test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you want Strongholds to receive a 5th Boon Structure slot?

Comments

• wintermurlocwintermurloc Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    Not at all, we're good with what we got.
    There are 6 structures and this has nothing to do with making 20 million ad as you say.. you are asking to unlock 5 and leave 1 out for your convenience.. the effort to upgrade the structures is no mere feat.. and if ppl are going to call me crazy .. I personally don't care.
  • niadanniadan Member Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    YES! YES!! YES!!!

I don't know if my vote has registered since I'm viewing this from my cell phone, but I'm going with a "no"on this simply because I don't understand the need for another plot. This thread lost all traction from my view point when it asked for only 1 more boon plot. Asterdahl clearly stated the rationale behind why only 4 plots are available and also mentioned with enough voice this may at some point be taken into consideration. Now why I'm against this is because if you totally wanted the benefit to help everyone by having the option available then you would have asked for every boon slot to be available and not just 1. Most of us know which boon options are contested but as a lot stated in this thread this is only in your perspective. I would happily give my vote in your support if you asked to unlock every boon structure but asking for just 1 to suit your needs is not something I would consider as in the best interest for all.

I am all for opening up enough boon plots for all the possible boons. With that said, anything more than what we currently have would be greatly appreciated.

@asterdahl

As for the original intent to "create some friction, deliberation and community back-and-forth making guilds have to decide what they want to build"....think of it this way....

If we had the ability to build more structures, then we would have to decide how "high" to go with more structures and when, thus we would have the "deliberation" that you are looking for, while still giving non game balance affecting choice.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • sobacsobac Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 434 Arc User
    YES! YES!! YES!!!

There are 6 structures and this has nothing to do with making 20 million ad as you say.. you are asking to unlock 5 and leave 1 out for your convenience.. the effort to upgrade the structures is no mere feat.. and if ppl are going to call me crazy .. I personally don't care.

7 if i recall it correctly, that's why OP asked for only 1 more. I, personally, would prefer them all too, no brainer here :D Actually, i don't understand why it wasn't like that since the beginning: you can only have 1 active boon of each type and lvl them up cost millions and huge effort.
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    niadan said:

Balance has nothing to do with this poll. This is not a win or loose issue. This is not a guild vs guild issue. This is a non game balance affecting choice issue. I still have yet to hear a reasonable arguement against adding another boon plot, especially from players that are not in guilds.

Normally, I would have no objection to guilds getting an extra boon slot, though I do also see the argument to have to make meaningful decisions as a guild. However, until and unless there is a fair, alternate way for non-guilders to make up at least some of that ground, adding a 5th boon slot is akin the mafia tossing someone in the river with concrete shoes, then saying "Ya know what? Tying an extra cinder block around their neck would be a lot fun and give us something more to do! They're doomed anyway, what would be the harm in it?" It just comes across as being mean.

I suppose one could argue about whether that constitutes a "reasonable argument" or not, or argue that that's why you should just join the mafia in the first place, but it's still a reason.
    edited April 2017
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    Lol
    Never thought of our guild as the Mob. Though I could see @kolatmaster stating "...say hello to my little friend" right before engaging in a boss fight.
    Post edited by niadan on
    Hehe, at least I didn't use my pvp analogy, comparing guilds to prison gangs. :grin:
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    Maybe it is different in other "cartels", but in our little "association" our made men and women took our jobs very seriously without being "ordered" to do so. I guess our gang is a little more relaxed than some you may have been associated with.
    I'm sure most members of "cartels" are enthusiastic participants. :wink:

The analogies are more from the perspective of an outsider that would rather not be involved but are forced to coexist with them anyway.

In the mafia analogy, you can join or play along with the mafia, or you can choose not to and be constantly outmaneuvered and overwhelmed (boons, overloads, etc.) by their organization, being denied jobs (dungeon runs), contracts (parties), and other money-making opportunities (masterworks). You might even get your store burned down (aka chat banned) if you mouth off to the wrong, connected person. Hopefully you have insurance (customer support).

In the pvp prison gang analogy, you can either join a gang, or you can be hamstered (pre-maded, yes I'm making it a verb), hamstered (overload drained), or just hamstered (out-booned) on a daily basis by those who are in a gang. The only way out is to either be the absolute toughest kid on the cell-block, or sign up with whatever prison gang you find the least reprehensible that will have you.

The common thread is you are being coerced by threat of force (either passively or actively) into joining or allying with an organization when you don't want to, otherwise you will be made to suffer.
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    Oh, I should have guessed you were speaking from a PVP perspective. I am in a predominantly PVE guild.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    Sorry about the a bit off topic, but while I understand not all player wish to be in a guild, or socialize, etc...
    I find the complaints that the game doesn't facilitate this strange. It's like signing up to participate in the Olympics (The original variant) and then complain you need to run, or throw a spear.

I couldn't think of a better analogy, for now, but I hope the idea is clear. This is a social game, and there are guilds of every verity, and every concept. With demands, without demands, with themes, languages, time zones, etc.. Hundreds of those, and tenths at very high rank. I'm sure anyone who actually seeks can find something compatible. And those that do not want to, as I've said, it's strange request, there are great single player games out there. I can highly recommend some (no sarcasm, playing ME:A right now). But you signed up for this experience...

About choices: Having more plots doesn't allow people to have more boons, it just moves the choice from the guild level to the personal level after immense effort and contribution. And yet I think people forget that this is a game. Not real life. Nor a real like emulator. While in real most of us can't have it all, and we are bound by choices, it doesn't mean that our source of entertainment should be as miserable or as ridden with choices and "pick the lesser evil" (I hope the point is clear).

There is a difference between verity and choices which are great, to contention and unhappy players.
    Lets leave contention to the forums and other venues, but not the game itself...
    niadan said:

Oh, I should have guessed you were speaking from a PVP perspective. I am in a predominantly PVE guild.

Unless you're just trying to be dismissive, I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion, given that only a third of what I wrote had anything to do with pvp. I haven't pvped much in well over a year. Before that it was only a minor part of my activity. I've always been mostly pve. I wouldn't mind getting back into pvp, but lack of solo-queue is what's stopping that.
    micky1p00 said:

Sorry about the a bit off topic, but while I understand not all player wish to be in a guild, or socialize, etc...
    I find the complaints that the game doesn't facilitate this strange. It's like signing up to participate in the Olympics (The original variant) and then complain you need to run, or throw a spear.

I couldn't think of a better analogy, for now, but I hope the idea is clear. This is a social game, and there are guilds of every verity, and every concept. With demands, without demands, with themes, languages, time zones, etc.. Hundreds of those, and tenths at very high rank. I'm sure anyone who actually seeks can find something compatible. And those that do not want to, as I've said, it's strange request, there are great single player games out there. I can highly recommend some (no sarcasm, playing ME:A right now). But you signed up for this experience...

About choices: Having more plots doesn't allow people to have more boons, it just moves the choice from the guild level to the personal level after immense effort and contribution. And yet I think people forget that this is a game. Not real life. Nor a real like emulator. While in real most of us can't have it all, and we are bound by choices, it doesn't mean that our source of entertainment should be as miserable or as ridden with choices and "pick the lesser evil" (I hope the point is clear).

There is a difference between verity and choices which are great, to contention and unhappy players.
    Lets leave contention to the forums and other venues, but not the game itself...

But I didn't sign up for this experience. A whole bunch of people didn't sign up for this experience. This game started out as extremely solo friendly and extremely "guilds optional". That, and the D&D IP were the two main reasons I got started here. I stayed because it was fun. With Mod 7, I and a whole lot of other people got the rug pulled out from under us. Some left, some stuck it out, and some went along with it. Some of those people (hopefully most of them) were even glad they did. Good for them. Believe you me, I have a whole library of single-player games, enough to probably last me the rest of my life (luckily I still like older games), but I still have fun here so I stick around. Well, fun mixed with sunk-cost fallacy. :wink:

I know adding a boon plot doesn't increase total power level. It just comes across as people who already have everything, and are a few weeks from getting a whole bunch more, just wanting EVEN MOAR. Meanwhile, everyone else still gets nothing. As I've said elsewhere though, I don't begrudge anyone what they have, you worked for it, you should have it. I begrudge Cryptic for creating the situation and continuing to deepen the divide with no relief in sight.
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    pterias said:

But I didn't sign up for this experience. A whole bunch of people didn't sign up for this experience. This game started out as extremely solo friendly and extremely "guilds optional". That, and the D&D IP were the two main reasons I got started here. I stayed because it was fun. With Mod 7, I and a whole lot of other people got the rug pulled out from under us. Some left, some stuck it out, and some went along with it. Some of those people (hopefully most of them) were even glad they did. Good for them. Believe you me, I have a whole library of single-player games, enough to probably last me the rest of my life (luckily I still like older games), but I still have fun here so I stick around. Well, fun mixed with sunk-cost fallacy. :wink:

I know adding a boon plot doesn't increase total power level. It just comes across as people who already have everything, and are a few weeks from getting a whole bunch more, just wanting EVEN MOAR. Meanwhile, everyone else still gets nothing. As I've said elsewhere though, I don't begrudge anyone what they have, you worked for it, you should have it. I begrudge Cryptic for creating the situation and continuing to deepen the divide with no relief in sight.

I don't see how the game was ever solo friendly. It was always advertised as an MMO and more so, from mod0 to get the end game gear (t1,t2) at the time, you had to do group content (those t1,t2 dungeons) and later, it was MC, and VT added where again the gear came from seals and drops, but both ultimately came from queued group content.
    And the queue system + lfg are the most unwelcoming places, which encourages a plethora of guilds, and custom channels (like for example /legit 3 years ago, a lot of water under the bridge...).
    But bottom line, it was not a solo game from day one. Even the leveling portions had dungeons and skirmishes embedded into them as part of the leveling process (though many skipped those).

Guilds were optional in the sense that custom channels covered that part. But in practice there is not difference. You must have a social circle of some type to play the end-game, or you will be stuck in frustration and misery (usually named as pugging). And at the end, it's also not solo.

Edit:

And just to add to the previous post. There are plenty of guilds that do not require anything, some made specifically with solo players in mind, like "The SOLO Alliance" I think. With the whole Idea of send them a mail for invite and that's it, no more interaction.
    So if a person can forum post, I think it's acceptable to PM or mail and get the boons like others. It's up to Cryptic's numbers to decide if they want to cater for a niche group that is 'anti' MMO. Though I don't see why they should...
    Post edited by micky1p00 on
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    @micky1p00
    " not all player wish to be in a guild, or socialize, etc... You must have a social circle."
    False equivalency:
    Social= guild
    Antisocial=not guild
    False.
    Many of us are very social without a guild.

Like many mercs, I fly Ronin by choice.
    I brush off a dozen guild invites per day. Choice.
    (We mercs make more AD solo selling SH supplies to your guilds the any guild member can tied to one guild).
    It's a trade off. I miss the boons, but stack mad cheddar.

But Antisocial? Pffft.
    My friend list is full of active players, my toons are rock-hard, in high demand and my dance card is always full, cousin.
    That sound Antisocial to you?
    So drop the generalities and divisiveness.

As for this poll... meh whatevs.
    Half my friends are in Guilds. They worked hard to earn their boons, so no resentment here. GodBless. Enjoy them. But they don't need Moooar.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
    @micky1p00

I deliberately didn't say it was a "solo game", I said it was extremely solo friendly. Regardless, you cannot deny that Mod 7 (primarily boons) was a DRAMATIC change to that dynamic. We're not going to see eye to eye on "soloing" though, nor on joining guilds, and that's fine. In fact, I would say that speaks volumes to a larger point. But back on topic, there's not just an imbalance with solo players. Small, casual, and/or low level guilds are functionally shut out as well unless they want to just sell out their buddies and go in for a big guild.

However, I didn't come in here to "fight the good fight" against guilds. That ship has long sailed. Niadan said non-guilders had not provided any reasonable arguments against SHs getting another boon plot, so I decided to try. Whether I successfully did that or not is not for me to decide, but hopefully I provided a different, less visible viewpoint for others to consider.

As for whether Cryptic will ever do anything about it, I'm pretty sure your throne is secure. I'm just over here day-dreaming...
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    @dread4moor @pterias

"Because I don't want guilds to have more (or moar)" Sounds like a perfectly reasoned argument against more (moar) choice. I stand defeated, and bow to your rock hard peeps in respect.
  • kolatmasterkolatmaster Member Posts: 3,111 Arc User
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    Greetings all!

Just wanted to chime in to address some of the concerns I've seen from the "Not at all, we're good with what we got." crew...

Basically, my counter point(s) is pretty simple and that is this in no way, shape or form impacts anyone in a negative manner. In fact, I believe, it is a Quality of Life Change long overdue with Strongholds. As the limitations on the Guild choices, particularly for ones towards the end of the SH grind, is creating completely unneeded conflict in the game.

It truly is a 'No Lose" scenario for all involved.. Guilds who would want to utilize an extra Boon Structure plot can use it and those who don't simply won't. It really is a win!

Heck, and I know I may be flamed by some players for suggesting the following, but I could see this being a service in the Zen Store if the Devs wanted it to be. I would personally be fine with purchasing said extra Boon Plot for my Guild! :)

Really, let the current availability be the base, and add in customization features to the Strongholds for extra Boon Structure plots, etc. Just like extra character slots.

You hear that Devs? @nitocris83 @mimicking#6533 @asterdahl For getting extra Boon Structure plots available in the Stronghold you can...

va8Ru.gif
    edited April 2017
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    Sensible idea...Pay for Choice. I would throw my wallet at that as well.

Makes perfect sense.

Others would still call it Pay to Win.

Makes no sense.

@kolatmaster now I know where you have been hiding all those extra coffer donations after we maxed out our guild.
    Post edited by niadan on
  • eliybeatseliybeats Member Posts: 186 Arc User
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    Worst case scenario I'm down for the idea too. There has to be some form of choice available. If it must be pay to get I'm down for that if it's reasonable.
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    @kolatmaster For sure is a no one lose situation, except that I do not want to grind more guild resources for a while :D:D:D

By the way, I do not have any problem either if it's a Zen purchase or a free/farm one.
    For anyone that would say that would by pay to win, unless I'm wrong, every resource needed on for the Stronghold can by bought with real money, so...

Conclusion, any number of additional plot (either paid or farmed) is fine for everyone as a global, but individually some of us do not want to farm more for a while.
  • lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Lol, what if you are in a guild with 3 active ppl and have no hope of getting a 5th boon (or maybe even a 1st boon) ???
  • nisckisnisckis Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 655 Arc User
    lantern22 said:

Lol, what if you are in a guild with 3 active ppl and have no hope of getting a 5th boon (or maybe even a 1st boon) ???

That you lose nothing neither as player nor as a guild.
  • checkmatein3checkmatein3 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 525 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    I voted yes, but not a yes, yes, yes.

First, the devs seem committed to providing expansions to Strongholds in the next mod and in the future. With alliances, the ability to stuff the coffer of others is still determined by the other guilds' settings. Yes, there are multiple plots available apart from boon structures, but most are related to the very dead Stronghold PvP mechanism. So, adding another boon structure would keep a means of stuffing the coffer in one's own guild.

Second, there are catchup mechanisms with vouchers and influence coming next mod, and lots of things purchased with marks.

Third, take away some of those useless PvP only plots and convert them to open plots (where the guild can build anything other than market or GH: boon structure, resource plot, support plot). Then, guilds that dont want to PvP wont have to be forced to make the choice. Guilds that want to PvP in SH will have to choose wisely.

Fourth, most guild near max that have not taken the explorer boon have setup a means to get access to it, via the alliance, or via a secondary alt guild. Here is an idea: with the expansion of Masterworks for both Guild Hall decorating, having the explorer boon is a great way to provide income for the guild. And it prevents the headache of creating alt guilds, moving characters around, and wasting resources to build a rank 12 SH. This would also help alliance, because ranking a 5th Explorer up to rank 6 only would then divert those resources back to other alliance members more quickly.

Fifth, since the PvP boon is a support plot, it does not enter into the discussion. The request is not to expand the number of boons a character can select at one time. Adding a 5th boon plot based on the current boon options will not provide a huge increase in one character's power. What adding a 5th boon plot will do is provide OPTIONS for players to build as they like, without sacrificing the explorer boon and the income it multiplies. And it puts all guilds on a level field, since all guilds have the potential to get any combination of boons the majority of players want.

Sixth, if there is to be an SH expansion (which I was hoping for in mod 11b, or maybe in mod 12 or 13), up to rank 25, maybe a 5th boon structure could more naturally fit in... But I digress...

So, I vote yes, but its a ho-hum yes.

LEVIATHAN--19.3k Metallic Dragonborn Guardian Fighter Swordmaster Loadouts

Guild--And the Imaginary Friends

YES! YES!! YES!!!
    kalindra said:

No, because:

kalindra said:

- Guild Boons already has too much influence in normal gameplay

I'll use someone elses quote to answer this...

The request is not to expand the number of boons a character can select at one time. Adding a 5th boon plot based on the current boon options will not provide a huge increase in one character's power. What adding a 5th boon plot will do is provide OPTIONS for players to build as they like, without sacrificing the explorer boon and the income it multiplies. And it puts all guilds on a level field, since all guilds have the potential to get any combination of boons the majority of players want.

^^^ Thanks @checkmatein3 for the wise words! :)
    kalindra said:

- Guild Boons already greatly messes up PvP
    allowing more guilds and their players boons they couldn't get before would only worsen this problems.

PvP is a whole different animal, IMO, and it requires a great deal of focus by the Devs. While I don't disagree that Guild Boons heavily impact PvP, this Poll is about expanding the options for players and improving the quality of life they have. Whereas the PvP debate is completely separate, and I really don't see how this directly impacts PvP in a negative manner.
    kalindra said:

- the struggle to gather the resources and build these guilds structures puts pressure on the members to grind on one more front,

That's on the GLs, and members, of each Guild. Personally, I've grinded my HAMSTER off collecting resources for our Stronghold, and there are members of my Guild who put my pretty solid efforts to shame! The grind is part and parcel with the nature of the game, no escaping it. At this point, I'd like something to grind for that is beneficial to the Guild since we are at Level 20, as it creates a sense of communal achievement for all involved...

kalindra said:

but this game already has way to much grind.

va8Ru.gif
  • litaaerslitaaers Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 871 Arc User
    Just curious.... how come it 'wise words' when they agree, and snark and memes when they don't?

Serious. Not sure if you've noticed.
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    litaaers said:

Just curious.... how come it 'wise words' when they agree, and snark and memes when they don't?

Serious. Not sure if you've noticed.

Well the wise words comment was because @checkmatein3 wrote it out really well, and I wanted to give him credit where credit was due... :)

And I responded to w/more then just .gifs to two of the points, but hey, it's just the way I roll!

va8Ru.gif
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    nisckis said:

lantern22 said:

That you lose nothing neither as player nor as a guild.
    This is true. One step at a time.

I have no strong rationale to want a fifth boon plot as we are still working towards filling the second. But, I have no strong rationale to feel that others should not have the option, if they're in a position to do so. Therefore, I have cast a vote in the positive (a soft yes, recall), rather than refraining from voting (which is probably the true moderate's stance here).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User
    edited April 2017
    YES! YES!! YES!!!
    > @litaaers said:
    > Just curious.... how come it 'wise words' when they agree, and snark and memes when they don't?
    >
    > Serious. Not sure if you've noticed.

Well to be fair Kalindra's posts are by and large fueled by ignorance and filled with misinformation.

Not sure why you'd expect someone to be anything other than snarky when responding to posts like that.
    I8r4ux9.jpg