test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Do you like Fishing

Comments

• drizztdur78drizztdur78 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    No I dont, I never want to see it again
    fishing once was a somehow unique event.something to look forward to within the winter festival.surely its different on a kyaek and reeling is a nice added mechanic,but now fishing is related as being part of the mother of grinds.
    i mean fish for godlike weapons,really?
    btw those devs saying new weapons will remain bis for some time,remember announcements for the sh weapons?yeah...sounded similar!not going deeper into that,sad story!

back to topic: i personally would have been fine with some sort of fishing related event being added to the summer event to have it more in sight/2 fix dates per year on the calender for ppl that like these activities.
    anyhow had to vote for no more,since making fishing somehow mandatory (yeah,just buy...i like to play to get my things actually) within the neverending grind there is surely is not what i wanna see in this game.
    i´ll now gladly pass on fishing this winter.no,no...not even if i get treasure maps from it,lolz!

talking about that,as being the heros of neverwinter pulling out rods instead of a weapon for more profit is just wrong!!!well,at least for me.

btw dear devs,while clearly pointing out bag space being an issue even before this mod and claiming to be hearing the community why not create a special tab or else for this tons of new stuffs.
    and how near is "very soon" when speaking about more/old dungeons coming?its really time to give us back some old but all new and shiny dungeons with great rewards!

Post edited by drizztdur78 on
  • matthiasthehun76matthiasthehun76 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,184 Arc User
    kalindra said:

lantern22 said:

Must admit it, the feedback is more positive than I thought it would be. Interesting.

I don't find it surprising at all. You've got a wide disparity of opinions about it from strong positives to strong negatives. It's not something that everyone enjoys or that everyone hates, and there is a place in the game for it, but it's not appropriate as a mandatory activity.
    It's a question of "luck", too.
    If you've go a lucky account and made hundreds of thousands in the AH with your catches or just quickly got your campaign and weapon stuff, your're happy.
    (Additional, it's a botter's wet dream.)
    But if you spend hours upon hours fishing with one toon, while neglecting all you other ones, just for a bunch of cheap fish, never guttable ones, only a bottle or two per day, which only give you more fish, which you don't need for any campaign and which just clutters your already full inventory..., ...well, you're less exited about it.
    Exactly bro, i was fishing 8 and a half hours at first and got 0,00000 bottles, no ingredients for weapons, no usable blue or purple fish, nada, but some still some won't believe, that quite a few of us have "unlucky" accounts. My alliance mate had 30 bottles in one hour besides me, how does one call that?! Does anybody wonder if i despise mandatory fishing besides that it's not essential for a DnD game and very childish. But i could add i hate HEs in new zones too, no boots after months, not a single piece, oh but sorry i got my tin foil hat on. ;)

Some say i/we whine, but if they thinks so, we can exchange our "luck" and i will just sit and watch, how they would feel to be in my/our shoes.

The real honest man is honest from conviction of what is right, not from policy.
    Robert E. Lee

I only believe in statistics that I doctored myself.
    Winston Churchill

The human race is a herd. Here we are, unique, eternal aspects of consciousness with an infinity of potential, and we have allowed ourselves to become an unthinking, unquestioning blob of conformity and uniformity. A herd. Once we concede to the herd mentality, we can be controlled and directed by a tiny few. And we are.
    David Icke

• blamecharlesblamecharles Member Posts: 90 Arc User
    zebular said:

In all the MMORPGs that I play, most of them have fishing and there's only one that I don't enjoy it in. There were two, and Neverwinter was one but that was before we got an actual fishing system. I didn't enjoy fishing back when it was only during Simril. Now though, I kinda-of rather enjoy it. MMORPGs are not all about combat and if one doesn't enjoy the non-combat features of an MMORPG, then don't partake in those features.

There's plenty of combat to be had. As for the mechanics of fishing, and the complaints on it, that can be said for any other MMORPG that has fishing. I have fished since I was a lad, everything from shore fishing, net fishing, to mostly deep sea fishing... so I know "fishing." Nothing will ever truly feel like fishing except for actual real life fishing. Calling it stupid, moronic, or boring is just perspective really. My perspective is that it is a welcome addition to the game's features, and like almost all features, it could do well with some improvements... sure. The main improvement that needs to happen is that it needs to be made a voluntary feature and not part of mandatory progression.

In short, if your feelings against fishing in this MMORPG are so hostile and derogative, perhaps the feature is not something for you and you should instead focus on other aspects of the game that you do enjoy instead of condoning the feature to terms that are insulting whether by association, use, or development. While doing so, voice concerns and productive feedback to try and make reasoning why fishing shouldn't be mandatory for progression. That's far better than being hostile, derogative, and attacking others opinions because they differ from yours.

that is fine as long as BIS gear isn't attached to it. I actually HAMSTER hate the fishing. We were told Cryptic wanted us to have to play the game to make AD or progress our toons. Meanwhile at the bot farm that is SOMI...
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2016
    Yes, I like it. Give me more
    kalindra said:

Really?
    Which other MMO has fishing, hinting, gardening as a MAJOR , MANDATORY aspect of the game.
    True, may games incorporate such action as optional professions, one one or two of many, but not all and surely many of these games don't use professions at all, and many players in the games which do, don't develop amy professions.
    There are may fantasy MMO which offer side or even main quests like "get n fishes from x and bring them to y" (or something similar with other wildlife of foodstock, but: how many require you to get and improve equipment for this, even less TWO kinds, and who may require for this more than one place in the inventory or implement it in a way which take the player more than a few minutes to complete?
    (Not to mention
    Please mention one.

I do not believe one person here has said anything about them agreeing with or even wanting it to be a mandatory part of progression. On the contrary, all of us moderators have said, whether here or to each other, that it should be a voluntary side mechanic and not required to advance. Please folks, keep this in mind before ripping into our or other's opinions and feedback.
  • szejhuludpuchaczszejhuludpuchacz Member Posts: 306 Arc User
    I hate fishing both real and virtual life. Only reason I have continued grinding this module is new weapon set, just to keep my main toon, DPS, updated and being wanted for dungeons. Otherwise I would just stick to other content.
    200_s.gif
  • kangkeokkangkeok Member Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    I don't mind it, as long as the rewards are good
    kalindra said:

lantern22 said:

Must admit it, the feedback is more positive than I thought it would be. Interesting.

I don't find it surprising at all. You've got a wide disparity of opinions about it from strong positives to strong negatives. It's not something that everyone enjoys or that everyone hates, and there is a place in the game for it, but it's not appropriate as a mandatory activity.
    If you've go a lucky account and made hundreds of thousands in the AH with your catches or just quickly got your campaign and weapon stuff, your're happy.
    But if you spend hours upon hours fishing with one toon, while neglecting all you other ones, just for a bunch of cheap fish, never guttable ones, only a bottle or two per day, which only give you more fish, which you don't need for any campaign and which just clutters your already full inventory..., ...well, you're less exited about it.
    Hmm thats quite a bad luck. I spend 100 bait everyday or stop once i get 5 map. Usually took me about an hour to finish the bait. Most of the time i get 5 map without finishing the bait. Sometime with gutable fish. At my least luck, i get 3 map out of 100 bait.

Btw i hope u are not reeling in every fish caught by ur bait because u can press W to break the line off the fish u dont want.
  • santralafaxsantralafax Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 2,896 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I can live with it, but I'd rather not see more of the same
    kalindra said:

For the most part, this is my experience. I have caught 3 or 4 bottles and bought more bottles off the AH. Except for the purple fishing pole and 1 lanolin, I've mostly gotten fish from the treasure.
    kangkeok said:

00 bait.

Btw i hope u are not reeling in every fish caught by ur bait because u can press W to break the line off the fish u dont want.

This is good to know.
  • arcticblitzarcticblitz Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 126 Arc User
    I don't mind it as a mini game and I can only stomach it for about 40 minutes at a time, I don't like that it is required for progression of which means i'll skip going for the items. I'm currently using it to make some AD by selling off materials until the market gets saturated.
    Blitzy : PVE only Barbarian
    Martin ConDion PVE only Ranger

Guild Founder: -HunterS-
  • voidgiftvoidgift Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 286 Arc User
    The maps keeps giving me fish, fish and fish. I am maxed out on fish and there is no reason to give a man that has been fishing for 5 hours, catching a fish at least once a minute more fish. I can't live with this anymore.
    With dreams to be a king, first one should be a man.

Rise to POWER with <House of Power>.

The Exterminator - (NW-DLNXF3BGG)
  • megasvassiliosmegasvassilios Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 23 Arc User
    i think some players in this thread confuse fishing with big heroics, fishing is for sure not mandatory, BHE are. Fishing just gives you a very small fraction (AD wise) of the required reagents for restoring the weapons. (ofc according to others BHEs are also not mandatory since you can buy everything form AH)
    I surely don't like fishing and after the first 2-3 days I'm not fishing.
    But what i find really funny is how generous cryptic is with fishing, you could net around 100k per hour fishing, 10 times more than running 2 FBI's in 1 hour :smile: .

fishing is a fine example of "divide and conquer" cryptic strategy.
    - No new content for this sub-module
    - well give them sth that's easy for us to implement, lets say fishing
    - y, but the players will rage quit
    - no if they can net 100k per hour
    and believe me if this poll wasn't inside this forum but it was open in game it would be like 90% "give me more fishing".

bottom line:
    don't like fishing
    don't like HE (x300)
    like dungeon delving
    abandoned my 2nd end game toon
    abandoned my 3rd mid-decent geared toon
    thx cryptic
  • asterotgasterotg Member Posts: 1,742 Arc User
    To all the ppl claiming, that this is not mandatory. A friend bought most of the stuff for measly 2 kk AD. He ran out of AD before he was able to build his main/ offhand.

So let me get this straight. I am supposed to either dish out 3-5 KK AD for a GREEN main and offhand OR do HEs in SomI for 20h (ingredients), HEs in lonely wood for 20h (lanoilin) and do some 5-10 h of fishing for the rest.

Did I mention, that you have to have artificing and weapon smithing at lvl 25 to build some of this ingridients.

Lets not forget, that all of this is RNG with an unlucky account you can easily double or triple these numbers.

The usual conversation with friends, when I join TS or in game these days: Like to join BHEs? No. Are you fishing? No. Ah, you are buying all the stuff. No. What are you doing? Ignoring this Mod, like the one before, and running dungeons with crappy geared PuGs bc everyone and his mom is doing BHEs or fishing.
    Chars: CW, DC, GF, GWF, HR and TR.
  • silverkeltsilverkelt Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,235 Arc User
    Sure..

1. friends. (they were some of the best. )
    2. Guilides. (THC and TUC are just awesome sauce, so willing to help out and be there for everyone!)
    3. Neverwinter combat
    4. MMO class structure.
    5. Different class roles in combat.
    6. Graphics and Art.
    7. Music, I appreciate the effort they do.
    8. The Jokes they give via some events, campaigns.. I do lol. at times.
    9. The different enchants (I tried almost all of them at some points)
    10. Dungeons, they might not be what they were, but they are still fun to me overall.

You make the mistake @etelgrin to think because I come on here and sound super negative , that I go into the game and do the same, I dont blame players for the most part..

If I made anyone upset, I apologize, I find it dishearting about this direction, but its none of your fault, I will be moving on shortly and give all props to the bestest poeple out there, NEverwinter was overall good community to run with.. some of you were Awesomesauce to the end. I thought at the start 3 years ago, it wasnt, but after a couple of months, finding the right places to play with, it turned out I was wrong, the game has lots of great poeple in it and still does.

@ironzerg79 to you to man, sorry, I got more personal then I meant to be.

ITs clear this isnt the game for me anymore, but if its the game for you, you dont deserve any bashing from me.

I will stop my attempts of getting anything changes and making this move has already made me feel better.

I always fill a little bitter when I make this choice, I hate to leave great people , and neverwinter had some of the best I have played with.

You all have been great.
  • emilemoemilemo Member Posts: 1,718 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I don't mind it, as long as the rewards are good
    I dont like it but I wouldnt mind it if the rewards were good and the choice to do it was all mine. As it stands the choice was made for me and for all of you by Cryptic who simply gated stuff behind it.. Fishing, you sit in front of your computer, watching the virtual water and waiting for a virtual fish to get hooked - make no mistake, your dead grandfather would roll in his grave if he saw you spending your time in such a ''meaningful'' way and your living grandfather would probably wonder what the heck happened to his grandkid.

Btw I love how ol Zeb voted "Yes" lol. Fishing in a video game should be a small, side and mostly short as in time spent activity. You definitely dont build a whole mod around it.
    Row, row, row your boat, Gently down the stream.
    Merrily, merrily, merrily, merrily, Life is but a dream.
    Well it is a little disheartening, when like ALL the people giving feedback, seems to be on one side of the argument, Ive said for awhile, they should have more diversity in its group. They all seem to be the same type of player for the most part.

Not blaming them for anything.. just maybe a bit more diversity, so the entire community could be a bit better represented (at least the majority aspects of it)

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited November 2016
    emilemo said:

Btw I love how ol Zeb voted "Yes" lol. Fishing in a video game should be a small, side and mostly short as in time spent activity. You definitely dont build a whole mod around it.

Indeed, I voted Yes because I love fishing want to see more "proficiency" type activities. If you were to read my posted feedback however, you'd see that I agree with you and the majority of people in that fishing should be a side activity, not a mandatory part of progression...

• gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User

But because it is, its moronic and boring, time consuming and has no place in a mmorpg.

Really? Look at the landscape...almost all major MMOs have some sort of meaningful fishing system implemented.

It's weird, but it's just something that MMO players tend to enjoy.

Personally, I think having non-combat focused activities added to the game helps make it more robust. It gives people the opportunity to do something different for a change. And as long as the rewards are meaningful, then I don't see a problem with it.

If you don't like fishing, you absolutely DO NOT have to do it. If you need any materials gathered from fishing, they're freely available on the AH. Which is another bonus for Fishing. For those who enjoy it, or at least tolerate it, it's another avenue for them to generate wealth. Especially for the solo player, it's a fantastic opportunity.

And honestly, I think your opinion is incredibly selfish. You're basically of the mindset that if it's something @silverkelt doesn't explicitly enjoy, it's "moronic and boring" and "has no place in the game". Reading feedback like that only convinces me there's one very specific thing that doesn't belong in the game any more, and it's not fishing.

Does the other games have other meaningful fun content to play? In that case they could get away with fishing. If you only have fishing, then its not a Dungeons and dragons, its a fishing simulator game.

Also giving people opportunity is fine but in this game we are FORCED to fish. Or maybe Im missing something, how do I not need to fish at all? Because everyone I asked told me I have to fish atleast a few times a week to progress?

I havent started the new content and I wont do so. I never even did the new fang dungeon because there is no point and to much fuzz to even unlock it.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

Its not just the game @etelgrin , my friend list is almost completely barren of the core group of friends I made.. there was about 15 of us at the start of this year.. there is like 2-3 left. Most just do not find the new stuff as fun.

Even though my guild is just great and awesome, I stayed in this game for this long, due to the fun times I had with that core group, without them, the game seems very empty. We tested, we struggled, we complained about pricing , we overcame alot through the years.

I completely understand why they left, the game just moved past us, I can see if you were a brand new player, doing things like HE and Fishing might not seem so outrageous, but to me.. it just does, I have zero interest in this sort of "content" filler. I am old school mmo, I want to thrath and throttle the enemies into submission (and frankly would like more of a real challenge and less of a power curve)

I play a mmo to interact with people on a group level to finish common goals.

along the way, I like to find out their personal struggles, their family interactions, heck what is their fave food, music, places and things.

It is also a GREAT way to meet people from other cultures and enjoy interactions from around the world.

For the most part this mmo did a good aspect of this, even though I rate this game a little less on the whole then my years at LOTRO.. it still turned out to be very good for a long time.

If I stay, I will just become increasingly bitter and frustated with said "content" and none of you deserve that =P.

I will be still logging in daily for quite awhile, probably until the end of the year.. so its not a I quit thread, just a more of, I cant stay and play this sort of stuff thread.

I will still be posting, just wont be asking for changes anymore, I started a NEW players , this is how you do it guide, I might finish it and publish it before I head out, so newbies get a long dissected view of how to advance, where to advance and such. its all stuff that can be garnered from many places, but I thought it might be useful.

However I was up to like 18 pages or something and wasnt done, so its, dont know if I will get there or not.

• gankdalf#8991 gankdalf Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 930 Arc User
    BTW, how do I pay 2 skip 10 and 10.5 mod? GIVE ME THAT OPTION PLS. I wanna play with my friends but im not grinding the quests.

▁ ▂ ▄ ▅ ▆ ▇ █ Gankdalf The Icehole █ ▇ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▂ ▁

• trgluestickztrgluestickz Member Posts: 1,144 Arc User
    edited November 2016
    I wish there was a simple, yes I like it option without the "give me more" bit. I like the fishing but I don't want more expansions done on fishing since there is lots of other more substantial stuff that I would much rather see the Devs give their primary focus to. The primary bulk of a mod should line up with player demand with a few ideas not specifically requested added in here and there. Now, with that said, more about the fishing:

When fishing first hit preview, I went to check it out and it was an absolute mess, buggy as hell, unplayable, and made me want to throw my computer out the window in minutes. I did not expect the devs to clean it up much if any before it hit live considering how many bugs and design flaws hit live without getting the proper testing and fixes. Its still mostly the same mechanics as on preview but they did do a reasonable job at cleaning it up to the point where it was not just usable but I actually found it fun.

I find fishing to be for the most part, a relaxing pastime that actually wielded good profits. It wasn't something I was jumping up and down exited over but it was mildly fun, I found it to be at least as fun as the fishing activity from the winter festival if not a little better. The mechanics were not the best design that could have been put forwards but for a game that is not based on fishing, decent.

The most obvious flaw with the fishing system is that the fish don't go into the currency page in our inventories, they go straight into our bags and create a ridiculous amount of unneeded clutter and angrier players. If the devs just moved the fish to the currency tab, that would quell a lot of the upset related to the fishing at least. We don't need more HAMSTER filling our bags, its redundant and we have plenty already to keep us preening our inventory regularly and buying bags if that was the goal here.

The work and inspirational research on real sea life that went into the descriptions for the fish themselves I think was very underappreciated and I wish more people would take notice when the developers indulge in a little creativity. I geeked out a little and spent over an hour reading the fish descriptions when they hit the preview server.

For mod 10.5 in general, its better than mod 10(though this was not a high bar, mod 10 was mostly a letdown). I want to see even better in the future but overall, its decent and I was able to find a good amount of parts of it I liked.
    Post edited by trgluestickz on
    --
    PVP Rogue,
    --[----- "Your friendly neighborhood spawn of Satan." -----]--
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    Main Character: Hurricane Marigolds (Rogue WK & Assassin)
    Ingame Handle: trgluestickz
    Discord Name: Hurricane🌀Marigolds#2563
    Guilds: She Looked LVL 18 & Essence of Aggression
    Alliances: Imperium & Order of the Silent Shroud
    Platform: PC
  • kieranmtornkieranmtorn Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 382 Arc User
    For me, it's more distasteful than the original mod 6 grind. And since I expect the level cap to be raised in a mod or 2, it's even more pointless from my perspective, since I still have the scars from the mod 5 grind for Linu's for multiple alts before all those artifact weapons/off-hands became obsolete.
  • wahipple#3500 wahipple Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    i said i dont mind it i like fishing in games but the way it done here is not all that good