Comments

• Options
    spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    Awesome!!! :wink::smile:icon14.gif
  • Options
    biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Whatups, got some new artwork here, hope you all likes!
    Well lookee here, I been busy!

New one up from @DaZee/gradii! Sylviana being puppeted (is that a word? it is now!) by Istvatha V'han, Queen Jerk of the Gadroon. Gotta love some classic tights heroes (at least, I do!) This one had a good number of challenges, but in the end I'm real happy how it came out.

Sylviana.jpg

Up next, some more mighty tighty action, with a classic Fastball Special with Wheelman (@epelesker) being chucked by Colosso (@MrMirage). Some more great characters to draw, nice and classic, just the way I like it! I've got a few more coming from @epelesker, so stay tuned and stuff! :P

Wheelman.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    agentcanadaagentcanada Posts: 775 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Very nice, the depth on the fastball special is especially nice.
    AC
  • Options
    epeleskerepelesker Posts: 307 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    He already knows this, but I am very excited for what's coming next, and beyond.

Thank you again, Smacks!
    ----
    Heroic Roleplayer @epelesker | PRIMUS Database Moderator | Brigade Advocate
  • Options
    iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    These all look great, but when did you start taking commissions? The last time I asked, you told me you didn't feel you were ready, but you'd let me know.

Unless that conversation was all in my head or something.

Heh. :biggrin:
  • Options
    theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,081 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Is that how Joule really looks? Did not think that you could split a costume in that exact way.

Either way, WOW!

Hehe, Joule wears a full version of the costume on her right. The commission was to give a little more insight into what's happening in her story arc (which is still on going).

:smile:
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    iamrune wrote: »
    These all look great, but when did you start taking commissions? The last time I asked, you told me you didn't feel you were ready, but you'd let me know.

Unless that conversation was all in my head or something.

Heh. :biggrin:

Well, I posted about it I think in February, in that one thread about artists for hire. Thought everyone would see that... guess not! :P

I've got three pieces on my plate at the moment, but feel free to hit me up if you want. I might be putting commissions on hold to work on comic stuff.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2015
    Another one up!
    Uno mas! Another of @epelesker's characters, Atomac! Very pleased with how this one came out. Nice big shot of the main guy front-and-center, and a big ol' ugly face getting punched out! And a nice, classic sound effect to top it all off!

Atomac_02.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    gradii wrote: »
    Shrinking is fun and all but I think a bigger fist might be more effective :tongue:
    Increased density. Jack Power used to use that to good effect a few times (an attack he called the "Jack Hammer").
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Since I imagine he's going to update the upthread eventually with this, I'm going to present the next piece in the commission spree I've been up to with Smackwell.
    b79a28e2-8c53-4433-9273-8230aca19c4a_zpsf2df38ec.png
    A hero clad in whites is engaging in a high-octane chase through the streets of the City, but it's garnered some unwanted attention from the mob! Luckily, his backup isn't far behind...

I haven't had much experience with fleshing out his character just yet, but I do imagine Poltermask to be a more gritty, pulp-esqe kind of hero. The scene is very in your face and guns blazing, and also captures a small essence of his powers withh some well-placed transparency.

And now I'm going to shut up because I'm not the artist. Enjoy~! :D
    ----
  • Options
    kallethenkallethen Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Oh, wow, I love that. Looking at the piece makes me think of a combination of The Shadow, **** Tracy, and ooooold school Batman. Mostly the first two.

*thumbsup*
    100% of the world is crazy, 95% are in denial.

• Options
    jonsillsjonsills Posts: 6,317 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    kallethen wrote: »
    Oh, wow, I love that. Looking at the piece makes me think of a combination of The Shadow, **** Tracy, and ooooold school Batman. Mostly the first two.

*thumbsup*
    I was put more in mind of the Shadow and the Spirit. Definitely pulp-hero time. Very nice.
    "Science teaches us to expect -- demand -- more than just eerie mysteries. What use is a puzzle that can't be solved? Patience is fine, but I'm not going to stop asking the universe to make sense!"

- David Brin, "Those Eyes"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Doi! Forgot to post this one!

Thanks guys! I really liked how this one came out, especially considering what a total creative block I've been going through for quite a while now. I loved the look of this character instantly, and couldn't wait at the chance to jump in, and then BAM! I got nothing. Haha.

Expect some more, soon!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    Couple new ones up! (Well, one you've already seen!) Enjoy!
    And two more from @epelesker! First up we have Poltermask! I really dug the pulp action hero vibe this guy gives off, but for the longest time I couldn't think of a good situation to put him in. I finally landed on this one, and I think it came out pretty great!

Poltermask_Small.png

Next up is Sludd! This one gave me more trouble than any of the others, but we finally nailed it down to this, which both Epelesker and I were really happy with. Coloring on this one took a good long time. Sometimes a "simple" idea I have in my head turns out to be not as simple as I thought!

Sludd_Small_02.png
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    Couple new ones up! (Well, one you've already seen!) Enjoy!

These are both great!

I dont know much about Sludd but his personality shows through this drawing. I bet he only says, "SLUDD!"
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    These are both great!

I dont know much about Sludd but his personality shows through this drawing. I bet he only says, "SLUDD!"
    Nope! Has residual empathic powers, though. (It's a long story.)

And thus comes to a close our great partnership. Really, this guy's a blast-- took it all like a champion and everything. Smacks did all the heavy lifting for this, to be sure, but the entire process felt like a creative collaboration between us both. Sometimes our ideas just fed off each other, sometimes there was just one spark that set off an entire piece into a new direction.

Also, I have a list for next time. PREPARE YOURSELVES. In maybe a few months.
    ----
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    epelesker wrote: »
    Smacks did all the heavy lifting for this, to be sure, but the entire process felt like a creative collaboration between us both. Sometimes our ideas just fed off each other, sometimes there was just one spark that set off an entire piece into a new direction.

That's how I work best, and is one of the reasons why I don't impose a revision limit when I do commissions - because I really want everyone to be happy with the finished product. It's how I do my comic writing as well. Having a second set of eyes and/or ears on a project is extremely helpful.

It was a good, fun time working on all of these, just wish I'd have been able to get them done faster!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The Sludd one looks great, but I have to ask if that some random crud on sludd's chin or is he making an "oooh" face?
    AC
  • Options
    edited February 2015
    The Sludd one looks great, but I have to ask if that some random crud on sludd's chin or is he making an "oooh" face?
    AC
    The glowy things on his head are his eyes. I did give art direction to focus most of his expression there, though... I might be able to see what you're getting at?

I think that wayward line that's towards the right side of the head is his mouth, if I were to wager a guess.
    ----
  • Options
    novarockznovarockz Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited February 2015
    OoO I need money! This is freaking amazing.:biggrin:
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hey for anyone that's interested, I put all my junk up on Deviant Art.

http://smackwell.deviantart.com/

@AC, that is a little piece of crud on the chin, and like Epelesker said, Sludd is trying to make a smile on the left side of his face there. I can remove that little crud there if you'd like, E. :smile:
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    This interests me GREATLY.

#ihaveamightyneed
    ----
  • Options
    lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hey for anyone that's interested, I put all my junk up on Deviant Art.

http://smackwell.deviantart.com/

@AC, that is a little piece of crud on the chin, and like Epelesker said, Sludd is trying to make a smile on the left side of his face there. I can remove that little crud there if you'd like, E. :smile:

Already started watching your profile.. heh
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • Options
    prestochangoprestochango Posts: 196 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'll be watching!
  • Options
    ealford1985ealford1985 Posts: 3,582 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I'll be watching!

*As he whispers from outside the window in the nude*
  • Options
    xydaxydaxydaxyda Posts: 817 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I think the little bit of crud on sludds chin gives a whole new interpretation of the image... if that is his mouth it makes him look a little sad and unsure about what he is doing... like why is this lady yanking the kid away, I only wanted to give him his toy?
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Aww, the more people that are mentioning this whole thing about Sludd's face, the more that it makes sense.
    ----
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I am all about leaving a little ambiguity in artwork btw, that is just a personal preference.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Hey like I said, if you prefer, I will update it to remove the crud. Lord knows I'm not perfect and I don't get it right every time (we learned this many times during these commission projects :biggrin:) so just say the word!
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    spordeliaspordelia Posts: 460 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    These are really amazing!!! Great job! icon14.gif
  • Options
    deadman20deadman20 Posts: 1,529 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Looking good, may consider requesting a commission sooner or later. My wallet is notorious for becoming empty after taking care of bills and other expenses, but we'll see what happens.
    Steam Guide to Modifications and Equipment (Champions Online) - DZPlayer's Builds (Last updated: 3/26/2018)
    And I will always be @DZPlayer122.

• Options
    edited March 2015
    New one added!
    Here's a quickie (ish) sketch for numaman1990 of his character Sea Lancer! I really liked this costume so it was a delight to draw. Was fun working in just pencils again, hadn't done that for a long time!

SeaLancer_Pencils.png
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    I dig it. So strange to look at these pieces based off of characters in CO and being able to identify some of the various costume pieces from the game.. I could probably identify a piece as being artwork based off a CO character from that alone.

I like that though. Keep up the good work. Your artwork has the classic Kirby vibe but with a style all your own.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    xydaxyda wrote: »
    I dig it. So strange to look at these pieces based off of characters in CO and being able to identify some of the various costume pieces from the game.. I could probably identify a piece as being artwork based off a CO character from that alone.

I like that though. Keep up the good work. Your artwork has the classic Kirby vibe but with a style all your own.

Thanks! Yeah it's pretty funny when drawing them, too, seeing pieces you've drawn before, like Wolf Girl and Mus Sicarius' belts. :P

And thanks about the style, too, that's kind of what I shoot for. I really love the way they did artwork back in the day, but try to put my own spin on it.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    The Sea Lancer on is really good and the foreshortening on the arm is perfect.
    AC
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    Thanks, guys! I was actually really happy with how it turned out, since I hadn't done any "finished" pencil work in a long time.
    biffsig.jpg
  • Options
    numaman1990numaman1990 Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    I am very pleased with the artwork myself smackwell!
    Keep up the good work and thanks again for drawing Sea Lancer :)
  • Options
    krimsonklownkrimsonklown Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited March 2015
    Hello, Mr. Smackwell, your art is pure amazing. Like damn.
  • Options
    edited March 2015
    By popular demand! (Or because someone mentioning it made me see the point~)

Smacks did make a minor change to the Sludd piece in that highly contested face area, so I figured I'd post it up again so you could see the difference.

Sludd_smackwell_zpsobjgaiup.png
    ----