What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

If You Just Get "Trying to update the launcher." Post Here

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Posts: 1,156,071 Arc User
    edited September 2009
    Dirtwolf wrote:
    World Of.. Dorkmaths?

Anyway, I think its because the servers are down. It worked for me all night and just stopped working now, and just started happening to a friend of mine too.

Im not entirely sure its the servers though. If I keep trying until i get to the launcher it says next to a little green bubble 'server up'. maybe this is different from what your talking about though.
    edited September 2009
    Considering this is the first time since launch that servers went down, it still ranks well under WoW and CoH in terms of server issues :)
    edited September 2009
    They could at least made the prompt a bit more exciting, included a animated loading bar or whatever, something to justify the money i spent for a game i cant play.

As people have said 'these things happen at launch blah blah' which is understandable but the least they could do is keep us up to date on any progress with the problem.
    edited September 2009
    /signed

I've been having the issue all morning, though the server is supposed to be "down" atm.
    edited September 2009
    NexusElite wrote:
    They could at least made the prompt a bit more exciting, included a animated loading bar or whatever, something to justify the money i spent for a game i cant play.

As people have said 'these things happen at launch blah blah' which is understandable but the least they could do is keep us up to date on any progress with the problem.

http://www.champions-online.com/frontpage
    I think they've giving up and are simply trying to keep the beta players on bored with there little tribute video :P
    edited September 2009
    Never had this problem before, have it today trying to get the new patcher.

There was a vista update last night, idk if that is a factor.
    edited September 2009
    Funktapus wrote:
    Never had this problem before, have it today trying to get the new patcher.

There was a vista update last night, idk if that is a factor.

I was fine until today as well. It's probably vista usually is lol.
    edited September 2009
    30 minutes past the scheduled time for servers to be back up and no updates...

Gonna head back to WoW here shortly. I don't feel like dealing with a month of this.
    edited September 2009
    I just started having this problem today. Ridiculous.
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this problem now too
    I'm also having a problem with the forums, every other page I try to open times out
    edited September 2009
    FFS!!!! I come home from a long day at work just to get this problem. Hope they solve it ASAP.
    edited September 2009
    Aah! Now I'm having this problem!
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this problem as well. If i curcumvent the launcher and go straight to the game client, it just says "connecting to the account server" for about 5 minutes then goes back to login.
    edited September 2009
    I'm having this problem just as of today though. Was playing fine through open beta, early access and even the first few days of launch. Strange.
    It's not really that big of a problem...for those of you that bough lifetime subs, you have forever to play, relax and ease up a bit. Cruptic probably didn't think the game would be that big, and are having server problems...it would seem so if me and a lot of other people are having website time outs as well. Give them a bit, it'll be resolved as soon as they can.
    edited September 2009
    aren't the servers down? and thats why we are all having this problem
    edited September 2009
    Yea I've been getting that message since I started playing.
    edited September 2009
    ye, servers are down.
    (so I have this updating error message as well atm)

i can't find though any comments or news update that the servers are supposed to be down, or, if there is a problem, when they can be excpected to be back up again ....
    edited September 2009
    Get a life, you guys must.
    edited September 2009
    they had a post up earlier but quickly pulled it down. there is still one that says that there is an issue with the patcher, but that doesnt address why we cant get into the game. they had posted that there would be a 3 hour maintenance, ending at 12 PST, but 12 pst is an hour ago at this point, and they havent posted anything at all. what a joke
    edited September 2009
    akiraokami wrote:
    I'm having this problem now too
    I'm also having a problem with the forums, every other page I try to open times out

what this person said ^^ :(
    edited September 2009
    The servers are still down, though the should have been up an hour ago according the the Dev thread, but this is an MMO just 3 days after release, so am not really surprised, it's quite common that MMO's have these kind of problem, takes a couple of days before it settles in and gets stable.
    edited September 2009
    same issue here. It started today, i can no longer access the game, patcher won't start, and i can barely access the forums. Half the time it gets timed out.
    edited September 2009
    This issue seems very similar to the one I experience when starting a new MMO, my ISP plusnet catagorises traffic and if a profile for the ports in use has not been set it counts the connection to a new mmo as low priority.

So far it's happened to me with a few mmo's AoC... WAR... and now this..

We need to clarify if its definately a server issue..

What country and ISP are you all connecting from.

UK
    PLUSNET

Also if this is the reason for the problem please can we have a list of ports needed so i can inform my provider rather than having to wireshark the data
    edited September 2009
    F this, I'm going back to WoW.
    edited September 2009
    Im having the same problem.
    edited September 2009
    Same issue here!
    edited September 2009
    im pretty ****ed right now. i needed some Champions Online after a long day at work. ****!
    edited September 2009
    Same issue.
    edited September 2009
    Through closed and open beta I had no trouble, but I did a fresh install since I picked up the retail version yesterday, and now I am having this issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

-spartanblue
    edited September 2009
    Forums are timing out because most of the people that would be playing are on them slowing them down. There's also maintenance going on that is causing the patcher issue. If anyone was part of the open beta, you'd know that the same issue was happening when everyone was trying to update the game on opening day at the same time. Same thing is happening basically.

I'm getting the same problem with the patcher and the forums. For most of you the problem will resolve when the game becomes available to play again.
    edited September 2009
    Same problem - again.

I understand its new... but I would assume they could do a little better with the problem.
    edited September 2009
    Kelaya wrote:
    Forums are timing out because most of the people that would be playing are on them slowing them down. There's also maintenance going on that is causing the patcher issue. If anyone was part of the open beta, you'd know that the same issue was happening when everyone was trying to update the game on opening day at the same time. Same thing is happening basically.

I'm getting the same problem with the patcher and the forums. For most of you the problem will resolve when the game becomes available to play again.

Well, I tend to agree regarding the forums, however the patcher issue I don't, as the devs post on the front has identified the patcher not working as an issue with the patcher, not because everyone is trying to update the game at the same time.

And, yes, when the game is available, naturally most of the problems will be solved.. that is not something that is news to the people watching the patcher issue thread.:)
    edited September 2009
    any chance of us getting a straight answer? My program just pauses "updating launcher" which i assume is what everyone is having........., is the game up or down etc
    edited September 2009
    Down. For the #492 time since release.
    edited September 2009
    I'm having the same issue here.
    edited September 2009
    I was fine until the patch today, after 12 i couldn't get on because of the launcher.
    edited September 2009
    I also have this problem this afternoon and is a nuisance because we're stripping game days. solucioin already one please
    edited September 2009
    At least we are not talking about the fps we get ingame!

Come on guys... we all knew this would happen... no MMO has been launched in the market withous problems... AoC anyone? When WoW released was a real beta... let's give them time to fix it... they are working on it and that's very good!
    edited September 2009
    Obviously I can’t log in as anyone else at the moment.

I don’t have a problem with not being able to play since I’m sure Cryptic will compensate us for this with a free day playtime as other MMORPG brands did in the past, when troublesome patches happened.

What I’m having a problem with is, that no one at Cryptic feels the inherent need of informing us what exactly is going on right now and what we might expect.

What is a community manager good for, if he isn’t communicating?

My 2-cent.
    Yafu
    edited September 2009
    Just canceled my subscription. Was fun while it lasted! Hope everyone else has better luck.
    edited September 2009
    Please click one of the Quick Reply icons in the posts above to activate Quick Reply.
    edited September 2009
    Yup, same problem.
    edited September 2009
    Yeah same here..
    edited September 2009
    Geers wrote:
    Just canceled my subscription. Was fun while it lasted! Hope everyone else has better luck.

Omg try to cry a little more the game has not even been launched for more then a week, you know if you can't take this, i don't think mmos is the thing for you dude.
    edited September 2009
    welp, I'm kinda glad I didn't get a subscription straight away, but It's not great so far.

The reason you Beta, devs, is to forsee problems like this.

fail :(
    edited September 2009
    Can't get into the game, have been trying for about 2 hours. Stays on the patcher autoupdater thing for a bit then says network timed out.

I'm In BC Canada with Shaw ISP
    edited September 2009
    same problem here. This kind of issue should have been fixed in beta.
    edited September 2009
    I'm having the same problem:mad :(
    edited September 2009
    Same problem here. I installed the retail client on 9/01/09 and have had no issues with it until now.
    edited September 2009
    Broken-Jex wrote:

Omg try to cry a little more the game has not even been launched for more then a week, you know if you can't take this, i don't think mmos is the thing for you dude.

Hey, Everyone has a right to vote with their wallet.