Install Arc
Options

Do you like Fishing

Comments

• Options
    guille23mxguille23mx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 340 Arc User
    No I dont, I never want to see it again
    kreatyve said:

Most of my guild has stated that they enjoy fishing. A few of them don't. Personally, if you don't like it - you can skip it by buying a bunch of the map in a bottle and just going treasure hunting. You get fish from the treasure chest, so really there is not much reason at all to fish if you hate it that much.

You guys Moderators should'nt participate.
    Its Obvious your should like it as Cryptic is paying your bills... i mean no one is going to believe youre trying to be Constructive when you have the Power to erase messages and threat people with Warnings
  • Options
    hudman21hudman21 Member Posts: 276 Arc User
    @silverkelt
    I have played since the beginning, I feel you Silverkelt. Anyone who has seen how this game has gone from a what it was to what it has become understands. We 've had the loss of the Gateway (loss of companion rings), loss of dungeons, added cut and paste HE's/content, no Foundry (Which has always had great promise), and turned this into a game of fishing to progress !?!
    Its almost like the Dev team has run out of ideas and just tossed their collective hands in the air.

I'd be happy if every new mod addressed the imbalance in some classes, fixed the Foundry, brought in more dungeons/skirmishes, reinstituted the Gateway (wishful thinking on my part)...etc.

Its not about being negative, its about restoring what made us leave all other MMOs to come to Neverwinter in the first place.

I will say this about fishing, In one other MMO, fishing makes you gold, its also used for cooking, potions and for buffs. BUT YOU DONT NEED TO DO IT TO PROGRESS, ITS JUST FOR AN ADDED BENEFIT IF YOU WANT IT. You can progress fine with or without it.

Life is full of drains, I prefer to be a fountain
  • Options
    krasnoyarsk1krasnoyarsk1 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    I was liking a bit to fish until the ninja nerf on maps on bottles. Now i want that feature be removed from game.
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Yes, I like it. Give me more
    deleted this message owing to an attempt to quote a post resulting in both my message and the quoted message being placed in the same bubble. It was the same message as my below one.
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    kalindra said:

I find fishing to be for the most part, a relaxing pastime that actually wielded good profits.

This shows how different "relaxing" can be for different people: I take Tiamat at 1 fps anyday before staring for hours at tiny, hard to read figures until my eyes burn, keeping key pressed in the knowledge what this does to already existing athrosis just to get ...nothing of mentionable worth (a few bottles which lead to chest full of - wortless - fish don't count as worth).
    I understand why this could be stressful and hard to fit in for some people considering most have plenty of other dailies besides just sea of moving ice ones to run every day or simply don't enjoy the fishing. The total daily grind is getting a little out of hand as the to do list just keeps getting longer. I used to do a ton of grinding when I was gearing up but now do very little grinding and only really start busting HAMSTER when I am trying to get something specific. Otherwise, most of my daily revenue within recent months was whatever items dropped from the PVE content I ran with my guild that evening. I have been playing this game for long time but only have one geared character and 3 terribly neglected alts. The fact that I do not have much on my plate and only invested in one geared character may partially explain why I don't get stressed by the fishing content and have an easier time enjoying it.

The fishing itself I found to be surprisingly lucrative as I said previously. All I had to do was sit there in one of the good fishing spots and I would reel in a good number of bottles and guttable fish within less than an hour. The bottles and the reagents from the fish sell for a lot and I was able to generate a lot more AD quicker than with the normal daily routine. The first time I used a bottle and found a chest, I got nothing but fish, its the booby prize and I feel your pain there. I later that week bought up some maps and did treasure hunting for 4 hours and in that time frame, got around 2mil in refinement points for the new weapons altogether, the dragonbone kyek, the purple fishing rod, and loads of sellable goods like dragon turtle moults, blood rubies, unbound refinement gems, and other restoration goods. I did get some that were just fish but most of the prizes contained items that were worth at least more than the map itself was worth if not significantly more. Normally, I would have simply fished for the maps but I chose to buy them that day since I was trying to get the purple fishing rod quickly.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • Options
    emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    I don't mind it, as long as the rewards are good
    I also love how both mods found it necessary to quote my post! LOL, dont be so jumpy guys, I mean well. I still genuinely want this game to be a great and financially successful game. Still havent given up I guess
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
  • Options
    edited November 2016
    kreatyve said:

emilemo said:

Btw I love how ol Zeb voted "Yes" lol. Fishing in a video game should be a small, side and mostly short as in time spent activity. You definitely dont build a whole mod around it.

They didn't build a whole mod around it. They built half a mod around it. SoMI isn't mod 11, it's 10.5. Just wanted to point that out. And still, I enjoy fishing. I've spent more time in the game just fishing than I have spent doing anything else lately. I'm tired of running the same dungeons all the time. I didn't like most of SKT well enough to bother with unlocking FBI (despite having high enough ilvl). Fishing is a nice diversion for me. While I admit that they shouldn't have made it quite as "mandatory" as most people are viewing it, I think it's a welcome addition to the game and hope they continue to add more things that are less combat oriented. Fishing is something that basically anyone can do, regardless of item level or skill. It puts everyone on an even ground. This is just one reason why I like it.
    I honestly dont want to be rude therefore I shall refrain from sharing my true opinion on what i think enjoying something like virtual fishing is. Imo that cant even be classified as an activity. Hunting pokemon is more involving than that

PS: lets see if fishing turns into black ice mining in a mod or two.
    Post edited by emilemo on
  • Options
    theoddis1theoddis1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 353 Arc User
    Hamster no I dont like playing a 3 button fishing game for hours on end in hopes I get a map so I can chip away the lanolin mountain I want to run dungeons .... its Dungeons and Dragons Neverwinter not tiger electronics hand held bassfishing
  • Options
    josephskyrimjosephskyrim Member Posts: 356 Arc User
    Nope. I gave it the benefit of the doubt and tried it a bit but ultimately was left thinking to myself "man, there are so many other things I'd rather be doing right now." Way to go making it a pseudo-mandatory activity Cryptic! I mean it's either that or Pay to Win at the auction house right? Seriously considering option C.
    If you can't stand on a chest, it is a mimic!
  • Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    Well I think its pretty clear.

Almost 50% of people really dislike fishing
    Around 20% say its bearable but no more please
    Around 20% don't mind it as long as the rewards are good
    Less than 10% like it

So if the rewards are lowered / nerfed, 90% of people don't/won't like it.

The poll is more one sided than I thought it would be.
  • Options
    diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 2,894 Arc User
    I can live with it, but I'd rather not see more of the same
    I wouldn't mind it if there was like in any other decent MMO an automated AFK fishing system. Designers know that it only pleases a small subset of the gaming community so they usually implement a way to circumvent the annoyance fishing is to the rest of the players that way. Well of course, we're talking about Cryptic so we're forced to deal with that HAMSTER manually instead...
  • Options
    silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User

lantern22 said:

Must admit it, the feedback is more positive than I thought it would be. Interesting.

I don't find it surprising at all. You've got a wide disparity of opinions about it from strong positives to strong negatives. It's not something that everyone enjoys or that everyone hates, and there is a place in the game for it, but it's not appropriate as a mandatory activity.
    Becky has said it perfectly.. it would be a fun little mini game for some people, heck even have treasure maps.. just dont make it as part of needed to open content. I have no issue with people earning stuff doing this sort of activity, AS long as it has nothing to do with weapons or gating... let people go nuts, I dont care really. I do care you gated content behind malarky like fishing and HES.. after we constantly told you about HES over and OVER and OVER AND OVER AND OVER AND OVER and over and over.. AND OVER.. I mean really, you are guys completely deaf.. VAST majority of players ARE SUPER annoyed and tired of HEs and gated content behind them.

AND for gods sake.. PLEASE.. stop locking out alts on campaign structures.. underdark was perfect.. you do it once.. you can play the content. THIS is the perfect benchmark of A WELL made campaign.. it was just a tad annoying that , you forced to repeat content.. new content would be welcome, so a campaign set up like underdark, but in a new map and new story.. then JUST sell the mother luving thing.. we will pay you money for mods now.. 19.99.. just like most other games charge.. if you create a massive amount of content.. go ahead, charge 29.99.. you can still sell new comps, new mounts, new lockbox items.. to your hearts content. As long as we can play dungeons and dragons and not fishes and hes.

Your asking people to rerun, the most boring creation you have ever done.. over and over..

ITS boring and unfun.. b.o.r.i.n.g....

you made BORING content.. do you not get that.

• Options
    jonkocajonkoca Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,586 Arc User
    It's a good way to pass the time while someone's organizing a run. And the map in a bottle bit makes it fun too.
    No idea what my toon is now.
  • Options
    lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User

If you don't like fishing, you absolutely DO NOT have to do it. If you need any materials gathered from fishing, they're freely available on the AH. Which is another bonus for Fishing. For those who enjoy it, or at least tolerate it, it's another avenue for them to generate wealth. Especially for the solo player, it's a fantastic opportunity.

Man, I really disagree with that. Most of drops from treasure maps are bound, so we can't sell them on AH.
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • Options
    lordseth1985lordseth1985 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 319 Arc User
    zebular said:

If anyone likes a fishing simulator, Google will find you a list of arguably the "best PC fishing games". This is a D&D game, and not some silly and boring F&D (<- yes, "Fishing & Dragons") game. What's next, a Farming-Simulator 2016 adaption? I am sure, the Farmers in Rothe Valley would apprechiate our help... *rolleyes*</p>

I have physical books that show that there is indeed Fishing in D&D, and no Google needed for that.

zebular said:

vida44 said:

Can someone remind me what does D&D stand for?

It stands for Dungeons & Dragons but if you think that's what it means, then you don't know D&D. D&D is roleplaying, which is more than just Dungeons or Dragons. The majority of D&D content does not consist of Dungeons or Dragons. Using the "D&D" term or words "Dungeons & Dragons" at face value as an argument against fishing (or any content that is not "Dungeons" or "Dragons") is hyperbolic at best and totally inaccurate at worst.
    Sorry, but this is simply BS. Organize a table top D&D evening and invite experienced D&D players. Then offer them an evening of exiting fishing and you'll only see dust of them when they run out of your house. Continuously repeating nonsense like that (or that in most MMORPGs fishing plays a major role) does not make it true.

Edit: I just saw that lantern22 mentioned that already.
    I never said it is something to take up an entire gaming session. You're just arguing to the extreme and failing. Many of my players have occasionally fished to gain food for the rest of the journey. If you've never had to fend for yourself for food and water, then you had a very relaxed DM. The following example dialog is something that is all too common in both my Campaign and in the Campaigns I played in.

DM: "So, after journeying the rest of the day after your victorious encounter with a band of brigands on your journey to the Ruins you were tasked with exploring, you all settle into your chosen campsite inside a small forest bordering a fresh water stream." *The DM knowing a few are low on rations* "You're pretty sure that it's safe as it can be to try and get some rest or have a meal. Is there anything special you want to do?"

Player 1 and 2: "Let's eat!"

DM: "Bob, John, as you both dig through your backpacks you realize that you're getting low on rations and only have enough for one more meal."

Player 1: "Ah, shoot! Wasn't there a stream closeby?"

DM: "Yes, you're camped just a few hundred feet away."

Player 2: "My rations are low too, why don't you go fishing and I'll go see if I can catch some game."

DM: "Okay, Bob, you head off to the stream and John, you head off into the darkness of the woods with your bow and arrows. Bob, you find a good spot that you're sure some nocturnal fish make their home and you're easily able to find some insects to use as bait."

Player 1: "I bait my hook and cast it out into the water."

DM: "Okay, roll your Fishing Proficiency check!"

Player 1: "I rolled a 5 and my Wisdom is 18."

DM: "Great! You fished for a couple hours and caught... *rolls 2d4* ... 6 fish!"

Player 1: "I thank Tyché and give one back to the stream, heading back to the campsite with 5 fish."

DM: "So, John, roll your Hunting Proficiency check."

Player 2: "I rolled a 17 and my Wisdom is 16."

DM: "You were out hunting for a couple hours. You had one really close shot with you bow but all you managed to do was scare the squirrel out of your sight. You decide you had better head back and hope that Bob fared better than you...."

So, yeah. It would be really silly to have your party fish all session long. But no one is suggesting that. I even stated in my first post in this thread that this fishing mechanic needs to be made voluntary and not a mandatory part of progression. Doing so would make it in line with D&D and what D&D "stands" for.

That's not the point. I play D&D and sometimes I am the dm when me and my friends can't find somebody else. Fishing is not meant to be as mandatory as we have on NW; it should be something to increase gaming experience, not overhaul ppl and block it's progression. Also, as others have stated, when fishing gives better rewards than killing the queen of dragons or the demon lord, something is really messedup...

BTW, you can say that anyone that's not wanting to fish could buy treasure maps from ah and get fish from chests [since makes a lot of sense finding fish on buried treasure chests located on icebergs... but who cares?] but have you ever thought that many players choose to save ad and buy restoration ingredients from ah? or even better enchantments and other stuff?
    Avestruz.Q.T.Seduz - Rogue, natural born assassin.
  • Options
    wylonuswylonus Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,376 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    there no other option that i like any.
    i do like fishing, but hated more complexed fishing skills, i never able pull any fishes since, i tried what other said, as the bar filled and fish keep breaking off, making me want to give a big angry bird gesture for what you do.
    most unfun fishing i ever seen.

edit to add.
    still have issue with packbags and storage, nearly impossible to clean out to make room for fishes.
  • Options
    kallephi#0836 kallephi Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    I don't like having to sit in a boat but, the rewards are really nice at least for me. I brought a weapon and an off-hand to legendary, which is around 9 packs of lesser resonances during double rp for each, so 18 packs...and if you consider the last double rp before the one we just had, you would spend around 3.6M ad to buy them. Also, the blood rubies, brilliant diamonds, moults, lanolins I get from bottles give me around 600k ad per day and the fishes give me elk tribe support, just like a key for a chance for an orange mark, or an artifact or a legendary ring. It's better than farming 15 lanolins from HEs because for HEs you need to keep moving in the map. For fishing, I just play in windowed mode, watch some shows on youtube, listen to music, talk to people in facebook, and even use the forums while fishing.
    Ly'saaera, Hellbringer Fury Scourge Warlock of Thieves World
    Hælja, Swordmaster Conqueror Guardian Fighter of Thieves World
  • Options
    zach#3177 zach Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    Fishing is implemented better in several other mmos. I almost fall asleep at my keyboard doing the fish fry daily.
    If they want to use it again fine but please make it 100% optional and not tied to a daily quest.
  • Options

I don't like having to sit in a boat but, the rewards are really nice at least for me. I brought a weapon and an off-hand to legendary, which is around 9 packs of lesser resonances during double rp for each, so 18 packs...and if you consider the last double rp before the one we just had, you would spend around 3.6M ad to buy them. Also, the blood rubies, brilliant diamonds, moults, lanolins I get from bottles give me around 600k ad per day and the fishes give me elk tribe support, just like a key for a chance for an orange mark, or an artifact or a legendary ring. It's better than farming 15 lanolins from HEs because for HEs you need to keep moving in the map. For fishing, I just play in windowed mode, watch some shows on youtube, listen to music, talk to people in facebook, and even use the forums while fishing.

And what you describe is not playing the game. Cryptic removed rewards from Leadership and Invoking because players were getting stuff without playing the game. Fishing is the same. Fishing is not the game, fishing is at best a mini-game. Yet, something thats not the game is used to gate content from the actual game while providing better rewards from the actual game... Anything wrong with this picture?
  • Options
    beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited November 2016

AND for gods sake.. PLEASE.. stop locking out alts on campaign structures.. underdark was perfect.. you do it once.. you can play the content.

[snip]

ITS boring and unfun.. b.o.r.i.n.g....

you made BORING content.. do you not get that.

The very idea of playing through each SKT zone's introduction again... and again... and again, is incredibly hard to stomach. It's so tedious, and each zone that you unlock prevents progression in the campaign until you finish the weak excuse for "story" quests that are mostly just a threading together of the daily and weekly quests you're going to end up doing hundreds of times anyway.

I started seven characters in SKT. Most of them have bogged down at various points, and two got as far as being sent to Cold Run and stopped there, because I just cannot face that gahdamn rune fragment quest again, I hate it so much. I've done it five times already... why are you forcing me to do it over and over again? I won't take it as a daily, but here my choice is to do the quest or quit.

I have taken one character into SoMI. One. This module has made me give up on alts that I have stubborned through nearly everything else in the game (except Linu boons).
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • Options
    zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2016

zebular said:

If anyone likes a fishing simulator, Google will find you a list of arguably the "best PC fishing games". This is a D&D game, and not some silly and boring F&D (<- yes, "Fishing & Dragons") game. What's next, a Farming-Simulator 2016 adaption? I am sure, the Farmers in Rothe Valley would apprechiate our help... *rolleyes*</p>

I have physical books that show that there is indeed Fishing in D&D, and no Google needed for that.

zebular said:

vida44 said:

It stands for Dungeons & Dragons but if you think that's what it means, then you don't know D&D. D&D is roleplaying, which is more than just Dungeons or Dragons. The majority of D&D content does not consist of Dungeons or Dragons. Using the "D&D" term or words "Dungeons & Dragons" at face value as an argument against fishing (or any content that is not "Dungeons" or "Dragons") is hyperbolic at best and totally inaccurate at worst.
    Sorry, but this is simply BS. Organize a table top D&D evening and invite experienced D&D players. Then offer them an evening of exiting fishing and you'll only see dust of them when they run out of your house. Continuously repeating nonsense like that (or that in most MMORPGs fishing plays a major role) does not make it true.

I never said it is something to take up an entire gaming session. You're just arguing to the extreme and failing. Many of my players have occasionally fished to gain food for the rest of the journey. If you've never had to fend for yourself for food and water, then you had a very relaxed DM. The following example dialog is something that is all too common in both my Campaign and in the Campaigns I played in.

DM: "So, after journeying the rest of the day after your victorious encounter with a band of brigands on your journey to the Ruins you were tasked with exploring, you all settle into your chosen campsite inside a small forest bordering a fresh water stream." *The DM knowing a few are low on rations* "You're pretty sure that it's safe as it can be to try and get some rest or have a meal. Is there anything special you want to do?"

DM: "Bob, John, as you both dig through your backpacks you realize that you're getting low on rations and only have enough for one more meal."

Player 2: "My rations are low too, why don't you go fishing and I'll go see if I can catch some game."

DM: "Okay, Bob, you head off to the stream and John, you head off into the darkness of the woods with your bow and arrows. Bob, you find a good spot that you're sure some nocturnal fish make their home and you're easily able to find some insects to use as bait."

DM: "Great! You fished for a couple hours and caught... *rolls 2d4* ... 6 fish!"

Player 1: "I thank Tyché and give one back to the stream, heading back to the campsite with 5 fish."

DM: "You were out hunting for a couple hours. You had one really close shot with you bow but all you managed to do was scare the squirrel out of your sight. You decide you had better head back and hope that Bob fared better than you...."

So, yeah. It would be really silly to have your party fish all session long. But no one is suggesting that. I even stated in my first post in this thread that this fishing mechanic needs to be made voluntary and not a mandatory part of progression. Doing so would make it in line with D&D and what D&D "stands" for.

That's not the point. I play D&D and sometimes I am the dm when me and my friends can't find somebody else. Fishing is not meant to be as mandatory as we have on NW; it should be something to increase gaming experience, not overhaul ppl and block it's progression. Also, as others have stated, when fishing gives better rewards than killing the queen of dragons or the demon lord, something is really messedup...

BTW, you can say that anyone that's not wanting to fish could buy treasure maps from ah and get fish from chests [since makes a lot of sense finding fish on buried treasure chests located on icebergs... but who cares?] but have you ever thought that many players choose to save ad and buy restoration ingredients from ah? or even better enchantments and other stuff?
    Did you even read the first and last paragraphs of what you quoted? I totally agreed with what you just said. The point was that some folks were saying that Fishing doesn't belong in D&D at all, when it clearly has been there for, Gygax knows how long. That was the point, not that it should be the way it is in Neverwinter.

• Options
    lantern22lantern22 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,111 Arc User
    zebular said:

zebular said:

zebular said:

vida44 said:

Did you even read the first and last paragraphs of what you quoted? I totally agreed with what you just said. The point was that some folks were saying that Fishing doesn't belong in D&D at all, when it clearly has been there for, Gygax knows how long. That was the point, not that it should be the way it is in Neverwinter.

tbh I think most of us are in general agreement, some additional Poll options would have helped. I doubt many of us antifishians would be complaining if the Neverwinter fishing experience was the equivalent of a single line item in Table 37. The Poll probably needed an option about having fishing and other similar activities that complete the role playing spectrum but perhaps as peripheral, not core, activities. I can understand some people wanting to have some non-combat play options

God help us if Mod 11 is based around Cobbling or Cooking tho.
  • Options
    therealprotextherealprotex Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 526 Arc User
    edited December 2016
    zebular said:

As being one of this "some Folks" you mentioned, I play the ball back to you: did you actually read what "some folks" wrote? Noone claimed that fishing does not belong to D&D at all. "Some folks" just stated that it is not a central part in D&D, that building a whole mod around it (which was compared to a table top evening full of fishing only) would make Gary Gygax rotate in his grave. If you agree to that - as you claimed - how could you possibly vote "Yes, I like it. Give me more"??? I don't get it.