test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

gateway down????

Comments

• urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

I'm sure 20 mil Vorpals are coming back.

It's no longer possible to print AD (AD leadership gone, AD invoking gone). Prices will fall. Economics 101, supply & demand.

That's not how MMO economies work. There are still players that have hundreds of million of AD and they can afford 20 mil vorpals, if they really want to. All it will do, is create an even bigger divide between the haves and have nots. Unless you have an AD account in the nine digits, you are NOT one of the haves and you WILL get the short end of the stick if this continues.

What will happen, though, is that high price items, like a 20 Mil vorpal, will become pretige items that the haves will be able to buy to signal their wealth over the dirty beggars that make up the vast majority of the rest of the player bayse, from their point of view. Prices will stay high precicesly BECAUSE the AD supply is low.

20 million vorpal isn't even sustainable. Vorpal has a fixed upper price aside from the RP costs and even without the gateway enough RP enters the AH to prevent it from significantly affecting the price of enchants. I mean say what you want but even with the gateway down the prices of enchants still have not recovered from 2x enchants. Heck, they've actually dropped since yesterday.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • mrramnusmrramnus Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Like always blame bots ^^
  • micky1p00micky1p00 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 3,594 Arc User
    urabask said:

It's no longer possible to print AD (AD leadership gone, AD invoking gone). Prices will fall. Economics 101, supply & demand.

That's not how MMO economies work. There are still players that have hundreds of million of AD and they can afford 20 mil vorpals, if they really want to. All it will do, is create an even bigger divide between the haves and have nots. Unless you have an AD account in the nine digits, you are NOT one of the haves and you WILL get the short end of the stick if this continues.

What will happen, though, is that high price items, like a 20 Mil vorpal, will become pretige items that the haves will be able to buy to signal their wealth over the dirty beggars that make up the vast majority of the rest of the player bayse, from their point of view. Prices will stay high precicesly BECAUSE the AD supply is low.

20 million vorpal isn't even sustainable. Vorpal has a fixed upper price aside from the RP costs and even without the gateway enough RP enters the AH to prevent it from significantly affecting the price of enchants. I mean say what you want but even with the gateway down the prices of enchants still have not recovered from 2x enchants. Heck, they've actually dropped since yesterday.
    RP also has an upper price, the Flawless Sapphire sold at WB.
  • morrowind69morrowind69 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 26 Arc User
    I can't imagine Neverwinter without bots , even the best MMO games had bots but banning bots is good or bad no one know the answer .
    think of it if you want to farm R5 RP stack of 99 how much time you need to get it ?!! maybe 2 days or more but it take 30 sec to find it in AH ,right ?
  • btairbornebtairborne Member Posts: 352 Arc User
    Seems like the biggest complainers are people who can't get in to play SCA or do professions when they are actually being paid to be doing something else..that thing called a job! Gotta laugh and not feel sorry for you. I have to actually work hard for a living.
    This is how you do professions without Gateway. Log in once in the morning, and once at night. So it's not the most efficient, but it still gets the job done.
  • h3llbentwisph3llbentwisp Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    diogene0 said:

Well I do hope everyone learns their lesson. It's about time people who complain about seeing RMT spam in zone chat think twice about what they ask for. The gateway being down indefinitely is the direct result of this constant complaining from a handful of people. I hope they're really pissed off at themselves for complaining in the first place.

How is Gateway being down, have to do with complaints of Spam in Zone Chat in game??? Do you honestly believe that even with out people complaining of the Spammers, that nothing would be done about the issue? Third party sellers cost the Cryptic, Perfect World, and D&D money. IF people are not spending it on buying Zen to exchange for Astrals (or buying straight from the market to sell and make profit) Then the game loses revenue. That would bring notice with out the players complaining.

Think of it this way. You come up with this brainstorm idea that you get copyrighted, patented. This said idea makes you a lot of money. One day someone comes along steals your idea, cuts into your profits big time. You wouldn't notice that loss, with out someone complaining about it?
  • plasticbatplasticbat Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 12,346 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Seems like the biggest complainers are people who can't get in to play SCA or do professions when they are actually being paid to be doing something else..that thing called a job! Gotta laugh and not feel sorry for you. I have to actually work hard for a living.
    This is how you do professions without Gateway. Log in once in the morning, and once at night. So it's not the most efficient, but it still gets the job done.

It does not get the job done for me because I have limited time in the morning. Using in game, I can only do some. Using gateway, I can do all. Let me put it this way, I used to do invocation of all my toon in the morning.
    During the time of loading the next toon (which is kind of slow, about 15 seconds), I can reset the profession of a toon in gateway before the loading finish. That is how fast gateway is to do profession.

In terms of QoL, it is a lot easier to do profession in gateway. I see more available task (especially the blue type) in one screen vs scrolling up and down in game. I can use back page to to fast re-set. I can see the availability of my workers in one screen.

Another one is I usually do 12+ hours tasks. If I start that at 8pm, they won't finish by 8am (leave home for work) if I don't use colour workers. I could do that at work before 9am office hours though. I take me about 10 minutes for 12 toons.

Anyway, I used to be able to do 2 to 3 rounds per day (with colour workers). Now, 1 round.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • eoleeeolee Member Posts: 264 Arc User

You haven't found anything more constructive? Aside maybe explaining people how to log twice a day, judging how others deal with their work, life and so on is a little under the belt. And you do not even realise that gateway being down is impacting the game itself with lag issues or snr issues and so on. Sorry, you work hard for a living, so you probably aren't facing those issues. Hey im not judging :)
  • coolcarcrash1coolcarcrash1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 7 Arc User
    Cryptic has a funny way to resonate:

1: A personal experience is that when the Red Dragon Ioun Stone was brand new, they made it BoE from the Silver Scale store, but also, some idiot made a 2nd version that was BoP, this version with a slightly different name would then be then one you received in your bag upon buying the store version. Asking to get it MOVED to another character resulted in nice response along "own mistake yada yada". That then resulted in a shitstorm on my part, which then again was topped with a threat of Ban. Nice..

2: One dev suddenly gets this bright idea! Lets make the Coal Wards in the tradebar store drop from 200 to 75 bars!!! Yes!! And they all agreed. Suddenly something happens, and this is now a fatal flaw in the game!! Let's remove it, let's remove all wards!! And they all agreed once again. Why the **** did the Pres Wards have to get thrown into that mix?

3: "Let's be generous, let's let the players have alot of characters!" One dev said through his latte beard. "Brilliant idea" another said, let's make a 80% discount on extra character slots!! "Even better, let's do this 2 times within a few months!!" He continued. "Perfect, this is what we want, we want extra activity on both the server and the gateway, noone will ever think of exploiting this!" The first dev replied. And again, they all agreed. What the **** were you thinking??!

The list continues, and I welcome you all to chime in, as we wait for them to get the gateway back online. :wink:
  • ekinnamonekinnamon Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1 Arc User

“It is no crime to be ignorant of economics, which is, after all, a specialized discipline and one that most people consider to be a ‘dismal science.’ But it is totally irresponsible to have a loud and vociferous opinion on economic subjects while remaining in this state of ignorance.” ― Murray N. Rothbard
  • urabaskurabask Member Posts: 2,923 Arc User

Cryptic has a funny way to resonate:

1: A personal experience is that when the Red Dragon Ioun Stone was brand new, they made it BoE from the Silver Scale store, but also, some idiot made a 2nd version that was BoP, this version with a slightly different name would then be then one you received in your bag upon buying the store version. Asking to get it MOVED to another character resulted in nice response along "own mistake yada yada". That then resulted in a shitstorm on my part, which then again was topped with a threat of Ban. Nice..

2: One dev suddenly gets this bright idea! Lets make the Coal Wards in the tradebar store drop from 200 to 75 bars!!! Yes!! And they all agreed. Suddenly something happens, and this is now a fatal flaw in the game!! Let's remove it, let's remove all wards!! And they all agreed once again. Why the **** did the Pres Wards have to get thrown into that mix?

3: "Let's be generous, let's let the players have alot of characters!" One dev said through his latte beard. "Brilliant idea" another said, let's make a 80% discount on extra character slots!! "Even better, let's do this 2 times within a few months!!" He continued. "Perfect, this is what we want, we want extra activity on both the server and the gateway, noone will ever think of exploiting this!" The first dev replied. And again, they all agreed. What the **** were you thinking??!

The list continues, and I welcome you all to chime in, as we wait for them to get the gateway back online. :wink:

#3 is a load of nonsense and you know it. Botters don't buy character slots because it's an extra cost that reduces their net AD when the account is banned.
    micky1p00 said:

urabask said:

RP also has an upper price, the Flawless Sapphire sold at WB.
    :O forgot about that.

Basically caps the price at 10 million.
    I8r4ux9.jpg
  • alphastreamalphastream Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 209 Arc User
    I really want to see the Gateway return. This is really impacting the fun of the limited time I can dedicate to being in the game itself. If the Gateway stays down, I want a way to vastly speed up running and re-starting these tasks so I can spend my time playing the game.
    Learn more about Dungeons & Dragons tabletop at Alphastream.org.

Learn about Neverwinter and the Lore of D&D on YouTube

Check out my acclaimed adventures for the tabletop D&D game, including my latest: Adamantine Chef: Supreme Challenge! and Jungle Treks or Chultan Death Curse: Revised for Tomb of Annihilation!
  • kaisyn69#1953 kaisyn69 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Really?????? Ok lets figure this out on our own......If this downtime is about "BOTTERS" then why punish everyone? Botters , Goldsellers are everywhere in just about every online mmorpg game....I get at least 5 - 10 ingame emails and private messages a day....I flag the emails and ignore the senders of messages....So the sellers and botters are not hiding They are basically jumping up and down waving their arms screaming " HERE I AM LOOK AT ME" If all regular players ignore them and flag them we can get rid of them as they would be out of bussiness quickly.....who cares how much gold , zen , or ad you have if nobody is buying your product you go broke fast.....The auction house would be next if we "The players" set our own prices at normal rates and flood the AH with multiple items the botters and sellers eventually go broke buying up our sales trying to control the prices....And if the game company did more to catch and punish the botters and sellers instead of punishing everyone we could enjoy our gaming time more.
  • sadus671sadus671 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 204 Arc User

Or maybe some of us don't work punch in / punch out jobs. Maybe some of us work 14 or 15 hours daily, but not continuously. We are also salaried... so we get paid the same if we work 4 hrs or 20 hrs. Keep on rocking those dishes in the back... it's honest, hard work and someone has to do it... but don't pretend to judge people's working situations. It's not uncommon for people to have pockets of downtime. Some people shop Amazon... some people log into the gateway.

Thanks!
    -= Primary Characters =-

- Forge (GF)
    - Apocalypse - (DC)
    - Sadus (OP)
    - Fireball (GWF)
    - Ixian (CW)

Thank you Loadouts for allowing my toons to be all the things... they ever wanted to be....
  • gnatbgnatb Member Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited September 2016

Really?????? Ok lets figure this out on our own......If this downtime is about "BOTTERS" then why punish everyone? Botters , Goldsellers are everywhere in just about every online mmorpg game....I get at least 5 - 10 ingame emails and private messages a day....I flag the emails and ignore the senders of messages....So the sellers and botters are not hiding They are basically jumping up and down waving their arms screaming " HERE I AM LOOK AT ME" If all regular players ignore them and flag them we can get rid of them as they would be out of bussiness quickly.....who cares how much gold , zen , or ad you have if nobody is buying your product you go broke fast.....The auction house would be next if we "The players" set our own prices at normal rates and flood the AH with multiple items the botters and sellers eventually go broke buying up our sales trying to control the prices....And if the game company did more to catch and punish the botters and sellers instead of punishing everyone we could enjoy our gaming time more.

1. You do realize the botters and the spammers are almost certainly on entirely different accounts, right? Probably even different IP's? Banning a spammer doesn't do anything other than force honest players to ignore the (likely automatically created) replacement account. (at least in a F2P game. In an P2P game they lose money each time a char gets banned, which is a *strong* argument why messaging should be restricted to accounts that have paid.)
    2. Obviously, there are less scrupulous players than us actually buying gold from the gold sellers on pretty much every game, otherwise goldsellers would have stopped a Loooong time ago. (Note: I have no clue who these idiots are that are ruining games for both themselves and everybody else, but the evidence demonstrates that they must exist.) And, my 2 cents, it's these people actually buying gold that are the real problem.

But yes, the way to stop botters/spammers is to stop the point of sale. Whether that's managing to find/ban the buyers, prevent them from learning about the sellers (good luck with that), or simply making it impossible to make lopsided transactions. Everything else is pretty much trying to fix a severed leg with a bandaid.

As for the QOL issue of gold spammers?

1. In addition to the normal "URL in the message squelch it", add an option to the client (defaults to on) that uses spelling check/grammar check to squelch any message that isn't close to a real sentence in the language the users client is set to. All their attempts to get around the filter squelching URL's means that message will get caught by this.
    2. If you send a whisper to somebody who doesn't have you on their friends list, isn't in the same party/guild, and who hasn't recently said anything to you/in a public channel, you are automatically globally squelched until they reply or until some number of minutes have passed. With the number of minutes increasing if you get squelched again within a certain amount of time.
    3. Squelch anybody who sends the same message too many times in too short a period. (preferably serverside, but even clientside wouldn't hurt.)
    4. Unless you have to pay to chat, (which I don't think you have to do to chat in this game?) do NOT ban spammers. That just means another name for honest players to ignore

Not sure why they can't have live GMs in the game to do on-the-spot bans of botters. There could be a minute? delay in the chat. As soon as a botter posts, the comment is deleted and never makes it to the chat server and the botter is quickly banned.

Because there are far more spammers/zones than there are GM's, and banning a spammer only hurts innocent players who have to add the replacement to their ignore list. Any solution to an automated problem needs to be automated itself.
  • dupeksdupeks Member Posts: 1,789 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    clonkyo1 said:

I think they will make, again, the worst solution devs come by: remove "RP tasks" from Leadership's Gateway as they did back in the day with rAD tasks, affecting both their own server due the big increase of bots doing scripted professions tasks (after all, a bot can be rewrinten to be up to date) and players, once again, for their bad choices and lack of prevision/anticipation.

As long as we're making predictions... I think they'll remove AH and ZaX access from the Gateway. Or make it read-only.

I don't think professions were the cause here, and I don't really expect them to be effected if the Gateway ever comes up. Hahaha i guess we might never see :P

• pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    I just recently started doing SCA again, shame things went down so soon after. I figure there must have been a pretty catastrophic exploit being done on the Gateway and they panicked, pulling the plug just to be sure. That's probably also why they purged AH Monday.

I'm surprised it's been down this long, but as a software developer, I know these things can take time. I don't really NEED to know how long it will be down, but I would really appreciate hearing WHAT is wrong. It seems like it must be more than one thing. If it was just the AH or just the ZAX, they could disable that and let me roll some dice, but the fact that they are keeping the whole thing down AND refusing to give details is really concerning. It makes me think that it's something so bad and so core to the Gateway that they're not even sure if they CAN fix it.

Strum, ANY actual details you could give us would be greatly appreciated and maybe lower the pitchforks for a time. The silence is being filled with all manner of fear and speculation, and people are starting to blame the company instead of the people causing the problem.
  • carl103carl103 Member Posts: 209 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    3. Squelch anybody who sends the same message too many times in too short a period. (preferably serverside, but even clientside wouldn't hurt.)

They allready have this in place, it's one of the reasons you never see the same bot more than a few messages in a row. Seems to disappear after a random amount of in game time. As for automated banning, in this day and age an actual functional auto ban should work without issue if done properly, the problem is as i understand it it's quite a fair wad of work to code it all.

I just recently started doing SCA again, shame things went down so soon after. I figure there must have been a pretty catastrophic exploit being done on the Gateway and they panicked, pulling the plug just to be sure. That's probably also why they purged AH Monday.

I'm surprised it's been down this long, but as a software developer, I know these things can take time. I don't really NEED to know how long it will be down, but I would really appreciate hearing WHAT is wrong. It seems like it must be more than one thing. If it was just the AH or just the ZAX, they could disable that and let me roll some dice, but the fact that they are keeping the whole thing down AND refusing to give details is really concerning. It makes me think that it's something so bad and so core to the Gateway that they're not even sure if they CAN fix it.

Strum, ANY actual details you could give us would be greatly appreciated and maybe lower the pitchforks for a time. The silence is being filled with all manner of fear and speculation, and people are starting to blame the company instead of the people causing the problem.

I suspect multiple area's of issue, but the AH was almost certainly one given the stuff they've done and what we saw when it came back up. I also wouldn't be surprised to find out bots were running the SCA for companion gear to sell.
    Paingiver is not an acurratte or Useful measure of your actual sustained damage output, (i.e DPS), in various ways it lies. For a true idea use ACT. Link below:

https://github.com/nilsbrummond/Neverwinter-ACT-Plugin
    gnatb said:

Because there are far more spammers/zones than there are GM's, and banning a spammer only hurts innocent players who have to add the replacement to their ignore list. Any solution to an automated problem needs to be automated itself.

They did and they created a big freaking mess. And that happened more than once.
    *** The game can read your mind. If you want it, you won't get it. If you don't expect to get it, you will. ***
  • oldbaldyoneoldbaldyone Member Posts: 1,840 Arc User
    panderus said:

We took it down because automated activity was putting undue pressure on our servers and it was clear that it was risky to leave Gateway up any longer as it was causing performance issues to more than just the Gateway servers. We have been monitoring the amount of RP generated from Leadership and have not identified it as causing enough distortion to the RP economy to make any changes at this time.

We have talked about what to do about Gateway internally and looked into the issue, we plan to have a decision on how to tackle this issue next week.

I want to have more details for everyone by the end of next week on what our plans are. As much as I like Gateway too, we can't let it threaten taking down the rest of the game servers let alone itself.

• panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer

panderus said:

We took it down because automated activity was putting undue pressure on our servers and it was clear that it was risky to leave Gateway up any longer as it was causing performance issues to more than just the Gateway servers. We have been monitoring the amount of RP generated from Leadership and have not identified it as causing enough distortion to the RP economy to make any changes at this time.

We have talked about what to do about Gateway internally and looked into the issue, we plan to have a decision on how to tackle this issue next week.

I want to have more details for everyone by the end of next week on what our plans are. As much as I like Gateway too, we can't let it threaten taking down the rest of the game servers let alone itself.

What he said that I said.
  • reg1981reg1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,435 Arc User
    @panderus Thank you! I don't think it's known just how much a simple communication like this means to us! We really love the gateway :)
    Now, can someone pin that simple announcement in the top of the forum?
    This message will soon disappear in these pages and will be hard for a frustrated user (new to forum) to unearth it.
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    What I don't understand is if you can identify that botting is causing undue stress on the Gateway servers, and your network in general... you must be able to identify the accounts actually doing the botting.

Ban them all. Permanently if necessary. Eventually people will not want to risk their accounts botting the Gateway.

I don't understand all these restrictions being added to the game, restrictions that the people botting will just bot around anyways... all you're doing is mildly inconveniencing the botters while greatly inconveniencing the regular players of the game! :disappointed:
    @samaka#2511

Now, can someone pin that simple announcement in the top of the forum?
    This message will soon disappear in these pages and will be hard for a frustrated user (new to forum) to unearth it.

I believe it's in the process. The other thread asked for it and he said ok I'll close this one :)
  • panderuspanderus Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,007 Cryptic Developer

What I don't understand is if you can identify that botting is causing undue stress on the Gateway servers, and your network in general... you must be able to identify the accounts actually doing the botting.

Ban them all. Permanently if necessary. Eventually people will not want to risk their accounts botting the Gateway.

I don't understand all these restrictions being added to the game, restrictions that the people botting will just bot around anyways... all you're doing is mildly inconveniencing the botters while greatly inconveniencing the regular players of the game! :disappointed:

Sure, but then they make more accounts, continue the behavior and the cycle starts anew. We would prefer to have a preventative solution rather than a reactionary one.

It's too easy for them to make more accounts. Find a way to level the playing field and make the botters lose profits, maybe they'll focus on the next MMO and back off of Neverwinter!
  • samaka#2511 samaka Member Posts: 568 Arc User
    I can understand that, but I don't see how these latest restrictions are going to prevent anything. For example, the gold sellers are now just spamming away from level 15 characters... I don't think the latest restrictions are doing much to stop them.

Botting, on the other hand, is something every MMO has had to deal with, usually with mass-bannings of accounts. Sadly though it will probably always be a bit of an arms race... I just hope that the regular players don't get caught in the cross-fire.

I made a post over in the Player Feedback forum about perhaps changing the AH to a blind system to stop the gold sellers outright. As there is no other way for players to trade AD, except via indirectly the AH, making the AH "blind" should stop the gold sellers outright. This is something other games have done with great effect... getting rid of the gold sellers would also get rid of a lot of bots I would wager! :)
    @samaka#2511
  • lwedarlwedar Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 790 Arc User
    panderus said:

Sure, but then they make more accounts, continue the behavior and the cycle starts anew. We would prefer to have a preventative solution rather than a reactionary one.
    all due respect but it has been 3 years, the preventive solution ship has sailed. Now what we (you and us) have learned is that removing something from the gateway does not solve the issue (AD in leadership).

Why don't you all set up queue system for professions so people can log in once a day and set up all tasks for 24-48 hours in game. Give some power back to your players.
    "we all love this game and want it to thrive"
  • coliercolier Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 119 Arc User
    edited September 2016
    panderus said:

The bad thought on this..is usually in the past by implementing a preventative measure you take away from the legitimate players...it is known history. How much more of the games mechanics do we need to do without in the name of combatting bots?

If some were Permanently Banned hopefully it will get rid of some with tons of AD and Stocked up items. Can't sell if they don't have. Plus, it will show the BOTTERS you are serious. Right now I think they are laughing...because you take away from the players and the bots sell more! in-turn actually helping them.

Forgot to add...there is possibly IP Blocking!
This discussion has been closed.