewards on that particular run.)

*This is the wrong word. The friend may not require a carry and be capable of contributing, but hasn't done [whatever] before and has a specific goal in mind with not using the random queue system.

New player bonus is independent of random queues, but is such a small feature that I included it in this thread as a general QoL improvement to queues. New player bonus will be in effect if you queue manually or if you private queue.

• Options
    kolo7kol9kolo7kol9 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I do not let you force me to go Random in a Dungeon to earn my AD. This is ridiculous! I want to play with my Friends from all over the world, and now you will punish me for that? Thats a FAIL!

• Options
    yubit#2497 yubit Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    I'm sorry, but this is in no way benefiting anyone, so I can random queue for leveling dungeons? The real question here is 'WHY?' Why is this a necessity? Why should I bother? Why suddenly level 70s should flood leveling dungeons?!

There's absolutely no necessity of doing that atm, someone posted a suggestion like 10 pages ago that this Random queue should give extra rAD, and that would be ok, but to have it imposed as the only way to get the already miserable rAD from the first dungeon runs simply sux.

What's driving me crazy rn is that for some odd reason you aren't stating openly that we aren't getting any rAD for doing dungeons in a non-random queue, you only have us discussing this in circles over and over again, and probably the thing that is bothering me the most, is that you think you're doing us a favor with all these changes.
  • Options
    hastur905hastur905 Member Posts: 173 Arc User

asterdahl said:

I'm now at the point where it looks like the cart is so far before the horse... there is no longer a horse in sight.

Locking players from initial Level 70 attainment to 11k out of ALL epic dungeon random queues because of how many seals of the brave some top end players may feel frustration over not getting should they drop on ONE dungeon?

Has the frustration that entire sub 11k base will feel at not being able to queue for their level appropriate dungeons because you want an elite higher tier for people collecting seals of the brave not been made clear?

Bonkers. (There are better words for it than that, but none that won't get me a Mod Whacking...)
    Well I may be off base with this statement but .... taking in the fact that the community has been fairly vocal about the lack of progression being offered by running FBI and MSP because the rewards are not equivalent to running an ETOS perhaps one way to resolve this is too actually make them drop Seals of the Brave and move them into the higher category of the Random Q. I can only speak for myself but I do not run FBI or MSP for the potential rewards anymore, too many times the reward is a peridot or a rank 5 enchant or a lesser stone. Sure there are the groups that can speed run it, but on average it takes the parties I run with about 30 minutes to complete and that is with the current bonding setup, which we are aware is going to change.
    So let me play devils advocate for a second here, so with the bondings change and not ranking them up it is going to take 50% longer, so 45 minutes. With no change to the potential rewards at the end it would actually be faster to take a leaver penalty for 30 minutes and hope to get a T2 or T1 dungeon on the next Random Q for basically the same rewards. However, if there was a guarantee that despite whatever rewards I was going to get I would get Seals of the Brave, getting real gear progression out of the dungeon I would most likely stick it out, even if it took my an hour to complete the dungeon. Why? Because I would actually be progressing my character.
  • Options
    edited September 2017
    Entry Level, Easier Level 70 Cloak Tower EPIC dungeon that rewards rare gear or a little better. Better if you gave players something they could use or salvage from it. Get rid of allowing level 70s to queue for leveling dungeons. That's one of the legacies of mod 6 anyway. Could even start letting rare gear drop from mobs at max level like it did before mod 6.
  • Options
    plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,235 Arc User
    kolo7kol9 said:

I do not let you force me to go Random in a Dungeon to earn my AD. This is ridiculous! I want to play with my Friends from all over the world, and now you will punish me for that? Thats a FAIL!

Random queue does not mean random party. You can play with your friends from all over the world, form a party and join a random queue which gives you a random dungeon.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    Did any of you play this game during mod 5 or before? Please share with the class which epic dungeons you could do for a Daily Dungeon AD bonus reward.
  • Options
    edited September 2017

Did any of you play this game during mod 5 or before? Please share with the class which epic dungeons you could do for a Daily Dungeon AD bonus reward.

But you could get AD from invocation, leadership, selling looted gear, back then.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • Options
    edited September 2017

But you could get AD from invocation, leadership, selling looted gear, back then.
    You still get AD from invocation, you just actually have to do something to earn it. You still get AD from leadership, you just have to sell Refining materials on the AH to receive it. True, we no longer have much bind on equip gear, but we do get salvageable gear from more sources than we did back then.
  • Options
    armadeonxarmadeonx Member Posts: 4,952 Arc User

armadeonx said:

micky1p00 said:

armadeonx said:

micky1p00 said:

I think there is some discrepancy here.

When we do 2 eToS, we get now both the salvage and the rAD bonus. In the new system I'm forced to the leveling dungeons, due the requirements and the chance to get stuck in some happy places.
    So no salvage for the same run, and we gonna flood the lowbie dungeons, until I guess the scaling changed and then that will be 'nerfed' again.

He said we will get salvage and seals from the levelling dungeons and with that included we should earn in 1 levelling + 1 skirmish the same AD as we'd get from running x2 currently.

I am a little concerned about what they have in mind for scaling though - hopefully it won't go so far as to significantly increase time spent and even require a proper group mix (hard to do with 3 players lol)
    Hmm maybe I've missed it, but leveling dungeons have non-salvageable gear, and adventurers seals. There are some bonus protectors seals from the random queue itself but that's akin to the 1 daily bag of 40 seals we get now the first run, so we can count those 2 out (the bag = random queue seals bonus, independent of the dungeon).
    He said he was adding them, I re-read it just to make sure :wink:
    I also re-read and I'm not seeing where you concluded this from. When describing the earning potential of running one random dungeon and one random skirmish, only the skirmish is mentioned as having potential salvage rewards.

Ah I actually misread the statement (twice lol) it's salvage from seals, not direct salvage from chests/drops - quote below:

"When you factor in salvage from the additional bonus seals that were not present in leveling dungeons or skirmishes before"

Please Do Not Feed The Trolls

Xael De Armadeon: DC
    Xane De Armadeon: CW
    Zen De Armadeon: OP
    Zohar De Armadeon: TR
    Chrion De Armadeon: SW
    Gosti Big Belly: GWF
    Barney McRustbucket: GF
    Lt. Thackeray: HR
    Lucius De Armadeon: BD

Member of Casual Dailies - XBox
  • Options

Those were the days. I used to love running the GG dungeons and getting BIS gear to sell. Only issues were loot ninjas, I can see this coming back with a vengeance. If TonG drops one mark that needs to be rolled on, it will be dog eat dog.
    Disable kicking from party once the last boss is defeated.
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User
    edited September 2017

Entry Level, Easier Level 70 Cloak Tower EPIC dungeon that rewards rare gear or a little better. Better if you gave players something they could use or salvage from it. Get rid of allowing level 70s to queue for leveling dungeons. That's one of the legacies of mod 6 anyway. Could even start letting rare gear drop from mobs at max level like it did before mod 6.

At least make L70s queing for levelling dungeons *enter a level 70 version of the dungeon*.

Very simple: Same dungeon, same maps, same objectives, same EVERYTHING, monsters are level 70 instead of whatever their normal level is, and drop loot like every other level 70 monster in the game. The ending chest has level 70 loot and drops some basic L70 seals.

Just level the monsters up to 70. It'll still be easy compared to MC or VT, but at least it won't be as frustratingly dull for L70 players and as as annoying for levelling players who have L70s stomping their dungeon flat.

Seriously, try it on preview. For a week, set the level of the levelling dungeons to 70, all monsters 70, all players 70, everything, and see if that's not just 10000% better than sending level 70s into level 18 content.
  • Options
    kolo7kol9kolo7kol9 Member Posts: 5 Arc User

kolo7kol9 said:

Random queue does not mean random party. You can play with your friends from all over the world, form a party and join a random queue which gives you a random dungeon.
    Thanks for the explaination. But it will still be a Random Dungeon, and NOT that Dungeon the Cleric from the Fortress gives you. So you have to decide to do something for the Guild OR for yourselfe. You need a lot of time to do both, arent you?

(Sorry for my English)

• Options
    @asterdahl I see you're commenting on most points raised, but there is one issue you haven't replied on; concerns about the anti-leaver penalty. I have quoted myself below in the hope that it will get addressed:
    armadeonx said:

I can live with these proposals. Ok, bust through a levelling dungeon & skirmish, appx 15-20 mins on one character for a quick shot of easy AD then move on to serious content. players under 70 will have to deal with an increase in 70's in 'their' dungeons, but then again, how many actual new players do we have?

I do have a couple of points/questions;

* The new anti-leaver penalty; is it being applied to all dungeons or just randoms?

* Do you still think the leaver penalty is a good idea? As a person who hardly ever leaves a run, I would rather someone who wants to leave can leave and the rest of us can get on with it, rather than have them troll the group or not join in to deliberately elicit a votekick.

* The only time I leave a group is if a player is being offensive in chat or trolling the group - this means I now have to stay and put up with it. Yes, I can block/report them, but do we really want to go that route?

* Will the vote require a majority (3/5) or a full vote (4/5)?

* Currently in levelling dungeons there is a 15 minute wait before you can votekick someone. As a run is usually completed in 5 minutes, it means players either quit or have to wait 10 mins at the door if someone is deliberately holding the group up. Can this be shortened to a more reasonable length?

• Options

Those were the days. I used to love running the GG dungeons and getting BIS gear to sell. Only issues were loot ninjas, I can see this coming back with a vengeance. If TonG drops one mark that needs to be rolled on, it will be dog eat dog.
    Make that; once the last dungeon door is activated - otherwise you'll get kicked when he has 1% health.

• Options
    kolo7kol9 said:

kolo7kol9 said:

Thanks for the explaination. But it will still be a Random Dungeon, and NOT that Dungeon the Cleric from the Fortress gives you. So you have to decide to do something for the Guild OR for yourselfe. You need a lot of time to do both, arent you?

(Sorry for my English)

Yes, you are correct.
  • Options
    armadeonx said:

Make that; once the last dungeon door is activated - otherwise you'll get kicked when he has 1% health.
    Sounds good.
This discussion has been closed.