test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    After suffering from lag and rubberbanding since the head start, I logged in today, 2 hours ago and was having a good run until about 30 minutes ago when the rubberbanding started.

I did an instanced quest went to leave the instance, and the loading screen got stuck...I left the PC for about 5 minutes and it hadnt moved at all so I quit out. Went to log back on and bang 'Trying to update the launcher" after a while I got a patcher error box pop up something about the connection being idle.
    edited September 2009
    I, too, am using Comcast. It seems odd that other Comcast users are having the same problem...
    edited September 2009
    ditto on the problem, started happening today...
    edited September 2009
    I just started getting this, this morning.

EDIT: I have verizon though and not comcast.
    edited September 2009
    I would suggest we chill and look at this as an un scheduled 2 hour maintenance or so. If it goes much past that then yeah kick up a stink.
    edited September 2009
    haha i dont know but maybe the servers cant have more players ? could this be a problem ??]
    edited September 2009
    Just when I thought: "Hey, maybe I didn't waste $50." This happens.

Small problems and bugs are to be expected with any new game, but a problem of this magnitude really shows a lack of quality. When a problem such as this is detected, it should be a sticky - if not front page news.

Let us know you are aware of the problem at least!

Most likely culprit: Lack of leadership in their Operations Department. Fire whoever is asleep at the wheel here.
    edited September 2009
    Everyone chill. As a long time veteran of MMO's I can tell ya that this happens the first few months.

Just post on here "cant connect, or having this issue" and any technical advice you can find and leave it at that.

Don't be so egocentric as to think cryptic is going to come to you and go "-pat pat- it'll be ok scamp were on this!"

For all you know the devs are already working on it and just aren't bothering to post it on here.

Get a lil irritated when I see a game less then a week old with all these people having all this self-entitlement. "We pay your wages answer us rawr kew;ajfkawe;jkwa, im gonna quit cuz of one bug that'll be fixed in no time... rawr"

:p
    edited September 2009
    Just had this problem come up tonight after no problems during the open beta. Tried a reinstall. No help.
    It sits there for 5 mins then times out. It certainly feels like a port being blocked. There was similar difficulties that came up a year or two ago with Guild Wars that affected a lot of people and that was the problem. Based on recommendations on one of the GW forums I ended up changing ISPs to fix it back then. Don't really want to have to go down that road again. :(

Edit: I'm in Australia BTW.
    edited September 2009
    amnarii wrote:
    Today is the second time I have had this issue. Not sure what/why might be causing it, I thought the first time (on the first) it might have been servers being updated or something... I took like an hour away from my PC and came back to it working fine.

This time I know a friend is in game, he logged out and back in... so it is not a server issue, but a connection issue.

Just because I had a weird connection problem with another website (Wizards of the Coast) a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be on the end of my internet provider (but only with that one website)... how many of us are in America using Comcast to connect? It'd be an awfully big coincidence if we all (or most) are!

well my int provider is embarq, so thats probably not the problem.
    edited September 2009
    Shakari wrote:
    I, too, am using Comcast. It seems odd that other Comcast users are having the same problem...

Not really.. just a conicident.. as I have the problem but not that connection.. and I'm sure there are hundreds of other people who got other providers, so i doubt it's related to that.
    edited September 2009
    FWIW, you can run the game without going through the launcher. Just go to your Champions Online/Live folder and run the GameClient.

Anyhoo, I tried logging in. The account server is down it seems.
    edited September 2009
    HellfireOL wrote:
    totally agreed quit QQin and wait for them to get to it... hell atleast its not like Warhammer launch where u cant stay in server for more then 5 mins

Are you a moron, thats what this post is about. Like you never got mad for buying something that don't work all the time. Some people have it worst than others too, help or don't comment.
    edited September 2009
    Malvania wrote:
    Obviously this thread is growing fast... and obviously cryptic has HAD TO OF seen it by now...
    I trust that you created a support ticket as well?

I'd hope that there are some support staff monitoring support tickets, but I wouldn't expect board admin/mods to be constantly monitoring the boards when it's out of their usual workday/evening.

BTW I logged a support ticket about 20-30 min ago to make sure it's in someones ticket queue...
    edited September 2009
    Shakari wrote:

No its not a Comcast thing I live in Bangkok using CSLoxinfo (who u probably nver heard of:-) and am still getting the same problem....
    edited September 2009
    i just got this problem i was playing fine this morning so what happened any dev answer to this uet would be nice with some response :S

Mad
    edited September 2009
    Same here crashed 10 mins ago, now the patcher is timing out :S a solution would be nice..
    edited September 2009
    same here to was fine last nite.
    edited September 2009
    i just bought this game to try it and it isnt working.... god hate when i make bad decisions T_T
    edited September 2009
    "Please be patient"

ugh what a JOKE!!

i paid money to play a game. fair enough there may be downtime here and there but to have no support offered or even an explanation.

Not happy right now.
    edited September 2009
    amnarii wrote:
    Today is the second time I have had this issue. Not sure what/why might be causing it, I thought the first time (on the first) it might have been servers being updated or something... I took like an hour away from my PC and came back to it working fine.

This time I know a friend is in game, he logged out and back in... so it is not a server issue, but a connection issue.

Just because I had a weird connection problem with another website (Wizards of the Coast) a few weeks ago, and it turned out to be on the end of my internet provider (but only with that one website)... how many of us are in America using Comcast to connect? It'd be an awfully big coincidence if we all (or most) are!

I have comcast.
    edited September 2009
    Well if I can't connect I'm glad I'm not the only one ( it looks like it's everyone being affected). I'm sure they'll get on top of the issue and fix it though!

Concerning the realtex sound issue, I have asus realtex win 64 and my sound eventually does crap out, but the network fortunately does not go with it!

I also jumped to client load skipping patcher and still can't log in, looks like they'll be burning some morning oil there ironing this one out!

Tonal
    edited September 2009
    Me and a friend have it too. Connection is stuck at SYN_SENT. So this raises the obvious question:

WHERE'S MAH GODDAMN SYNACK :mad:

Just kidding. Server is probably down. They should mention that somewhere though.
    edited September 2009
    Hrm was playing fine till this morning - now I'm getting the "Trying to update launcher" thing as well... :confused:
    edited September 2009
    getting the same launcher error here.

tried running gameclient.exe and account server doesnt respond. :confused:
    edited September 2009
    The_Strand wrote:
    Hrm was playing fine till this morning - now I'm getting the "Trying to update launcher" thing as well... :confused:

same here

(message too short)
    edited September 2009
    thats the same as i am getting, does it mean the servers are down? or is somthing wrong my end?
    edited September 2009
    yep.. was fine yesterday.. now today "trying to update"

seems like their junks broke and no one around to fix it...
    edited September 2009
    have it aswell.
    edited September 2009
    I am glad to hear this isn't a localized (even if they cover most of America, they are localized) issue...

The last problem I had which WAS them seemed so weird; only one website I couldn't access, and even then parts of it were available. When I started searching to see if it was a global issue or just me, I started finding out that everyone else who was complaining was on Comcast - who denies they had anything to do with the error; however after a few hundred support tickets were opened with them, it disappeared in a day.

I hope that this is something simple like a server reboot is needed or something; but it sure seems odd that some people are playing fine, can log out and back in, yet others of us can't get in trying repeatedly (every ~5 minutes) for the past three or four hours!
    edited September 2009
    Where the hell is the reply from a Dev? This is really bad and not helping the game take off. Talk to us, is it that hard, at least people will then stop spam posting as they've seen you know whats going on....
    edited September 2009
    same thing
    edited September 2009
    Me too! I was playing last night now I can't seem to connect!
    edited September 2009
    Same deal... Having this since last night, I thought tomorrow (as in today) the problem will be fixed, apparently everyone is having it and it is still there ... Sigh..

Any fix or news on that?
    edited September 2009
    I have the same problem...

In Germany its 2 pm and I cant play :(

Shouldnt the devs work 24/7 after release? :p

So please do something to fix this :)
    edited September 2009
    Same issue here.... Please be patient?!? I have a city to Save! Evil to Smite!

This is as bad as cellular phones making phone booths extinct!

Video Gamers don't have patience anymore, It's not like we have to "press play on tape" or finish with ,8,1. :D

Luckily most gamers have other games to play... cya. *whooosh*
    edited September 2009
    Lack of response does not bode well for this game :confused:
    edited September 2009
    im having this problem as well, was fine when i log off last night for work and this morning im get "trying to up date patcher please be patient" and then it times out.
    edited September 2009
    I just had this issue occur (7:58 am EST) after playing all day yesterday.
    edited September 2009
    I am begining to think its their data centers, blocking some traffic or what not that is preventing the patcher to talk to the patch server... I tried to tracert the patch server, and guess what, the packages get dropped / stopped.

Cryptic, check with your network / datacenter / carriers...
    edited September 2009
    might as weill add my name to the list of people who cant log in :(
    edited September 2009
    Id rather have more focus on fixing the problem at hand than having people on here holding our hands telling us everything is going to be ok. All were going to get even if they take the time to respond is the general macro "We are sorry for the inconvenience we are currently working on the problem"
    edited September 2009
    Got it aswell :)

They are prolly working on it, just take a break and go read some comics !! :p
    edited September 2009
    im not using Comcast, im using DSL and still having these problems, i was fine earlier, was PvPing/doing missions just fine, log out for a few mins to check something and poof, i keep getting this error... i wonder if the devs are watching cause if they are they would have said something by now or does this thread need to reach 219 pages like the lifetime sub did before a dev sees it?
    edited September 2009
    xShonuffx wrote:
    Are you a moron, thats what this post is about. Like you never got mad for buying something that don't work all the time. Some people have it worst than others too, help or don't comment.

Actually i dont believe ive ever been angry over down time...Its a new launch expect issues. And the only "help" anyone can give is if someone actually finds a solution, which i dont see on here. So why not tell everyone on this 20+ page thread that they arent helping and shouldnt post. My "help" try giving the machine a restart if it dont work call tech support and see if they have an answer, then come back here and tell everyone what they said....
    edited September 2009
    Same here. Trying to update launcher then times out. Will try to reinstall and see what happens...
    edited September 2009
    Stop *****ing about devs not responding. I'm 100% sure they are aware of the issue with several posts blowing up. It takes time to get people out of bed and to work. Then I'm pretty sure public relations is the lowest priority when you have an issue like this. Don't get me wrong I'd like to hear from a Dev as well but please be patient. Go the hell outside.
    edited September 2009
    Yeah bought game on steam, getting the Idle message too.

Bought Fallout 2 same time though, so will fire that up.
    edited September 2009
    Same problem as others reported and like many others, I have been successfully playing the game since Beta. This just began this morning.

Comcast as my connection to the Net, no other applications running on my system.
    edited September 2009
    WFCFatal wrote:
    Everyone chill. As a long time veteran of MMO's I can tell ya that this happens the first few months.

Just post on here "cant connect, or having this issue" and any technical advice you can find and leave it at that.

Don't be so egocentric as to think cryptic is going to come to you and go "-pat pat- it'll be ok scamp were on this!"

For all you know the devs are already working on it and just aren't bothering to post it on here.

Get a lil irritated when I see a game less then a week old with all these people having all this self-entitlement. "We pay your wages answer us rawr kew;ajfkawe;jkwa, im gonna quit cuz of one bug that'll be fixed in no time... rawr"

:p

Get back to ya bong...MellowMan :eek:
    Yea we are all long term MMO'ers.

THIS IS NOT BETA ANYMORE - THIS IS THE PAID FOR LIVE GAME NOW
    Everybody who thinks that these companies should have an extra month in un-official beta testing should join the real World, the people that say these things must be working for the company or related in some manner as the more this happens on new LIVE releases the more companies are gonna pull this kinda ****!

Can you imagine if 20th Century Fox released a movie and it wasnt finished.....:rolleyes: