test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Refining Refinement

Comments

• ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    Clear money grab unfortunately - last night I was trying to figure out the game they were playing (decisions like this aren't made without $$ in mind)

Previously if you ranked an enchant up from the 5's you pick up on the ground and used all coal wards you'd spend $70

Now it will be $140 per enchant to take it from 1-14

And all of us at rank 12's will have to invest another $20 per enchant
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User
    My post on the page 4 of this thread has too much information, i'll try to sum up:

With what type of gemstone will Lesser Resonance and Lesser Thaumaturgic be replaced? Right now people farm them from Dragon Run/Heralds of Tiamat (Well of Dragons) and quests (Sharandar) and they are worth 2500 RP each (250 under the new system). If you replace them with Peridots this means 5 times less RP (since each peridot has 500 rp or 50 under the new rules). Cutting RP progressions by half won't make our lifes easier depending on the kind of replacement we're going to have. They must be replaced at least by this new Emerald gem to not severely harm our RP stacking potential. Also some of the new gems (and more variety of the old ones) should drop from Dragon's Hoard Enchant and Wanderer's Fortune.
  • tgwolftgwolf Member Posts: 501 Arc User
    araneax said:

While everyone is crying about a supposed nerf (it's not, it's reblancing. Nerfing something does NOT give you something else in return), I am rather glad to see this happen. It will make the powercreep curve for new players a lot easier to manage.

And what exactly do you receive with the bonding nerf ?
    ( what exactly are you getting in return ? )

Lol....
    The ability to improve the equipment and enchantments of your character exponentially faster and easier with the new system saving resources and subsequently, AD, that you can then use on other avenues of improvement or fancy that you previously had to forgo due to financial constraints.

If you were already maxed out (as in 16-17k+ iLvL) then congrats, nothing will change. You were disgustingly OP for all content before and you still will be then.

If not then good news, progression just got somewhat easier and you'll be stronger for it shortly anyway.
  • patruciuspatrucius Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    tgwolf said:

araneax said:

While everyone is crying about a supposed nerf (it's not, it's reblancing. Nerfing something does NOT give you something else in return), I am rather glad to see this happen. It will make the powercreep curve for new players a lot easier to manage.

Lol....
    The ability to improve the equipment and enchantments of your character exponentially faster and easier with the new system saving resources and subsequently, AD, that you can then use on other avenues of improvement or fancy that you previously had to forgo due to financial constraints.

If you were already maxed out (as in 16-17k+ iLvL) then congrats, nothing will change. You were disgustingly OP for all content before and you still will be then.

If not then good news, progression just got somewhat easier and you'll be stronger for it shortly anyway.
    That's really not at all the case though... The new system is only kinda, maybe, almost more efficient for (non-armor/weapon) enchantments and runestones, and only if you were planning to upgrade enchantments solely through thaumatergic stones and gemstones, which was significantly less efficient in terms of AD-RP than using matching enchants/runestones.

If a player hadn't upgraded their artifacts yet... I feel truly sorry for them and the grinding hell it's going to take them to get legendary/mythic artifacts.

If a player hadn't upgraded their weapon/armor enchantments yet... then I feel even worse for them, despite the removal of the requirement of a second copy of the enchantment to upgrade at levels 7/8/9, the price on those is still going to shoot through the roof due to the new (and ridiculous) mark of potency costs.
  • weirdowz#1665 weirdowz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    tl;dr: 35% nerf to maximum possible shared stats, regardless of RP/AD input into new runestones/enchantments, and dc/op buffs don't work on augments the way they do on bondings = even more nerf

So I decided not to raise my pitchfork right away, and instead make a spreadsheet with the upcoming changes to runestones and enchantments regarding companions,
    looking at +4 IG gears with double offensive slots and the best possible combination of companion and runestones (2x empowered in offensive slots, 1x eldritch in defensive slot) the stats my character will gain from my companion is 22190 raw offensive stats (distributed in power/crit/armorpen/recovery depending on what ring/enchantments). THIS IS WITH NEW R14 STATS.
    pre-nerf (current) with R12 bonding and R12 enchantments/runestones and the same +4 IG gears on a bonding companion the theoretical maximum of stats gained from your companion is 34440 stats. THIS IS WITH OLD R12 STATS.

This means overall this will be a 35% nerf, even if we assume we all have 102384290384023984 billion AD or RP lying around to instantly upgrade our hard earned r12's to r14's and to buy the best possible companion & other runestones instead of bondings

Granted, I didn't play when augment companions were the meta, so I don't exactly know how they work regarding dc buffs on them, OP aura gift that buffs them etc, but my understanding (got told this from guildies) is that dc power buffs from encounters won't even affect augment companions like they do combat companions, there is uncertainty if power share from dc aura or op aura gifts do work, so I'll ignore that for now, but if they don't the best amount of stats gained is even lower than what we currently can get (because current bondings do transfer all stat buffs dc's and op's can give us). And I just realised I didn't even take protector's camaraderie and friendship into consideration here... RIP.

If cryptic would be so kind to not nerf the uptime of bondings, we would get 30.1k raw offensive stats from our companion with the NEW R14 stuffs, which is still a (tiny) nerf compared to old (current) bondings, but will require us to spend billions of RP/AD to achieve and still let us have the ability to have our companions buffed to benefit us... but both nerfing their sharing AND the ability for them to be buffed and shared to use is MASSIVE.

For calculations check this spreadsheet I made: google doc spreadsheet
    it's pretty crude formatting, but I think most of you will be able to figure out how the math works
    (for jokes on the bottom I checked the optimal pet with current gear in the game (+5 chult rings and whatever slots possible on the companion, there is currently NO augment companion with the required 3 ring slots and 2x def 1x off runestone slots, this is just a theoretical maximum)
    Since I main a prot OP I checked with shared HP as well (since augment companions apparently do that and 10% of my hp = power as long as I get hit...), and I know cryptic wants to promote the use of different kind of runestones, but all they do is swap the focus from bondings to empowered and take away my option of active companion and make it 100% have to be bulette pup... Overall giving me even less options (if I want to be most effective possible) than before.

I do look forward to the upcoming RP changes, but this bonding nerf is a massive slap in the face compared to that...
    agilesto said:

It looks like the only ones upset by these changes' are the ones exploit?
    Is this a change to fix the exploit, or to make the game more balanced?

I hope it will bring some balance to the game, so Tired of dps and clerics, running thru dungeons leaving mobs behind them, to kill weaker players. This is not a racing game, it's a teamwork game' (my ignore list is full of these kind of players, if you could make it so when someone is on your ignore list we don't get put in a Que group with them again that would be a great fix)

If you can do anything to make people slow down, and work as a team that would be wonderful.

Well you're going to be pleased, at the very end-game content is designed for bondings and they're killing them.
    But i'm kinda afraid that the "issue" of bad behaviour have absolutly nothing to do with bondings and that you are aiming at the wrong target...

I've run TotNG with full groups using only Augments, all geared at no more than 13k iLvL and we had zero, yep ZERO trouble completing it or any of the Mod12 content. Even solo, we had no issues.

You know why this is?

Because we learned to play the game, our characters themselves house our ArPen so there are no issues with Companion problems occurring, none of the content is near difficult enough to require Bondings in the slightest, it only makes it easier replacing the level of skill or effort required by brute forcing everything instead.

If not having everything handed to you is some kind of inconvenience to your sensibilities then perhaps this isn't the game for you. There are several people who tried this game out months or even a year back who I've told about the change and will be returning now because of the changes and I'm sure they'll more than make up for your absence.

People mention this is the worst thing since "Keygate"? LOL.

My time invested/Loot quality gained ratio has improved by at least 300% since that change, I'd rather give up my key and get something decent every 3-5 runs at most than save my key every time and after 200+ runs have nothing to show for it but wasting my time.

• drgeeves#4494 drgeeves Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    araneax said:

Lol....
    Ah yes, what is it I am getting in return... Hmm let's see...

- More inventory space. Nah that aint happening.
    - A new currency instead of 3497234685 different items. Probably not.
    - Extra ranks in all echantments, enhancements and runestones. Yeah right, that'll never happen.
    - Half cost to upgrade artifacts, artifact weapons/armour, enchantments, enhancements and runestones? I must be stoned or drunk thinking that will happen.
    - More RP related drops. Dream on.

/end sarcasm

I I get tons of things at the cost of toning down the power of Top rank Bonding stones.
    All I really need to invest more into is Wards.
    ravenskya said:

Sooo... Gems are no longer going to drop in regular game play
    My guild needs gems

Please enlighten me as to where these gems are going to come from - is that temporary gem dude mandatory now? Do we have to all make gem crates in professions? Did you all think this part through?

Are you going to remove gems/surplus/AD/gold as a requirement for upgrading guilds? Or did you just lock all of the guilds in place behind the gem wall?

They said gems like Peridots etc. will be able to be donated.

Plus why not make crates? /It's by far the easiest and least resource consuming way to get Gems atm.
  • yubit#2497 yubit Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    So how much exactly is this 'less' on refinement needed for enchants? Coz if its not reduced at least by HALF, then why getting rid of x2RP, getting rank 14s will take forever! And the rewards in dungeons are still unchanged and we will take way longer to complete them.

Do you guys even play your own game? Do you guys have multiple characters and done all the progression in a legit way? Because it doesn't seem like it.

I was finally enjoying the game again, finally got some legendary mounts and I was having fun, then this mess happens and I don't feel like playing anymore, I'm not even mad, I'm sad and disappointed, and I'm not the only one, plz revisit this whole mess before its too late.
  • mamalion1234mamalion1234 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,415 Arc User
    The way i read it you represent the nerf on refinement like you do us a favor.
    As i say yes you nerf because with old system on enchantments: example radiant refine into radiant = x2 and in double refine x4.
    artifacts of power into an artifact of power is double and x4 in double rp event.

So what are you doing you reduce the costs yes and you reduce the value of rp yes and you change the rp to be one thing ( here is the nerf).
  • thyrannoothyrannoo Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited August 2017

Suggestion for bonding before it's too late (if it's not too late):

Keep the uptime at 100%, just adjust the % of stats given closer to the auguments (slightly higher, why? so people don't switch to auguments only). This way both will be viable and used.

Any comments on this? @noworries#8859

Any comments on this? @noworries#8859

• mebalz#9859 mebalz Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    In later news arc games announces mod 13 neverwinter sunset after announcing nerfing bonding's a lot of players are going to leave and its the ones that shell out the $$$ Hope you reconsider the change every facebook page forum is full of mad mad players all about ready to walk away and well just play another game
  • valnoledvalnoled Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    tgwolf said:

armadeonx said:

I'm ok with the refinement changes. I do honestly believe the bonding changes will have a severely negative impact on players, the community and Cryptic's profits.

The change is a lot less drastic than people make it out to be, this community lives to overreact and make threats when things are changed. Sure mistakes get made occasionally but that's what future adjustments are for and sans melodramatic people there is no proof as of yet that the changes will be wholly significant.

When the change first goes live, people with R12 Bondings will take an initial blow, this is true but if this is of concern to them then their first and practically immediate action to take will be to get their Bondings to R14; something made relatively easy to do under the new system.
    No, they do not overreact. They base builds with ArP and Crit Chance on pet stats and BIS. You can't rely on crit and ArP if they are bouncing.
    No it won't be that easy to get 14th lvl BIS. They will need 3x2 Coal wards. They worth 850k-1kk each on Russian server. And all that to get buff not even close to the current.
    tgwolf said:

armadeonx said:

I'm ok with the refinement changes. I do honestly believe the bonding changes will have a severely negative impact on players, the community and Cryptic's profits.

In boss fights, tbh I'm sick of seeing bosses die in 2 minutes because everyone is doing broken levels of damage. A Boss should be just that; a Boss. Give me a good 5-10 minute fight for heaven's sake.

People need to give changes a chance to occur before threatening to start WWIII over them.
    10 minutes with boss? Oh, good luck with farming new artifacts and gear then with infamous Cryptic drop rate. Several hours to go through a couple of dungeons, sounds really great... and your reward will be some purple item. Awesome!!!

• sundance777sundance777 Member Posts: 1,097 Arc User
    I like the idea of simplifying the refinement system. I think however this ends up costing more RP, if you remove the matching bonus (by removing the items that do a matching bonus) of x2 and remove x2 RP events, you are effectively making the cost of refining 4x as expensive for the points needed to level it up. I understand the removal of the matching enchant is an argument of cost reduction, but I think the base points needed are still x4 more without the two double mechanism. I will go read technical details a bit closer, maybe I am wrong.

I would like to see some developers use F2P, no dev magic, start a new character and see how long it takes to get to max IL with no money input, then when you are done, feel free to change all the refinement things listed. Cya in a couple years.
    TR - Sun: 16000 IL
    OP - Sunshine: 16000 IL

Casual Dailies
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User

1)Why did you cut the RP necessary to upgrade something by 10 and at the same time cut the RP from refinement items by 10 too? I mean, the cost is the same in the end, so you just did that to deal with smaller numbers? That's it?

It needs to be manageable numbers for a currency tracker. Hundreds of millions isn't so good.

3)I mean, we have no more Power/Stability/Union farmed from Dread Ring neither Resonance from Heralds of Tiamat (Dragon Run) nor Thaumaturgic from Sharandar.

Yeah, they are definitely going to implement this change without replacing the existing rewards with an equivalent amount of the new stone types. :eyeroll:
    adinosii said:

Here is the issue... (fundamentally misunderstands the system)

The RP doesn't DROP as a currency. You can choose to crunch your account-bound or unbound items where you want, when you want.

You only have to use character-bound RP items on the character that got them, which is exactly the same as now.
    rathimar said:

I might have missed it in the all of the posts here, but will there be a maximum amount of RP a character can have on them at one time? Thanks noworries for answering as many of the posts as you have been.

This has not been answered, but knowing the actual cap would be nice.
    ravenskya said:

Previously if you ranked an enchant up from the 5's you pick up on the ground and used all coal wards you'd spend $70

Now it will be $140 per enchant to take it from 1-14

And all of us at rank 12's will have to invest another $20 per enchant

But why would anyone do this? I mean, I sometimes call them "frustration wards" (except I'm actually way too stubborn to give in to the frustration), but what kind of horrible-at-math person is going through the game going "doopty-doo, guess I'd better get a coal ward to upgrade this here rank 6 enchant, doopty-doo"? They may exist. They are not the norm.

If you want to make an argument about costs increasing, base it on reasonable scenarios.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • david#2060 david Member Posts: 78 Arc User
    Arf, should anyone think this twice before going ahead with it?

Cutting the uptaime of bondings its a real bad idea imo, its gonna break the flow of the battle and the fun of it.
    Thinking about when to cast the daily, when my def will be at 30k to get into tanking...impossible to foresee, not fun anymore but frustating.
    Please just maintain the 100% uptime, and lower the bonuses if needed, but dont give us such a headhache.

Regarding the refinieng points into currency, well, for us having alts active, we will keep storing items without breaking them into RP since we dont know in which alt we will use them in the future, so the inventory issue dont think tis fixed. At least, i hope there will be less different classes to items to store than now, for this matter.

• fns2005fns2005 Member Posts: 350 Arc User
    >Power, Stability, Union, Thaumaturgic, and Resonance Stones

These items will no longer drop when the update goes live, and where they would have dropped gemstones will drop instead.

Does this affect rewards from utility enchantments: dragon hoard, quartermaster, etc and wanderer's fortune so these will only proc gems? If so, how will these change and will tooltips be updated? Please advise.

Thank you
  • mebalz#9859 mebalz Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    >I Vote the week of September 12 no one plays neverwinter to protest this nerf on bonding stones
  • reallyreally#6973 reallyreally Member Posts: 1 New User
    You are not Ubisoft and no matter how much you want to be Ubisoft you'll never be Ubisoft
  • valnoledvalnoled Member Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited August 2017

Arf, should anyone think this twice before going ahead with it?

Cutting the uptaime of bondings its a real bad idea imo, its gonna break the flow of the battle and the fun of it.
    Thinking about when to cast the daily, when my def will be at 30k to get into tanking...impossible to foresee, not fun anymore but frustating.

Not to mention with a bad luck you'd be probably controlled when the buff goes on. That happens a lot in 12th module: frozen, kicked off, stoned, charmed, suppressed, shaken of roar
  • vincentr6669vincentr6669 Member Posts: 235 Arc User

1)Why did you cut the RP necessary to upgrade something by 10 and at the same time cut the RP from refinement items by 10 too? I mean, the cost is the same in the end, so you just did that to deal with smaller numbers? That's it?

It needs to be manageable numbers for a currency tracker. Hundreds of millions isn't so good.
    I see. This hypothesis crossed my mind (a guy with a bazillion refinement points on the inventory screen lol), but since i'm no expert in programming i wasn't really sure. Thanks for the information.

3)I mean, we have no more Power/Stability/Union farmed from Dread Ring neither Resonance from Heralds of Tiamat (Dragon Run) nor Thaumaturgic from Sharandar.

Yeah, they are definitely going to implement this change without replacing the existing rewards with an equivalent amount of the new stone types. :eyeroll:
    No need to be sarcastic with this "eyeroll" thing. If i'm asking is because the devs did not clarify enough. I can't read their minds or the future to know if they will really implement some equivalent gemstone that's why i'm worried. I saw the new Emerald gem on the other thread worth of 250 RP (the old 2500), so it will be nice if they put this on the place of Thaumaturgic Stones from Sharandar, Resonance from Underdark and Well of Dragons, Power/Stability/Union from Dread Ring, drops from Wanderer's Fortune, etc, but it would be truly overwhelming if they put peridots instead or if this Emerald has a low drop rate compared to the Lesser Stones we get nowadays.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    Believe it or not, the Sharandar and Dread Ring quests award fixed quantities of RP, though the exact denominations of stones are variable. This is easy to convert to new values. So is anything like HE rewards where there's a fixed reward like one rank 5 enchant (though there also appears to be little reason to change most HE rewards as long as they don't give obsolete items).

Other areas where RP is randomized, such as HE rewards that grant resonance stones of variable quality (or potentially none), would have to be converted to use the new stones, in equivalent values. That's a little more complicated but I'd expect to see the replacement as a chance at peridots and also some higher value stones, not peridots across the board.

There are other things I would like to know, like what the coffer credit values of these stones will look like for SH Gems requirements.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • robochuckieownzrobochuckieownz Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Will you ever listen to the people? Yall are seriously trying to kill the game with <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> like this, it blows my mind how little cryptic seems to care about it's long term players. FIX YOUR CURRENT PROBLEMS FIRST BEFORE ADDING BROKEN IDEAS!