test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Smackwell's Scribbles!

Comments

• kinster2kinster2 Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    i would love for someone to create a artistic cover for some of my heroes........ hell id pay big bucks even

and your artwork is great..... you have allot of talent smackwell
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited September 2013
    kinster2 wrote: »
    i would love for someone to create a artistic cover for some of my heroes........ hell id pay big bucks even

That's actually a good point, you've got a good playful style in your covers. I forget, Smack, do you do commissions?

EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read that you're not doing commissions right now.
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's frickin' sharks with frickin' laser beams on their foreheads! What's not to love?
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    Hey thanks everyone, appreciate the kind words!
    That's actually a good point, you've got a good playful style in your covers. I forget, Smack, do you do commissions?

EDIT: Nevermind, just re-read that you're not doing commissions right now.

Commissions aren't completely off the table right now. As a matter of fact I'm currently working on a commission, and might open up after that!
    biffsig.jpg
  • epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Commissions aren't completely off the table right now. As a matter of fact I'm currently working on a commission, and might open up after that!
    I am pleasantly intrigued by this statement.
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    I... uh... I don't even know.

SharkstronautsCover.jpg

Well now we know what destroyed Krypton.
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,122 Arc User
    edited September 2013

Well, now you've stated this. Mentella and I will be watching you @_@ :biggrin:
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Posts: 3,797 Arc User
    edited September 2013
    It's like a Sharknado - IN SPAAAAAAAAAAACE!!!
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited October 2013
    New one up! My apologies to Bob for following Sharkstronauts with his pic. :biggrin:

I may be starting commissions sometime soonish. I was planning to do so, but changes in personal life have left me with very little time. But I'm still itchin' to draw, so, we'll see.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited October 2013
    New one up! My apologies to Bob for following Sharkstronauts with his pic. :biggrin:

I may be starting commissions sometime soonish. I was planning to do so, but changes in personal life have left me with very little time. But I'm still itchin' to draw, so, we'll see.

Very nice!

If you do start doing commissions/ have time to, that would be great! :biggrin:
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited October 2013
    Niiice, I was wondering when this would be finished. It's cool to see you pushing yourself, this is a definite evolution of your style.
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited October 2013

Oh come now - Sharkstronauts was an awesome pic. I don't mind being after it at all.

And such a fantastic piece you did for me in the end. I'm still at a loss of words over how amazing it ended up.
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited November 2013
    New one up!
    biffsig.jpg
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    I... uh... I don't even know.

SharkstronautsCover.jpg

My first proper commission, for somebob/@bobfromaccounting.

Razira-Wolfgirl_Title_01_Small.png

Sharks in space.. now you just need some matching action figures!:biggrin:

Also that wolfgirl one looks really sick, loving the linework! its so neat o_o
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Wish I had found this section sooner. Just so much talent! Beautiful work, Smackwell, you're a fantastic artist! Love your style! :smile:
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    bump For Demanding More Art!
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    Joseph-oh-my-god.jpg

This kinda makes me sad I didn't take you up on that commission for suggesting Spelunky to you sooner.
    edited February 2014
    I have an almost-done piece I could put up soon. I ended up not really liking the composition of it and it totally put the brakes on working on it. All that's left is adding all the cover doo-dads onto it, and maybe possibly reworking the logo.

Anyway, here's the latest pic I have handy of it. Inks on transparent vellum. Trying different things so that if I screw up the inks I can just start over again. It worked, but it was kinda pain-in-butt-y.

brigcover.jpg

Hates: Composition. Don't know why. There's a couple other characters you can't see yet, but yeah. My hatching. It sucks. With each picture I do I want to lean more and more on doing all shading in the coloring stage. :biggrin: The smudging. That's the thing I do best, smudge inks.

Likes: The fist. Doing that completely in brush was about four funs.

Commissions: Maybe someday. I've started a new SECRET PROJECT that is gonna take some time to complete. :)
    biffsig.jpg
  • agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    That looks less like a "retro comic" and more like a kick-****, old school, pen & paper RPG supplement. Very cool in my opinion, all it's needs is a fake logo and a title like Smackwell's Supers RPG, or something like that.
    AC
    edited February 2014
    Brigade_AltCover.png

My latest work is up, it's an alternate cover for the Brigade comic I'm working on. I'm not sure what it is I dislike about this one, but I dislikes it.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited February 2014
    The only thing that I see missing ( on both covers ) are the Power Turbines Small on each of the Brigade costumes.

On a side note concerning Offender -

Offender-tiny-001.jpg

Never imagined that he was this small. :eek:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited February 2014
    He was disembiggened long ago, Zed. But he got better!

Regarding Brigade's costume, for some reason I draw all my characters' costumes different than how they are in-game. I guess I just draw them how I picture them in my head, as if they weren't created in the game first. Offender's boots and gloves are just made up, Brigade's tights are different (no turbine, different emblem, different colored boots and gloves, different gloves altogether, and his tights pattern doesn't go down his arms. Dung Beetle's head is completely different and he doesn't wear any kind of gloves, Kid Knuckles' tights are totally different, as well as his boots and gloves, and Biff Smackwell is wearing different tights and boots.

I only do the costumes the "right way" when I'm doing other peoples' characters because I don't want to take any liberties on their designs.
    biffsig.jpg
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    I think I know who the mastermind is.....

Brigade_AltCover.jpg
    te-hehe!
    edited May 2014
    Hey folks, got a new one up on the first page, linked here for your viewing convenience! Give it a right-click, View Image to see a higher resolution version.
    Razira-Wolfgirl_Final_LowRes.png
    I think I know who the mastermind is.....

Why did I not see that before? Haha.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Oooh, you've been busy.

Great stuff again!
    ----
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    Another amazing artwork by an awesome artist.

Commission this guy! He makes your characters look cool! :D
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
    edited May 2014
    That's it. I HAVE to ask if you are accepting commissions :wink:

If you are...let's talk :cool:

Very nice art once again :D
    edited May 2014
    Yep, I have a bit more time on my hands nowadays, so I am accepting commissions. I'm still working on prices for pencils, inks, colors, and background, but if you're interested, send me a message and we'll work something out!
    biffsig.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Yep, I have a bit more time on my hands nowadays, so I am accepting commissions. I'm still working on prices for pencils, inks, colors, and background, but if you're interested, send me a message and we'll work something out!
    This is it, guys. The floodgates are opened. Run!

... to this guy.
    ----
    edited May 2014
    Hey, Biff,

I made this for you.
    -
    BIFF-001md.jpg
    -
    Hard to believe this only took me all of a minute to make, huh? :smile:
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
    edited May 2014
    ...all kinds of AWESOME!!! Really great work, Biff! :wink::smile:
    edited May 2014
    And where's that gawdangnabbit Brigade comicbook?!!!
  • sistersiliconsistersilicon Posts: 1,687 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And where's that gawdangnabbit Brigade comicbook?!!!

Give him a break. He's only one man.
    Choose your enemies carefully, because they will define you / Make them interesting, because in some ways they will mind you
    They're not there in the beginning, but when your story ends / Gonna last with you longer than your friends
    edited May 2014
    edited November 2014
    Updated post 5 with some newness!
    More stuff!

Here's a couple of Ratasassin and Mus Sicarius. First up, a little homage to the infamous Days of Future Past cover. And I promise Brou went to a very loving home!
    Rat-Mus-Final_DaysofFuturePast.jpg

Next up is a fight against Mechanon. I had fun with this one, loved the point of view and being able to draw the characters really big in some nice action poses. Took me forever since there was lots of small fiddly bits all around. Also did a kind of Terminator-like HUD for the second version, which was really fun to do, but the extra layers brought my computer to its sad little knees.

Rat-Mus_Mechanon_Original_Final.jpg

Rat-Mus_Mechanon_MechanonUI_Final.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
  • novaninja555novaninja555 Posts: 836 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Dang where did you learn to digitally color? It's friggin awesome.

Oh and you missed out hot dog man.

"Good can be found in heights, even in the deepest pits of evil" but "The valleys of evil always exist in the mountains of good."

~me
    edited November 2014

I really should have added him, huh? :P

I've been coloring my own artwork for years, and picked up techniques here and there (I've been using Photoshop since version 3 (and that's 3.0, not CS3!) so I've had a lot of practice). If you're interested in digital coloring, I highly recommend DC's Comics Guides, most of them are really amazing and informative (I haven't read the "Digitally Drawing Comics" one, and I found the "Creating Comics" one to be just as bad as Stan Lee's "Creating Comics" which was just a hodge-podge of random facts and almost non-sequitur tips and tricks). Head out to Amazon, pick the one that you like, and read on, they're great books. I found the Writing Comics one the most informative and inspirational, personally.

Anyway, yeah, sorry for going off on a tangent, but yeah, take a crack at it, it's fun!
    biffsig.jpg
  • eiledoneiledon Posts: 1,287 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Updated post 5 with some newness!

Mustastic! Absolutely love these and enjoyed the whole process of idea to finished artwork.
  • agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Very nice, I like DOFP homage best but the threat targeting on the variant is a nice touch.
    AC
  • jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,318 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    I'm not sure which is my favorite touch on that poster - the note on Brou, or the notes on Brigade. :smile:
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    jonsills wrote: »
    I'm not sure which is my favorite touch on that poster - the note on Brou, or the notes on Brigade. :smile:

Yeah it's a toss up with me as well. I keep imagining the headache and the confusion Mechanon henchmen are having with these guys.

SLAIN...override....CAPTURED....override....SLAIN....Does not compute...REBOOT...WANTED!

Also we original had Brou neutered but with all the deaths he thought it best to not slay his dog bone.
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Looks amazing!! I have been tempted to try that crisp comic styling in my own coloring so I'll have to take a gander at those books for inspiration :)
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited November 2014
    Thanks everyone! I had a few laughs doing the Days of Future Past one, it was good fun. Credit goes to Ratty for the Brigade gag, I loved it.
    jerax1011 wrote: »
    Looks amazing!! I have been tempted to try that crisp comic styling in my own coloring so I'll have to take a gander at those books for inspiration :)

The technique is really pretty basic, and saves a lot of layer usage (in my older, non-comic work, I had a way of coloring that put each different color on a separate layer). With this technique, all coloring is done on the inks layer. It's efficient and effective, I think.

Basically you turn the scanned inks into black and white (not grayscale, but straight up black and white only). Use a Threshold adjustment layer, adjust the slider so the lines aren't too thick or too wispy, select all, Copy Merged, paste, and you've got your inks/color layer. Use the Pencil tool and Paint Bucket with Anti Alias unchecked to fill in colors. A big benefit of this style is that you can easily fill in colors without worrying about anti-aliasing halos, tweaking colors by using a non-contiguous paint bucket. Once I've got the base colors in, shading and highlights are a snap, because you can quickly and easily select the color you want to shade, and not worry at all about staying in the lines.

I'd only use this on artwork that's going to be reduced on-screen though, because pixely lines are not pretty.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited November 2014

Yeah, Biff. He was in ever one of the Mech fights I manged to get into. Like the man said,

Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it! Fix it!

:tongue:

jk - Great job.
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • jerax1011jerax1011 Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    The technique is really pretty basic, and saves a lot of layer usage (in my older, non-comic work, I had a way of coloring that put each different color on a separate layer). With this technique, all coloring is done on the inks layer. It's efficient and effective, I think.

Basically you turn the scanned inks into black and white (not grayscale, but straight up black and white only). Use a Threshold adjustment layer, adjust the slider so the lines aren't too thick or too wispy, select all, Copy Merged, paste, and you've got your inks/color layer. Use the Pencil tool and Paint Bucket with Anti Alias unchecked to fill in colors. A big benefit of this style is that you can easily fill in colors without worrying about anti-aliasing halos, tweaking colors by using a non-contiguous paint bucket. Once I've got the base colors in, shading and highlights are a snap, because you can quickly and easily select the color you want to shade, and not worry at all about staying in the lines.

I'd only use this on artwork that's going to be reduced on-screen though, because pixely lines are not pretty.

Gotcha! And I totally understand the layering thing... some of the more complicated stuff can number in the hundreds until I'm finished with the shading stages. I tend to actually block out the highlights and shading in a similar fashion to comic art, I just blend it together for my finished look. So once I get the bug to color some more, I'll see what comes out with practice :P
    EU5doX8.jpg
    @Aleatha1011 in CO | Keeper of the Cheesecake since Nov. 2011| Bunni BOT is on PRIMUS! | Come check out my deviantart page!
    edited November 2014
    Wow! These look just… so awesome, like on another level. In love with the coloring, also! <3

Outstanding job, @biff!!! icon14.gif
    edited December 2014
    New one up, this one is was commissioned by @ravenforce. Was very fun doing a two personality split with the character, something I hadn't done before, as well as an ensemble-style piece.

Joule_Final_Small.jpg

New one up on post 6!
    biffsig.jpg
    edited December 2014
    Is that how Joule really looks? Did not think that you could split a costume in that exact way.

Either way, WOW!
    ZedBlock-200.jpg
  • blackwolf305blackwolf305 Posts: 169 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Amazing job