test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Smackwell's Scribbles!

biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
edited March 2015 in Fan Base Alpha
So, for training to create a comic book in the most classic manner I can muster, I've taken to learning how to ink by hand. In so doing, I have initiated a covert plan to create fan art of the various heroes that have been made known to me as friends or those heroes who have a "presence" on the forums. These are mostly unsolicited.

The intent with these is to develop a style that's part 60's and 70's comic books, and part my own.

I am posting these in chronological order in which they were started.

I've been asked about commissions, and at the moment, am not taking them since I'm still in practice mode. Perhaps when I feel the inking is done well enough, I might start taking them.

All finished pictures can be clicked for larger versions. All unfinished pictures look crappy because I take snapshots from my phone because I'm too lazy to scan them every day.

Now, on with the art!

First we have the Outrageously Objectionable Offender, shortly after being kicked out of the Great Race for trying to pass off a living being as a vehicle.
GravitarOffender_Thumbnail.jpg

Next up, we've got the Fantastically Fashionable Finnish being blasted away at by... well, who knows? But they have blasty beams! I drew this just before he announced he was taking a break from the game and forums. Because he hates me.
Finnish_Thumbnail.png

And now I present you the Ravishingly Ruthless Razira, possibly punishing her prey for wearing green PSI tights.
Razira_Thumbnail.png

Next up I drew Crimson Bolt, in memory of Loren Trevers, known around here as Angel of Caine. This one should be finished with colors this weekend.
CrimsonBoltInk.jpg
biffsig.jpg
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• biffsmackwellbiffsmackwell Posts: 4,739 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Next in line is our very own Thundrax, that Courageous Canuck! There's a bit of asymmetry going on in the face area that I'm not too fond of, and will fix once I get this bad boy into Photoshop! I had a blast inking this one. Almost all the ink was done with a brush pen. Quite fun!
    ThundraxInk.jpg

And finally, our own Already Alliterative Iris Irregular! Guess what I didn't use while inking this? A ruler. Guess what I should have used while inking this? A ruler. This one is only partially inked, and I will probably use a ruler on the rest of it. Either way, all them wavy lines will be fixed in Photoshop!
    IrisInkWIP.jpg

Well, it turns out I left all my artwork at work. So I can't scan or continue inking these works in progress. So, I drew up a couple more. First up! Biff Smackwell about to make someone's hay! I enjoyed drawing and inking Thundrax so much, that I wanted to do another big tough guy. And here he is! This time I actually pre-planned the line weights. I think it's coming out pretty well!

Biff Inks! I used a brush pen for all of this picture, save for the tights pattern. Everything else, including the face (the finest details of the piece) are done with the brush pen. I'm emphasizing this because it is so fun to work with! I think this turned out great. However looking at this piece again, I think Biff's waist is a bit too thin and will be widened in Photoshops.

Oops I forgot to widen the waist. Oh well. Here's the finished piece!
    Biff_Thumbnail.png

Original Inks Here

Updated pencils Here

Previous pencils Here

As you can see, I'm also trying out some different paper. I was just using some ghetto printer paper before, and this stuff is like, fancy pants. I want to see if ink bleeds less on these, since it was bothering me in the other pics. Here is a very statuesque Real Soviet Damage! Still some tweaks to be made here.

Inks.
    RSDinks.png

A few tweaks were made to embiggen RSD a bit. Here is the previous sketch.

Here is the previous sketch.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    So here's a new one! I sketched these two characters out last night as a test (I wanted to draw these characters in a more cartoony, less-detailed way). It was my first test on them, but I liked it so much that I decided to go full power on it and do a whole cover thingy.

Only problem I have with this one is that Kid Knuckles should be much shorter, but hey, we can pretend he got artificially aged by the leader of the Bad Guys, right? ;D

STU_Cover.png

Here's a quickie I just finished for The WildCards supergroup. They just had their 4th year anniversary. I loved their costume so I decided to draw it up!
    wildcards_comp.png

Woop! My first full-page sequential. This is something that actually happened to me during the mission Gunning for Control of Westside, while playing on this character. It just painted such a funny picture that I never forgot it - the citizen running down the sidewalk in hysterics, and the ensuing violence. Well it was in my head for over a year and had always wanted to do something with that. I decided this would be a fun way to practice laying out a comic book page. (I think I could have used a lot more practice before going to final inks, but I'm impatient!) Pencils and inks were done by hand, colors, letters and sound effects in Photoshop, and speech balloons in Illustrator. Enjoy!

CommandoMuscleJusticeR1.png

Brigade.png
    New one! Had this one sitting around inked for a while, decided to throw some color on it. This is what Brigade's costume looks like in the comic book (so far). I've been debating adding a chest emblem, or adding some details to his sleeves. Also, this one features my awesome new signature! SIGNED IN CRAYON!!! :D
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    I... uh... I don't even know.

SharkstronautsCover.jpg

My first proper commission, for somebob/@bobfromaccounting.

Razira-Wolfgirl_Title_01_Small.png

New one of a couple of my characters.

FreedomFox-FightGirls_Cover.png

New guy up. Kinda hate it. Don't know why:

Brigade_AltCover.png
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Here's a new one, a couple of familiar faces, Razira and Wolfgirl! This one was a lot of fun to work on. I tried all kinds of new stuff with it. Used new inking and shading techniques, painted some Pro White onto small mistakes (and also some bad choices), used my dip pens (something I hadn't tried yet) over the Pro White to ink over it without screwing up my "normal" pens, as the paint can clog up the tips (these are the pens in question - they are so damn smooth, never used a better pen in my life!), and I even made custom rulers to get the lines on the bow nice and smooth, since I can't draw a decent curve to save my life. I kinda went overboard on the background in this one. All them little trees. I don't wanna draw a tree again for a good, long while! Haha. This piece also marks one of my greatest achievements - doing an entire piece in ink and not smudging once! I know it doesn't sound like much, but I'm a wanted smudge perpetrator, but this time, I'm coming clean! Okay enough jib-jabs, let's make with the arty stuff!

Give it a right-click, View Image to see a higher resolution version.

Razira-Wolfgirl_Final_LowRes.png

More stuff!

Here's a couple of Ratasassin and Mus Sicarius. First up, a little homage to the infamous Days of Future Past cover. And I promise Brou went to a very loving home!
    Rat-Mus-Final_DaysofFuturePast.jpg

Next up is a fight against Mechanon. I had fun with this one, loved the point of view and being able to draw the characters really big in some nice action poses. Took me forever since there was lots of small fiddly bits all around. Also did a kind of Terminator-like HUD for the second version, which was really fun to do, but the extra layers brought my computer to its sad little knees.

Rat-Mus_Mechanon_Original_Final.jpg

Rat-Mus_Mechanon_MechanonUI_Final.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    New one up, this one is was commissioned by @ravenforce. Was very fun doing a two personality split with the character, something I hadn't done before, as well as a ensemble-style piece.

Joule_Final_Small.jpg

Well lookee here, I been busy!

New one up from @DaZee/gradii! Sylviana being puppeted (is that a word? it is now!) by Istvatha V'han, Queen Jerk of the Gadroon. Gotta love some classic tights heroes (at least, I do!) This one had a good number of challenges, but in the end I'm real happy how it came out.

Sylviana.jpg

Up next, some more mighty tighty action, with a classic Fastball Special with Wheelman (@epelesker) being chucked by Colosso (@MrMirage). Some more great characters to draw, nice and classic, just the way I like it! I've got a few more coming from @epelesker, so stay tuned and stuff! :P

Wheelman.jpg

Uno mas! Another of @epelesker's characters, Atomac! Very pleased with how this one came out. Nice big shot of the main guy front-and-center, and a big ol' ugly face getting punched out! And a nice, classic sound effect to top it all off!

Atomac_02.jpg
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    And two more from @epelesker! First up we have Poltermask! I really dug the pulp action hero vibe this guy gives off, but for the longest time I couldn't think of a good situation to put him in. I finally landed on this one, and I think it came out pretty great!

Poltermask_Small.png

Next up is Sludd! This one gave me more trouble than any of the others, but we finally nailed it down to this, which both Epelesker and I were really happy with. Coloring on this one took a good long time. Sometimes a "simple" idea I have in my head turns out to be not as simple as I thought!

Sludd_Small_02.png

Here's a quickie (ish) sketch for numaman1990 of his character Sea Lancer! I really liked this costume so it was a delight to draw. Was fun working in just pencils again, hadn't done that for a long time!

SeaLancer_Pencils.png
    biffsig.jpg
  • sekimensekimen Posts: 306 Arc User
    edited April 2013
  • d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Wow, these are pretty awesome Smackwell, love your comic style :biggrin:

One question of curiosity, how long have you been drawing for now??
    ====================================
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
    edited April 2013
    Wow, these are pretty awesome Smackwell, love your comic style :biggrin:

One question of curiosity, how long have you been drawing for now??

Started drawing some 25 years ago. Been drawing "good enough" for about 15 years. Started by just copying superheroes from comic books. I've been inking now for about a month or so.

And thanks guys for the compliments!
    biffsig.jpg
  • xcaligaxxcaligax Posts: 1,096 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Stop Stealing Drawing Superpowers From Artists!
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    HOLY F***!
    Someones been busy.
    Snazzy linework.
    Now start making some easy cash. After these ones ofcourse :biggrin:

Hate you, dood.

And nice derplion coat of arms emblem on The Finnish.
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • bluhmanbluhman Posts: 2,410 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Exquisite pictures, Smacky! Got a great hand at comicy shading and style!
    How to block a user with μblock:
    forum.arcgames.com##.Comment:has(.CommentHeader:has-text(username))

edited April 2013
    Thanks all! I appreciate the compliments. Also, if anyone has any critiques on the pictures, I'm always open to hearing it!
    flyingfinn wrote: »
    And nice derplion coat of arms emblem on The Finnish.

And here I thought I was doing the character justice! :biggrin:
    biffsig.jpg
  • taintedmesstaintedmess Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Nice artwork smackwell
  • randomchance4242randomchance4242 Posts: 195 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Dang, Smackwell... these are friggin awesome!

Looking forward to seeing more.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, guys!

Hopefully many more to come.
    biffsig.jpg
  • c3rvand0c3rvand0 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Absofookkin amazing Smacks! Just one small critique...where's mine :tongue:
    _______________________________________________________________________[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • iamruneiamrune Posts: 965 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I don't have useful critique for you, you already work in my preferred style of actual tights wearing heroes, and I think the work you do is clean and crisp.

Carry on, and good luck on the hand inking.
  • stmothstmoth Posts: 284 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just to echo everyone else, your artwork is flat out wonderful. Huge fan of the clean lines and overall feel of your work.
    edited April 2013
    Many more thanks!

I have a mental list going of characters I'm going to do, but I'm only doing tights and almost-tights (like the bear up there!).

Also, I just realized i have to redraw the torso on Biff. I sat down to ink him and realized his torso should be twisting, but right now it just looks like he's leaning back. RRRGGG. I loved how the lines looked. Oh well! Might update again tonight.
    biffsig.jpg
  • somebobsomebob Posts: 980 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I've said it before and I'll say it again - your artwork is just epic and totally fitting the Champions world.

Oh, and thanks for the pic. It is awesome. :D
    Owner and Lead Moderator for the Primus Database. Post your Hero today!
    Razira's Primus Database Page
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Love your RSD, and thanks for doing Thundrax!
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • flyingfinnflyingfinn Posts: 8,408 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    MORE MULLET!?..
    Replacing the MORE TIGHTS!!
    :biggrin:
    CHAMPIONS ONLINE:Join Date: Apr 2008
    And playing by myself since Aug 2009
    Godtier: Lifetime Subscriber
    tumblr_n7qtltG3Dv1rv1ckao1_500.gif
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, dudes!

Updated Biff with new twisty torso! It was painful to have to erase good lines, but I think the end result is pretty good.
    biffsig.jpg
    edited April 2013
    Inks on the last two pieces are up!
    biffsig.jpg
  • canadascottcanadascott Posts: 1,257 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Gorgeous work, Smacks!
    /CanadaBanner4.jpg
  • duratokgorehowlduratokgorehowl Posts: 52 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Awesome work, buddy boy!

Do you still have the one that you were making for Duratok lying around?
  • lilsteffielilsteffie Posts: 598 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ah Biff these are fantastic! And that sketch of RSD.. wow i cant even do that..

So a question towards your work, how'd you start learning to draw like that? Did you enroll in art classes or self taught? o-o

Either way i love all of these! keep it up :D
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Handle:@XG3NX

Champions Online.. where we sell lockboxes by the dozen.
  • nephtnepht Posts: 6,883 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Awesome thread overload....

943174728d1244824330-irc-thread-lulz-so_much_win_graphic.png
    nepht_siggy_v6_by_nepht-dbbz19n.jpg
    Nepht and Dr Deflecto on primus
    They all thought I was out of the game....But I'm holding all the lockboxes now..
    I'll......FOAM FINGER YOUR BACK!
  • theravenforcetheravenforce Posts: 7,065 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I really love your drawing style, its pretty awesome..say..do you do commissions?

Cause...Mentella...lol:biggrin:
  • keikomystkeikomyst Posts: 626 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Holy crap.

These are all fantastic. :O I never would have guessed Biff was an epic artist...

*proceeds to beg to get one of her characters done*
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, everyone!
    Do you still have the one that you were making for Duratok lying around?

I've been thinking about this one, actually. Once I started doing all this inking business I wanted to finish up that one I owed you. So I looked for it and can't find it. It's lost in the stacks of paper I've got all around my worky work place.

So even though I can't find that particular piece, I've been thinking of just doing a whole new one, more of a pin-up style thing like I've been doing recently, so that means less background but more character. I guess what I'm trying to say is that even though you're not TIGHTS!!!, you're on the list :P

lilsteffie wrote: »
    So a question towards your work, how'd you start learning to draw like that? Did you enroll in art classes or self taught? o-o

Either way i love all of these! keep it up :D

When I was in my early teens I started copying superheroes off of comic books. This helped me learn body structure and how muscles relate to and affect each other. I drew and drew and drawed all the time for years. It wasn't until the 2000's where I felt that my artwork was good enough to be taken seriously.

I failed a lot of my art classes, actually, because I wasn't interested in what they were teaching. So I'm mostly self taught, with a lot learned from my brother.

Raven - no commissions yet. Still learnin'!

Sek - Glad you like!

I'm going to try to get at least one more piece up today. Kinda a busy day so it could go either way.
    biffsig.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    So jelly right now... But I can still admire the work. Nice work, Biffy.
  • kharma23kharma23 Posts: 403 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Those are all kinds of awesome fun! great work! I look forward to seeing more in the future.

Iris is my favorite so far, ruler or not :wink:

You're a lunatic with a mad man's dream of a milk proof robot!

I finished Biff. As you can see, I came up with a clever ruse to fill up all that blank space and explain why he's just standing there posing for a punch. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • jennymachxjennymachx Posts: 3,000 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Careful there Offender! Don't pull too hard! You might rip off Gravitar's outfit! :eek:

Such awesome artwork Biff. I think my favorite is Razira's. The dominant, animalistic pose and background did it for me.
  • d0m1nusdrak3d0m1nusdrak3 Posts: 242 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Still have to say, your work looks very professional, especially with how it looks authintically comicy(if thats even a way to describe it). I mean, heck you could do a comic and it would look like something a famous comic book writer would draw. Im pretty anxious to see more of your work.:biggrin:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Dominus Drake Primus Database ,Also @Pyromasher ingame
  • sockmunkeysockmunkey Posts: 4,504 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yea, seriously. Dont sell yourself short. Id buy this stuff. Pure jealously inducing awesomesauce here.
  • sumthindarksidesumthindarkside Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I have to say not to worry about commissions. You are already really good.

I actually love your art style.

Well, if you aren't taking commissions yet... do you need more heroes to practice on? cause I'm more than willing to volunteer some of mine. :tongue:
  • chalupaoffurychalupaoffury Posts: 2,553 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Amazing stuff, smack. Spectacular, even.
    In game, I am @EvilTaco. Happily killing purple gang members since May 2008.
    dbnzfo.png
    RIP Caine
  • nextnametakennextnametaken Posts: 2,212 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Looks great but could use more Wolverine.
  • trailturtletrailturtle Posts: 5,496 Perfect World Employee
    edited April 2013
    Holy crap that Iris is awesome.
  • pion01pion01 Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    RSD looks amazing, man, and Razira's pose is fantastic.

On Iris - I think it actually looks better without using a ruler, it makes the stone look weathered and used rather than weirdly crisp and sharp. It makes it look more alive
  • cascadencecascadence Posts: 505 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Whoa this is seriously cool drawings... this thread so went into my bookmarks.

Great job Biff!!! want to see more!!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Click up there if you want to find more about the costumes behind my heroines.
  • nivjinivji Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    As good as a professional, i'm impressed.
  • thereldinthereldin Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    These are some seriously nice pics, smackwell. Can't wait to see more!
  • meedacthunistmeedacthunist Posts: 2,961 Arc User1
    edited April 2013
    I like those crisp linearts, proper line weight and nice black and white contrast, and clean colors.
    Which is imho how action comic books should be made.
    edited April 2013
    Thanks, all! I really appreciate your kind words!

I'm hoping this weekend will be nice and relaxing, and will allow me to finish up some of these pieces. And also, hopefully put up some more sketches!
    pion01 wrote: »
    On Iris - I think it actually looks better without using a ruler, it makes the stone look weathered and used rather than weirdly crisp and sharp. It makes it look more alive

You're right, but... that's supposed to be all metal. :biggrin: I think that background is going to end up with a LOT of black ink all over it. :P
    biffsig.jpg
  • kemmicalskemmicals Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    .... Dunno why I keep coming back to this even though all it'll do is make me jelly that I can't quite do the same level as work as you. :(