test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] Combating Gold Spammers

Comments

• samerikersameriker Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    I want to know why my GUILD chat is blocked by this action. If I invite a new player to the guild, I trust them. Why can't they join a custom chat channel, why can't they emote, why can't they communicate? I recruit and help the newest players and Cryptic is making this very anti-social. By the time you complete 3 chains, assuming you don't leave the game, you should be wondering why you need anyone to help you at all.

Thanks for the information on the requirements zebular.

Edit: @zebular "I've ran these quests so many times, I could almost do it in my sleep."
    That is good for you, but what about the fellow who just signed up to decide, if they really want to buy? Doing these chains makes it between level 20 to 35 and they will be a paragon before they can ask us the important start up questions. I have my 8 characters, not an army as you do, but I am concerned for others, not myself.
    Post edited by sameriker on
    Fame is a vapor, popularity an accident; the only earthly certainty is oblivion. ~ Mark Twain
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Congratulations!

Since new players can't talk in zone chat, they can't ask which artifact is best while in their early 20s, so they just take the stupid Catalogue.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • tashiaserenetashiaserene Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    New players NEED to be able to talk.

This all needs to be undone and a different approach needs to happen.

• zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited October 2016

Congratulations!

Since new players can't talk in zone chat, they can't ask which artifact is best while in their early 20s, so they just take the stupid Catalogue.

They can talk, in groups or custom channels, or even voice chat services (pc or console). It's not hard to form a group or join a channel and chat away and both the PS4 and XBOX have built in voice chatting. Then there's always the forums.

Regardless, someone's always going to have some negative spin on any restrictions placed in the game. Personally, as I stated in an earlier post here, the only issue I see is that the restriction isn't lifted if the player spends an X-amount of Real Money on the game.

• matt5p5p#0725 matt5p5p Member Posts: 2 New User
    Characters created before 8/25 aren't affected? <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. My character was made much earlier than that and I can't do <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>. Also can't even pick up the required quests to unlock the privilege of being able to post and chat. Neverwinter support is also a joke. Done with this game.
  • demonmongerdemonmonger Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,350 Arc User
    If they really wanted to combat gild spammers... we would have systems in place that.

1) blocked character chats if player said the same phrase more than 3 times in a row

2) blocked accounts that we put on lists as gold spammers.

3) banned all accounts using items from 3Rd party sites
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
  • petersfieldpetersfield Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    They have to combat their own greed before gold spammers. I see spammers offer 1m AD for $10, if you can convert that it becomes 2k zen. That is twice the amount than cryptic/pwe offers.
    They need to either offer a reasonable AH cap, make lockboxes rain loot, or sell zen cheaper. In any case they need to make it so AD farming for cash is less lucrative, not less AD.
  • dmlouciferdmloucifer Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    zebular said:

Moderator Update: Added the following to the Original Post of this thread.

To unlock trading, auction house, and other social functions, one must have completed any three of the following quest chains on any one character on the account. Once unlocked on any one character, all characters will be unrestricted.

Chain: Return of the Crown
    Quests to complete:
    The Trail of the Crown
    Cornering Karzov

Chain: The Tower District
    Quests to complete:
    Returning the Pain
    Fists of the Warband
    Into the Cloak Tower

Chain: The Plague Tower
    Quests to complete:
    Troubled Times
    The Plague Tower

Chain: Blackdagger Ruins
    Quests to complete:
    The Sea Caves
    Bloodying the Bandits
    Grimstorm Keep

Chain: Neverdeath
    Quests to complete:
    Dragon Attack
    Opening the Way
    The Clockwork Tomb

Chain: Helm's Hold
    Quests to complete:
    The Underscar
    The Being from Beyond
    The Sanatorium

One can in game these required quests as they are all be displayed in the new Campaign Layout screens and menus.

Your system is not working as advertised. I talked a friend into joining this game, got him to buy a 6 mo sub, talked him into the inscribed armor, and a class pack. We could not trade until we finally completed blackdagger ruins. SO your restriction about completing any 3 of those quest chains is not working. We both had completed the three previous chains before blackdagger and still the game was restricting his access.

And why is it that in Cryptic's infinite wisdom do you restrict paying customers? My friend would have quit right there when he found out that he was still under these draconian restrictions even after spending almost $100 on this game!

• duce2duce#5231 duce2duce Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    In all the years of playing mmos every attempt to stop spammers either results in no effect to the spammers and damaging results to players that these things should NEVER effect.

How about we do some math? If there are 100 paying players putting 10 dollars a month in are complaining about a problem, It should take 1 person less than 1 week to solve the problem equalling in 1000 dollars in payment for jobs done. Now take 3 weeks off work to let the cash build back to 1000 then send someone in to address the problem. Now multiply it up by about 100 or 1000 and there should be a lot of time left over to fix any given problem.

Instead of setting restrictions on all players through a set it and forget it type of setup how about someone get off their lazy asses and come into the game once a week and MONITOR the chat box and delete and ban accounts as needed. Yes I have heard all of the excuses about what it takes to sign in and read the chat box, guess what I do it every day and it doesn't seem that hard? Now the implications of whats stated would suggest we want GM's to come play with us, NO just sit hidden in the enclave and READ the chat box, its not that hard to figure out who's spamming and who is not. This also can't be a job with a set day of the week for monitirong.

Another way is to take the crime stoppers method, pay people to participate in removing spammers instead of just blocking the player. I find the report player ability in neverwinter to be annoying and slow, you also can't report a group of people as there is a time limit between reporting.

I still think the cheapest and best option is to have a REAL person REALLY do something about spammers by sitting there and removing them as they come up. Take the guess work out of reviewing reports about spammers and having to investigate them, JUST SIT IN AND REMOVE THEM YOUYR SELF.

Tell me I am wrong here, You expect me to pay to play everyday, where is the hurt in expecting someone to fix/take care of problems every day? I pay a sub, there are rules about spamming, why am I seeing or needing to participate in a part of something that should be taken care of by the main followers/setters of the rules.
  • meliodas999#7071 meliodas999 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Why can not I add friends to the game? Someone help me ?
  • firdraingfirdraing Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Well... these changes are far from perfect because new comers (Actual players) will have even more trouble and player income will be even shorter...
    But for this once I guess changes are good, at least something to prevent the spam, though a note is important that ~50-75% of the spam I get in total goes to my mailbox, with a bunch of website links and stuff like "We're the most trusted ad website" and other hamster, however when I click report spam it sais player doesn't exist, so it seems they delete their spam chars themselves.
    For the moment we don't need too much to do the first three chains, however for doing plague tower it would be best to have zone/say unlocked already? Because I remember when I started playing, it was a bit hard to get through that questline.
  • firdraingfirdraing Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 58 Arc User
    duce2duce, you're not correct.

let me put it out this way:
    He sits there and continuosly bans every spammer, yes? Spammer goes, deletes his char, creates a new one and spamms again. Account gets banned? He creates a new account and does the same on his chars. It would honestly be a waste of time.
    Now if they would have IP bans, maybe that would actually do something... because spammers would run out of PCs.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited March 2017
    firdraing said:

duce2duce, you're not correct.

let me put it out this way:
    He sits there and continuosly bans every spammer, yes? Spammer goes, deletes his char, creates a new one and spamms again. Account gets banned? He creates a new account and does the same on his chars. It would honestly be a waste of time.
    Now if they would have IP bans, maybe that would actually do something... because spammers would run out of PCs.

IP bans have been proven to be ineffective since the late 90's as there are numerous ways to circumvent such, even more so in current times. It's just as easy to get a new IP via a number of ways and even worse, with how IPs are recycled and even shared in this day and age, companies run the risk of banning innocent people by IP banning. IP addresses are not PC specific, MAC addresses are but those are just as easily changeable for those in the know... and it's a safe bet that the majority of spammers are in the know, as they deal with all sorts of bans on a continual basis.
  • dread4moordread4moor Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,154 Arc User
    Removing the market for botted goods is not working.
    Doesn't work in real life markets and it won't work in this virtual one.
    How many more years before they at least try some barriers?

There are many barrier options Cryptic has never even tried.
    1) CAPTCHA (Poor)
    Not a great option. Putting a CAPTCHA barrier to posting on the AH or on zone changes/during loading screens would help. But it would drive some of us humans insane and can be beaten by many bots. Better then nothing.
    2) reCAPTCHA+ (Fair)
    The newest reCAPTCHA reads mouse-movements (bots cannot make truly human-like random mouse movements) which is better. But there would surely be some false-positives. Still, better then nothing.
    3) Logic Script/image combos (Better)
    "Which of these images shows a citrus fruit eaten by an angry person? " Very bot resistant. Very human irritating. Would the NW public endure this with each screen load?
    I would if it stopped the bots, but not all would agree.
    4) Honeypots (Good)
    A fourth option is the "honeypot" approach. It involves an input field with a none-Cascading Style Sheets rule (or similar) on it. Humans cannot read/see these but bots are tricked into filling in the blank, hence announcing themselves as bots.
    This last one is the most promising option.

There.
    4 options that would certainly reduce some bot traffic. Not perfect.
    @asterdahl @mimicking#6533 @nitocris83 , I'm sure all of these have been considered 100 times.
    Would welcome ELI5 why they have never been used in NW.
    JrUzbQw.jpg?1
    I am Took.
    "Full plate and packing steel" in NW since 2013.
  • shawynnexshawynnex Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    This is the STUPIDEST mechanic EVER!
    You have to be level 20 to complete the quests from Blackdagger Ruins on.
    Unless you're a VIP (and who the HELL would want to be if this is what you have to go thru) you'll be way under leveled by the time you finish the previous quests, and will HAVE to grind or do side quests JUST TO UNLOCK CHAT IN AN MMORPG MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ROLE PLAYING GAME!!!!!!!!
    A "Massive Multiplayer" "Role Playing" game that you can't have conversations with other people in. WTF??!!!
    shawynnex said:

This is the STUPIDEST mechanic EVER!

You have to be level 20 to complete the quests from Blackdagger Ruins on.

Unless you're a VIP (and who the HELL would want to be if this is what you have to go thru) you'll be way under leveled by the time you finish the previous quests, and will HAVE to grind or do side quests JUST TO UNLOCK CHAT IN AN MMORPG MASSIVE MULTIPLAYER ROLE PLAYING GAME!!!!!!!!

A "Massive Multiplayer" "Role Playing" game that you can't have conversations with other people in. WTF??!!!

zebular said:

Congratulations!

They can talk, in groups or custom channels, or even voice chat services (pc or console). It's not hard to form a group or join a channel and chat away and both the PS4 and XBOX have built in voice chatting. Then there's always the forums.

Regardless, someone's always going to have some negative spin on any restrictions placed in the game. Personally, as I stated in an earlier post here, the only issue I see is that the restriction isn't lifted if the player spends an X-amount of Real Money on the game.

• nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    If some dev's/product managers/project managers would just understand that the current "hide quests 7 levels below your level" is not working out. - and that it is especially stupid in areas where quests are vital for communication.

But there is no time/money/dedication/love for older areas if this game - the solution to make the quest markers visible on demand is IMHO not really rocket science. But maybe it is.
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
    edited April 2017
    Looks like your ridiculous attempt to stop gold sellers failed!

Mod Note: Link removed. It is against the ToS and Rules to post names and web sites for illegal activities, even in image format.
    Post edited by zebular on
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    Yeah, funny think the reporting system being broken for months now :-)
    PADI
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • rick#3945 rick Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    It use to be easy to report these people in regards to mail spam. You selected message and click on spam. Now, when I do this the message disappears and I'm asked for the person's name or handle. This no longer exists as it is now gone. I still do this but it appears to be a waste of time.
  • bronto111bronto111 Member Posts: 110 Arc User
    It is rediculous that its now april 2017 nearly 6 months later and the spammers are still spamming my mail and in game chats,still advertising 3rd party web sites etc.and whats worse is the mailbox button to report spam is still broken and just comes up with an error "@handle not found" or something like that.
  • grogthemagnifgrogthemagnif Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,651 Arc User
    Somehow the Goldspammers handle has been transposed into their characterName when you report spam as in Reported characterName@goldspammer and received result "goldspammer" not found, please provide characterName and handle.
    It's the antI report hack.... they create spoof names that do not exist.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I hate paying taxes! Why must I pay thousands of dollars in taxes when everything I buy is taxed anyways!
    The are also compiling a list of in game emails to spam.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    They are hoping someone will be tired of the grind and take their bait...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • rhymenoiserhymenoise Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    I think what needs to happen is a change to how mail works, since alot of these spammers use the in-game mail.
    Unless it's a guild wide mail, I don't think I've ever needed mail from anyone who's not on my friends list nor have I needed to mail any non-friends. I think if mail was friends/guild only, it would limit just the amount the could be send in a single message.

Next I'd limit how many messages lower level characters can send at a time, ie 1 public message every 30sec/1min until a certain level, just so they can't spam multiple channels over and over again.

They are hoping someone will be tired of the grind and take their bait...

Part of that is that many items seem so expensive to new players, because you don't get very much AD until much later in game.
    edited May 2017
    deleted
    Post edited by shawynnex on
    I take that back.
    I it still says you have to complete 5 questchains to unlock chat.

Did the moderator lie, or is this a bug?
  • regenerderegenerde Member Posts: 3,047 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    rick#3945 said:

It use to be easy to report these people in regards to mail spam. You selected message and click on spam. Now, when I do this the message disappears and I'm asked for the person's name or handle. This no longer exists as it is now gone. I still do this but it appears to be a waste of time.

It might not help much, but may be the Devs could add a time restriction on the deleting process of accounts/characters...
    after mails have been send through this account/character, it can't be deleted for 72hrs.

Add to that a restriction on sending mails, where you can only send X mails within Y minutes to players on your friendlist or in your guild/alliance.

That should give spam reports enough time to find their "targets", and hopefully also slow the mail spam down a bit.
    I do believe in killing the messenger...
    Want to know why?
    Because it sends a message!
This discussion has been closed.