test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Dress a Dev - LordGar Costume Contest

trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
edited July 2013 in Super News Network
Heroes, for far too long LordGar has been using a thrown-together costume. A Live Producer deserves only the most splendorous of garments, and that's where you come in. We've got action figures and forum titles for winners!

Design LordGar a new costume in-game, and he'll start wearing it. Lord Gar's persona is a little evil, but not over the top, with a red and black color scheme for his costume. He is also afflicted with a pervasive and sickening Britishness.

This is a contest to build an actual costume -- think of it like an in-game CC, not a concept drawing. Screenshot the costume on your own character and post the screens as your entry.

-Prize: 3x Iris Irregular AFs to the winner -- the winner can choose two other recipients for the other two -- and a custom forum title. + 1x LordGar AF, created with the winning design.
-Additional prize: One entrant, randomly chosen, will get an Iris Irregular AF, so participate no matter your skill level!
-When you submit an entry, please provide one or more screenshots of it. If you win, save the costume, export it, and send it our way. LordGar will start wearing it soon.
-No limit on how many entries you can have.

For that matter, I've been using a default avatar for too long, too. Design me an avatar, and I'll pick one to use going forward. If it's especially awesome, I'll make it my new permanent avatar.

-The format has some more flexibility than normal avatars: it can be a little taller, and it could be a gif, if the gif is awesome.
-Submit as many entries as you'd like! No limit.
-Prize: 1x Iris Irregular AF to the winner, your art immortalized as my avatar, and you get a custom forum title.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with! Both of these contests will run from today (6/24) until around 7/3, so make sure to get crackin' on your entry.

-TrailTurtle

P.S. If you're having trouble with images, make sure to upload them to an image hosting site first, then link to them with url.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Sweet! Official contest!:biggrin:
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I'm in.

Costume_gerberatetra_lordgar_contest_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_425520700_zps5628d251.jpg

I needs that forum title ^^

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    nightr0dnightr0d Posts: 450 Arc User
    edited June 2013

Design LordGar a new costume in-game, and he'll start wearing it. Lord Gar's persona is a little evil, but not over the top, with a red and black color scheme for his costume. He is also afflicted with a pervasive and sickening Britishness.

Can you give us more info on what kind of costume he's looking for (ie. Power Armor, Demonic, Angelic/Fallen Angel, Creature, Thighs/Classic Hero/Anti-hero, Non Human etc...). We need to narrow down what he would like because otherwise we just waste time creating a costume he won't be interested in.

The more information you give us as to what he wants/does not want the more precise our entries will be.

P.S: Are Red and Black the only allowed colors or does he want those to be predominant?
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    What's LordGar's powerset?

Given the available data, however, here's a first approximation:

LordGar_zpsc0966627.png
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    shadowzero700shadowzero700 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I went with a pretty straightforward approach

screenshot_2013-06-24-21-38-43_zps48cfb5e6.jpg
  • Options
    fudgemonstafudgemonsta Posts: 1,591 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Just wondering how long this'll be, I threw together three or four costumes and got started on a .gif avatar., and want to know if I need to rush or not.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Both of these contests will run from today (6/24) until around 7/3, so make sure to get crackin' on your entry.

Thar yer go.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • Options
    shadowzero700shadowzero700 Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here's two more for you, trailturtle

screenshot_2013-06-24-22-02-15_zps0ae86b58.jpg

screenshot_2013-06-24-22-02-31_zpsb7a947b0.jpg

Sorry that I didn't make him 20ft tall or something like that
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I present, my Lord Gar entry based on the description of colors and theme that TrailTurtle described:

rbwb.jpg
    8whg.jpg
    a8v8.jpg
  • Options
    flamingbunnymanflamingbunnyman Posts: 2,035 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    xcaligax wrote: »
    I present, my Lord Gar entry based on the description of colors and theme that TrailTurtle described:

Did you just lock the colors and hit the Random button?
    edited June 2013
    nightr0d wrote: »
    Can you give us more info on what kind of costume he's looking for (ie. Power Armor, Demonic, Angelic/Fallen Angel, Creature, Thighs/Classic Hero/Anti-hero, Non Human etc...). We need to narrow down what he would like because otherwise we just waste time creating a costume he won't be interested in.

The more information you give us as to what he wants/does not want the more precise our entries will be.

P.S: Are Red and Black the only allowed colors or does he want those to be predominant?

I'm pretty sure that the LordGar persona is just used when he's doing checks or helping with events, not his personal account. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a set personality or style set up.

He may be a soldier, I used to see him run the default Soldier costumes back in the day.

Red & Black: I'd say predominant, not only allowed.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    Thar yer go.

Blind as a bat this Ling...Alrighty thanks finn.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    monaahirumonaahiru Posts: 3,073 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    screenshot_2013-06-25-18-39-05.jpg
    :3
  • Options
    maleb666maleb666 Posts: 364 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    First Entry!

LordGar01_zpsfc16f12f.jpg

LordGar01f_zpse9f207f5.jpg
    eupmtpu59ppn.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    I'm pretty sure that the LordGar persona is just used when he's doing checks or helping with events, not his personal account. I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a set personality or style set up.

He may be a soldier, I used to see him run the default Soldier costumes back in the day.

Red & Black: I'd say predominant, not only allowed.

Thanks for the reply. So there is no specific category then. That makes things a lot more difficult :eek:. Well if you ever get the chance to ask him if he has a preference in the type of costume he'd like that would be much appreciated.

Guess I'll have to "spam" the thread with costumes since I don't have a direction as to what type of costume he's looking for.
  • Options
    mholds1mholds1 Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Cant seem to put the pic on ?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    2013_06_25_00007.gif2013_06_25_00005.gif

This is my entry for LordGar
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    After gaining some info in later posts I submit a new entry for LordGar's costume later in the thread....

TrailTurtle's new Forum Avatar
    41Vq9Io6BHL._SL500_SS80_.jpg
  • Options
    jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    My entry for TTs avatar... simple but it works :P
    xg1o.jpg
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
  • Options
    kaiserin#0958 kaiserin Posts: 3,102 Cryptic Developer
    edited June 2013
    Lordgar entry.

lordgar_submission.jpg
  • Options
    matixzonmatixzon Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    So, here is my take on Lordgar:
    35cpgug.png
    @mawexzon

I like cats :cool:.

UGC Campaign: The Coldblooded Scrolls
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Why are we dressing up a producer who will be moving on to other work in six months or so like the ones before him, a person 99.9% of the players will never see instead of dressing up the default Archetypes so the game looks awesome to everyone as has been suggested by players many times before?

I'm going to put my foot down now and say you are going in the wrong direction with your community efforts.

Keeping the 1% of players happy for a week in the forums with these kind of things isn't helping the majority who start the game and quit.

Telling people to not play the game and watch you get paid to play the game on streaming video is a waste of everyone's subscription and time. We get paid to play this game to, we don't get paid to watch you play. Just meditate on that.

Short term jerky efforts are like small doses of poison to the long term health of the game. You are wasting the summer months with no advertising, no new content, no new features, no new bargains. Nothing at all to look forward to.
    Taking people's money and letting them play the game is even botched.

"Hey gang dress up that guy who gives you nothing and fixes nothing!", is your solution for this?

Insanity incarnate.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Why are we dressing up a producer who will be moving on to other work in six months or so like the ones before him, a person 99.9% of the players will never see instead of dressing up the default Archetypes so the game looks awesome to everyone as has been suggested by players many times before?

I'm going to put my foot down now and say you are going in the wrong direction with your community efforts.

Why? Because, personally, I think it's fun, and it's something that I can run without much difficulty. There's a limit on how much bandwidth the dev team and our web designers have, and changing the default costume would require a lot of changes. We'd need to change the demonstration images in the C-Store for the item, change which costume is hooked up as the default, change the pictures on the site...

Any time spent on those kinds of changes is time that doesn't get spent on bug fixes, new content, etc. With something this simple, though, it's a fun little contest that requires almost no time investment: I set it up, I check in periodically, I choose a winner, I hand out prizes. It doesn't detract from developing new content, pushing advertising, or setting up sales, because I don't handle any of that stuff.

That being said, it may be that this contest isn't your cup of tea, and I'm sorry that you feel like there isn't something you're interested in right now. What kinds of events are you interested in? I'm always looking for new ideas, although it's worth remembering that the scope of what I can do is pretty narrowly-focused on community events.
  • Options
    nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I call this costume the Sunny Destroid :P

SunnyD_zpsc8c4533c.jpg

FEAR IT! >:C
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • Options
    nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I remember the other people said "I think its fun", doing the things they did that nobody responded to. In that case it was 'inside jokes." that nobody gets, that players don't connect with it and log out and feel no need to log back in.

The people doing that to the game don't work on this game anymore. FYI.
    That being said, it may be that this contest isn't your cup of tea,

Has nothing to do with my cup of tea but what is of value long term to this game and my gluttonous abuse of it.

Don't spoil my punch man, I've been here longer than you, I know what it tastes like when its fresh and when its souring, and right now its starting to grow mold.

A little contest like this one, exactly like this one, but called "DESIGN THE INFERNO", would generate all the same happiness, and if it took three more months to actually put the new inferno into the default for the character editor, well thats just the pipeline, we sure had fun DESIGNING THE INERNO and we'll always be able to point at that good time every time we see that design.

At the end of the year that such content was added it could be bullet pointed "Added community contest generated content to the costume defaults. Aren't we the best devs you've ever had the pleasure of throwing your money at?"

We will never see Lord Gar.
    The average MMO player lasts 40 minutes, the above average for 4 hours, the exceptional for 40.
    Most players under 4 hours, what value is Lord Gar's fancy pants to this game for them?

Adding long term value to this game should be priority.
    Even the appearance of adding long term value should be the priority.
    Short term circle jerks are pissing the players off and they are leaving.
    Its written over and over in the forums, the only communication you have with players. Yes they get happy for a minute over shiny things, but thats the minority of the minority of the minority man. Meanwhile you blow through 4200 new accounts a week.
    You see 4200 people in zone now?
    I asked the 420 in zone who Lord Gar was.
    First answer was something about my Mother's lover, go mom!
    The second, after asking three times, was that he was 'a dev.'
    Ten minutes of blowing smoke about Lord Gar did not produce a conversation about lLord Gar. Just me inviting people to this contest...nobody got curious, nobody connected , nobody is going to log in to see his fancy pants.

Well the twenty or forty of us left in the forums that are reading this.

Anyway, good luck guys. I'm sure you'll make this temp employee look great.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    snip.

You need a hug Mr Happeh Pants ^_^
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Don't agree with you there Nextnametaken. This is a forum event. The forum is used by folk who generally enjoy the game even if we moan to get the point across.
    This is just the same as a normal costume competition that we see daily in Ren Cen except the theme is dress up as a Dev with an impartial judge.

I would live the design an Alert Villian to be introduced again or maybe one day be as lucky as Rockstar for my time on here.

Yes there are bugs, yes something's need addressing, yes I don't like Nerfballing things however the game is still fun for me and need I say Adictive.

The first port of call for me is always the Forum to see the latest moans, tips or build help and so something that adds a bit of fun and 2 minutes of my time to design a costume is not exactly going to put me off the game.

PS I have moaned more than most in the forums/chatrooms
  • Options
    eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Well based on the description, I have a couple of submissions

First - a lordly brit with a wicked monocle:

screenshot_2013-06-25-19-58-54_zps0539cdff.jpg~original

And secondly a more relaxed look - sort of piratey from the Gar part of the name:

screenshot_2013-06-25-19-42-37_zpsf18c27e5.jpg~original

@Liath
  • Options
    sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Lets keep it simple. Im thinking Lordgar just needs to steal Caliga's costume. :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    sockmunkey wrote: »
    Lets keep it simple. Im thinking Lordgar just needs to steal Caliga's costume. :biggrin:

But add some Bows and Ribbons so it looks 100% more manly.
  • Options
    xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    -huge snip of nothing productive-

This is just a design a costume contest. You're blowing it up and bringing in subjects that are completely irrelevant to this. Stop making it weird man.

It's just a costume design contest. Chill out.

Jeez.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Also, update: I linked LordGar to the thread and he's been pretty impressed by the submissions so far. We're adding a LordGar action figure, of the winning design, to the prizes for the winner -- so not only will the winner get that AF, but they'll have designed the AF that LordGar can hand out at future events.
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    Also, update: I linked LordGar to the thread and he's been pretty impressed by the submissions so far. We're adding a LordGar action figure, of the winning design, to the prizes for the winner -- so not only will the winner get that AF, but they'll have designed the AF that LordGar can hand out at future events.

Neat, so now that he saw this thread is there any chance he would give us more info on what kind of costume he'd like? :biggrin:
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    nightr0d wrote: »
    Neat, so now that he saw this thread is there any chance he would give us more info on what kind of costume he'd like? :biggrin:

Here is what information I have gleaned:

-This is a gar.

-That is not the Gar that LordGar is named after, though. He is named after a historical figure from Game of Thrones, mainly from the books.

He may pop in on the thread occasionally, so keep an eye open. :biggrin:
  • Options
    lordgarlordgar Posts: 267 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Here is what information I have gleaned:

-This is a gar.

-That is not the Gar that LordGar is named after, though. He is named after a historical figure from Game of Thrones, mainly from the books.

He may pop in on the thread occasionally, so keep an eye open. :biggrin:

Nah I don't think he'll show.

(the name originally came from Rhaegar Targaryen, but has been shortened over the years)
  • Options
    fantasycharacterfantasycharacter Posts: 458 Arc User
    edited June 2013

That is a pretty nice prize!

And what is that the mighty lordgar has killed in that picture?
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lordgar wrote: »
    Nah I don't think he'll show.

(the name originally came from Rhaegar Targaryen, but has been shortened over the years)

Greetings LordGar, now that I have your attention, could you please provide us with more information regarding the type of costume you are looking for? (ie. Tights/Classic Hero, Power Armor, Non Human, Mystical, Anti-hero, Demonic/Angelic etc...) I would like to make some awesome costumes for you but there are simply too many types of costume. As such, I'd appreciate it if you could narrow it a bit down for us (me :tongue:).

Thank you.
  • Options
    keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    WW8qSep.png
    VjgSSTm.png

My attempt, tried to go with an evil-ish looking British fancyman.

irhcQnX.jpg
    Costume file!
  • Options
    d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I tried for something of a homage/knight look for this one.

Sample pictures of costume
    3f919996-a1a8-4510-bb4b-388e66629eab_zps5f5f2cd8.jpg

Costume File
    Costume_Pyromasher_NoName_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_425511211_zps3f75b2b0.jpg
    ====================================
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
  • Options
    rykus83rykus83 Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    here's my go at it I think I got it all I call it Clockwork Gar

clockworkGar_zps84eb587a.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    lordgar wrote: »

Ohhh, now I know who you're referring to. I didn't know that character by his first name.
  • Options
    gerberatetragerberatetra Posts: 821 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I posted my entry in my original comment and I hope that it's a fresh change from the red and black mass ^^

I think, I 'll leave it at that. I was going to try another but seeing the other entries, nah I'm tapped out.

Here we are now going to the West Side
    Weapons in hand as we go for a ride
    Some may come and some may stay
    Watching out for a sunny day
    Where there's love and darkness and my sidearm

In game as @forgemccain
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    3f919996-a1a8-4510-bb4b-388e66629eab_zps5f5f2cd8.jpg

Hey Dom, what feet are those? Are they from the Forum Malvanum boxes?
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Hey Dom, what feet are those? Are they from the Forum Malvanum boxes?

They were drops from the forum malvanum alert, not the boxs sadly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    So this is my first entry the Crimson Dragon Armor. There is quite a bit of detail to it and it has some special quirks which I will elaborate on.

So this is version 1.0

screenshot_2013-06-25-20-21-53_zps4d587888.jpg

Here you can notice one of the quirks namely on the back it gives the impression you actually have a dragon attached to you (wings and all)

dragon2_zps5e9a0850.jpg

And now my personal favorite version 1.0d(ragon). It's identical with 1.0 except for the head, this one has a more dragon like head.

screenshot_2013-06-25-20-26-01_zpsac157e2e.jpg
    screenshot_2013-06-25-20-16-16_zpse42985ce.jpg

Summary:
    1. Has 3 dragon heads (front, back and shoulder for V.1 and the head itself for V.1d)
    2. The winged dragon on the back
    3. Scales for armor (thighs)
    4. V.1d's head (I find it quite nice)
    5. Take a look at V.1d's mouth (that's all I'm saying :) )

Edit: Added another picture

http://i1279.photobucket.com/albums/y535/Nightr0d/screenshot_2013-06-25-20-22-30_zps19830b82.jpg
  • Options
    edited June 2013
    They were drops from the forum malvanum alert, not the boxs sadly.

Ah, alrighty.

...AUGUST COME FASTER.
    @HangingDeath

Deliciously nutritious!
  • Options
    thebuckeyethebuckeye Posts: 814 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    now that I have some better information behind LordGar's name, I went and reworked the costume I submitted earlier....and here it is

Close Up

screenshot_2013-06-25-21-27-10_zps77037eea.jpg

Tailor View

Costume_Gary_Houdini_BlackKnight_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_425525256_zps6e70df53.jpg

Rear View

screenshot_2013-06-25-21-26-42_zps8266786d.jpg

Front View

screenshot_2013-06-25-21-33-43_zpsc476623f.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Given the updated information (sadly, I haven't read your source material, and don't know the name), here's a second approximation:

LordGar2_zps61ffe1e3.png
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    iTMNGfz.png

I do hope LordGar has an appreciation for simplicity.

Edit: Photobucket hates my guts.
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))