Install Arc
Options

Official Feedback Thread: Refining Refinement

1161718192022»

Comments

• Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited November 2017
    It's been my opinion that way too many things are bound to character anyway, a recent example is during the most recent Masquerade of Liars event I had some characters who had multiple temporary masks - bound to character - and some characters who I played just as often who had none... and at the end, those temporary masks which were bound to character couldn't be traded, auctioned or given away, they could only be tossed or sold for a few coppers to a vendor.

On the Refining Points issue: There has been a modification to allow Trade Bars as well as coins to be collectively accumulated in the shared bank accounts...

How nice would it be to be able to deposit Refining Points in the shared bank accounts also and any character in that account who needed refining points for something could just visit their bank and use them...

The characters on the same account who don't need the refining points can still deposit Refining Points for the characters on the account who do, it would probably even encourage some players who haven't, to purchase more character slots. Currently we can do something like that with some of the crystals we accumulate, but there are many more items, like many of the drops we get for invoking, that are bound to character and not transferable, or able to be auctioned. It's kind of like the Masquerade of Liars temporary masks issue all over again.
    DD~
  • Options
    noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer
    dionchi said:

It's been my opinion that way too many things are bound to character anyway, a recent example is during the most recent Masquerade of Liars event I had some characters who had multiple temporary masks - bound to character - and some characters who I played just as often who had none... and at the end, those temporary masks which were bound to character couldn't be traded, auctioned or given away, they could only be tossed or sold for a few coppers to a vendor.

On the Refining Points issue: There has been a modification to allow Trade Bars as well as coins to be collectively accumulated in the shared bank accounts...

How nice would it be to be able to deposit Refining Points in the shared bank accounts also and any character in that account who needed refining points for something could just visit their bank and use them...

The characters on the same account who don't need the refining points can still deposit Refining Points for the characters on the account who do, it would probably even encourage some players who haven't, to purchase more character slots. Currently we can do something like that with some of the crystals we accumulate, but there are many more items, like many of the drops we get for invoking, that are bound to character and not transferable, or able to be auctioned. It's kind of like the Masquerade of Liars temporary masks issue all over again.

As an idea, we like having a refinement points section of the shared bank so that a player can move RP around their characters.

The issue is that we do have bound sources of RP and we don't want to create a situation where either players feel they need to have 50 alts to invoke each day to maximize their RP gains, or to exploit any given source of bound RP to gain it that much faster. Because of this we'd have to figure out changes to made to these different sources, and that can be tricky such as players likely don't want to have the invocation to stop giving RP.

Overall we want to get everything in a place where we feel we can safely switch RP over to being added to the bank, we just aren't there yet.

As to why there are things bound to character at all, most of the time it is to prevent abuse of those items like I mentioned above. If there is something that is easy to get, maybe something players get on their character just because an event started, and what we don't want happening is a player making new characters over and over to keep claiming the reward and handing it to their main, or flooding the AH with something unbound. Those are the main places where we define something as BtC, which is a flag we use rarely these days.
  • Options
    casey#2467 casey Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    Scrap bound character and make more bound account. If I spend $200.00 USD and get 23,000 zen I should be able to use any non class specific item on any of my toons including mounts that I get from chests or buying from the zen market. Also everything that is currency should be able to be banked and used by any toon owned by the same account. (Like refinig points). And anything bought with real money (Zen) should be fully unbound and tradeable.
  • Options
    hustin1hustin1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,460 Arc User
    One thing I'd like to point out: if there is to be a shared bank RP area, please make sure that if there is a cap, that it's made clear to players and is a real cap that will prevent depositing. I once lost >4000 trade bars because there was a silent 10k cap in the shared bank, and it simply ate anything I deposited after that. Oh, for that matter, is that (bugged) cap still there? Will it eat tradebars deposited if it is at the cap?
    Harper Chronicles: Cap Snatchers (RELEASED) - NW-DPUTABC6X
    Blood Magic (RELEASED) - NW-DUU2P7HCO
    Children of the Fey (RELEASED) - NW-DKSSAPFPF
    Buried Under Blacklake (WIP) - NW-DEDV2PAEP
    The Redcap Rebels (WIP) - NW-DO23AFHFH
    My Foundry playthrough channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/Ruskaga/featured
  • Options
    minotaur2857minotaur2857 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,141 Arc User

dionchi said:

As an idea, we like having a refinement points section of the shared bank so that a player can move RP around their characters.

The issue is that we do have bound sources of RP and we don't want to create a situation where either players feel they need to have 50 alts to invoke each day to maximize their RP gains, or to exploit any given source of bound RP to gain it that much faster. Because of this we'd have to figure out changes to made to these different sources, and that can be tricky such as players likely don't want to have the invocation to stop giving RP.

Overall we want to get everything in a place where we feel we can safely switch RP over to being added to the bank, we just aren't there yet.

As to why there are things bound to character at all, most of the time it is to prevent abuse of those items like I mentioned above. If there is something that is easy to get, maybe something players get on their character just because an event started, and what we don't want happening is a player making new characters over and over to keep claiming the reward and handing it to their main, or flooding the AH with something unbound. Those are the main places where we define something as BtC, which is a flag we use rarely these days.
    None of which justifies why companion upgrade tokens can't be effectively bound account (transferred like tradebars).

Also it's a matter of RNGsus whether you get all your charbound forgehammers of gond from the winter event on one character or spread about, at least make that sort of thing bound account.

RP is more awkward, and I can see why some of it is charbound, but even that is merely an inconvenience, you can simply shift an enchantment to that character, refine it and then give it back to the character it belongs to so the restriction doesn't really work anyway.

• Options
    dionchidionchi Member Posts: 919 Arc User
    edited November 2017

None of which justifies why companion upgrade tokens can't be effectively bound account (transferred like tradebars).

Also it's a matter of RNGsus whether you get all your charbound forgehammers of gond from the winter event on one character or spread about, at least make that sort of thing bound account.

RP is more awkward, and I can see why some of it is charbound, but even that is merely an inconvenience, you can simply shift an enchantment to that character, refine it and then give it back to the character it belongs to so the restriction doesn't really work anyway.

As I already said, I believe too many items are (unnecessarily) bound to character, another example would be the last Winter Festival where some people recieved multiple items (mounts for example) which were bound to character... You couldn't equip more than one, you couldn't sell, auction or trade it and for a while you couldn't even remove it from your inventory, fortunately they quickly fixed that last one.

I believe the bound RP thing is more than a mere "inconvience", yes a person could simply shift enchantments, artifacts or whatever to another character and refine it and trade it back... that is unless those enchantments or particularly artifacts are bound to character then as I said, it is more than just an inconvenience it becomes impossibile.

dionchi said:

Not too long ago Neverwinter was pushing for players to purchase character slots and I suppose they still are to some extent, there is nothing wrong with 50 character slots and 50 alternate characters and just because someone does that doesn't mean a person is compelled to play or invoke every one of them every time they sign on (I myself have 50 character slots and speak from personal experience), it's a choice everyone is free to make for themselves. Will some players try to exploit having 50 characters and Bound to Account instead of Bound to Character refinement stones, of course there will be, there will always be those who attempt to exploit whatever they can, but for the people who just want to play, refine their personal items or maybe a few thing to auction, which I believe (maybe naively) to be the majority, I think this would be a tremendous boon.

To handle the problem of people running content over and over again to flood the auction house with items they pick up during events - make things Bound to Account - not Bound to Character... problem solved.

As for things not bound to account or character, the usual effect of a market being flooded with surplus items in the real world, and I suspect Neverwinter's Auction House, is more often than not to drive down prices... is that really such a bad thing?
    DD~
  • Options
    micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited November 2017

dionchi said:

There is no difference, I can invoke, and move the enchantment via the shared bank, refine it, upgrade it, repeat.
    Sorry, but I don't buy "player have to". those that invoke, invoke, those that don't don't. Please no need to nerf the invoke bonus from that (And I don't even invoke for the RP, only the first). Just speaking from past expiriance.

And if it goes towards account transferable, why just not make it account wide. It will take less database space, and will just be more streamlined.
  • Options
    dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited November 2017

I agree that having BtC sources of RP makes things tricky, and I imagine any solution that switches those sources to BtA or unbound would likely also come with a reduction which would make players grumblegrumble.

Here is an idea that sidesteps the issue:

Create an RP bank that you are only allowed to withdraw from. When you convert unbound or BtA items, they automatically get added into the shared RP bank. If you convert BtC items, they instead go directly to that character's individual RP reserve.

Then make both the shared bank RP and character's individual RP accessible from the refining window, and default to always spending character's individual RP first. It's not even necessary to give the option of spending shared bank RP first, because there would literally never be a reason to do that.

That way you can still have individual BtC RP, but the process of "moving RP between characters" has become automatic and abstracted behind the shared RP bank.
  • Options
    oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    dupeks said:

Here is an idea that sidesteps the issue:

Create an RP bank that you are only allowed to withdraw from. When you convert unbound or BtA items, they automatically get added into the shared RP bank. If you convert BtC items, they instead go directly to that character's individual RP reserve.

Then make both the shared bank RP and character's individual RP accessible from the refining window, and default to always spending character's individual RP first. It's not even necessary to give the option of spending shared bank RP first, because there would literally never be a reason to do that.

That way you can still have individual BtC RP, but the process of "moving RP between characters" has become automatic and abstracted behind the shared RP bank.

I like this. Alternatively, just create an account wide stored currencies section of the inventory, similar in function to the shared bank. Put Gold, ZEN, AD, Tradebars, Voninblood, Unbound RP, and Black Ice in there. Sure, I could see the argument made that sometimes not everyone wants all characters having this due to multiple people using the same account, but thats against the rules anyways.

If you really want to give us an early Christmas present...put the Campaign currencies in there too..... :):):):)
  • Options
    eldeskaleldeskal Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited November 2017

The issue is that we do have bound sources of RP and we don't want to create a situation where either players feel they need to have 50 alts to invoke each day to maximize their RP gains, or to exploit any given source of bound RP to gain it that much faster.

In my experience, getting RP has never been an issue. Getting the wards and reagents is the effective gate to upgrading, and with the wards being a real-money item, they are immune to hyper-inflation. So in that sense, letting players accumulate vast amounts of RP, and/or transferring it between alts, really shouldn't increase the rate at which people reach BiS. There is still a fixed amount of real dollars that have to enter the economy for each R14 enchant, teal artifact, etc.

Allowing players to sell RP/RP items on the auction house could cause hyper-inflation for RP items. So, having bound sources of RP prevents the AH issue, but once conversion to RP currency has occurred, transferring between accounts really shouldn't have an impact.

So, a solution might be to make all stackable RP items that are not tied to a real-money source BOA. (Stackable is important, because no human will take the time to put green eq on the AH, nor to buy the thousands of them required to make a difference)
    All real-money sources of RP items can then remain unbound.

You could even add some automatic economy-management functions in-game as well. For example, dungeons could have a 'chance' to drop unbound RP items, but that chance can keep internal state to make sure it doesn't exceed a daily threshold of AD flowing into the economy. That chance can even be varied by the amount of outstanding AD in the game...i.e., the AD sources (in this case, sellable RP) adjust to the rate of consumption at the AD sinks (i.e., using unbound RP to refine an item). If all players spend their AD, the game produces more; if everyone holds it, then the Zen-exchange prices start to go up.

Just a thought your comment sparked.

• Options
    jaime4312#3760 jaime4312 Member Posts: 844 Arc User
    @noworries#8859

When announcing this new refinement system it was stated that it didn't seem right that players stacked rp for months only to use it on x2 rp events, they usually didn't upgrade items outside of that as it wouldn't be a efficient thing to do.

You see, the problem remains largely the same, in order to get the most out of refinement people no longer wait for x2 rp, now they do wait for x2 events that make them get more enchanting stones, peridots etc. Could you consider making professions bags and overall refinement x2 as much as it does now and remove those x2 events? This way players no longer need to wait to get the most out of their refinement items and anytime, as long as there's enough refinement, it is always optimal to refine things.
  • Options
    demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    > @frozenfirevr said:
    > Is there going to be a cap on RP?

There is a CAp on rp
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • Options
    frozenfirevrfrozenfirevr Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,475 Community Moderator

> @frozenfirevr said:

> Is there going to be a cap on RP?

There is a CAp on rp

Heh... Well, you're a little late on this :p
    FrozenFire
  • Options
    theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User

@noworries#8859

When announcing this new refinement system it was stated that it didn't seem right that players stacked rp for months only to use it on x2 rp events, they usually didn't upgrade items outside of that as it wouldn't be a efficient thing to do.

You see, the problem remains largely the same, in order to get the most out of refinement people no longer wait for x2 rp, now they do wait for x2 events that make them get more enchanting stones, peridots etc. Could you consider making professions bags and overall refinement x2 as much as it does now and remove those x2 events? This way players no longer need to wait to get the most out of their refinement items and anytime, as long as there's enough refinement, it is always optimal to refine things.

I'm definitely against this. Removing double refinement and streamlining the RP was for the greater good, because beforehand you did not convert any RP, got basically stuck.

The double ench/stone just makes out a little from the prof. bags, (the broken as hell even without double-dipping) Quartermasters and that 3 source that you can open with your enchanted key. I nullified myself after the last double enchant and now I'm over 300k ref. point without using up any of those (but, for honesty, I'm even taking up the green gear+id. scrolls if not in a dungeon, so I'm kind of overdoing it).

In the part of Quartermaster and leadership stuff, the problem is not the doubling, they are the problem. The QM still obliterates every other utility enchantment, by far and for some obscure reason, it's the only one that can be piled up for hundreds of spoils to get twice the value (while the Fey's blessing does not even picks itself up automatically). The leadership is kind of worse in "game" aspect. I think the whole system needs a full redo, because it's not fun to delve down into the clickmine just to be timegated until the next 2-8 hours and redo. I have not seen this unsatisfying profession system in any game. It feels like you are not even playing a game, when doing profs. While I'm against botting, not suprised that it gets botted to a brutal extent. It's just not designed for humans.

And for the enchantment/comp and equipment packs, double enchant gives a little more out of them and I like that you can almost freely get a ton of comp tokens if you used your money wisely on comp packs.

While I can agree, that the new double ench/stone went a little overboard with the double marks and double stones, I'm definitely against obliterating it to preserve things that in my opinion are more of a trouble. I have not seen so many channels pushing tong/msva in any other time except double enchant and a lot of people got the legendary marks for the relic weapons at that time (as I heard).
  • Options
    anguskartanguskart Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    As a newer player, Im finding it impossible to accrue any marks or enchantment stones at all. Its worse than it was before, as I used to get rank 5s as drops all the time. Now all I get is gems, but no marks or enchantment stones to upgrade anything.

Wherever enchantments used to drop, you should now drop not just gems, but a chance at the marks/enchant stones as well. Otherwise its a net loss to the players who still need those lower rank enchantments.
  • Options
    haden42eehaden42ee Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 62 Arc User
    You should be running non-epic random dungeons daily, receiving lots of Seals of Adventurer. Vendor has all the regular rank 5's listed for 100 seals each. Icewind Dale still drops Black Ice rank 5 and Well of Dragons rewards Draconic enchantments.
  • Options
    obsidiancran3obsidiancran3 Member Posts: 1,823 Arc User
    During play test we looked at the RP event, we gave feedback that the rewards were poor, things were improved a little to make the rewards better.

Now on live the rewards are worse than they were originally on play test....

Would someone like to explain?
    Obsidian Moonlight - Paladin
    Obsidian Oath - Warlock
    A whole lot of other Obsidian toons as well.
  • Options
    erikthered#8452 erikthered Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited December 2017
    hi I have a question did you guys change weather or not heart of the dragon artifacts can be used as a feeder or not. and if so does it have to be legendary. basicly I am wondering due to the fact that I was able to role my legendary version of the green one into another artifact last night. but when my wife tried to do it with her epic version it did not show up in her inventory there for she was not able to.
  • Options
    preechr#2215 preechr Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    The red one has always been unable to be refined, well, at least since it was being given out in the Dragonborn Pack

It says so in the tool tip
  • Options
    grandbishoprixgrandbishoprix Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 13 Arc User
    i like the idea of the new refinement system and i like to have some input advice to improve this a bit further but it is time consuming to individually to convert refinement and there is a need to make this faster to refine those refinements items more efficiently and hopefully that it will be soon and i know as of now the ps4 and xbox has the update and i like to see that all 3 clients including pc gets it very soon and thank in advace
  • Options
    gromovnipljesak#8234 gromovnipljesak Member Posts: 1,053 Arc User

i like the idea of the new refinement system and i like to have some input advice to improve this a bit further but it is time consuming to individually to convert refinement and there is a need to make this faster to refine those refinements items more efficiently and hopefully that it will be soon and i know as of now the ps4 and xbox has the update and i like to see that all 3 clients including pc gets it very soon and thank in advace

There already is a way. On PC you gotta click on the cog on the bottom right corner of inventory window and click "Convert refinement points".
  • Options
    zeroscarlett#9233 zeroscarlett Member Posts: 41 Arc User
    So unidentified level 70 equipment after being identified can't be converted to rp on Xbox?
  • Options
    brewaldbrewald Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 212 Arc User
    Hi @noworries#8859

Mastercraft item can't be transmut for RP (like sphene rings....), they can be only sold for 1 po.

Can you do something on this way for mod 13 or 13B?

Thx,
    Brew.
    Brewald - GWF 18.3k
    Eleonore - CW Mof Renegade 17.5k
    Harlgard le Vieux - OP Prot 18.3k
    Valrik - DC AC 18.2k
    Furiela - SW Temp 18.1k