test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Refinement: Technical Details

Comments

• Options
    wilsonekpolskawilsonekpolska Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Hi @noworries#8859 Can i ask how we get "Enchantment Stones" ?
  • Options
    srsaul#8456 srsaul Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    with the new changes is it possible to refine artifact in to artifact like we do now ?
    i couldn't find anything about that so i am sure we won't be allowed in the next update

would we still have critical success ?
    i am sure it will be taken away

the refining changes look ok at first but once you make Artifact equipment go all the way to mythic we will end up in a worst situation than before and for people with alts all this changes are really bad news now i have to change all my bondings for whatever new and better bonding you bring out later in the game i have 8 alts with 3 bondings each how is that fare i hear people complaining about one char lol and i will do what i always do when you make stupid changes nothing i will not be running to get the latest and greatest stuff i just wait until they get so chip that i can get them easy one or two mods later what is the point on rushing if you will get better things in the next level cap increase that has been planed for the longest time mod 13 sounds right for that i know the plan here is to make money as much as you can but how is resentment and mistrust going to make you lots of money i love this game but i guess you have to learn the hard way trust is one of those things that you can't get back.
  • Options
    lowjohnlowjohn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,061 Arc User

How will the special refinement stones for Artifact Weapons convert? The ones that may be 5000 for non artifact weapons and 50000 for artifact?

Reducing the cost by 1/2 on Artifact weapons doesn't make up for all the RP I will lose on these. I have been saving the special stones but wont have my artifact weapons ready in time I think.....

Those stones will convert to RP as if they're being put into the higher-value item. So your 5000/50,000 item will convert to 50,000 RP.
  • Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

Where you used to get Marks of Stability, Power and Union. The newest tier will start off coming from the Chult dungeon.
  • Options

with the new changes is it possible to refine artifact in to artifact like we do now ?

i couldn't find anything about that so i am sure we won't be allowed in the next update

Not exactly: You can turn an artifact into RP, then use the RP in another artifact, but you can't get the "feeder artifact" amplification effect.

You'll be happy to know you're wrong. You can still crit when turning an RP item into RP, and you will get bonus RP when that happens. There's a Dev post about it on page 1.

the refining changes look ok at first but once you make Artifact equipment go all the way to mythic we will end up in a worst situation than before

I don't see how.

and for people with alts all this changes are really bad news now i have to change all my bondings for whatever new and better bonding you bring out later in the game i have 8 alts with 3 bondings each how is that fare

Why would you need to change? They're getting nerfed slightly because they're currently too good, but they're still going to be strong.

i hear people complaining about one char lol and i will do what i always do when you make stupid changes nothing i will not be running to get the latest and greatest stuff i just wait until they get so chip that i can get them easy one or two mods later what is the point on rushing if you will get better things in the next level cap increase that has been planed for the longest time mod 13 sounds right for that i know the plan here is to make money as much as you can but how is resentment and mistrust going to make you lots of money i love this game but i guess you have to learn the hard way trust is one of those things that you can't get back.

And here I'm sorry, I'm not sure what you're saying. Can you break that into sentences? I *think* you're complaining about why work hard for a thing when catchup items that are as-good or nearly-as-good will appear 6 months later, and the answer to that is "so you don't have to wait 6 months?"
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

Items that can crit will still be able to crit when converted to the currency format. That's from a dev post somewhere in here.

One caveat I'd place on this is that most RP item drops will now be types of stones that historically did not crit though. Enchants and runes will mostly have more value if ranked up, not used as RP. Many players will still likely skip using gear for RP due to the inconvenience factor (mass-ID only helps in part). Artifact stones are being phased out.

If the devs intend to add the chance to crit to peridots and their ilk though, so much the better.

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    zacoria1405zacoria1405 Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    So a rank 12 bonding will give 65% of companion stats, what will a rank 14 bonding give?
  • Options
    stark760stark760 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 654 Arc User
    lowjohn said:

asa#5821 said:

Well you all need to fix the % rate on wards using 20 30 and even 40 ward on a 20% chance is flat out robbery , I've encountered on last dbe RP 67 wards on a 10% chance , rediculous , explain the math to me ? Seriously , a TRANS enchant sayy lightening cost a player 4 to 5 million AD ... whats thatt approx. $160.00 for 1 item , your talking over $1,800 to $2,500 + for an end game character ... and you can't make wards work ? 10% = 1 in 10 chance ... I just feel your not as concerned about your gamers as you are the money you have spilling in ... if your putting up odds you should at least get them right .

Failing 20 times in a row on a 20% chance is a 1.15% chance - put another way, of every 100 people attempting that 20% chance? 1 of them SHOULD fail 20 times in a row.

Failing 40 times in a row on a 20% chance is about a 1 in 7500 chance. One out of every 7500 players SHOULD fail 40 times in a row.

Failing 67 times in a row on a 10% chance, by contrast, is only about a 1/1100 chance. Another way of putting that is, out of every 1100 players, one of them was you.

The odds work just fine.

Although I would certainly prefer an STO-style upgrade system, where every failed upgrade adds to the chance of the next attempt. So if you fail a 1%, the next chance is 2%, then 3%, etc, up until you finally get the success and the chance of the NEXT upgrade resets to zero. STO upgrades start at much lower percentages than NW upgrades, though: You'll NEVER see even a 50% chance of upgrade on a first attempt. I think the highest possible upgrade chance is from a 1/year event "RP" item + a lockbox-drop upgrade booster on a Mark II Rare (lowest possible IL) item, and that will come in at about 40%.

(and the item will be Mark VII *and* Legendary when the upgrade finishes, unless you're super-unlucky, so you just need to pump in more RP to get it up to max Mark level and you're good. But, again, it's a different system.)
    I sent a similar ticket when I failed 30 times upgrading 2 rank 6's, a 30% chance on each. Support said that was what made refining "exciting". Odds were over 1/100,000 to fail 16 times in a row, followed by 14 more on the next. I was really excited the entire time.
  • Options
    ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    edited September 2017
    Every time I refine something I consider quitting the game. I'm "super excited" to get to do it so many more times now. Pardon my snark.
    Post edited by ravenskya on
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• Options
    whitestaruawhitestarua Member Posts: 175 Arc User

Even more reliance on Preservation and Coalescent wards... wonderful.

Needing a second enchantment/enhancement to go up a tier is no longer a thing. That alone significantly reduces the number of coalescent wards it takes to level up a weapon/armor Enhancement. The percentage chance of success of enchantments and runestones was improved as well, meaning fewer preservation wards needed.
    You got rid of some of the 25 and 20% chances, but added more 3 and 1% chances - tell me HOW exactly that means less wards will be needed?
    Those are new ranks.

Currently on live the percentage chances are:
    95, 90, 85, 60, 40, 30, 25, 20, 10, 5, 3

The new percentages are:
    100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5

Then there are two new ranks which are 3 and 1.

On top of that, ranks 7, 8 and 9 no longer need a second rank 7, 8 and 9. Which takes out all of the ranking up of second gems over and over (which required their own preservation wards to rank up).

Needing a second enchantment/enhancement to go up a tier is no longer a thing. That alone significantly reduces the number of coalescent wards it takes to level up a weapon/armor Enhancement. The percentage chance of success of enchantments and runestones was improved as well, meaning fewer preservation wards needed.

Currently for 12lvl from 7 you need ~90 preservation wards.
    With new system -> 75 + 1 coalescent ward.

So we need more no less.
    I see ~29 needed to go from 1 to 12. And a total of ~63 to get to rank 13. And then a coalescent ward to get to 14.

It is much easier to get to rank 12 now.

From 7 to 13:
    7 -> 8 (40%) = 1/0.4 = 2.5
    8 -> 9 (30%) = 1/0.3 = 3.3
    9 -> 10 (20%) = 1/0.2 = 5
    10 -> 11 (10%) = 1/0.1 = 10
    11 -> 12 (5%) = 1/0.05 = 20
    Summ = 20+10+5+3.3+2.5 = 40.8 to 12lvl
    12 -> 13 (3%) = 1/0.03 = 33.33

Summ - 40.8 +33.33 = 74.13 ~75
    75-6 = 69 but no 63....

Why you have 63 from 1 to 13?
  • Options

You got rid of some of the 25 and 20% chances, but added more 3 and 1% chances - tell me HOW exactly that means less wards will be needed?
    Those are new ranks.

Currently on live the percentage chances are:
    95, 90, 85, 60, 40, 30, 25, 20, 10, 5, 3

The new percentages are:
    100, 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 40, 30, 20, 10, 5

Then there are two new ranks which are 3 and 1.

On top of that, ranks 7, 8 and 9 no longer need a second rank 7, 8 and 9. Which takes out all of the ranking up of second gems over and over (which required their own preservation wards to rank up).

Currently for 12lvl from 7 you need ~90 preservation wards.
    With new system -> 75 + 1 coalescent ward.

So we need more no less.
    I see ~29 needed to go from 1 to 12. And a total of ~63 to get to rank 13. And then a coalescent ward to get to 14.

It is much easier to get to rank 12 now.

From 7 to 13:
    7 -> 8 (40%) = 1/0.4 = 2.5
    8 -> 9 (30%) = 1/0.3 = 3.3
    9 -> 10 (20%) = 1/0.2 = 5
    10 -> 11 (10%) = 1/0.1 = 10
    11 -> 12 (5%) = 1/0.05 = 20
    Summ = 20+10+5+3.3+2.5 = 40.8 to 12lvl
    12 -> 13 (3%) = 1/0.03 = 33.33

Summ - 40.8 +33.33 = 74.13 ~75
    75-6 = 69 but no 63....

Why you have 63 from 1 to 13?
    I left out an addition on my earlier statement, it should be 38 to go from 1 to 12 and 70 to go from 1-13.

I see this time you - 6 which brings us in agreement on the total. For others looking on that is because 10% means you will succeed 1 out of 10 times on average. When you succeed you don't use a preservation ward, so each calculation is -1 at the end. That means you'd on average use up 9 preservation wards going from 10 to 11.

• Options
    stark760 said:

I sent a similar ticket when I failed 30 times upgrading 2 rank 6's, a 30% chance on each. Support said that was what made refining "exciting". Odds were over 1/100,000 to fail 16 times in a row, followed by 14 more on the next. I was really excited the entire time.

Nah, you're calculating the wrong thing, it's nowhere NEAR 1/100000 for your whole situation. You don't want "fail 16, succeed, fail 14, succeed, in that order". That's unlikely but it COULD have happened several other ways. You want the odds of "failing 30 times and succeeding once in any order, then succeeding once" to correctly match your situation. "Failing 30 times and succeeding twice in any order" is actually more like it, except you wouldn't have kept going if you succeeded early.

Regardless: 16 fails is a 0.3% chance, or 1/300. 14 fails is 0.6%, or 1/150. Sucks that you were the unlucky dude twice in a row, but in a mere *450* players, you were two of them.

• Options

I left out an addition on my earlier statement, it should be 38 to go from 1 to 12 and 70 to go from 1-13.

I see this time you - 6 which brings us in agreement on the total. For others looking on that is because 10% means you will succeed 1 out of 10 times on average. When you succeed you don't use a preservation ward, so each calculation is -1 at the end. That means you'd on average use up 9 preservation wards going from 10 to 11.

Yeap, thx.

What we will have in drop from mobs instead 5lvl ench?
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User

I have two queries and concerns i'm hoping you can clarify for me please:

1. Is this table correct? Should the runestone actually provide that many HPs?

Overview Thread: https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/neverwinter#/discussion/1234031/refining-refinement

Empowered: Hit Points

Rank 1Rank 2Rank 3Rank 4Rank 5Rank 6Rank 7Rank 8Rank 9Rank 10Rank 11Rank 12Rank 13Rank 14
      120024003600 4800 6000 8000 10000 12000 14000 16000 20000 24000 28000 32000

2. What will happen to Character bound items, such as a transmuted artifact main hand weapon? Will they become Bind to Account instead in order to permit transferring it to a character with Refinement Point currency to either upgrade or turn into RP currency?

The obvious problem with having Character bound items is that if you have possession of them on one character, you cannot transfer them to another to use that second character's RP currency.

I believe it would be unfair to players who have Character bound items not to permit them the same opportunities to upgrade their items as anyone else.

With that in mind, i recommend firstly that the Refinement Point currency is shared account-wide or, Character bound items which can be upgraded are changed to Bind to Account instead.
    3. Now because we switched to a currency and want to try for manageable amounts of currency. We reduced both the value of RP points of the items and the cost to upgrade items by a factor of 10. Example a black opal now awards 1,000 RP, but costs are lowered by the same factor as well. To be very clear, this does not change the cost of refinement at all!

Can you clarify and confirm that costs are indeed lowered by a factor of 10 please? For example, current amounts of RP required to upgrade an enchantment from rank 1 to rank 12 costs 2,160,000 Refinement Points while your new system indicates a total of 141,602 Refinement Points is required. My math could be wrong, yet i thought 2,160,000 reduced by a factor of 10 would make that new system require 216,000 instead?
    4. Can you please clarify and confirm that to upgrade an enchantment from rank 1 to rank 12 will cost a total of 141,602 RP and that the resulting rank 12 enchantment will have a Refinement Point value usable of 50,000? The current system provides 2,160,000 RP necessary to upgrade to rank 12 with a Refinement Point value of 272,160.
    5. Can you please clarify and confirm that to upgrade an enchantment from rank 1 to rank 12 will require resource costs of 5 x Greater Marks of Potency and 3 x Superior Marks of Potency, as opposed to the current system requiring 5 x Greater Marks of Potency and 6 x Superior Marks of Potency?
    Many thanks in advance for the clarification and confirmation!

Most Enchantments & Runestone are unbound items and you can freely change them between characters or even later decide to sell them if you want to buy a different one to try them out instead. There are only a few very limited Enchantments awarded during a few very limited missions where the Enchantment is Character bound but 99.95% are unbound and remain that way.

And yes both the Refinement Currency & Refinement both are being reduced by a factor of 10 he's stated that on numerous occasions. Also the RP even after this change was then further reduced on Artifacts by 50% (so it's almost like 2x RP all the time) and with the elimination of duplicate Enchants along with using preservation & coal ward on Enchantments you then had to use as refining stones it further reduces the RP needed by 20-30% on most Enchantments. And even with 2x RP going away we do NOT yet realize the benefits of the RP bonus weekend you could see some random possibly even higher RP stones drop from enchantments, mount insignia bonuses, leadership or even just randomly at times in drops during a RP bonus event.

We'll just have to wait and see as we see them introducing 2 stones offering higher values that the current Brilliant Diamond (today offering 250,000 or in future 25,000 RP) and we don't even yet know where or how those may be earned we'll just have to stay tuned for likely news in the year or two ahead.
  • Options
    wilbur626wilbur626 Member Posts: 1,019 Arc User
    @noworries#8859 Why isn't my fav enchant, Wicked, mentioned at all ?
    Elite Whaleboy
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    edited August 2017

You're about to lose your bread and butter, neverwinter.

Millions and millions spent, as well as countless hours grinding to get our bondings and upgrade them... because they're the BEST... And now you're literally making them comparable to an eldrich?

Everyone I have spoken to is in agreement with never spending another dime on your game, should these changes go live as is.

I'll gladly go back to paying for a Warcraft server monthly (it's cheaper than this "free" to play)

The fact remains a R12 Bonding gains a +840 buff while also extending a 95% augment boost (while both the player & companion benefit from the same stat which the player is extended 3x) where a R12 Eldritch today only provides a far smaller 12% if loaded into a defense slot.

Even if Eldritch extend the bonus of augmentation at current rank levels a little it makes some augments viable options for some but it will remain with two higher levels at R14 Bondings will likely still remain almost 2.5x more powerful than most other Runestones. They just couldn't extend the current Bonding advantages which were already so vast to providing R14 bondings which a much higher buff than other Runestones while also extending the augmentation boost to >150% per stone.

So those claiming their giving up their Bonding Pet's for an Augment will still find their damage or survivability will be far greater with Bondings even with a 50% uptime.

Remember today how much people grind for the +5 Ring Sudden from Underdark to gain +4000 buff for 10s every 30s - the fact remains many people still use and LOVE those rings. Bondings providing 50% uptime in future is still far superior to 33% given by the +5 Sudden Rings not to mention their the only Runestone where you gain a higher buff in addition to the high Augmentation benefit. <3
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User

hustin1 said:

@noworries can we get a better picture of the "chance" for tranquil and serene runestones? I've always wanted to try them out and I have some saved up but it's really hard to gauge whether they're worth it. I have a couple alts who rely very heavily on their companions to deal damage so keeping companions alive is a huge priority.

That said, I'd like to plant an idea in the back of your mind if possible: with PvE enemies doing as much damage as they do, they can often take a companion down in one or two hits. It would be interesting if there was a runestone that granted a companion a chance of a (massive) temporary HP and/or defense boost. Such a runestone should only affect the companion, however, never the player.

The HPs from Empowered were increased quite a bit to try and help with the lifespan of companions. I can look into digging up the chance on Serene and Tranquil tomorrow.
    Yeah, after I posted I then noticed the HP boost on empowered runestones. I'll definitely be refining some of those. Any word on the serene and tranquil ones?

Oh, here's another thought that I'd like to plant: allowing us to put RP currency into our shared bank, like we can with gold and tradebars. You'd have to be very careful with the implementation, though: the last time I checked, I ran into a nasty bug with the shared tradebar portion. It had (has?) a silent cap of 10,000 tradebars. Anything that you would deposit once it had reached that capacity would simply be destroyed. I lost over 4,000 tradebars that way. I'd recommend making sure such a bug didn't arise :wink:
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    strathkin said:

So those claiming their giving up their Bonding Pet's for an Augment will still find their damage or survivability will be far greater with Bondings even with a 50% uptime.

I think you're right about damage, but I'm not so sure it applies to survivability. Today, my HR has a base DR of 75% before any Bondings kick in. When they do, if I load defensive gear on her companion, it passes 130%. While peak DR would still be higher with Bondings than with Eldritch, against bosses she really can't afford to have no defense boost half of the time. So in that specific case, I'm looking at switching over to 3 Eldritch runestones for the 100% uptime. Even so, she'll take a performance hit: today I can get by with 110% DR by putting *offensive* gear on her defender companion, which boosts her damage output. To reach an acceptable DR post-change I'll have to switch over to defensive companion gear. Now, in my case, that's something I can live with, but it is a case where Eldritch can make more sense.
  • Options
    hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

@noworries can we get a better picture of the "chance" for tranquil and serene runestones? I've always wanted to try them out and I have some saved up but it's really hard to gauge whether they're worth it. I have a couple alts who rely very heavily on their companions to deal damage so keeping companions alive is a huge priority.

That said, I'd like to plant an idea in the back of your mind if possible: with PvE enemies doing as much damage as they do, they can often take a companion down in one or two hits. It would be interesting if there was a runestone that granted a companion a chance of a (massive) temporary HP and/or defense boost. Such a runestone should only affect the companion, however, never the player.

The HPs from Empowered were increased quite a bit to try and help with the lifespan of companions. I can look into digging up the chance on Serene and Tranquil tomorrow.
    Yeah, after I posted I then noticed the HP boost on empowered runestones. I'll definitely be refining some of those. Any word on the serene and tranquil ones?
    Serene and Tranquil have a 12.5% chance of triggering on all tiers.

• Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

And this is on any hit with no cooldown?

Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    edited August 2017

hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

Thanks! Now to boost my Powrie minions! (evil grin)
  • Options

hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

hustin1 said:

Looks like an 8 second cooldown. Will have to look into getting that info into the tooltips.
  • Options

Where you used to get Marks of Stability, Power and Union. The newest tier will start off coming from the Chult dungeon.
    Purple marks will be Greater Enchantment Stones?
    Blue = Enchantment Stones?
    Superior from Tomb of 9 Gods?

It is all correct?
  • Options
    pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited September 2017

Armor/Weapon Enhancement Ranks:

RankChance SuccessRP RequiredMaterials
    Shard->Lesser1%09 Identical Shards
    Lesser->Average1%50005x Greater Potency
    Average->Greater1%1500010x Greater Potency + 3x Enchatment Stones
    Greater->Perfect1%3000015x Greater Potency + 6x Enchantment Stones
    Perfect->Pure1%4000010x Superior Potency + 3x Greater Enchantment Stones
    Pure->Transcendent1%5000015x Superior Potency + 6x Greater Enchantment Stones
    Transcendent->Unparalleled1%5500010x Ultimate Potency + 3x Superior Enchantment Stones

I didn't catch this last night, but unless Superior Marks of Potency become more widely available or cheaper, ranking a weapon or armor enchant past perfect just got a LOT more expensive. It's cheaper getting up to perfect, but even at VIP prices, it would cost over a million AD just in SMOPs to go from perfect to transcendent, not including wards and enchant stones.

It sounds like if you already have any Perfects or Pures, you better rank them up before this goes live.
  • Options
    ecrana#2080 ecrana Member Posts: 1,654 Arc User

So am I understanding this right. We're losing stats with the changes to bondings. We can gain stats back with higher level enchants.

To upgrade enchants to max level and get back some of our lost stats we need Superior Enchantment Stones that only drop from the new, and hardest, dungeon?

So basically this sounds like MSVA farming to get special marks. Except instead of trying to improve stats it's more a case of being forced in there just to get my toon back stats that were lost. Oh and MSVA worked so well that most people I know said screw relic weapons and went after a river district set.

Door...meet foot.